Farang road rage

Chiengmaijoe

The reason why Thailand has low incidents of road rage, is that it`s likely one of the parties concerned will have a knife or a gun and kill you. Common sense prevailing, most Thai motorists prefer to keep their heads down increasing their odds of getting to wherever it is they are going in one piece.

yes, I agree..... one-part Buddhism (social protocol), one-part fear.

However, Thais generally are far less 'reactive' than the average Farang yahoo.....worth baring mind that with Thais there is no 1,2,3... only 3 !! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Coming to Thailand, and CM for the first time, and renting a bike or a car and navigating this city is a fairly daunting experience.Ok for us that have lived here for a while but the 2 way bicycle ways are just an example that you may not expect.The left turn at some red lights is also not on in my country,then we have red lights where no left hand turn is allowed until they turn green but people still do.

The number of, especially Chinese tourists, wobbling around on motor bikes and bicycles is quite scary many of them are obviously doing it for the first time.

Motor cycles that weave in and out,jockeying for prime positions don't exactly help either,expect it to get worse as the city gradually moves towards grid lock.

The number of, especially Chinese tourists, wobbling around on motor bikes and bicycles is quite scary many of them are obviously doing it for the first time.

Humorous statement considering the number of bicycles and cyclists in China must number billions

Black shirt man shouldn't be on a bike he can't drive

Between the Chinese and farang tourists, Thai drivers are starting to look pretty good in comparison. There are a lot of streets downtown where it is legal for bicycles to go in both directions, if one stays in the bicycle lane near the curb. I am always getting stupid Westerners yelling and screaming at me for going "the wrong way", because they have no idea what the regulations are here.

I've had Thais scream at me in that situation too. Now I'll only bicycle in the same direction as motor traffic even if there is a bicycle lane that makes it legal to go the other way. If drivers think that it's illegal for bicycles to be riding against the flow of traffic, then probably it's not going to be very safe to do it on that street.

Between the Chinese and farang tourists, Thai drivers are starting to look pretty good in comparison. There are a lot of streets downtown where it is legal for bicycles to go in both directions, if one stays in the bicycle lane near the curb. I am always getting stupid Westerners yelling and screaming at me for going "the wrong way", because they have no idea what the regulations are here.

I've had Thais scream at me in that situation too. Now I'll only bicycle in the same direction as motor traffic even if there is a bicycle lane that makes it legal to go the other way. If drivers think that it's illegal for bicycles to be riding against the flow of traffic, then probably it's not going to be very safe to do it on that street.

No, don't give up your right to go against traffic when it is legal to do so. The main roads where this is possible are the two one way eastbound arterials Chiang Moi Road and Loy Kroh Road. There is no reversible option on Thapae Road, as there is too much traffic there. As long as you stay snug to the curb, you're ok and legal to go against the flow. Keep your eyes open, of course, for psychos who want to force you off the road.

Just don't cycle like the Chinese tourists, rolling all over the street, riding two and three abreast, looking one way and going another.

No, don't give up your right to go against traffic when it is legal to do so. The main roads where this is possible are the two one way eastbound arterials Chiang Moi Road and Loy Kroh Road. There is no reversible option on Thapae Road, as there is too much traffic there. As long as you stay snug to the curb, you're ok and legal to go against the flow. Keep your eyes open, of course, for psychos who want to force you off the road.

Just don't cycle like the Chinese tourists, rolling all over the street, riding two and three abreast, looking one way and going another.

Lot's of things are legal to do that aren't a good idea to do.

Where did you read it is legal to go the wrong way up Loi Kroh?

I don't see people doing it during the day. Normally it's at night when there are no coppers around.

• Like 1

I don't see people doing it during the day. Normally it's at night when there are no coppers around.

must admit ive seen many motor bikes and cyclists going the wrong way up loy kroh,ialways thought they were taking a chance on such a unlegel move,but you learn every day here,never seen a car doing it,???

Coming to Thailand, and CM for the first time, and renting a bike or a car and navigating this city is a fairly daunting experience.Ok for us that have lived here for a while but the 2 way bicycle ways are just an example that you may not expect.The left turn at some red lights is also not on in my country,then we have red lights where no left hand turn is allowed until they turn green but people still do.

Motor cycles that weave in and out,jockeying for prime positions don't exactly help either,expect it to get worse as the city gradually moves towards grid lock.

Humorous statement considering the number of bicycles and cyclists in China must number billions

Glad you found some humour in my post but let me explain the millions of Chinese that ride bicycles in their own country are NOT the ones travelling overseas they most likely couldn't even afford a deposit on the air fare let alone the associated accom, food costs etc.

The ones coming to CM are middle class and up and they see the way to get around CM is by bicycle/scooter.These are not peasants they are well dressed, and educated, but not experienced in riding a bicycle or scooter.

• Like 2

Glad you found some humour in my post but let me explain the millions of Chinese that ride bicycles in their own country are NOT the ones travelling overseas they most likely couldn't even afford a deposit on the air fare let alone the associated accom, food costs etc.

The ones coming to CM are middle class and up and they see the way to get around CM is by bicycle/scooter.These are not peasants they are well dressed, and educated, but not experienced in riding a bicycle or scooter.

Good and valid point sparkles, here in Dongguan it's the Bmw's, Jags, Porsches that are the problems, hi so new rich kids plenty of coin but no driving licences or skill, both driving wise and socially.

It has been legal for many years and there used to be illustrations of bicycles going the opposite direction from the traffic flow painted in the bicycle lane - actually there still are in some places (including Loi Kroh Road) - but they are hard to see. In fact, a few months ago Municipal put up posters warning drivers that bicycles can go both ways on certain streets. Unfortunately, motorcycles often use it as an excuse to go the wrong way illegally.

Edited by Ulysses G.

100% the fault of the guy in black shirt....the other guy should have just head butted him in the face.

Also, what about the white car? Must have got dented or scratched....good to see neither of them worry about that.....not!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If he was Korean, he would have kicked some butt and the guy in black would have deserved it. Koreans are usually pretty aggressive.

I do not find them to be aggressive, they just do not take any shit. Be nice and they are quite pleasant but mess with them and get nailed.

Here is a recent road rage vid making the rounds on Thai sites

The normal pickup with the green & other boxes in the back cut off the tractor trailer.

The tractor trailer driver gets mad & chases him down then the action starts

Two Thai guys seeing it all video it. Only in Thailand ;)

Black shirt on the scooter was lucky not to cut in front of this guy instead smile.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=251873104995011

Here is a recent road rage vid making the rounds on Thai sites

The normal pickup with the green & other boxes in the back cut off the tractor trailer.

The tractor trailer driver gets mad & chases him down then the action starts

Two Thai guys seeing it all video it. Only in Thailand wink.png

Black shirt on the scooter was lucky not to cut in front of this guy instead smile.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=251873104995011

It's too bad the Highway Patrol don't patrol Thailand's highways. Lucky no one was injured by these two idiots.

It's a shame people can't just pull to the side of the road, wait all of 60 seconds, then drive on again. Problem solved...

Choose your battles well. The next one may be your last.

That is what crossed my mind many times watching that video

I was thinking that little truck wants to fight with a crazy tractor trailer driver???

Kind of knew how that one would play out