Thai PM protests innocence amid impeachment threat

webfact

Thai PM protests innocence amid impeachment threat

BANGKOK, February 20, 2014 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday protested her innocence after an anti-corruption panel filed charges of neglect of duty that could lead to her removal from office.

Yingluck, who has faced near four months of mass street protests seeking her resignation, questioned why the investigation by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) into an expensive rice subsidy scheme had apparently been fast-tracked.

"I reaffirm that I am innocent of the accusations by the NACC," Yingluck said on her official Facebook page.

"Even though I am accused of criminal charges and face removal (from office), which were the wishes of people who want to overthrow the government, I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts," she added.

The NACC says Yingluck ignored warnings that the rice scheme was fostering corruption and causing financial losses. She has been summoned to hear the charges on February 27.

Yingluck urged the panel not to rush to deliver a ruling "which may be criticised by society as benefiting people who want to overthrow the government," noting that similar complaints against the previous administration were still under investigation.

Her critics say the controversial scheme, which guarantees farmers above-market rates for rice, has encouraged corruption, drained the public coffers and left the country with a mountain of unsold stock.

They accuse her billionaire family of using taxpayers' money to buy the loyalty of rural voters through such populist policies.

Yingluck said she was simply trying to improve the lives of farmers.

The opposition demonstrators want Yingluck to step down and make way for a temporary unelected government that would oversee loosely defined reforms to tackle corruption and alleged vote-buying.

The country's main opposition party boycotted a February 2 election and the results are not expected to be known until voting is held in constituencies where voting was disrupted by protesters.

In another legal setback to Yingluck, a Thai Civil Court on Wednesday ordered the government not to use force against peaceful protests, limiting the authorities' scope to deal with opposition rallies that have descended into violence on several occasions.

Sixteen people have been killed, both protesters and policemen, and hundreds injured in gunfire and grenade blasts.

New York-based Human Rights Watch accused both sides of using live ammunition in clashes on Tuesday in Bangkok's historic district in which five people were killed and dozens wounded.

"Excessive force by the police and violence by groups on both sides of the political divide needs to stop to prevent this situation from escalating out of control," HRW Asia director Brad Adams said in a statement.

The government has said security forces used only rubber bullets and not live ammunition.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-20

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Yingluck said she was simply trying to improve the lives of farmers."

My brother told me that the 'trickle down' effect greatly improves the lives of the poor in general and farmers specifically. Do you think I really like shopping?

• Like 2

Why is this news? As if she will admit guilt amid impeachment threat.

All it does from a PTP stand point is strengthen the resolve of the UDD when they march into the capital heavily armed and matches in hand when she is proven guilty because of the overwhelming evidence.

If the PTP want to blame the rice scheme problems on the PDRC then blame them for the corruption too.

• Like 1

if shes innocent why all the secrets about the scheme...blaming the last gov about crimes corruption etc is the fault of the courts not the accused ...again its always someone elses fault over here and i mean the whole population not just her...its not thai bashing but with their mentality more like child bashing.coffee1.gif

Guilty as sin - we all know it, only we have to wait for the NACC to uncover all the evidence... i reckon once this sees daylight even the most staunch Red Shirts will be shocked at the levels of corruption and theivery involved in this Rice Pledging Scheme... mark my words.

Maybe there will finally be an accounting of the rice pledge scheme losses now that her job and freedom is on the line. She should spare her country and party the embarrassment and just high-tail it to Dubai.

Indeed. Yingluck claims she is innocent but at the same time hasn't released any figures since the scheme started almost 3 years ago.

If you are innocent the first thing you would do is remove any speculation by revealing the numbers.

unfortunatley young nicholas you and the majority live in the real world,she thought harry potter was real..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe there will finally be an accounting of the rice pledge scheme losses now that her job and freedom is on the line. She should spare her country and party the embarrassment and just high-tail it to Dubai.

On your first point, hopefully when the NACC reveals all evidence about the rice scam there will be an accounting, or public outcry will demand a full accounting, constructed by a highly credible body and not constructed by the pt.

"Even though I am accused of criminal charges and face removal (from office), which were the wishes of people who want to overthrow the government, I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts," she added.

I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts

You are? Splendid!, then why don't you go to the NACC to do that?

• Like 1

Yingluck defends her innocence on the rice scheme controversy

FB-yingluck-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Thursday insisted that she is innocent and not involved in the rice-pledging scheme. She accused the National Anti Corruption Commission (NACC) of unfair treatment by pressing corruption charges on her in just 21 days of inquiry.

Posting in a lengthy statement on her Facebook page, Ms Yingluck insisted she is innocent but would be willing to cooperate with the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

“I reaffirm that I am innocent of the accusations by the NACC,” Yingluck said on her official Facebook page.

“Even though I am accused of criminal charges and face removal (from office), which were the wishes of people who want to overthrow the government, I am willing to cooperate to establish the facts.”

She went on saying “My work as Prime Minister and also as Chairperson of the National Rice Policy Committee is done at the policy level. While at the operational level, the implementation of the Rice Pledging Scheme requires the establishment of a framework, steps, and procedures by government agencies and officials in accordance with the policy direction given.”

She said “the government system of work has its own standards and regulations; therefore my work at the policy level does not have the authority to directly operate, order, or overrule the work of government officials in anyway. The implementation of projects involved with a policy must be in accordance with a Cabinet Resolution and must be based on Government Policy as announced to the House of Representatives, stipulated in Articles 171 and 178 of the Constitution of Thailand. I have always been aware that government work and private sector work must be based on such principles and with clear delegation of duties so that there is accountability in all related issues and accountability in each procedure.

Therefore, as there will be an announcement over the investigations into myself and although I have not been involved at the operational level, but nevertheless as I am being accused, I am compelled to exercise my rights within judicial procedures and therefore ask to examine the evidence and witnesses, in accordance with my rights in the judicial procedure as guaranteed by the Constitution of Thailand, so that I can correctly explain such accusations that I have not been involved in any wrongdoing to the NACC.”

She said she had submitted two official petition notes to the NACC since 11 February 2014, asking them to kindly consider reassigning any other NACC member to undertake the task of investigation, instead of Professor Vicha Mahakul.

“However, since that day, I have not been informed by the NACC that my two above-mentioned petitions for justice would be considered or not. Instead, on 18 February 2014, the NACC, through a press briefing by the NACC member that I wished to be substituted, announced that I have been called on 27 February 2014, at 14.00 hrs. to be notified of the charges. If one considers the duration since the NACC assigned its member to investigate the case on 28 January 2014 until the recent announcement on 18 February 2014, it is only just 21 days. This short duration that the NACC used to investigate a political case has never happened before.

Another observation is that a cabinet member in the last government has been charged with corruption on many counts, including corruption charges on their rice insurance scheme. Surprisingly, there has been no judicial development regarding that particular case, whereas it takes only 21 days to investigate and bring charges against me,” she added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-defends-innocence-rice-scheme-controversy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-20

• Like 1

One easy way for you to ascertain what the charges are, would be for you to turn up at the NACC next week to hear and acknowledge them, missy.

I wonder if she is aware of exactly what her spin doctor has posted on her official Facebook page yet, even.

• Like 1