FDA blames Japanese anime for Thai teens' obsession with body image

webfact

IMO Thai ladies are the most beautiful in the world. When you look at 18 year old's there are many nationalities that are equally as beautiful but they seem to lose there looks as they get older where as Thai ladies retain their looks much longer. There are many reason why i live in Thailand all the pretties to look at everyday is just one of them.

They retain their looks I agree, some of them even manage to do it without surgery, but they aren't the prettiest and they most certainly aren't the sexiest. smile.png

Actually, most retain their looks and figures too. After dek dek they don't usually become fat-asses like Westerners do.

We could go off topic, as to who are the prettiest and sexiest, but let's not.. wink.png

Their is a large genetic difference in weight gain between caucasians and Asians in pregnancy, depending on initial BMI, and most Caucasions start with a BMI above 25. Most Asians are at the lower end of BMI, but above minimal recommended limits, and so don't gain too much weight. I'm going off-topc 555... but who's sexier after delivering child? Defo Asians.

Going back to on-topic... I believe the images in the Japanese cartoons are nothing to do with weight reducing pills, (and tea and coffee addiction giggle.gif ), but are a result of over-indulence, especially that displayed by parents who can suddenly afford to, nowadays. We are all aware that the younger generation, and I mean much younger, are suffering from gluttony and obesity. That has nothing to do with tablets being taken, or so said addictions, but merely to do with the fact of the introduction of western foods (and Japanese foods too). This researcher should have looked at the overall affects of Oishi, Macs, KFC, etc, in order to establish something of warranted quantity and blame. wink.png

Edited by Why ask

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and it certainly cannot be the fault of all those skin-and-bones, white-as-snow actresses and actors that are appearing ad nauseam in LOCAL soap operas and advertisements, can it?

"When searching for a culprit, always look for foreigners first" (old Thai proverb)

violin.gifviolin.gifviolin.gifviolin.gif

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

If parents spent more time educating their kids and contributing to enhancing their self confidence..we wouldn't need to be so concerned

First you must educate the parents..................coffee1.gif

Youa are absolutely right...therefore I guess the trend will continue

FDA blames Japanese anime for Thai teens' obsession with body image

To FDA:

Dudes, you are missing an opportunity here! Just tell them teens that they too can get bodies like that:

if they exercise regularly! Slam, bam, thank you ma'm! So, get campaigning correctly and everybody benefits...

BREAKING NEWS, if you cover yourself with Ice Cream (vanilla) your skin will go white,,, if you can't read English and use chocolate, too bad, it really works.

Try it out with someone you love or use chocolate on someone you hate,, been to korea and japan,, they are all nuts no matter what country you travel to.

Has anyone else ever noticed when there is a problem with something in Thailand it is always a foreigners fault?

Notice what?

Sure noticed, but it's a well known factor! In fact, the "arrogant ignorance" is Thailand's trademark ! It's the easiest way for Thailand to cover up their;

• incompetency in ... well, almost everything!
  • take no responsibility for anything

And,

I also notice, that a lot of people can't read, and only ask stupid questions!

If the FDA did a better job at educating the public about sensible eating habits and promoting good quality cooking oils (as virtually everything in Thailand appears to be fried or deep fried and I'm pretty sure your local food shop most probably uses the cheapest possible variety which is often hydrogenated), then maybe obesity wouldn't be such a problem. Thais don't appear to have the best diets as it is, the standard meal seems to consist of primarily carbs and protein (rice and meat). The FDA need to do a better job at promoting a balanced diet and schools need to do a better job at promoting exercise. But of course it's easier to blame everyone else than to your actual job (like controlling the sale of these stupid pills + public education), just as it's easier to find a BS quick fix to the problem like these all so fashionable 'diet pills'. They drug test a large quantity of randomly selected students at my school every term - how about implementing some kind of BMI and health check scheme?

Shouldn't the FDA blame MCOT for allowing TV stations and comic book printers for that?

Has anyone else ever noticed when there is a problem with something in Thailand it is always a foreigners fault?

Show me a society where teenagers are not obsessed with body image? More garbage from ageing senior members of society saying the first things that come into their head.

Instead, it would be better if they looked at the REASON why people are overweight or have bad bodies to begin with!!!

people are ALWAYS going to want a better body, so there is no point blaming slender japanese comics, or the endless pretty slim girls in THAI TV COMMERCIALS and TV DRAMAS and THAI POP VIDEOS.

how about telling Thai children that KFC and MacDonalds and Dunkin Donouts and Starbucks frappacinno drinks are the Cause of their bad bodies!!

if they are taught to the evils of all this junk food and sweet drinks, then its a far more valuable lesson to children!

but of course that will never happen as the government would not want to cause these junk food enterprises to lose money!

so its better they blame a Japanese comic book and nothing else! Lol cheesy.gif

Edited by easybullet3

animatic, on 17 Feb 2014 - 13:32, said:

It is quite obviously fantasy and not any form of reality, at most cosplay acting out.

So, why can the FDA assume anyone else can't see that?

Oh yes, because the FDA brass can't see that.

Some would say Thailand is a "fantasy" world simply because it refuses to face reality.

Sayonarax, on 17 Feb 2014 - 14:18, said:

And all along i thought it was Korea, Thais were opposed with..

unless the girls read comic books too?

Did marvel and dc comics make us think we were Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne?

facepalm.gif

No, but I thought I was superman and jumped off the house roof...guess what, I'm not superman. lol

Hmmm.... the next thing you know they will be blaming Calvin Klein for giving Thai boys an inferiority complex about their genitals.

ROFL! LMFAO! Reminds me of another thred about what we want Thai women to know about us... "Don't worry, cutie, this is gonna hurt. I'm not a Thai boy."

Unrealistically thin body image aspirations are a global problem. It's largely a female issue but some men are also effected. It's probably silly to focus on the blame game. Those supplements mentioned can cause permanent damage and even kill. Also the very underweight can die from common health problems like a bout of diarrhea. Not to mention full blown anorexia which also of course kills. Of course many in Thailand still don't get enough food because they don't have enough food. But in modern times even in Thailand TOO MUCH FOOD (especially the really damaging stuff like processed foods and sugars) is the bigger problem. This toxic fight against that with dangerous medications is actually related to the growth of obesity in Thailand which so far the Thai government seems to be ignoring. Of course there are wonderful natural ways to prevent obesity, but Thailand is in the early stages of this globesity epidemic, and largely very uneducated on these matters.

At least one country thinks regulating the media images is worth doing. Israel.

http://fashionista.com/2012/03/new-israeli-law-bans-use-of-underweight-models/

Personally, I don't think this kind of thing can really be regulated in a globalized world. People will still see such images online!

Edited by Jingthing

IMO Thai ladies are the most beautiful in the world. When you look at 18 year old's there are many nationalities that are equally as beautiful but they seem to lose there looks as they get older where as Thai ladies retain their looks much longer. There are many reason why i live in Thailand all the pretties to look at everyday is just one of them.

Look again. Who are you kissing up to?

Edited by CIHUAHUA

The Japanese are at fault for Thai permissiveness, bulimia, anorexia, self absorption, Thai narcissism, self delusion. All these societal woes can be thrown at the feet of the Japanese. Thai fixations with these characteristics of self adoration and inferiority are the fault of the Japanese.

You don't see Thai bar girls, five star bar freelancers, Thai masseuses working hard in the sex trade complaining about Japanese anime. They are too busy making money and feeding off the dreams and illusions of foreigners seeking for that sexy body, that alluring smile, that willingness to please. Thai sex workers have no problem with Japanese anime.