racism among expats in thailand

yanyk

i have stayed in this country for just 5 months, and i have noticed that the greatest amount of racism surprisingly

exist among expats..Thais will readily accept you if you are a good person . this is my personal experience, i am black living in Thailand.

i have gotten stares from the locals but nothing serious, but i have experienced the highest form of racism among expats.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like what calling u names?

Punch them mate.

Suprising.

I would not be suprised if it coming from thais as here is not that many black ppl, so some not use to ..

Westeners are use to it.

Well i guess it were russians they can be homophobic racists...

mataleo

Edited by mataleo

You obviously don't have a clue what the Thais will be saying about you behind your back. If you think a few idiot expats constitutes racism, you have no idea.

biggrin.png

its better not to know what people you dont expect anything from say behing your back than people you expect to be more welcoming throwing slangs..and calling you names..not russians or ukrainians..i have never meet any..i mean AMERICANS and the ENGLISH i have met in thailand..

Like what calling u names?

Punch them mate.

Suprising.

I would not be suprised if it coming from thais as here is not that many black ppl, so some not use to ..

Westeners are use to it.

Well i guess it were russians they can be homophobic racists...

mataleo

thanks MATE , not Russians..i have meet none so far..i mean Americans..some thais dont even know what that word means..but i will admit they dont like the black color..not that they don't like your person

It is very hard to generalise. Some Thais are tolerant of all and any foreigners, some are not tolerant of any and some are biased towards one or more ethnic backgrounds. But it is primarily the Western expat who know the words and terms that are generally offensive to "blacks" (a term I don't like but the OP used it) and who, whether through ignorance or malice, will use those words and/or terms.

Actually I am American and white and didn't really understand racism that blacks get in America, until I went to Korea and then came here. It truely becomes apperant when you have any dealings with police or other authorities. Classism is another thing that I really notice from just about every one here. Apoligies for my American countrymen/women though, some people are just buttholes. no mater where you are. I do think this place atracts certain types too.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Oh God, not again....another "all expats/foreigners in Thailand are useless jackasses who should live the perfect "Thai Style" life like me or be deported" sort of thread....

Sure there are plenty of people who have gripes here but to suggest 'expats' generalise appallingly is nonsense - I'm sure you'll get plenty of posts saying how the Thais generalise about we Westerners conversely. Most people I would say, relate their own experiences and give opinions based on them some of which over time seem to have become stereotypes.

To the OP, I'd suggest to find out a little more of a clue as to why many 'expats' here may have a low opinion of ''blacks'' (especially the Africans) living in Thailand.

You take a wander around Lower Sukhumwit late at night among the African hookers, dealers, pimps and scammers and see for yourself, before venting off here, you may get a few more answers to your observations.

There, my friend, you have the real key to unlocking the secrets of life in a strange land, namely; Going out and about finding out for yourself (even sometimes in cyberspace you can find clues and pointers). You'd be amazed at how many 'expat experts' here rely on their wives/GFs for their information (if not to almost live their lives for them).

We're not all bad here. I'm sure if you're an OK, respectable chap, the colour of your skin won't make a jot of difference

Certainly not all or even most, but there is a class of uneducated, little-travelled expat that are full-on racists and are in LOS not because they are tolerant but because the weather is good, or the beer (women), or whatever is cheap.

I empathize with you. I've had similar experiences but with Thai folk. Not all Thai folk but quite a few. I'm pretty surprised as most Asian countries harbour a certain resentment for Black people. Don't let a few inbred expat folks piss you off. On second thought if they do a good punch in the nose works wonders. :)

I haven't found any racism between expats, granted I've come across some right odd balls, the best ones are the ones that ignore you when you say hello. It's like they are scared to talk to another farang. Saying that these type are usually following the teeruk in Big C with an overloaded trolley of goods for the loving familly back at the ranch.

I've had a thai be a little off with me in the village when I've stayed, usually they are early twenties that don't like the whitey too much, not to worry I don't care what others think I treat people how they treat me it's all good.

I do not really understand from OP what exactly they are saying or doing to make them racist ?

Personally I could not care less what half tattooed shaved head, drunk, uneducated peasant thinks of me or talks about me.

Anyone with half a brain can see the deal, and those who can not are not worth my time

If you said you'd experienced racism from Thais then I'd understand...not sure if it's like a class system or just racism, but dark Thais are generally are regarded as lower than the lighter skined.

But to have experienced it from expats...thats sad. I have to say I've never come accross it here.

I do not really understand from OP what exactly they are saying or doing to make them racist ?

Personally I could not care less what half tattooed shaved head, drunk, uneducated peasant thinks of me or talks about me.

Anyone with half a brain can see the deal, and those who can not are not worth my time

bit racist that don't you think whistling.gif

tongue.png

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

expats speaking shit haha.. what do you think thai people say when they see you walking down the street hahah.

they don't like black people in this country! adapt or move..

i pity your generation..you are full of crap , you seem to me like someone without a culture or a proper upbringing..maybe a difficult childhood

damaged your brains beyond repair..i just said the worst form of racism i have experienced came from the expat community in this country..i have hardly experienced much of that from the locals

Do you wear something like this?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1360953795_saggy-pants.jpg

If you do they were probably just taking the piss!

No harm done.....

Sorry, have to click the link, wouldn't let me upload the picture..

hahaha thanx for the pics..but no i don't do that shit.....i'm work at a school now

Hopefully not teaching English ..quote 'i'm work at a school now'cheesy.gif

Edited by PattayaPhom

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

We become what we think we are.

Judging from your posts, I'd say you see yourself as a victim, ergo ….

Five months in Thailand means you know all of how to order a few dishes at a restaurant. post again in a few years.

i dont see myself as a victim..i just see myself as a witness

Thai people are perfect. Farang are terrible, besides the farang OPs that start these topics everyday. Like Tom Cruise in the The Last Samurai, they have learned the superior ways of the local population and in doing so have earned their love and respect. Now they must defend their new family from other evil farang who are bitter and racist and not perfect like the Thai people.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

stop whining so mutch, if people treat you like this for sure your not welcome here? just go back make it easy for you..take it or leave it!

Hearing and reading how many expats talk about the negative influx of foreigners in their homecountries....i am not surprised about ur perception. A simple mind is a joy forever. Many foreigners with opinions like that are being discriminated in Thailand too...but it doesnt effect them that much to make discrimanatory comments apparantly. Sad people.