Best Bread In Phuket

thaigerd

May be some of you go there already:

LA BASTOGNE BAKERY on Chao Fa road opposite Chalong Temple.

When you come from Charong circle and heading to the Central it's on the left side, a flat red coloured building.

They open 8 o'clock in the morning untill 6 in the evening.

Sunday&Monday closed.

You can watch the owner all day long baking many different kinds of breads, rolls, baguettes etc.

Also some very good pastries in the chilled display fridge inside the shop.

They are not the cheapest but absolute great quality.

BTW: I have nothing to do with this business I just wanted to tell you where I get my bread from.

Have a nice Sunday!

Gerd

Breakfast (Danish, croissants, brown and white toast, wholemeal, Kraftkorn etc) and assorted dinner rolls.

Right now we buy mostly from **a big hotel in Phuket town** (don't want to mention the name). Their prices are good but the quality is not brilliant and the delivery times are not satisfactory. I want my breakfast breads delivered in the morning or at very least late the night before. Not 3pm the day before. If you have any pointers I'd be very grateful.

Par-baked are no good to me, I don't have the facilities to finish them properly.

I know which hotel you are talking about. I used them in a place I've worked before here in Phuket.

What I did: Bought all the ingredients and made it by my self, all the mentioned products.

Luckily I am working at a place now where we have our own bakery :o

Did you ever check the Flintstone Bakery???

They deliver to many places in Patong area, the owner is Swiss, down in Rawai.

When I have any more ideas about your "bread problems" I will let you know.

Gerd

Flintstone bakery has the best croissants around and their bread is very good too, plus they deliver.

Bastogne does good baguettes, though not cheap and the most evil chocolate eclairs ever.

I guess for legal reasons Flinstone bakery has now become Flints-one bakery.

Do they deliver to Patong (I am talking about to a hotel, not a private house)?

Sorry, they do not!

Are you looking for a good bread supplier and what kind of bread are you looking for?

Gerd

I send PM to you about another supplier for you.

Gerd

Flintstone bakery has the best croissants around and their bread is very good too, plus they deliver.

Bastogne does good baguettes, though not cheap and the most evil chocolate eclairs ever.

Never trust a bakery that bakes the night before... if they aint up early in the morning baking bread then its not a real bakery! Flints-one bread is very poor quality and over priced IMHO, their bread seems to have the 'day old' consistancy as soon as you've bought the stuff. I dont use them anymore, there are much better bakeries near by.

Bastogne is a very good bakery, but very expensive. 80baht for a loaf! His bread is fresh but doesnt keep well, i bought two items this weekend, left one overnight for my breakfast and by the next day and the bread wasnt great by the morning. On the day of purchase its lovely though!

Theres a new bakery next to Loma's resturant on the way towards Rawai, seems to be Thai run. They bake twice a day so the bread is fresh, again lovely on the day you buy it, but leave it over night and its not very nice! Also be warned the bread is slightly sweeter than 'farang' bread but not quite as sweet as 'thai' bread. This bakery is quite cheap (30-40baht a loaf)

I'd be interested to hear of other bakeries either towards Phuket town or over the hill towards Kata/Karon.

Never trust a bakery that bakes the night before... if they aint up early in the morning baking bread then its not a real bakery! Flints-one bread is very poor quality and over priced IMHO, their bread seems to have the 'day old' consistancy as soon as you've bought the stuff. I dont use them anymore, there are much better bakeries near by.

Bastogne is a very good bakery, but very expensive. 80baht for a loaf! His bread is fresh but doesnt keep well, i bought two items this weekend, left one overnight for my breakfast and by the next day and the bread wasnt great by the morning. On the day of purchase its lovely though!

Theres a new bakery next to Loma's resturant on the way towards Rawai, seems to be Thai run. They bake twice a day so the bread is fresh, again lovely on the day you buy it, but leave it over night and its not very nice! Also be warned the bread is slightly sweeter than 'farang' bread but not quite as sweet as 'thai' bread. This bakery is quite cheap (30-40baht a loaf)

I'd be interested to hear of other bakeries either towards Phuket town or over the hill towards Kata/Karon.

That's what I said, BASTOGNE is very expensive but I like their quality. The owner starts about 3am every night preparing his doughs etc and bakes until afternoon.

Did you evert try Mannis's Bakery at Chalong Circle, the soi which leads to the pier, he is on the left side.

Gerd

I'm also interested in finding a good supplier of English style bread (not pre-sliced). I'll go and chat to Flintstone sometime. Someone bought me a so-called English style loaf of sliced bread from TOPS. It was NOT nice. The baker possibly doesn't realise that Brits don't use sugar in their breads.

I can recommend Mani's German Bakery for baguettes, rolls and German style bread. It's close to the traffic lights near Karon Plaza.

...their bread seems to have the 'day old' consistancy as soon as you've bought the stuff. I dont use them anymore, there are much better bakeries near by.

Have to agree with Wolfie here, though, the bread does keep very well, especially if you toast it.

I use Flints-one only because it's the least worst. Bastogne prices are just taking the p1ss and are not worth the slightly better quality than Flints-one.

• 8 months later...
There is a new bakery in Patong since December 2006. It is located on the ground floor of Patong Condotel (SkyInn). The name is Grottino Swissbakery. The do delivery in the Patong area and the shop is open from 8am to 7pm. Check out the website helvethai.com

Don't bother. They are crap :o

I will add my vote for "The Bakery" just past the Chalong Circle going south on the left hand side. It is Thai owned and their bread is always fresh. I find it keeps quite well. My kids love the croissants. I also like their whole wheat loaves. The prices are reasonable and the owners are very friendly.

La Basogne is an authentic but pricey bakery and worth splashing out every now & then although when I really want a fresh croissant is Sunday and they are closed then.

The bread at TOPS bakery in Central is quite good and fresh as are the baguettes at Carrefour.

I Tried Manni's and Flints-one a couple of times and was disappointed.

Will try "The Bakery " off Chalong circle... road to Rawai? Are they open on Sunday?

I think there is a slight problem if you talk about "best" bread. You have to specify which type of bread you mean.

I - maybe in opposition to some others - love the so called dark rather sour dough bread and I think Eddy, the Marathon man, makes by far the best bread of this type. He delivers to Patong Food and Deli's Supermarket in Patong. Besides, I also agree that the new Carrefour in Patong has some excellent bread, especially the small white rolls for Baht 5 are worth its price.

I think there is a slight problem if you talk about "best" bread. You have to specify which type of bread you mean.

I - maybe in opposition to some others - love the so called dark rather sour dough bread and I think Eddy, the Marathon man, makes by far the best bread of this type. He delivers to Patong Food and Deli's Supermarket in Patong. Besides, I also agree that the new Carrefour in Patong has some excellent bread, especially the small white rolls for Baht 5 are worth its price.

Yes, you are right!

For that kind of bread(dark sour dough)I am shopping at Patong Food as well.

Does Eddy has somewhere his own shop?

Gerd

Hallo Gerd,

from German to German:

No, Eddy is something like a "lone runner". His nickname is "Fast Eddy" as he - as far as I am informed - is an avid marathon runner. He has moved from Patong to Nai Harn some time ago (unfortunately new address unknown). He only delivers to some hotels, diving companies and those 2 shops I mentioned. He bakes several types of bread. The one I like rather love is about Baht 75 for half a loaf (in a plastic bag). Maybe you can leave a message for him at the bread counter of Deli's. I am not sure whether he has a mobile phone any longer. A said above, a lone runner!

P.S. Where can I find the delicious Cheese cake you posted the photos of a few weeks ago?

• 2 weeks later...
The bread at Carrefour is great. :o

But not all of it

worth trying the walnut loaf

We used to go to Bastogne when they opened,then prices were competitive, now they are just greedy.

Flints are good for cakes and his jams,particularly raspberry ,are excellent.

I really enjoy Artisan Breads of Paula's Cafe in Surin Beach.

She's done the only decent sough-dough bread I've found on the island (starter is really from SF too) and I like the whole wheat.

She's got an extensive bread menu from peta to focissica (sp?)

and I love her desert breads. She's got this one called monkey bread (it doesn't actually have bannannas in it though it's got apple butter and it's delicious)

she also bakes some mean cakes and deserts

Real cheese cake and key lime anyone?

The cafe is also a wonderful place for a sandwich and a coffee. I recommend it.