Convert 30 day stamp to non Imm o

Another piece of advice if you can! Friend in need...

He has a visa exempt stamp having just come back from his honeymoon. He lives in Pattaya.

He wants to end up with an extension of stay to his non Imm o. From what I understand he first needs to go to Bangkok Immigration (Lad Phrao for now) and apply for a non Imm O visa (KR2, KR3 and affirmation of freedom to marry and bring his wife). He will get an under consideration stamp and then after 15 days get the remaining 75 days after which he can extend in Jomtien.

Could someone please confirm my understanding is correct and also he doesn't have his affirmation of freedom to marry (Amphur took it and didn't give a copy) - best way to get a copy

Thanks as always!

He will need a little bit more than that:

- proof of income of at least 40,000 a month

OR

- 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand in his name only

- copy wife's ID-card and household book

- best to try and get a copy of the affirmation letter

Best is to call immigration before going to see which documents they require for a conversion to a non-immigrant visa based on marriage.

He will need to do the conversion from an exempt entry to non immigrant visa entry within 15 days of his arrival.

He will need to show either proof of 400k baht in A thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Bangkok immigration will want the affirmation of permit to marry. They should be able to get a copy from the Amphoe.

They will need all the documents required for an extension of stay. House book, photo of house with them near the house number and etc. Plus the marriage certifcate and Kor Ror 2.

If he lives in Pattaya, does he have to go to Bangkok to get the special Non-Immigrant O visa in preparation for applying for a marriage extension?

I know Jomtien can issue the Non-Immigrant O for retirement extensions, but is it different for marriage extensions?

I think Bangkok is now the only place where you can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa based upon being eligible for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. It can also mean two trips to Bangkok because they will give a 15 day under consideration stamp before getting the visa/entry stamp.

Thanks, that is interesting. I guess we retirees should be thankful we get some streamlined (preferential?) treatment. At Jomtien in particular, the retirement extension process is fairly quick, easy and consistent. (Quick, that is, other than perhaps waiting for your queue number to be called, but usually in the afternoon when I go, it's not a long wait.)