message to Thai hosts: Don't make things uncomfortable for your guests

boomerangutang

Some Wats even give you a chair to sit in while you meditate.

So its kind of like sitting.

Wonder if they have pillows....maybe a jason recliner.....would a rocking chair disturb the peace too much ?

I'd like to give one of these places a try one day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting bunch of responses. Actually, there's a correlation between military 'boot camp' and Thai-style Buddhist retreats. The idea being; badger the novice 'seeker' with sleep-deprivation and privations, while hammering away at whatever preconceived notions of character that person had when entering the premises. When the novice is sufficiently sleep-deprived and uncomfortable, then re-mold that person in the image of soldier or monk - whatever the drill sergeant or head monk deems appropriate.

Yes, this is how it functions in principal. Like in many monasteries the schedule of prayer and other activities is so tight that one can not have any time of his own to think or form his own opinions. Sort of group mentality and sometimes leading towards group psychosis. No questioning the practices or leadership.

Many religious fanatic groups have developed all kind of silly and crazy rites that have to be repeated and repeated forever and ever. I personally think that Buddha had different ideas about his philosophy been practiced or executed. I believe he encouraged people to think on their own - which is for religious power-hungry leaders a red cloth. I think that if there is more egoistic and self-righteous group than so called religious leaders, I still haven't met them.

• Like 1