Anybody else about new marriage extension rules in the pipeline?

I thought that I was being lined up for a scam in December when a senior police officer told me that, with ฿400 000 in the bank I would be exempt from the 90 day stuff, and as far as I understood him, going to immigration at all.

At Immigration today I was told the same thing, maybe next time I get a new extension, I could do this. I should imagine that immigration would be relieved to be released from all the paper work involved with marriage extensions so it would be rational (bearing in mind that TIT) to do something like this.

Any thoughts? I will call my embassy tomorrow, maybe they know something.

on the same subject, nearly, read the back half of this post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694807-immigration-office-khon-kaen/?p=7260204

Interesting, thanks. Thinking about this, it seems to me that the 90 day reporting can be done by mail, or a policeman can confirm that you are still living where you say you are. As far as I know this is only applied to older people that have difficulties travelling. Maybe, on condition of having ฿400 000.- then the 90 days reporting will be done by mail. This would be a blow for me as that represents half of my 'fortune'.

Both sources I mentioned above seemed pretty positive about this. Buriram.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694807-immigration-office-khon-kaen/?p=7260204

Interesting, thanks. Thinking about this, it seems to me that the 90 day reporting can be done by mail, or a policeman can confirm that you are still living where you say you are. As far as I know this is only applied to older people that have difficulties travelling. Maybe, on condition of having ฿400 000.- then the 90 days reporting will be done by mail. This would be a blow for me as that represents half of my 'fortune'.

A number of people in Buriram do not do 90 day reporting.

A number of people in Buriram have paid 2,000 Baht for this privilege.

• Like 1

The law allows for 90 day reporting being done by mail, it is not up to the discretion of the immigration officer.

The law is the law but TIT. If you insist on the IO carrying out the law to the letter he may well apply the letter of the law to you, there is also a law stating that aliens should visit the local police once a year also....

Edited by cooked

Yes I know, but this does seem to be something very different.

I have seen agents turning up at Immigration with a bundle of passports but I do try to stay legal, and I have noticed that there are a lot less people there than the first time I visited.

Yes I know, but this does seem to be something very different.

I have seen agents turning up at Immigration with a bundle of passports but I do try to stay legal, and I have noticed that there are a lot less people there than the first time I visited.

I think he meant paying the 2000 baht fine for not reporting. Not paying somebody to do the reports for you.

• Like 1