Third Bridge Over Mekhong River

george

Thailand contributes nearly 2 million baht to the construction of a third bridge on the Mekong River

Listen to interview here

A third bridge spanning the Mekong River from Thailand to Laos would be completed within the next three years. This, according to the Governor of Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai.

This bridge would enable vehicles to travel from Bangkok to the Chinese southern city of Kunming.

The project will be discussed further at a meeting in Chiang Rai tomorrow.

China, Thailand and Vietnam have previously expressed ambitious plans for Laos's economic growth .By funding the construction of the third bridge, is Thailand trying to overtake China and Vietnam?

Valarie Tan put this question to Mr Somchai Homlaor, Secretary General of Forum Asia in Thailand.

SH: I don’t think so. But I think that the Thail government and the government in this region have the same understanding and agreeement that they would like to be progressive in terms of economic development together. One country should not be left behind. Because if the economic benefits in one country, normally it would also benefit the development in all the other countries.

The Third Bridge is part of the larger R3 Project that will link Thailand, Laos and southern China. Is Vietnam intentionally left out of the picture?

SH: This bridge will connect between Thailand and Vietnam by going to Southern of Laos. I don’t think in this aspect, Vietnam will be left behind. I think that this project is also agreed upon by the Vietnamese government at the meeting amongst the cabinet members between Thailand and Vietnam recently.

So you’re saying there’s no potential for any conflict amongst Vietnam, Thailand and China in building this third bridge?

SH: What I really concerned is not the impact to the relations between the countries in the region. But I concerned about the impact to the people.

Why do you say that?

SH: I think that because of the better communication and transportation, you’ll have more human trafficking, the spread of disease will be really fast, and some bits of economic growth, it may not really benefit to the grassroots people.

So who are the people who will really benefit from the construction of the third bridge?

SH: The country like Thailand or even in Laos, Vietnam. I think that there’s a small group of the people really get the benefits from the development. They focus more on the economic growth in terms of GDP rather than generating of the incomes. The infrastructure used under economic plan or economic cooperation have to be an opportunity to the people who have much economic power like the investors rather than the villagers.

Would you say then that even though it’s a bridge to connect Thailand and China to Laos, Laotians would not be able to enjoy the economic benefits that are promised with the construction of the third bridge?

SH: Yes, I think the majority of the population, especially, in Laos, they’re a mixed minority. I think that the problem of human resource development is still a really big. How can they catch up with the modern style of economic development and urbanisation? I think the government of Laos, Thailand and even Vietnam have to think about this. People especially the grassroots people have been already well-prepared for the new development or not?

Mr Somchai Homlaor, Secretary General of Forum Asia in Thailand. He was speaking to Valarie Tan.

--Radio Singapore

Listen to interview here

• Like 1

It is interesting to note that a bridge leading into and out of the country seems to be an OK project but something like Internet traffic is to stay within Thailand. It is a tragedy to think of the Internet as it is supposed to be, free for all to use for communications and then see what is really Intranet being established under the false assumption that it is Internet, and being sold to Thai people as Internet. There is no wall to the real Internet that stops at any countries borders.

If China finishes the other 27? (not sure) dams it's  building on the very same river, they won't need any bridges.  Just throw a handkerchief down and step over it.

:o LMAO... I heard it was already over a meter lower than this time last year. Seriously though, China must know what they are doing (or don't they give a sh*t)?