Installing electric accessories on a big bike - Any good one?

TramsRepus

Having no idea what kind of bike or what type of accessories you want installed, it would be tough to say.

There is a Harley shop on top of the hill going to Jomtienbut I think they work HD only. Hot Rod is the name.

Oh, sorry, It is a Suzuki 650 V-strom that will get a usb power outlet and a pair of crashbar lights.

Edited by TramsRepus

My STRONG advice is to DO IT YOURSELF. Better to take a long time and learn from the Internet and get it right than to have it all <deleted> up. I have heard of nightmare after nightmare from letting a Thai work on electrical -- especially with a nice bike like yours.

Let me ask you some questions. Do you want all your wire ends with proper terminals for plugging into accessories and all splices soldered and shrink tubed -- water and vibration proofed? Or, do you want connections twisted together and taped with black tape? The latter can come loose with vibrations. Can also have the wire ends oxidize and corrode - to say nothing of the dissimilar metals problem of which Thais have never heard. And none of it waterproof.

Do you want somebody cutting into your factory wiring harness to splice wires, or do you want your accessories properly connected with terminals. Do you want trouble free riding, or do you want to break down somewhere with an electrical problem when you are caught out in the rain, only to spend 14 hours troubleshooting it?

It's all up to you. But if you do not do it yourself, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. You've been warned.

• Like 2

I strongly agree with Ticketmaster, it's not a difficult job and all the information you need is on the internet.

Unfortunately no Thai mechanic will have read anything to do with this on the internet and will treat your bike the same as a Honda Click, cut, splice and tape.

Do it yourself, then you know it has been done with the right materials and done correctly

My STRONG advice is to DO IT YOURSELF. Better to take a long time and learn from the Internet and get it right than to have it all fuc_ked up. I have heard of nightmare after nightmare from letting a Thai work on electrical -- especially with a nice bike like yours.

Let me ask you some questions. Do you want all your wire ends with proper terminals for plugging into accessories and all splices soldered and shrink tubed -- water and vibration proofed? Or, do you want connections twisted together and taped with black tape? The latter can come loose with vibrations. Can also have the wire ends oxidize and corrode - to say nothing of the dissimilar metals problem of which Thais have never heard. And none of it waterproof.

Do you want somebody cutting into your factory wiring harness to splice wires, or do you want your accessories properly connected with terminals. Do you want trouble free riding, or do you want to break down somewhere with an electrical problem when you are caught out in the rain, only to spend 14 hours troubleshooting it?

It's all up to you. But if you do not do it yourself, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. You've been warned.

Where does one buy proper terminals from in Pattaya ?

Yes it is. I agree with Ticketmaster as well. The mechanic- technicians could *** up a wet dream so to speak & it is very easy to hook up those type of electrics yourself.

Just run it to the acc side in the fuse box or add a fuse & go right into the battery 10-15 amp fuse depending on what the draw is. I had a scoooter shop hook up 26 led light strips & they botched every one of the 26 connections & they all grounded out & shorted 3 fuses. I wound up replacing 22 lights & ALL the wiring. Nothing was remotely saveable. Black electrical tape was used on 24 connections. The cheap bastards only used heat shrink wrap tape on 4 connections & had black tape wrapped on the ends with wire frags dangling into the frame. In the professional world you never see any black tape & the ends are always protected from water & oxidation with either a paste inhibitor or spray & then shrink wrapped. They just have never been taught properly & the shop owners really do not want to spend the 20 extra baht on doing the job properly.

Spoonman Unfortunately Pattaya is not the ideal place to find electrics like that. I do think the Harley shop or maybe Kawasaki or Honda big bike might have electrics like these.More for cruising accessories. I have not seen proper terminal strips here & usually get the & other more technical items from the states when I go home yearly. The heat shrink tape wire & stuff like that you can get at most of the Mom & Pops shops around town that sell a mix of all supplies. I have seen simple units at Big C or Tesco but they are not at all what I would want to use on any bikes I have.Too Cheap!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rimmer
Profane

Make sure anything you put on the bike has a separate switch and separate fuse.

Don't have any of your extra electrical items come on with the ignition switch.

Turn your extra electrical items on only after you have started the bike, this also assists with the extra charging of the added electrics.

I have a TomTom Rider GPS own battery, a GoPro Camera with extra battery pack and 2X Scalia Headsets, 2X Fog lights and an all weather CB Radio, heated handlebar grips, all of which need charging while bike is running. You will probably notice that your headlight or headlights won't come on until the bike actually starts.

I own a Yamaha 1200cc Super Tenere.

Yamaha Big Bikes in Bangkok have all their electrical work done near them. They send the bikes to the same company that fit the Police radios and flashing lights to their Royal Thai Police Yamaha FJR's.

post-60852-0-18576200-1392787851_thumb.j

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

Turn your extra electrical items on only after you have started the bike, this also assists with the extra charging of the added electrics.

I have a TomTom Rider GPS own battery, a GoPro Camera with extra battery pack and 2X Scalia Headsets, 2X Fog lights and an all weather CB Radio, heated handlebar grips, all of which need charging while bike is running. You will probably notice that your headlight or headlights won't come on until the bike actually starts.

Yamaha Big Bikes in Bangkok have all their electrical work done near them. They send the bikes to the same company that fit the Police radios and flashing lights to their Royal Thai Police Yamaha FJR's.

Nice lookin bike & looks pretty comfy as well.

• Like 1

I try to be neat, but had added so many things piecemeal that I was getting a bit of a rat's nest under the seat. All the inline fuses, one for each product, was a particular mess. I solved the problem by putting in a couple of FuzeBlocks. I was a nice and neat solution. Also, for items you want to switch separately, PMR handlebar mounted switches are a nice solution.

You can find both of these things at Pashnit.com. http://www.pashnit.com/product/fuzeblocks/index_fuzeblocks.html; http://www.pashnit.com/product/pmr/bar_switches.html

Tim, at Pashnit, is happy to ship to Thailand.

post-171676-0-22430600-1392856627_thumb.

post-171676-0-38374800-1392856656_thumb.

post-171676-0-20910100-1392856684_thumb.

• Like 1