New e-auction for computer-tablet procurement to reopen tomorrow

webfact

New e-auction for computer-tablet procurement to reopen tomorrow
Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A fresh e-auction process for Zones 1 and 2 of the government's One Tablet Per Child project will tomorrow start to select new suppliers, replacing a Chinese firm that has ended its contract with Thai authorities.

This academic year, not a single student has received a tablet computer from the government because of procurement problems.

Shenzhen Yitoa Intelligent Control, which initially won the e-auction in Zones 1 and 2, has failed to make any deliveries and initiated termination of its contract.

Bidding documents for the fresh e-auction will be sold from tomorrow onward.

"Then, the new e-auction will take place on March 27," caretaker Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said yesterday.

He said the results would be announced on March 30.

The chosen suppliers are expected to deliver the computer tablets between May 5 and June 30.

Shenzhen Yitoa Intelligent Control, meanwhile, will be asked to pay a hefty fine of Bt108 million plus an amount of compensation.

"The fine shall be imposed on the firm for its failure to deliver the tablets. We will also ask for compensation to cover damages. We may have to pay more for tablets when we get new suppliers than compared with prices offered by Shenzhen Yitoa Intelligent Control," Chaturon said.

The firm has submitted Bt120 million as a security deposit for the tablet purchase deal with Thailand's Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec).

The supplier chosen for Zone 4, Jasmine Telecom Systems, has also not yet made a delivery. But it promises to make the first before the end of this month.

In Zone 3, Obec was initially reluctant to endorse Supreme Distribution (Thailand) as the successful bidder. Its e-bid was not much lower than the standard price and there were just two bidders for the zone.

However, after clear problems emerged with Shenzhen Yitoa Intelligent Control, and Jasmine Telecom Systems, which offered a much lower price, Obec is now preparing to sign a purchase contract with Supreme Distribution (Thailand) on February 28.

The firm will then make deliveries between April 5 and June 30.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-19

• Like 1

This academic year, not a single student has received a tablet computer from the government

The epitome of incompetence by the Yingluck administration as well as displaying a complete disdain for truly improving the education of Thailand's youth.

Instead, corruption is her focus as she slaps the poor in the face and tells them to kiss her arse.

A charlatan with a Gucci bag and Burberry boots.

These clowns just don't know when to stop!

They're part of the PTP that is now in the death throes.....but wait...there's more to be had!

Tablets for kids...crap units that don't work for long...no maintenance plans, cheap and nasty with probably better units available at Pantip...no-one has any idea what value they add to the schools and the kids........but maybe we can make a few bucks before we all hit the wall!

Just a bunch of useless pricks....!

A poster above mentioned the NACC.....lets hope they have the resources to have a crack at this scam

Just give up this lame plan. Thai schools already waste 75% of their students time on shows / practices for shows / lessons on which fruit comes from where / fake history etc. You want the rest of the time fiddling with computers that aren't going to work? They won't work whether they are ipads or fumanchupads. Will never ever happen, until we are in the future and on "generation 3000" computers. No way that the pad of every student will be working at the same time wothout distractions so that a teacher can teach a class. Just give up this nonsense.

Need to put it in face terms to get action? Save your face before you lose it.

-*I typed this myself*-

That's the worst news I've heard all week angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png .

Can't the Government focus on new white boards,

desk, and good old fashion books...? 1st

So we parents don't have to be bothered with policing these tablets,

when they're in our adorable little ones hands.

After all who wishes to buy into second rate junk tablet scheme?

For every one issued, at least two more will need to be purchased,

just to get past the expected life span of two years from issue date.

As this is what the school expects from the children & parents when they are issued out...

two years of use.

Several of my friends buy into the china off brands, turn their kids loose on them,

and within six months the battery is fried, or worse...the tablet is on fire.

The suppliers should be standing in line to bid on issuing these out,

it's a great turn around for them,

and a nightmare for the parents.

I've got two kids...I'll pass annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

"This academic year, not a single student has received a tablet computer from the government because of procurement problems."

Well, it's not as if the government knew that a new academic year would start last year May.rolleyes.gif

" This academic year, not a single student has received a tablet computer from the government because of procurement problems. "

It is hard to know - especially with this dismal track-record - how the administration can even proceed with this without a parliament. Yet they seem to be on automatic pilot, without deference to reality.

Rather than tablets e-readers would be a better investment, a graduate from the Philippines has told me that she has been using one for some time for her uni courses.

An e-reader per student can ensure for their full education that they always have the latest text books, they can be reinstalled every academic year, and there would be a great saving in paper, ink and energy for printing. Plus the kids wouldn't need enormous bags to carry their books to and from school. And I'm sure this sort of scheme would give plenty of opportunities for skimming too!

Rather than tablets e-readers would be a better investment, a graduate from the Philippines has told me that she has been using one for some time for her uni courses.

An e-reader per student can ensure for their full education that they always have the latest text books, they can be reinstalled every academic year, and there would be a great saving in paper, ink and energy for printing. Plus the kids wouldn't need enormous bags to carry their books to and from school. And I'm sure this sort of scheme would give plenty of opportunities for skimming too!

Nothing gives a better return for those involved in the scheme than paying for millions of tablets and not receiving even a single one.