racism among expats in thailand

yanyk

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

stop whining so mutch, if people treat you like this for sure your not welcome here? just go back make it easy for you..take it or

hahahahahaha......did u forget to take your tablets this morning?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Education plays a part. Most Thais accept foreigners and do not have malice. Everywhere in the world you will have a pocket of bigots.

If they were not attacking people of a different race, it would be something else..size..etc.

That's the world we live in....

there are rednecks everywhere but sometimes you need to understand what it is they are actually saying as well. Its easy to take the p*ss out of someone without racist contentations but if you do not understand exactly what they mean you may well take it the wrong way. In Australia we have some weird ways of expressing things( like calling mates f*cking wank_ers etc) and a lot of people get offended because they do not really understand what is being said/what is meant. You havent told us what these people said although you did mention the N word and that is simply way out of bounds for anyone, maybe you need to try to understand what they are on about, hopefully they dont mean what you are taking it to mean, at least I would hope so, good luck and just ignore the idiots if they really are that bad or come up with a great reply to shut them downthumbsup.gif .

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

Its has nothing to do with your skin colour, more to do with your "profession".

There was a thread about this recently, teachers aint held in high regard by many, some seem to have an attitude problem.

Even lower on the totem pole are TEFLrs, hence the "are u kidding me?"

Where were you called "a NIGGA" and by whom?

Let me guess by some uneducated ban nork type upcountry somewhere,thinking he was being smart, may well be the only English word he knows.

i dress well like a teacher that i'm

Believe me I have seen how some of these TEFLr types dress, well isnt an adjective I would use.

300 baht Bata shoes, shiny ass black pants, manky white shirt, lap top in a shoulder bag and a dodgy Jamie Oliver haircut.

there are rednecks everywhere but sometimes you need to understand what it is they are actually saying as well. Its easy to take the p*ss out of someone without racist contentations but if you do not understand exactly what they mean you may well take it the wrong way. In Australia we have some weird ways of expressing things( like calling mates f*cking wank_ers etc) and a lot of people get offended because they do not really understand what is being said/what is meant. You havent told us what these people said although you did mention the N word and that is simply way out of bounds for anyone, maybe you need to try to understand what they are on about, hopefully they dont mean what you are taking it to mean, at least I would hope so, good luck and just ignore the idiots if they really are that bad or come up with a great reply to shut them downthumbsup.gif .

On my last contract I worked alongside both Americans and Australians.

Believe me when I tell you the Americans had a hard time trying to understand or make sense of both Ozzy humour and their way of speaking.

Heck we even had some seppo on here recently claiming to be an expert in not only cockney but Ozzy slang, poor guy didnt have a clue.

possibly not racism against u but a sort of stereotyped racism that they ahve picked up from movies (boys in the hood ,yo yo types)... same as even though im israeli american jewish, my husband will often say antisemitic things like the 'jews/stingy' type thing, cause that is waht he has heard in his uneducated group of family and friends... and then he will go on to say people are people there are good ones and bad ones.

here he has had nigerian and sudanese friends, but doesnt like my daughter's ethiopian jewish boyfriend ... not skin colour but because the guy doesnt match my husband's idea of what a potential husband should act like.

he will make comments about arabs (nu... we live in a racist polarized society here) yet works wit arab workers and gets along no problem...

so it could be racist stereotyping from the television. as far as hiring, yes, thais are racists by colour. white =good perfect hi/so classy. black is low/society, not worth it... thais high aim is to have white underarm pits, legs, face etc... they love michael jackson...

i am still surprised that my hsuband chose a pure black pup out of our litter of lhasa apsos to raise, usually they dont want black dogs either...

IMO expat racism is more about nationality than color. The OP is Black I would assume him to be Nigerian before thinking of him as a yank and I would keep my distance from him. When I hear "Mate" I thinking Ozie and piss head. Etc....

" I would assume him to be Nigerian"

I assume that's a shot in the dark whistling.gif

Seems more people say others are racist now than before. I think you might be a bit sensitive and looking to play on it. If someone is being blatantly racist then be a man and tell em to F-off. If you think or assume that the conversation might be or is hinting that way then drink a glass of cement and harden up a bit. Hearing people say things are racist every other day makes me think most have never seen real racism and are putting their little feelings way to much in front.

expats speaking shit haha.. what do you think thai people say when they see you walking down the street hahah.

they don't like black people in this country! adapt or move..

i pity your generation..you are full of crap , you seem to me like someone without a culture or a proper upbringing..maybe a difficult childhood

damaged your brains beyond repair..i just said the worst form of racism i have experienced came from the expat community in this country..i have hardly experienced much of that from the locals

I understand where you're coming from, yanyk. Thais are nowhere near as racist as white folks. Not close. As an American who has seen ugly racism up close, Thais don't even know what the word racism means because they simply don't practice it. But they do recognize differences in people and for this, some farangs get all up-in-arms about it. But Thais will not be burning a cross in front of your home any time soon.

Truth is, back in the USA, most of the truly racist folks are from the lower levels of society. "White trash" basically who are uneducated, unsophisticated, disenfranchised, with little real prospects of succeeding. So they have to blame somebody for their lot in life. Many of the farangs who settle in Thailand are, shall we say, not the creme dela creme. They like to scream racism at the Thais because it's their opportunity to finally turn the tables. I would imagine these are the sort of folks who might have a racist streak. You can tell when they try to switch blame towards the Thais, insisting that the Thais are more racist towards blacks. But from the many black folks I've met in Thailand, this is not the case.

So in essence you find yourself being lumped in with all black people, not recognized as Nationalistically Unique. The same as all the white people here who are lumped in together as Farang... etc etc etc.... Why would you expect any expat, to be different? because they moved here? Living in another part of the world does not suddenly make everybody a pillar of the community nor an Ambassador for their country, some tossers come here too...

Oz

Every week I see signs in hotels and bars saying: No Arabs or Black people. We don't serve people from Africa. And similar signs.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

he might be paranoid a bit tho

but calling someone nigger in his face thats bit not right

best is just dont give care about it

i am polish and i used to live in uk, now thailand, never experienced racism, may b its not the same cuz im white, but for example ppl were joking calling me polish this and that, but i take it easy, no harm, i caled them names back,

Thais are nowhere near as racist as white folks. Not close. As an American who has seen ugly racism up close, Thais don't even know what the word racism means because they simply don't practice it. But they do recognize differences in people and for this, some farangs get all up-in-arms about it. But Thais will not be burning a cross in front of your home any time soon.

Truth is, back in the USA, most of the truly racist folks are from the lower levels of society. "White trash" basically who are uneducated, unsophisticated, disenfranchised, with little real prospects of succeeding. So they have to blame somebody for their lot in life. Many of the farangs who settle in Thailand are, shall we say, not the creme dela creme. They like to scream racism at the Thais because it's their opportunity to finally turn the tables. I would imagine these are the sort of folks who might have a racist streak. You can tell when they try to switch blame towards the Thais, insisting that the Thais are more racist towards blacks. But from the many black folks I've met in Thailand, this is not the case.

Every week I see signs in hotels and bars saying: No Arabs or Black people. We don't serve people from Africa. And similar signs.

But "Berkshire" the berk does not want to see signs that say "no blacks". Do they have signs like that in the USA "Berkshire" ?

I wonder how many people on here rmemeber The Anzac Hotel (Pattayaland 1) or the sign that used to hang above the reception desk?

Brilliant Ozzy humour, people used to take photos of it to take back home, people back home wouldnt/coudnt believe such signs were possible.

As for the no Arabs signs, they were popular in bars 20 years ago, havent seen any in ages.

Certainly never saw any in a hotel.

I've definitely found myself stereotyping alot more since moving here 7 years ago. I have found my feelings towards russians and arabs/indians to be basically racist. I don't feel the same way when I visit the US and encounter those races. I have close Indian friends in the US who, if they knew the things I thought/say to indian visitors in Thailand wouldn't have anything to do with me.

As for the no Arabs signs, they were popular in bars 20 years ago, havent seen any in ages.

I haven't seen any in ages as well. But the Lars dude says he sees these signs EVERY WEEK?? Is he delusional or just adept at telling lies?

I haven't seen any in ages as well. But the Lars dude says he sees these signs EVERY WEEK?? Is he delusional or just adept at telling lies?

I will be in Pattaya next month, I certainly didnt see any during my last visit in Dec, I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled.

Perhaps Lars could point me in the right direction to see these signs, and let me know which hotels have them.

I have NEVER seen these signs in a hotel.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wonder how many people on here rmemeber The Anzac Hotel (Pattayaland 1) or the sign that used to hang above the reception desk?

Brilliant Ozzy humour, people used to take photos of it to take back home, people back home wouldnt/coudnt believe such signs were possible.

I remember the Anzac well, but can't remember the sign. Like you say, the anti-Arab signs/urinal targets were certainly the rage back then.

I do remember the Dogs &lt;deleted&gt; (Soi Yamoto) had a couple of colourful signs as well not long after they opened................

Going back before that, a lot of the bars on Beach Road (which were closed decades ago) weren't scared to deter certain customers as well.

I can see signs like this in many bars in the Nana area. This one sits on the wall in a bar at soi 5 sukhomwith.

post-197338-0-72990600-1392969701_thumb.