What car insurance company will accept Australian Drivers license (not "international" permit)

BuffaloRescue

Hi

I have standard QLD driving license.

Just wondering what insurance company i should choose that will 100% sure accept this and not make a fuss if i have to claim because i dont have "international driving permit" which basically we dont have in Austalia unless you are in the NRMA

Im currently insured with ประกันคุ้มภัย Prakankoompai Which was free one year when I bought a Nissan. They say they accept "any international license" which is a bit ambigious if they consider a QLD driving permit to be an International license or if they mean one of the grey book things you can get if you are from the UK and they call it a "international permit"

I intend to get Thai license soon but i want to be covered immediately

Thanks

Get a Thai car driving licence, foreign licences only valid for 90 days from what I remember on previous posts.

Another thing my Oz mate couldn't get his car licence because he had no International Driving Permit from OZ.

Dunno why go to your nearest DLT and ask whatyou need is best.

You do not have to be a member of the NMRA to get an International permit. They provide them to all for the apropriate fee.

http://www.racq.com.au/travel/driving_overseas/international_licences#postal you would be best sending it to a friend to get it for you because they need cash money.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/media/NT1489_IDP_App_FA3.pdf will accept other forms of payment

Edited by harrry

Get a Thai car driving licence, foreign licences only valid for 90 days from what I remember on previous posts.

Another thing my Oz mate couldn't get his car licence because he had no International Driving Permit from OZ.

Thanks

Since im on 1 year business visa. I have to leave and return every 90 days. So Im never in TL for more than 90 days. So am i good?

You could have obtained an Iternational Drivers Permit from Queensland before you came to Thailand. They are valid for 12 months. I obtained one (grey book) from the NT before I moved here.

I didnt consider this, because ive just been aware of new rules about non-thai licenses. Police are now asking for fines when they stop people at checkpoints and you just show Australian license. Im not sure what the "police checkpoints" and "proper insurance companies" accept are actually the same.

The rule with Insurance companies in Thailand is as long as you have a valid DL for the vehicle you are driving then you are insured.

However, as posters have pointed out, it makes sense to get your Thai DL (which is not difficult) as it saves any ambiguity with the authorities plus is a useful form of identification.

• Like 1

How long have you been living here? IDP and/or home license are limited in validity, if you reside in Thailand you are required to have a Thai license. If not, you're opening yourself up to a real can of worms.

• Like 1

Thanks

Since im on 1 year business visa. I have to leave and return every 90 days. So Im never in TL for more than 90 days. So am i good?

It maybe 90 days for each 1 year dunno for sure, I guess if I were you I'll get a IDP from Oz and get your Thai driving licence, inconvenient maybe but better than looking through some cell bars.whistling.gif