Unidentified foreign woman killed in Phuket crash

webfact

Unidentified foreign woman killed in Phuket crash
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- An unidentified foreign woman died in a car accident on Thepkrasattri Road early this morning.

Police were called to the scene, on the southbound side of the road opposite the entrance to Bang Kanun Forest, at 5am.

“We found a car flipped over in the middle of the road and the body of a foreign woman inside. We searched the car, but there were no documents to identify her,” said Chatree Chuwichian of the Thalang Police.

“She had blond hair and appeared to be in her thirties. Her car was a silver Toyota.”

Police also found a slightly injured woman, Pattara Dibukgram, 44, about 50 meters from the car.

“I was riding my motorbike to Laguna for work,” Ms Pattara said.

“Suddenly, I was hit from behind by the car. Fortunately, I fell off my motorbike when I was hit, because the car dragged my motorbike and then flipped over.”

“I’m lucky to have only minor injuries, but I feel so sad for the driver.”

The foreign woman’s body was taken to Thalang Hospital as authorities continue to attempt to identify her.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Unidentified-foreign-woman-killed-in-Phuket-crash-25636.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-20

...can someone explain to me how a car can flip over by running in to a motorcycle...and impact so hard that the driver dies???...

...my initial thought is that there must have been a 3rd vehicle involved...which of course fled the scene....

...can someone explain to me how a car can flip over by running in to a motorcycle...and impact so hard that the driver dies???...

...my initial thought is that there must have been a 3rd vehicle involved...which of course fled the scene....

Hitting an object, swerving, can all cause a car to flip.

And people die even without any kind of impact.

• Like 1

You're making assumptions and ignoring physics. Impact would have had very little to do with the car flipping.Inertia travels in a straight line, doesn't take much of an attempted deviation of a controlled 1 tonne mass to send it tumbling out of control.

(Those ignorant hi speed tailgaters we all have on our asses all day should have a video or two shown to them about inertia.)

My assumptions in this collision would be the car driving at speed, with an over steer reaction which had it only slightly clipping the motorcycle with inertia again forcing the scooter rider off, and in the direction its rider was traveling, no doubt.

In a real sense, ( IMO ) the driver of the car, with that over steer, sacrificed her life for the motorcycle rider's.

Hitting an object, swerving, can all cause a car to flip.

And people die even without any kind of impact.

Yes people die every day without any kind of impact, but a driver??

How? apart from a pre existing medical issue, that is...

You're making assumptions and ignoring physics. Impact would have had very little to do with the car flipping.Inertia travels in a straight line, doesn't take much of an attempted deviation of a controlled 1 tonne mass to send it tumbling out of control.

(Those ignorant hi speed tailgaters we all have on our asses all day should have a video or two shown to them about inertia.)

My assumptions in this collision would be the car driving at speed, with an over steer reaction which had it only slightly clipping the motorcycle with inertia again forcing the scooter rider off, and in the direction its rider was traveling, no doubt.

In a real sense, ( IMO ) the driver of the car, with that over steer, sacrificed her life for the motorcycle rider's.

"In a real sense, ( IMO ) the driver of the car, with that over steer, sacrificed her life for the motorcycle rider's."

Whaaaat???....blink.png

That has to qualify for the craziest statement of the year to date...

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

In the OP the MC driver said

Fortunately, I fell off my motorbike when I was hit, because the car dragged my motorbike and then flipped over.

Sounds like the bike went under the car causing the flip.

Edited by Old Croc

In the OP the MC driver said

Fortunately, I fell off my motorbike when I was hit, because the car dragged my motorbike and then flipped over.

Sounds like the bike went under the car causing the flip.

You can see the rear wheel of the bike is buckled from the hit from behind, but not really enough obvious damage to the rest of the bike to confirm that it went under the car...[iMO]

EDIT..From Phuket News;

She flew off the bike onto the road, but the car dragged her bike before crashing into the median strip near Mae Ju’s souvenir shop, around 5am.

The car flipped and rolled several times.

Obviously she lost control after clipping the bike ,hitting the median strip, causing her car to flip and roll...

Edited by andreandre

I don't have an opinion as I didn't witness the accident. I was just quoting the witness/victim who said she was fortunate she came off her bike because the car dragged it.

I was just trying to assist the theorists by pointing out some facts from the OP.

Pretty simple really!

Option 1: Car runs into motorbike from behind, driver panics and overreacts, car starts to spin, car flips, driver breaks neck due to not wearing a seatbelt.

Option 2: Car runs into motorbike, driver panics, overreacts, car starts to spin, car flips, driver hits her head pretty hard on the door window and dies due to blunt force trauma to the head.

Option 3: Car runs into motorbike from behind, motorbike gets stuck under the car, car can't be steered probably any longer, car starts to spin or wheels hit the curb, car flips, driver breaks neck due to not wearing a seatbelt or hits her head on the door window.

Option 4: Any combination of Option 1, 2 and 3.

Edited by pacovl46

Pretty simple really!

Option 1: Car runs into motorbike from behind, driver panics and overreacts, car starts to spin, car flips, driver breaks neck due to not wearing a seatbelt.

Option 2: Car runs into motorbike, driver panics, overreacts, car starts to spin, car flips, driver hits her head pretty hard on the door window and dies due to blunt force trauma to the head.

Option 3: Car runs into motorbike from behind, motorbike gets stuck under the car, car can't be steered probably any longer, car starts to spin or wheels hit the curb, car flips, driver breaks neck due to not wearing a seatbelt or hits her head on the door window.

Option 4: Any combination of Option 1, 2 and 3.

I meant car can't be steered properly any longer.

• Like 1

"In a real sense, ( IMO ) the driver of the car, with that over steer, sacrificed her life for the motorcycle rider's."

Whaaaat???....blink.png

Something happened in this collision that a scooter driver survived with minor injuries, and a car driver died.

She didn't plow directly into and over the rider, that seems to have been ascertained as factual.

Now yes, I am assuming, but based on my assumption ( I did add IMO , ) she steered to avoid the bike, clipping it instead, which knocked the rider off, (which may well have saved her life as she stated ) then losing control from the evasive steering.

Flipping several times, as reported elsewhere, would indicate either a high speed with a lesser evasive maneuver, or a lesser velocity with a stronger deviant, but again, mere supposition.

It's the evasive maneuver that spared the rider's life, and doomed the driver's, and seems fairly logical.

I submit your harsh indictment of my opinion is unfounded .

Edited by EBlair48

Whaaaat???....blink.png

Something happened in this collision that a scooter driver survived with minor injuries, and a car driver died.

She didn't plow directly into and over the rider, that seems to have been ascertained as factual.

Now yes, I am assuming, but based on my assumption ( I did add IMO , ) she steered to avoid the bike, clipping it instead, which knocked the rider off, (which may well have saved her life as she stated ) then losing control from the evasive steering.

Flipping several times, as reported elsewhere, would indicate either a high speed with a lesser evasive maneuver, or a lesser velocity with a stronger deviant, but again, mere supposition.

It's the evasive maneuver that spared the rider's life, and doomed the driver's, and seems fairly logical.

I submit your harsh indictment of my opinion is unfounded .

IMO for the lady to be knocked off her bike and suffer only minor injuries, and looking at the condition of the bike all over, and particularly the only slightly buckled rear wheel i would say that speed was low...maybe she received only a glancing blow..makes sense...but the lady on the bike was very lucky to not be more seriously hurt...

A lot can happen in micro seconds in these situations..and maybe the facts won't come out..we can both agree on that..Yes?

From pacovi46..is probably the most realistic..Option 1: Car runs into motorbike from behind, driver panics and overreacts, car starts to spin, car flips, driver breaks neck due to not wearing a seatbelt.

Also,the car driver may well have been as drunk as a skunk or sleepy at the wheel, etc,etc..you dont know and i dont know..either way the point i was making in saying your words were crazy specifically refer to this that you said..;

On the info given there is no way in the world you can honestly believe that the car driver sacrificed her life for the bike riders life...and it is not, as you say, fairly logical.

Or maybe you have a different interpretation of the word 'sacrificed"?

If not, then my" harsh indictment of your opinion is well founded" ..

Plenty of people die in Australia hitting roos. The trick is not to swerve when you are inevitably going to hit one. The some applies to motorcyclists. Unfortunately if you are in a car and going to snash into a motorbike, you are generally better off slamming into them than swerving into oncoming traffic and causing more death.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plenty of people die in Australia hitting roos. The trick is not to swerve when you are inevitably going to hit one. The some applies to motorcyclists. Unfortunately if you are in a car and going to snash into a motorbike, you are generally better off slamming into them than swerving into oncoming traffic and causing more death.

Ive hit a roo, was living in Canberra - bloody nuisance, wrote off my car!

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Foreign woman killed in car crash named

1392953019_1.jpg

Juli Humbert was killed in a car crash yesterday morning.

PHUKET: -- The foreign woman killed instantly when her car crashed on Thepkrassatri Road yesterday morning (February 20) has been named as Juli Humbert, 31, from France.

Ms Humbert, a resident of Phuket who worked in the yachting industry, was driving on Thepkrassatri Road in northern Phuket around 5am yesterday when she crashed into a motorbike. She then hit the median barrier and flipped the car.

She was killed instantly.

Nawa Pintu, from Thalang Hospital, told The Phuket News this morning that the French Embassy had been informed, and was waiting to hear from relatives regarding repatriation.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-woman-killed-in-car-crash-named-44729.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-21

I know exactly where your coming from, been there and wombats are just as bad on the roads.

• Like 1

Ouch. Quite a few accidents happen in Thailand because of drivers swerving or braking sharply when all of a sudden there is a dog in front of their car. A few times I successfully braked for a dog, once for a monitor lizard, but I am ready to keep going if it is too tight. But a motorcycle? Hope I never have to make that split second decision.

RIP Juli.

I know exactly where your coming from, been there and wombats are just as bad on the roads.

that's terrible, how dare those native species use the road you immigrants built!....just teasing...lol

UPDATE:

Foreign woman killed in car crash named

1392953019_1.jpg

Juli Humbert was killed in a car crash yesterday morning.

PHUKET: -- The foreign woman killed instantly when her car crashed on Thepkrassatri Road yesterday morning (February 20) has been named as Juli Humbert, 31, from France.

Ms Humbert, a resident of Phuket who worked in the yachting industry, was driving on Thepkrassatri Road in northern Phuket around 5am yesterday when she crashed into a motorbike. She then hit the median barrier and flipped the car.

She was killed instantly.

Nawa Pintu, from Thalang Hospital, told The Phuket News this morning that the French Embassy had been informed, and was waiting to hear from relatives regarding repatriation.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-woman-killed-in-car-crash-named-44729.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-02-21

What does the French Embassy have got to do with the matter?