racism among expats in thailand

yanyk

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the Original poster.. sadly if your a black male in Thailand lots of people think you are a Nigerian Drug Dealer, it's not your fault andi it's not fair for everyone to judge a black male thsi way but there is so many to be found.... you have to accept that. i have to accept as a shaven head, tatooed skinny white male that someone out there is going to mistake me for an idiot, the list goes for everyone in someway, nobody is free from hype,.. if they are meeting you, it may be that you have the kind of common male American macho agressive stance towards people that can make other Americans or westerners in general cringe... all is i am saying is i don't think many expats are racist, perhaps you will find the western white male that gets out of the homeland as perhaps the less racist people of the history of the world.. i know how shameful it would be for any of my friends or me to say anything racist at all.. just saying.. keep your head up and open your mind that it isn't racism it is something about the way you conduct yourself and something you can change too.

why are most of the 'farangs' here bent on trying to make me feel the problem is actually with the Thais when we all know

the west initiated slavery and slave trade

thats not true, africa and the middle east invented Slavery.. there is still so much slavery in Africa and the middle east, the only places and the 1st places that have had slavery are in africa today and Africans sold other Africans to slavery.

Now, let us look at the various types and forms of dislike of 'different people'.

Because whether you call it antisemitism, racism, nationalism, xenophobia, chauvinism or any other term it boils down to just this - dislike of a difference. Without condoning any of the above IMHO it can be found anywhere and everywhere on different levels.

E.g.

Black is beautiful.

Blacks are trouble.

Whites are supreme.

Jews are rich.

Jews are in conspiracy against the world.

Arabs are Muslims.

Muslims are terrorists.

Please continue...

All such forms of dislikes are rooted in the syndrome collectively referred to as 'birds of feather flock together'.

Positive forms of the same attitudes might be called nationalism or even patriotism. In any case I believe some are quite harmless and, what is more important, natural.

There is a catch there. Whether we like it or not there are visible racial differences.

E.g.

Color

Characteristic facial features

Please continue...

Regrettably I must point out that slavery as such was known long before black Africans were brought to Americas. And it was not only known in Africa and Middle East.

The only case when 'dislike of differences' becomes really dangerous is when it is used by politicians, from above, by Gov'ts.

Than and only than you have Slavery, Inquisition, Holocaust, Racism, Antisemitism, all kinds of Holy Wars or life long Aliens.

You've experienced racism from expats for being black?

I don't know, but if it makes you feel any better, my heart jumps in excitement a little bit every time I see a black guy. Do you have any idea how much of a rarity you guys are around these parts? I'm lucky to see a white guy once every two weeks, so seeing a black guy puts me in somewhat of an awe.

Would actually love to have a black friend, especially if he spoke some Thai as well. That would be great. White guy and black guy cruising around Thailand, both speak Thai. I think there's some fun to be had with the locals with that combo. :)

Yes Driedmango,because the Majority of Nigerians here are part of something bent , be it drugs or dirty money. but thats hardly racist. We all have some racism, its nature . but to what degree. ?..I find Ozzie Folk with their Non P.C. ,Crocodile Dundee type attitude funny, and American Women who overanalyze a Glass of Water pathetic, so im a Raceist.?. coffee1.gif

Yes, so many expats have nothing good to say about Thais about whom they generalize appallingly....

... and Indians, Chinese, Russians, Africans ...

For some people it's all about :

Have you lived in these countries?

I lived in China(10y) and Thailand(1.5y)

I'd need to live in China for at least a hundred years, to pull par with racism as to the magnitude of that of Thailand!. Sure, Chinese are not that open as far as SEX is concerned, but apart from that - China is WIDE open, Thailand? "Closed"!

Please explain this sentence from your post; thanks

""Chinese are not that open as far as SEX is concerned, but apart from that - China is WIDE open, Thailand? "Closed"!""

what does this mean, Thailand closed?

closed to what?

Closed to anyone, who is not Thai.

Do not ask for more, as I cannot speak it out on here. Just wait for a "Thailand report" to appear in multiple international media.

Racism is a much maligned term usually used by Americans. Negative feelings towards strangers or individuals from a different tribe is a normal human condition. French may not like Germans, Italains may not like Spanish but that is hardly racism

Uninformed or ignorant visitors to Thailand often exhibit cultural imperialism or whinge about locals being different but difference is the reason why many visitors come here.

I don't think that all the banter the OP has heard or experienced can be considered racism in the true sense of the werd.

""Chinese are not that open as far as SEX is concerned, but apart from that - China is WIDE open, Thailand? "Closed"!""

closed to what?

Do not ask for more, as I cannot speak it out on here. Just wait for a "Thailand report" to appear in multiple international media.

It is eh? Google auto production in Thailand or hard drive production in Thailand. Who is the worlds third largest hard drive maker? Who are the worlds top ten auto producers? I'll give you a hint. Hundreds of foreign companies produce products in Thailand. I cannot say more. Try google.

Actually it would be very easy to say more but if anyone has an interest they can look it up.

Western Digital Thailand. Ford Thailand. Mercedes Benz Thailand. And on and on and on.

All this thread became a big racist rant, and I thought I was one of the youngest in the forums, THIS IS FULL OF CHILDREN.

Chillax guys, stop throwing stones between skin colors

Let's be mature about this, Mr Poopypants ! ;)

Mate, I spent 4 1/2 long years working at a university and I can assure you that intellectual capacity and emotional maturity dont always go hand in hand, and access to a keyboard is no guarantee of either. GD is widely acknowledged as the worst that TV has to offer - we're all masochists, and we love rehashing the same crap month after month.

why are most of the 'farangs' here bent on trying to make me feel the problem is actually with the Thais when we all know

we all know

Great post, dont know whether to blame a sub standard ecucation or the PC revisionist history you were taught.

Racism is born from ignorance and lack of education, i am white but did experience it when living in Hong Kong from the chinese,it was not pleasant,also as an englishman living in Australia,though this is based on nationality not race, i am sorry to hear you have had this experience from expats,but when you look at some of the dregs you can see in Pattaya and Patong,it is not so surprising,just realise you are a better human being than them.

You've experienced racism from expats for being black?

I don't know, but if it makes you feel any better, my heart jumps in excitement a little bit every time I see a black guy. Do you have any idea how much of a rarity you guys are around these parts? I'm lucky to see a white guy once every two weeks, so seeing a black guy puts me in somewhat of an awe.

Would actually love to have a black friend, especially if he spoke some Thai as well. That would be great. White guy and black guy cruising around Thailand, both speak Thai. I think there's some fun to be had with the locals with that combo. smile.png

Cruising,well whatever turns you on.

closed to what?

It is eh? Google auto production in Thailand or hard drive production in Thailand. Who is the worlds third largest hard drive maker? Who are the worlds top ten auto producers? I'll give you a hint. Hundreds of foreign companies produce products in Thailand. I cannot say more. Try google.

Actually it would be very easy to say more but if anyone has an interest they can look it up.

Western Digital Thailand. Ford Thailand. Mercedes Benz Thailand. And on and on and on.

DId I mention corporate prostitution somewhere along on ThaiVisa? Hm ...!

Obviously you either know nothing about this business culture, or you ignore it as a drive!

While Corporate prostitutes put up with all mafia and red-tape, SME foreign investment enterprising drop-out rate in Thailand, is meanwhile surpassing the 90% mark.

Boys and girls, you need to look behind the curtain, not at the glitter, covering the curtain.

Edited by NHT

we all know

Great post, dont know whether to blame a sub standard ecucation or the PC revisionist history you were taught.

You mean "Slavery" as we all get to watch it in films and read about it in books? But you ignore slavery, "carried out" by other ethnic groups, for thousands of years, and ago, already.

That being said, Who says that "Slavery" must, or should be the equivalent to "racism" or, the "determining factor" for racism.

Your remark could merely be considered a lack of education.

Edited by NHT

we all know

You mean "Slavery" as we all get to watch it in films and read about it in books? But you ignore slavery, "carried out" by other ethnic groups, for thousands of years, and ago, already.

That being said, Who says that "Slavery" must, or should be the equivalent to "racism" or, the "determining factor" for racism.

isn't it logical? slavery was born out of the idea that some races are better than some or some people are more human beings that some and that is exactly what racism is all about..lack of a education yes but lack of common yes, i will give that to you

Started by Arabs.

When the west got in on the act 1000s years later, the slaves were still captured by Africans then traded on.

Slavery was always an African on African problem.

White people just got in on the act.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Thailand is not a racist country so far I have observe, Rohinya people are selling 'roti' some Indian pancake and peanuts by walking around in baskets at night we consider them as human who also like us need to eat and raise family we always buy from them even some of them are dirty vendor. Maybe some thinking that colour like you may doing illegal business as most news are like that project them to believe but most of you are good hearted man compare to white in helping somebody in public.

Thailand is not a racist country so far I have observe, Rohinya people are selling 'roti' some Indian pancake and peanuts by walking around in baskets at night we consider them as human who also like us need to eat and raise family we always buy from them even some of them are dirty vendor. Maybe some thinking that colour like you may doing illegal business as most news are like that project them to believe but most of you are good hearted man compare to white in helping somebody in public.

That's why they're so many products to transform them to white skins or is it that Asians see themselves as Anglo-Saxons or in today's society, "whitey". Ignore the fact that they do hate dark skins. Open your eyes! It is also a sin to be dense!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

we all know

isn't it logical? slavery was born out of the idea that some races are better than some or some people are more human beings that some and that is exactly what racism is all about..lack of a education yes but lack of common yes, i will give that to you

More so, a lack of history. The blame game, how so easy.

we all know

He may be wrong if we're going back two thousand years but I think it's fair to say he's talking about the enslavement of Africans.

Yes sure, there may have been a few African chiefs who may have hopped on the bandwagon after cottoning on to the fact that there was scratch to be earned by selling their brethren to the slavers but when all is said and done, the white man kicked it all off as regards this most high profile example of slavery.

I find it highly distasteful when white people attempt to deny the past. As distasteful as when others deny the Holocaust occurred

Maybe they want to assuage their guilt, maybe they just want to claim that the problems some blacks have had really stem from their attitudes and have nothing to do with the obstacles placed in their way by those at the top of the power structures in Western society; I don't give a toss.

thats not true, africa and the middle east invented Slavery.. there is still so much slavery in Africa and the middle east, the only places and the 1st places that have had slavery are in africa today and Africans sold other Africans to slavery.

Your post reminds me of a list I just read on another thread, the classic symptoms of racist people:

4. They play down slavery like it is no big deal. Because to them the suffering of black people is no big deal. Because blacks do not count as, like, Real People. Unlike, say, the Jews whose Holocaust we must never forget (and rightly so). Key expressions:

Get over it!

It was the times!

Africans sold their own people as slaves!

Arab traders sold slaves too!

Slavery is universal!

My family never owned slaves!

If you sometimes find that white people, not americans perhaps, are hostile, then consider that such and incredibly ignorant statement as that may be the cause.

I hope you realize that slave trading has been done in all cultures, across all continents since the dawn of mankind. The worst slave traders in history are by far, and I really mean BY FAR, the muslim arabs who took millions of slaves from christian countries along with africans and whoever they could get their hands on.

White people were the first to abolish slavery and I hope you realize that slavery still exists in many countries.

In any case, as a European white I have nothing to do with slavery 200 years ago in America and your stupid attempt to lump me in with some crime in the past makes me think you're unfit to be a teacher.

Quit whining, the world isn't fair and stop playing the victim card all the while black people in America overwhelmingly attack, rob and kill white people TODAY.

If you sometimes find that white people, not americans perhaps, are hostile, then consider that such and incredibly ignorant statement as that may be the cause.

I hope you realize that slave trading has been done in all cultures, across all continents since the dawn of mankind. The worst slave traders in history are by far, and I really mean BY FAR, the muslim arabs who took millions of slaves from christian countries along with africans and whoever they could get their hands on.

White people were the first to abolish slavery and I hope you realize that slavery still exists in many countries.

In any case, as a European white I have nothing to do with slavery 200 years ago in America and your stupid attempt to lump me in with some crime in the past makes me think you're unfit to be a teacher.

Quit whining, the world isn't fair and stop playing the victim card all the while black people in America overwhelmingly attack, rob and kill white people TODAY.

Quit whining"? He wasn't whining about slavery. He just said that the racism he's experienced most acutely in THIS country has been that from expats. I agree because I've found that to be true.

You accuse him of playing the victim card and then get defensive as though he's been pointing a finger at you personally - who's playing the victim card??

I suppose you'll be saying that you've experienced racism from the Thais because they've referred to you as a farang.

As for your last comment, <deleted> are you smoking? White people attack, rob and kill blacks too. Or didn't you heat about those 3 white supremacists in Texas and what they did to James Byrd, Jr in 1998.

They tied the guy to a truck and dragged him three miles along a road until his head was ripped off . . . simply because he was black

If you don't know what you're talking about, you really should keep your mouth shut

Most black crime is perpetrated on blacks, not whites, and isn't racially motivated.

The US certainly does have more serious racism problems than Thailand, and more than most other countries.

But none of this is the topic at hand.

Thailand's "racism" is generally in thought and speech, not so much in serious ways wrt jobs, housing etc

Not to say it doesn't exist, it does and is deeply ingrained, they don't think they're anything wrong with it and have no plans to change it.

And not our business to try to change it, except where it affects us personally.

And no I'm not talking about "racism" against farang, double-pricing and other scamming BS, just idiotically silly to get your privileged knickers in a twist about that.

But if you teach in a school and see that a highly qualified non-white teacher gets turned down in favor of a white no-nothing, go ahead and speak up about it if you're brave. Most likely a Don Quixote move, but more power to you.

So yes the Thais are "racist", and of course many foreigners of all nationalities are as well, racism is everywhere in the world.

Trying to argue which is "more" or "less" is pretty pointless. . .

we all know

He may be wrong if we're going back two thousand years but I think it's fair to say he's talking about the enslavement of Africans.

Yes sure, there may have been a few African chiefs who may have hopped on the bandwagon after cottoning on to the fact that there was scratch to be earned by selling their brethren to the slavers but when all is said and done, the white man kicked it all off as regards this most high profile example of slavery.

I find it highly distasteful when white people attempt to deny the past. As distasteful as when others deny the Holocaust occurred

Maybe they want to assuage their guilt, maybe they just want to claim that the problems some blacks have had really stem from their attitudes and have nothing to do with the obstacles placed in their way by those at the top of the power structures in Western society; I don't give a toss.

"White People"....so you're a bigot. Really doesn't matter what anyone may refer, you can't single out one people since all people, all civilizations within history are guilty. The West, humor....which West? Your hate is intensified to put "white people" & "Holocaust" in the same line. Even the Church has committed this act of which than was considered a norm.

"White People"....so you're a bigot. Really doesn't matter what anyone may refer, you can't single out one people since all people, all civilizations within history are guilty. The West, humor....which West? Your hate is intensified to put "white people" & "Holocaust" in the same line. Even the Church has committed this act of which than was considered a norm.

And you're an idiot.

I was specifically talking about the enslavement of Africans. It was written in clear English.

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant comment