How Old Were You When You Retired To Thailand?

tc101

How were you when you retired to Thailand?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read lots of stuff here from younger people retiring to Thailand, and it seems to me that there is hardly anyone posting here over 60, or what we would think of as normal retirement age. Is this just because they don't post on this message board, or because when people get older they return to their home country?

Edited by penzman

We are not there yet. Just a wannabe at 57. We could be there now with the low cost of living in Thailand but if we had to go back to U.S., I probably should work another two years for better retirement in U.S. Trading for a living and/or working for Robert Half or other professional temp a few months a year would probably work too. Good question, when should we retire to Thailand? We may try 6 months there and six months here for a while to see what we want.

Whilst I am not totally retired I only spend about half the year working offshore and the rest at home in the central region with my wife and nearly 2 year old son on the farm.

tc101 Posted Today, 2006-05-28 06:23:41

I read lots of stuff here from younger people retiring to Thailand, and it seems to me that there is hardly anyone posting here over 60, or what we would think of as normal retirement age. Is this just because they don't post on this message board, or because when people get older they return to their home country?

To me Thailand is my home country and has been for the last 5 or 6 years and will be for the rest of my life. The country where I was born has no interest to me other than a few friends and my son by my first marriage.

Thaiquila Posted Today, 2006-05-28 08:11:39

I think many people over 60 are not as computer oriented as those under 60.

Yes I am computer literate and I do all of my own computer work with the exception of hard ware but it is probably correct as people of my age, I am 62, were never brought up to use them.

I can't respond. With my current income I will never retire. I'm hoping they stop the flow of illegals into the US so I'll have a job as a janitor there when I am 75.

I've heard endless how people plan on retireing here yet I see very few real old timers here. Do foreigners just die young here or do they eventually go back to their home country? A lot of posters are passionate in their writing exclaiming that they will never leave but eventually a lot do prefering to live in the Wets and visit regularly. I wonder if anyone on this board is like that.

I'm 44, I've lived in Thailand for 1 year previously & I'll be returning in July with no intention of returning to the western world. I will not be retiring in Thailand as it is something I don't want to do...I anticipate working until I die.

I just want to get away from all the stifling rules, regs, clockwatching etc etc etc of the west & have the better quality of a less constricted lifestyle. I think Thailand can give me this.

Why not have a SENIOR topic?

We oldies can share our experiences and have a laugh about the "stupid" things the youngsters are doing and saying :D

Btw I am 63 and retired (in Thailand) since december 2004.

All well prepaired and taken care off.

Wondering many times how people can retire with 40-50 years?And I not mean mentally but financially. :o

I retired the first time at 54 and had to tuck my tail between my legs and go back to the states to work for a few more years. A VERY unscrupulous (respectable?) Thai lady (no girlfriend) defrauded me and I decided to just walk away. It wasn't worth getting killed for.

I retired this time at 58 and NO more business deals for me. I am now 61 and happy living out in the boonies.

Maybe we should have a Seniors forum with special rules and moderators.

Anyone who refers to us older citizens as : old farts, fat gits, sexpats, drunks, bloated disgusting old men, or any similar disparaging description would be given their marching orders.

It would be recognised that because of our seniority and experience we are always right on any subject including those of special interest to only us, such as incontinence, farting, etc. Anybody who flames us, argues, or comes into the forum to push their own agendas will be set upon and banned! :o

:D I was ill health retired from teaching at 40...did a few part time jobs in australia, came here at 55, began teaching at a buddhist university for 4 years, then re-retired at 59, this year am 61...some interesting points mentioned...old and grumpy and not much time for fools..read some of the posts of the more younger people and well, hey, time is too short, so a spade is definitely a spade and at least we have some stories to tell and hope many more 60 plus start posting...the good thing about LOS is being old is not a disadvantage..in many ways more of an asset, we have been through the identity process, have loved and lost, laughed and cried and now a little more wiser about the whole existential dilemma...dont think I have all that much in common with people who are post TV generation not to dismiss all of course, the teacher can still be taught, but the real comfort comes from ones peers...so lets say it as it is without any offence to others, but time is too short and some of the stuff I read is not only difficult to understand because of form and syntax but a bit of a yawn...the OLD BEEN THERE DONE THAT SYNDROME!! But sure we can mentor/guide/share but we too need a community of commonality....BOOMING BABIES START WRITING SOME INTERESTING STUFF....dont need the bars/galz/guys/golf/stuff...any one with any ideas, or is that a bit too old hat...if ya want some really good stuff to read and get the synapses going try www.aldaily.com...a blow out, alternative, definitely not mainstream stuff...live now and die later :o Dukkha

Me?.....I'm a contented 66-year old with a stunning Thai wife and a beautiful 4-year old daughter. I was relocated to Thailand, from the UK, by my company 13 years ago and I retired when I was 58. I stayed on in Thailand after retirement and the one thing that I remember vividly was my very first night in Thailand. It was Chinese New Year in 1993 and I was overawed by the place. Even on this first night, I decided that Thailand was where I wanted to live .....and so it became my new home.

I retired due to ill health at 40 years old with a very good company pension, I had been coming to thailand since 1986 on holidays. I had to fight my illness for over 20 years and thailand was a good place to do it with its warm climate. I have been living in thailand now for over 6 years with my wife and I am happy to say that I have won my fight the doc told me last year my illness is gone. :o The battle has left me with athritis in my joints so cold climate is out for me.

By the time I'm 60 I'll probably be so grumpy that I'd be banned from TV... maybe that's why so few oldies post here? :D They tend to be less diplomatic, more likely to call a spade a spade...

Nail on head! :D

... we are always right on any subject ...

:o

In the U.S. at least, oldies use the internet more than the young, according to polls taken years ago.

When you think of it, oldies have more time to surf than the young who are at work.

My sense is that posters on TV are not predominately young, my take on it is that oldies are represented on TV in proportion to their population in Thailand.

I am older than most, chronologically, but younger that most of my contemporaries physically and mentally. Thus generalities in the area of age and computer use are as fraught with fallicy as generalities in general. (Is that a generality?)

I spend time on my computer when not connected online as well as a lot of time on the internet not posting on TV. My posting on TV varies as does my reading of posts so again drawing any conclusion by the number of posts by any demographic is just not possible.

If by retired you mean, no longer work.... Well, I am not retired.

If by retired you mean, financially independent, well I am there. I work now, because I want to, not because I have to. In my mind, that means I am retired, and I am 33.

I came over at 39 and will be 48 later this year. Am I retired? Debatable, in as much as I still need the rental income from my property in the UK to live. Am I financially independent? Not yet, but could be if I sold up, but don't intend doing that for a good few years.

I've heard endless how people plan on retireing here yet I see very few real old timers here.

I guess you never went into the lobby of the Nana Hotel.

Looks like an old folks home :D

:o

I'll ask if we can have a Senior's section, but I doubt it, as there are over 50 sections now. :D

Im hoping to retire there by 30 (4 years away).

But if I dont I will hopefully be a big time developer and retire not too longer after that.

I will build you all a dream house and charge you all a good price.

No scamming here

I'll ask if we can have a Senior's section, but I doubt it, as there are over 50 sections now. :o

Please, please please..........no "Senior's Section". What's the point and how will you define 'seniority'? It will be an open forum unless a subscriber needs to prove that he/she is a 'senior'!

I semi-retired here in 2002. I am now 56 years young!

I still go back to the UK 3 or 4 times a year for business but my life is here.

I have a beautiful wife and a gorgeous 17 month old son.

I would not want to raise my boy in the UK so Thailand will always be our home..... :o

Im hoping to retire there by 30 (4 years away).

But if I dont I will hopefully be a big time developer and retire not too longer after that.

I will build you all a dream house and charge you all a good price.

No scamming here

Lets hope your dream comes true Don.

Its always nice to see people enjoying Thailand as much as I.

Thailand has postive and negative side like anywhere else, but personally, I rather be in Thailand than anywhere else, so, I'm looking forward to that permanent move myself.

I am here age 59 and happy. Been retired here one year. This is my 191 post and it says I am a senior member so that makes me old :o

I know my way around a computer and share dealings on line, so can not be that old in the head as you young ones think we are.

Body standing up (and what my lady likes to stand up at the right times) do not need at this moment in time to use the pills that you young ones take to show you are All Man. :D

We are here in Thailand but not as loud as some of the young ones. :D

We also know we are not Bullet proof. time has taught us this :D

Have a good day :D