What salary to pay

Boutique luxe resort which aims to expand and develop further three resorts

Experienced IT person who understands anything from Cisco to servers to mail servers and wine dispensers pretty much all the it side that keeps the tech resort going.

Also covers web based services sites and so on.

What would be the ideal salary to pay for a foreigner .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What to pay ?

Easy

Western equivalent salary + housing allowance + two return home air tickets per year.

You would not want anything other than the best ---------------------

By "Western equivalent salary", I assume you mean a salary considerably lower than the West to allow for the fact that the cost of living in Krabi is considerably lower than the West, my estimate being 40% lower than the average Western European city. Housing in Krabi is cheap, you can get a nice apartment for 10k baht a month if you get a 6- or 12-month lease. Likewise, air tickets to Europe are cheap and abundant if you fly from Phuket. You should definitely not be paying "equivalent salary" (i.e. the same) as the West. The overall cheapness of Krabi and the many perks of living in Thailand are already incentive enough for many people to accept a much lower salary, perhaps half of what they would be earning in Europe. The majority of expats relocating to Thailand gladly accept a lower "standard" of living (i.e. less money) in exchange for a higher "quality" of living (less stress, fewer rules and regulations, much better weather, tastier food, lower cost of living in many respects, better options for getting an attractive partner, proximity of many other exotic Asian destinations) and so there's simply no need to overpay employees an "equivalent" (=same) salary to the West.

Low Salary = low quality employee = High risk of resignation. Of course, not Western salary, but not 30k thb definitely. I think for 80-100k thb you can find good candidate, not just another backpacker, who will go away next month.

Living in Krabi can be boring, this is also a factor not to be overlooked.

What to pay ?

Easy

Western equivalent salary + housing allowance + two return home air tickets per year.

You would not want anything other than the best ---------------------

By "Western equivalent salary", I assume you mean a salary considerably lower than the West to allow for the fact that the cost of living in Krabi is considerably lower than the West, my estimate being 40% lower than the average Western European city. Housing in Krabi is cheap, you can get a nice apartment for 10k baht a month if you get a 6- or 12-month lease. Likewise, air tickets to Europe are cheap and abundant if you fly from Phuket. You should definitely not be paying "equivalent salary" (i.e. the same) as the West. The overall cheapness of Krabi and the many perks of living in Thailand are already incentive enough for many people to accept a much lower salary, perhaps half of what they would be earning in Europe. The majority of expats relocating to Thailand gladly accept a lower "standard" of living (i.e. less money) in exchange for a higher "quality" of living (less stress, fewer rules and regulations, much better weather, tastier food, lower cost of living in many respects, better options for getting an attractive partner, proximity of many other exotic Asian destinations) and so there's simply no need to overpay employees an "equivalent" (=same) salary to the West.

I very much doubt anyone is going to work for 40% less than what they would get back home. Only an arse would do this.

Well said...if my propective employers in Thailand 13 years ago and tried this sales pitch, ie you have to take less cos its Thailand and its a privillage to live in Thailand and the foods good, I would have laughed at them and politely declined the job offer.....why would someone even think about accepting a pay cut just because its Thailand

I can understand someone retires here and takes a job on lower money to fill the day and make a few THB on the side and keep themselves busy, or somemone young taking a gap year and working their way around SEA but surely people who are in the prime of their working lives, who have marketable skills would not entertain taking a knock in salary just to work in Thailand ?....would they ?

• Like 2

How much would the same job pay in the UK? GBP £40,000 per year ?

On that basis (with your 40% less) thats GBP£24,000 per year or THB 1,300,00

Roughly THB 108,000 per month...

For 100 k per month you may be able to find a reasonable Westerner who enjoys living in Thailand and have the right attitude, work ethic and skill set, you will also have work permit issues etc.

For 100 k per month you will be able to find an excellent Thai, fluent in English who'll work hard and have an excellent work ethic and skill set.

For 100 k per month you are placing yourself into the upper education and skill levels...

Or If you don't wish to pay this much, what you are really asking in your opening post is: How little do we think you could get away with paying someone ?

• Like 2

Just no way a foreigner is going to entertain a Thai salary or life style, just to clarify engineers can easily make the same as back home in Bangkok the idea companies only pay Thai rates to foreigners is a myth.

Err not sure what sort of engineer your on about, but O&G "engineering" pays about 30% higher than preveiling international rates in Thailand, excluding any other perks they pick up

Just no way a foreigner is going to entertain a Thai salary or life style, just to clarify engineers can easily make the same as back home in Bangkok the idea companies only pay Thai rates to foreigners is a myth.

Err not sure what sort of engineer your on about, but O&G "engineering" pays about 30% higher than preveiling international rates in Thailand, excluding any other perks they pick up

Network engineer

How much would the same job pay in the UK? GBP £40,000 per year ?

On that basis (with your 40% less) thats GBP£24,000 per year or THB 1,300,00

Roughly THB 108,000 per month...

For 100 k per month you may be able to find a reasonable Westerner who enjoys living in Thailand and have the right attitude, work ethic and skill set, you will also have work permit issues etc.

For 100 k per month you will be able to find an excellent Thai, fluent in English who'll work hard and have an excellent work ethic and skill set.

For 100 k per month you are placing yourself into the upper education and skill levels...

Or If you don't wish to pay this much, what you are really asking in your opening post is: How little do we think you could get away with paying someone ?

Richard gives perfect answer. The OP question is connected directly to my profession (IT Infrastructure Manager), then I confirm Richard's opinion with one remark - this will be hard to find right person in Phuket. I have two friends, and they own IT company in Phuket, and they tell me they can't find suitable local pro in Phuket. Most of local pros live in Bangkok. Some work in Industrial parks like Rayong/upcountry. But Phuket lack skilled IT pros...

In the US, that job would pay about US$70,000 per year plus benefits. 3 weeks vacation, health insurance, etc.

There is a shortage of qualified people in that field in the US right now. Craigslist is advertising for people on their front page right now. Look down and to the left at the green font. Link

This is my field although I retired last year. If I were looking for a job, even considering that I like Thailand, I might take a small pay cut due to cost of living, but I wouldn't look at less than US$50k per year plus annual flights home. Say 125,000 baht pm.

You do, after all, want someone who can actually do it.

In the US, that job would pay about US$70,000 per year plus benefits. 3 weeks vacation, health insurance, etc.

There is a shortage of qualified people in that field in the US right now. Craigslist is advertising for people on their front page right now. Look down and to the left at the green font. Link

This is my field although I retired last year. If I were looking for a job, even considering that I like Thailand, I might take a small pay cut due to cost of living, but I wouldn't look at less than US$50k per year plus annual flights home. Say 125,000 baht pm.

You do, after all, want someone who can actually do it.

Thailand is NOT US. This is a "melting pot", where good pro's exists all the time, and a lot of foreigners live here for years. 125k per month, sounds good. I can sell myself for this money, will relocate from BKK to Phuket, 3-yrs contract, absolutely no annual home flights (Home in Bangkok, I leave my country of origin forever), and even not need work visa, only WP (had NON-O marriage), speak Thai, English and Russian... Working experience 15 yrs...

p.s. I not try to promote myself, just example why approach from "European" "American" vision can be wrong. Good pro will not have the same salary here as in US. I sure, OP can find someone, but as I say before, Phuket will not be an option to look, Bangkok, maybe Chiang Mai.