Solicitor or land office?

I am funding the purchase of some land for the family I live with.

Have read a couple of threads which suggest going to the land office and handling the transfer of ownership there is ok. The family say they are happy doing this and seemed genuinely surprised when I started talking about solicitors. This is a one off deal, so if it goes wrong, it's their loss, even though I'm funding it. The family are aware of my thoughts. Despite this, I don't want to see them ripped off.

Coming from the UK and having owned, bought and sold, quite a few properties over the years, always using a solicitor, I'm looking for confirmation - is it really that easy?

The land has the red crest chanoot and has been owned by the seller for 15 years.

Some people might want to ask why I'm buying the land. Suffice to say I am more than happy with what I am doing and a gift is a gift. There is nothing underhand with the family 'cos if they wanted the money rather than the land, they could have it.

You dont have any real choice as here the land office does everything to do with the change of ownership. If you employ a lawyer he wont have much to do, if anything, and this is probably why the Thai family doesn't understand why you would want one.

Of course if there is some weird back story of missing owners or strange third parties or lost papers or dodgy unpaid loans/mortgages then of course you should get a lawyer to look at it all, but even then it is the land office who will do the transfer in the end.

• Like 1

Thank you KittenKong.

It's for my peace of mind and, as a Thailand newbie, your answer gives me the reassurance I was looking for.

Only having experience of the UK system, I'm just surprised (pleasantly) it's that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'll back up KK.

Unlike the UK where extensive searches are required, all transactions involving the land including long leases, mortgages and other charges are actually recorded on the chanote itself.

Unless it's gone astray at some point (the land office has multiple copies so that's unlikely) all the necessary information is in one place.

No real need for legal representation.

• Like 2