Driving and vehicle lights

bushman1666

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I feel the need to vent my spleen. After a couple of scary incidents recently with unseen vehicles while driving around dusk. I am at a loss to understand the psyche of Thais and switching on vehicle lights when the sun goes down. They appear very reluctant to switch lights on until it is completely dark. Perhaps putting lights on too soon will be seen as an admission of failure, thus causing loss of face? And we all know how serious that would be. Then when they do put lights on they put fog lights on too. Why? I have never seen fog here. A bit of early morning mist on the rare occasions I driving at dawn. Maybe it's to big-up their already huge pickup trucks? Then, to compound the stupidity they want to keep lights on constant full beam and only reluctantly dip them.

OK, spleen vented. Hope this rant doesn't come across as Thai bashing, certainly not intended that way.

• Like 1

I used to get people flashing their headlights at me in very poor conditions of visibility in the UK many moons ago, because I had turned my lights on. This is done to be seen, not to see, and as such is deemed unnecessary by the average Thai. Driving with sidelights is equally useless but they started mounting these flashing LED lights a few years ago, so go and think about that one.

I nearly had a collision with a police car without lights last year, and have seen police cars with defective lights a few times.

I used to get people flashing their headlights at me in very poor conditions of visibility in the UK many moons ago, because I had turned my lights on. This is done to be seen, not to see, and as such is deemed unnecessary by the average Thai. Driving with sidelights is equally useless but they started mounting these flashing LED lights a few years ago, so go and think about that one.

I nearly had a collision with a police car without lights last year, and have seen police cars with defective lights a few times.

Probably wouldn't get flashed in UK now for lighting up too early. Standard practice to use dipped headlamps as soon as visibility reduces. Side lights are just for parking. Will be great is the folk of LOS adopt same policy soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many Thais believe lights on does burn more fuel, therefore they wait until they can't see the road any more, thus by moonlight there's no need to switch on vehicle lights.

Red lights at the back of vehicles are equally useless since they do not help you in seeing the road in front of you.

It's called Thai logic....

I'm told that the absence of rear lights on motorbikes and vehicles in country areas is because drivers can't afford to buy new ones - seriously. Also some people are worried about the battery running down, or that on long nose tractors with trailers it doesn't matter because they're only going between fields. Rule of thumb - always expect the unexpected. The current trend to have your vehicle lit up like a disco can be quite distracting on moonless nights.

I dont understand how people ride around on bikes at night with no lights or reflectors.

I'd like to see bike riders in these but I know i'm dreaming.

simg_58.jpg

Dreamer, i wouldn't be caught dead wear nanny state gear.

Dont worry about wearing one youll probably end up dead soon anyway

I dont understand how people ride around on bikes at night with no lights or reflectors.

simg_58.jpg

But you may be caught dead not wearing it.

simg_58.jpg

But you may be caught dead not wearing it.

But not in a nanny state at least. For him.