The most dangerous countries to drive in; Thailand ranks #2

webfact

There was a conference here in Phuket a month or so ago and one of the officials confirmed that in Phuket we have 2 road deaths every three days. It doesn't surprise me if it's true and apparently this is only deaths that occur at the roadside and does not include subsequent deaths in hospital. Scary stuff.

SDM

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know Thai drivers are given a license (really equivalent to a learners license in our countries) to drive unsupervised and are normally self taught with all the bad habits that creates. Each day I drive for about 2 hours in Pattaya and every day I am forced to brake to avoid a collision. Just this morning a motorbike driven at high speed with two onboard, without helmets, overtook on a corner that forced me to emergency brake to avoid a head on accident. Luckily I was only travelling at 40ks per hour as I have had a number of near misses on this bit of road.

Even with non corrupt, rigorous law enforcement it would probably be a waste of time given the low fines by today's standards.

I live in Bangkok.

Every four or five years I reconsider purchasing a car. . . . . . a Fortuner, perhaps a goofed up Duke Nukem pickup and a jeep have all been the subject of consideration.

Each time I slipped into the idea of purchasing (something nice, something sporty, something that might be fun to drive) I have been shocked to my senses by news of some horrific highway catastrophe; invariably this catastrophe resulted from one or ALL of the factors you have cited or by personally witnessing some idiot pedalling his desert cart the wrong way on a six lane soi.

Add to this your basic Thai penchant for childish reprisal and his tendency to attack those who have the misfortune not to be Thai, and concern for my personal safety and you have my reason for NOT dropping up to two million baht on the purchase of a car.

I do NOT need the stress, expense, liability, and the risk of exposure to other drivers.

After all these years and the very occasional inconvenience and so many changes of heart I feel my life is just fine without courting death behind the wheel. If ever I need to drive somewhere I will rent a car AND driver with the explicit provision that he will drive as I TELL him he should drive. Slowly and carefully and with a keen observance of common sense.

In one instance I took the keys away from the driver at a rest stop, called the rental/livery outfit and told them about this guy.

There are plenty of options available.

Translate this frame of mind to the very notion of investing here.

Think of buying property here, of getting married here and of doing ANYTHING ELSE in this country.

Think of ANYTHING that might conceivably leave you in the hands of people couldn't care less about your safety, the rule of law or even a modicum of civil conduct towards anyone they see as beneath them and you are wise to avoid it here.

Do not EVER put yourself into their hands.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

We all know Thai drivers are given a license (really equivalent to a learners license in our countries) to drive unsupervised and are normally self taught with all the bad habits that creates. Each day I drive for about 2 hours in Pattaya and every day I am forced to brake to avoid a collision. Just this morning a motorbike driven at high speed with two onboard, without helmets, overtook on a corner that forced me to emergency brake to avoid a head on accident. Luckily I was only travelling at 40ks per hour as I have had a number of near misses on this bit of road.

Even with non corrupt, rigorous law enforcement it would probably be a waste of time given the low fines by today's standards.

I live in Bangkok.

Every four or five years I reconsider purchasing a car. . . . . . a Fortuner, perhaps a goofed up Duke Nukem pickup and a jeep have all been the subject of consideration.

Each time I slipped into the idea of purchasing (something nice, something sporty, something that might be fun to drive) I have been shocked to my senses by news of some horrific highway catastrophe; invariably this catastrophe resulted from one or ALL of the factors you have cited or by personally witnessing some idiot pedalling his desert cart the wrong way on a six lane soi.

Add to this your basic Thai penchant for childish reprisal and his tendency to attack those who have the misfortune not to be Thai, and concern for my personal safety and you have my reason for NOT dropping up to two million baht on the purchase of a car.

I do NOT need the stress, expense, liability, and the risk of exposure to other drivers.

After all these years and the very occasional inconvenience and so many changes of heart I feel my life is just fine without courting death behind the wheel. If ever I need to drive somewhere I will rent a car AND driver with the explicit provision that he will drive as I TELL him he should drive. Slowly and carefully and with a keen observance of common sense.

In one instance I took the keys away from the driver at a rest stop, called the rental/livery outfit and told them about this guy.

There are plenty of options available.

Translate this frame of mind to the very notion of investing here.

Think of buying property here, of getting married here and of doing ANYTHING ELSE in this country.

Think of ANYTHING that might conceivably leave you in the hands of people couldn't care less about your safety, the rule of law or even a modicum of civil conduct towards anyone they see as beneath them and you are wise to avoid it here.

Do not EVER put yourself into their hands.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Odd times when your having a pee and you don't know the seat it will drop down--so you can never be sure can you.

I don't understand why people who hate Thailand and Thai people and consider this to be one of the most dangerous places on earth (for driving at least) come to this country and waste their time posting in this forum.

Why don't you go back to your own country and find a forum there where you can post about how wonderful it is.

Being positive might make you feel a lot better about yourself.

Having said that, its a complete waste of time posting on this topic as it has degenerated into moaning and trading insults

I don't understand why people who hate Thailand and Thai people and consider this to be one of the most dangerous places on earth (for driving at least) come to this country and waste their time posting in this forum.

Why don't you go back to your own country and find a forum there where you can post about how wonderful it is.

The accidents stats are from an outside source rather than people here that have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is too drive.

As someone who has lived in Thailand for many years I think it's fair to say that there are good points and bad points of living here, as with any country. But I think it is also fair and undeniable to say that the general standard of driving here is appalling. It is also clear, from a factual point of view rather than just an an opinion, if these stats are to be accepted, that Thailand is actually one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive.

I

SDM

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The accidents stats are from an outside source rather than people here that have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is too drive.

As someone who has lived in Thailand for many years I think it's fair to say that there are good points and bad points of living here, as with any country. But I think it is also fair and undeniable to say that the general standard of driving here is appalling. It is also clear, from a factual point of view rather than just an an opinion, if these stats are to be accepted, that Thailand is actually one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive.

I

SDM

The problem with this post is that it is devoid of any critical analysis and simply accepts personal experience as indicative and an illogical/naive interpretation of the stats.

What the significance of this statement is eludes me. "The accidents stats are from an outside source rather than people here that have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is too drive." - it simply doesn't make sense. how can stats be from an "outside source"?

More then 80% of the vehicle fatalities in Thailand involve either motorcycles and/or commercial transportation like buses, transport rigs (10 & 18 wheelers), songtaew's (pickups), and vans. These particular groups of drivers have shown reckless driving behavior and disregard of traffic and speed laws. But another important point is that many employers require their drivers to work (drive) over 12-16 hrs/day which results in fatigue and dependency on energy drinks and yaa baa (amphetamines). These drivers often doze off or drive with impaired judgement. The transport ministry needs to get serious with drivers and employers by taking away licenses and imposing heavy fines on repeat offenders.

Edited by smileydude

Early this morning I tooted my car horn as a warning for overtaking of two motorcyclists travelling side by side and blocking the road. They pulled over and then chased me hitting the side of my car with their helmets. I do not imaging this behaviour is unique to Thailand, but its my first experience of this level of aggression when driving in many countries over many years.

That's just insane - normally motorcyclists are mowed down here by larger vehicles i.e. cars, pickups, trucks, semis etc. How dare they chase you down - one side swerve by you and they would have ended up on the road, probably dead.

I am absolutely terrified driving my motorcycle down the highways here and never take anything for granted. Driving a car though, it's no problem. Hence I generally choose to drive my car despite the much higher fuel cost.

Clearly non of these polsters have driven a car in Cambodia or Vietnam for that matter.

Thailand's roads are MUCH safer.

I have driven in all three countries and generally agree. However, Vietnam has implemented a number of policies to try to change this and seems to think that Thai drivers aren't to be trusted with their steering wheels on the wrong side of the vehicle and their poor driving habits, hence Thai vehicles are prohibited from entering Vietnam.

I would put 2 criteria into the mix.

1) A lot of motorbikes & a lot of SUVs - the two don't mix particularly well at speed

2) The main roads are pretty good here compared to other third world countries, therefore you can get a good head of steam up. I've noticed once they widen or relay a road it seems to get more dangerous as people can drive quicker on them.

SUVs, overloaded pickups and BIG trucks mixed with motorbikes - yes thats a potent mix.

Wide roads make good places for overtaking - oncoming traffic beware!

Ive driven a lot in Bangkok, its nice and one of the best places for a motorbike in Thailand. Rather safe and fast. When the trucks or buses come, stay clear. Bigger road, higher speed!

Around Phuket wouldnt recommend anyone I care about on a bike. The traffic and roads there are crazy, pure crazy! I havent been there that many times but saw about 2 accidents a day when travelling and a couple that probably didnt need an ambulance.

Up around Kalasin where Ive been spending most of my traffic time Ive tested the limits of my bike and varoius cars. I feel rather safe in a big pickup or SUV. I dont feel safe on my bike but after driving big and small bikes for many years back home I know how to adept. When visiting the closest city Ive seen about one accident every day, more when its raining. Some are just a bump others not so nice.

There are a lot of bad drivers in LOS, there are some good ones too. Most of the traffic here is some kind of agressive reactive but in a rather relaxed way. You handle what you see before you and dont really care about anything behind you except if its bigger then you-

Its hard to understand if you havent done it. But if your used to a lot of traffic back home in an intense tempo you will probably adept fine.

So, yes it is dangerous.

And yes, it can be safe for you if you behave and look out but you need to understand that the other ones dont care if you make it or not. If they save a minute or 2 before the next city then they will pass you, not caring if there is enough space or not.

If youre on a bike you are supposed to make room for a car from behind ... even if youre already doing well over a 100.

My driving teacher back in the days told me something that I took to fast: As long as you remember that all the others on the road probaly are idiots and that they dont see you and ride you bike accordingly you will live to see your children some day, if not youd better stick to drive a car.

Bangkok is just about the worst place to ride a motorcycle in Thailand. Ever wonder why there are no motorcycle rental shops in Bangkok? yes, that's why. And yet I am continually amazed at the sight of westerners on motorcycles riding in Bangkok, including a young couple wearing shorts and a t-shirt riding on Rama 4 road a couple of weeks back who looked like they got lost, coming up from Pattaya?! Certainly a very unusual sight that I was not expecting at all. Where did they rent the bike, and how is the guy so confident as to ride the roads in a city like Bangkok,where vehicles will mow you down at every opportunity?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Yes, happen quite often biggrin.png Your little quote is aimed more about the daily nitpicking on western roads.

We are talking about things like intentionally running red lights and driving on the wrong side of the road. That is serious stupidity!

And I agree that it is possible to drive here without having an accident for 10-20-30 years. It just isn´t fun (for me), driving used to be something I enjoy, now I hate it. But as all board members live in different areas it´s hard to find a common point of view anyway. As I am in BKK, driving here is not pleasant at all. Other regions may be a lot better, haven´t been everywhere and don´t intend to go to certain places.

My exact sentiments.......

I spent 30 years as a professional driver, over 3 million kilometres. Problems i see here, lack of training and enforcement, poor design at a lot of intersections, u-turns on the freeway, and the plethora of different vehicles on the road. I really don't think a motorcycle/restaurant belongs in the fast lane on the freeway.

neither does a man leading an elephant but it happens............

I've said this so many times that I've stopped coming onto forums and trying to explain. Posting non-accredited material does not help, even from a university.. Posting ''in my experience'', is not relevant as we all have a different threshold to evaluating risk.

I often look at Wikipedia, there's some good information on it. However, as a former UK registered expert witness and as a working researcher I am not allowed to refer to Wiki as it lacks credibility and accreditation.

Thailand refused to be audited, as stated, their statistics are not credible. This isn't only malice and the usual corruption, it's also incompetence. Thailand is an insular country, they do not take well to foreigners interfering, unless it's the USA selling arms of course. They could have been given a $6 million grant to improve road safety, mainly in education, but part of the agreement was the UN/WHO would monitor where the money goes. Not surprising that Thailand declined. The $6 million went to Cambodia and Vietnam.

Good contribution!

But sure as a bear sh@*s in the woods there are a host of posters whose only expertise is in expressing their own opinions or how to make small talk with bar girls who will point out where you are wrong in their own idea of a reasoned argument. And that personal experience (which is of course more macho) trumps research (those who sit at home and theorise on computers) every time. As if one is somehow the polar opposite, or negates the need for, the other.

'Registered expert witness? Whats that to my [here you insert a suitably impressive figure] km of accident free driving in the LOS I know so well! Anybody who disagrees with me obviously hasn't been here as long as me (or their a troll)! Hey, maybe I AM a traffic expert after all!'

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My 5.5 year old truck has nearly 170,000 km on and never been in a traffic accident. My 4 year old motorcycle (big bike) has nearly 70,000 km on it and never been in a traffic accident. I did have a Toyota Corolla many years ago that was involved in 1 traffic accident when my Thai wife let my 15 year old drive and she pulled out in front of a pick-up. Can't really see why the accident wasn't worse considering the pickups rear tire went over the front of the vehicle. I have rented numerous other vehicles over my 35 years of coming here and never involved in a traffic accident.

Not sure what your point is. Please explain.

I

SDM

The problem with this post is that it is devoid of any critical analysis and simply accepts personal experience as indicative and an illogical/naive interpretation of the stats.

What the significance of this statement is eludes me. "The accidents stats are from an outside source rather than people here that have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is too drive." - it simply doesn't make sense. how can stats be from an "outside source"?

Critical analysis ? I'm not qualified to make such an analysis although anyone that actually lives here, or spends any kind of time here who doesn't think it's " fair and undeniable to say that the general standard of driving here is appalling" is quite frankly living in dreamland and I don't mean the amusement park by the same name.

My "personal experience" is not an " illogical/naive interpretation of the stats", it is confirmation of them in so far as I personally see accidents on an almost daily basis, some so serious that must involve some fatality.

To be clear when I say the stats are from an "outside source rather than people here who have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is to drive" I mean that the stats are not from the people here on this thread, or on Thai Visa, they are from a source that is independent of Thai Visa, ie an "Outside source", it makes perfect sense to me.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Nobody should pay much attention to this statistic. The premise of the argument is that deaths per 100k of population is the correct and only measurement of road safety. A country with a very high population, and a high rate of accidents per vehicle (rather than population) might score very well using this methodology. A quick internet search shows that Thailand has approximately double the number of vehicles per 100k population that Namibia does, which would mean that the danger is overstated using only this statistic for comparison.

A more correct headline would be: "Most dangerous countries to live in, because you are more likely to drive there".

This list also takes nothing into account on the side of passenger safety measures. What about deaths/100k of passengers wearing their seat belt vs not? Or wearing a helmet vs not? Riding a motorbike vs riding in a car? Or vehicles with airbags vs not? My guess is that these factors would show a great deal better safety record than this one raw number (if you put yourself into the "safest" group of course). We all know that the roads here are more dangerous than most of the countries we came from, and I think the statistics would certainly show that, but I think this article is stupidly simplistic, and just seems to be fueling the prejudices of stupid people.

An interesting article in our local newspaper. Interesting because the stats are drawn from our local figures and not compared with other countries. It also represent the opinions of Thais themselves rather than foreign "experts"

" Over 300 people from throughout Southern Thailand yesterday concluded a two-day seminar geared to develop methods to reduce road-traffic deaths.............

“Someone dies in Thailand from a road accident every half an hour. In Phuket, we have one death every three days. That's why it is imperative that we find a way to reduce the death rate,” Dr Thanapong told the Phuket Gazette...............

“We've managed to reduce road deaths from 200 in 2007 to 111 in 2013,” Dr Wiwat said. “We expect to have fewer than 100 road deaths this year.”

The more we know about what causes road accidents, the more we are able to prevent them, Dr Thanapong stressed................

However, one of the most critical things to do is to change how Thais think about accidents, Dr Thanapong said.

Thais have traditionally felt that accidents occur because of bad fortune, or other kinds of mysterious forces. An Assumption University poll showed that 26 per cent of a survey group believed that accidents could not be prevented. "

It's only an extract, the full text is on the Phuket Gazette website for anyone that doesn't get the paper. We can conclude that although the death rate is still high, it would seem to be improving.

SDM

I

SDM

Critical analysis ? I'm not qualified to make such an analysis although anyone that actually lives here, or spends any kind of time here who doesn't think it's " fair and undeniable to say that the general standard of driving here is appalling" is quite frankly living in dreamland and I don't mean the amusement park by the same name.

My "personal experience" is not an " illogical/naive interpretation of the stats", it is confirmation of them in so far as I personally see accidents on an almost daily basis, some so serious that must involve some fatality.

To be clear when I say the stats are from an "outside source rather than people here who have voiced opinions about how dangerous a place Thailand is to drive" I mean that the stats are not from the people here on this thread, or on Thai Visa, they are from a source that is independent of Thai Visa, ie an "Outside source", it makes perfect sense to me.

SDM

QED

Wilcops

"QED"

Are you confirming that I have confirmed my opinion by demonstration of fact or you have ? If it is the former, thank you for being honest, if it is the latter perhaps you should read my later post, a recent article quoted from the Phuket Gazette which truly does confirm my opinion and that of every expat who I know.

Out of interest, do you live in Thailand ? If you do are you in a village, City or tourist area ? Just curious.

SDM

Being positive might make you feel a lot better about yourself.

Having said that, its a complete waste of time posting on this topic as it has degenerated into moaning and trading insults

I for one really enjoy my life in Thailand and get on very well with most of the people I meet here.

I don't hate the country or the people but find the wasted 26000 lives every single year very tragic and can't for the life of me understand why nothing is done to stop the carnage.

As for the 'go home if you don't like it' comment where should my Thai mother in law go? Her son was killed by a drunk driver who escaped all liability by paying off the Police.

Where should my Thai friend go? Her father was killed by a drunk driver only last month.

I've said this so many times that I've stopped coming onto forums and trying to explain. Posting non-accredited material does not help, even from a university.. Posting ''in my experience'', is not relevant as we all have a different threshold to evaluating risk.

I often look at Wikipedia, there's some good information on it. However, as a former UK registered expert witness and as a working researcher I am not allowed to refer to Wiki as it lacks credibility and accreditation.

Thailand refused to be audited, as stated, their statistics are not credible. This isn't only malice and the usual corruption, it's also incompetence. Thailand is an insular country, they do not take well to foreigners interfering, unless it's the USA selling arms of course. They could have been given a $6 million grant to improve road safety, mainly in education, but part of the agreement was the UN/WHO would monitor where the money goes. Not surprising that Thailand declined. The $6 million went to Cambodia and Vietnam.

Good contribution!

But sure as a bear sh@*s in the woods there are a host of posters whose only expertise is in expressing their own opinions or how to make small talk with bar girls who will point out where you are wrong in their own idea of a reasoned argument. And that personal experience (which is of course more macho) trumps research (those who sit at home and theorise on computers) every time. As if one is somehow the polar opposite, or negates the need for, the other.

'Registered expert witness? Whats that to my [here you insert a suitably impressive figure] km of accident free driving in the LOS I know so well! Anybody who disagrees with me obviously hasn't been here as long as me (or their a troll)! Hey, maybe I AM a traffic expert after all!'

My 5.5 year old truck has nearly 170,000 km on and never been in a traffic accident. My 4 year old motorcycle (big bike) has nearly 70,000 km on it and never been in a traffic accident. I did have a Toyota Corolla many years ago that was involved in 1 traffic accident when my Thai wife let my 15 year old drive and she pulled out in front of a pick-up. Can't really see why the accident wasn't worse considering the pickups rear tire went over the front of the vehicle. I have rented numerous other vehicles over my 35 years of coming here and never involved in a traffic accident.

Not sure what your point is. Please explain.

Have a look at all of my posts on this topic. I make the same basic point a number of times. 44 fatalities (or whatever it was) out of 100 000 means 999, 956 didnt die. So your pointing to a few vehicles and your own experience and saying they never had accidents is entirely consistent with these stats (altho the stats are for fatalities not accidents). You and the other 99.96% of the population didnt suffer a fatal accident. Your observations are valid but they dont refute the stats one iota.

Whether Thailand is a dangerous place to drive or not is purely subjective. It can be the 2nd most dangerous place to drive in the world as measured by fatalities per 100 k of popln without being 'dangerous' per se. You may think its not dangerous, others think it is - you are both right cos 'danger' in this case is highly subjective.

I for one really enjoy my life in Thailand and get on very well with most of the people I meet here.

I don't hate the country or the people but find the wasted 26000 lives every single year very tragic and can't for the life of me understand why nothing is done to stop the carnage.

As for the 'go home if you don't like it' comment where should my Thai mother in law go? Her son was killed by a drunk driver who escaped all liability by paying off the Police.

Where should my Thai friend go? Her father was killed by a drunk driver only last month.

I echo your comments and agree once you do a tally of the good and bad I think this is a wonderful place to live. It's not perfect but where is.

When you compare the loss of life here with that of a developed country such as the UK it is shocking. I live in Phuket and it seems that I see or witness an accident almost every day, bikes, cars, buses we get it all. Most are down to driver error, a few to mechanical failure.

I believe other causes fall into basic area ;

Apathy/Ability; Most Thais feel that driving is a simple skill that involves the basic ability to operate the vehicle. Many have no wish to improve their driving skills and if anything believe that the ability to, drive, drive fast, we might say recklessly, and not have an accident is confirmation of their driving ability. For those of us who learnt to drive in the West we know that the ability to drive the vehicle is the most basic part of being a competent driver. The most important part is awareness of our situation. By the use of our mirrors and observation most Western drivers are aware on an almost subconscious level of traffic that is behind us and to either wide, also traffic that was to our side and is now in a blind spot. One other difference is that when looking ahead most Thai drivers will be concentrating on the area immediately in front of their vehicle, as Western drivers we are taught to also be looking 500/1000 metres ahead.

Education; In the West we have a system whereby we are formerly taught to drive by a professional teacher, or a driver with experience and skill who no doubt would have had formal lessons him/herself. We are taught around a set of basic requirements/skills and when we have mastered those are allowed to do a formal test, which is also based on those same basic requirements. If we satisfy the test we are licensed to drive alone, or as some see it to continue our driver training alone with a basic set of minimum safety standards and skills. However over here there is no formal training requirement and skills are learned by experimentation and guesswork. Most Thai drivers are taught by a family member who learned in the same manner. In my opinion this is the route of the problem but since the fine for driving without a licence of is low or it is a very simple process to get a licence, coupled with the fact that drivers believe the ability to drive is no more difficult then riding a pushbike, it will never change. For anyone who doubts this let me mention a few buzzwords that will speak volumes; lane discipline, corner cutting, overtaking on bends and other inn appropriated situations, the list goes on and we all know it. These failings are because the drivers know no better.

Equipment failure is also a big problem here due to lack of maintenance, broken lights, faulty brakes etc.

SDM

I've been driving in Thailand for a/b 7+ years. Also road a "chopper" in BKK. I have NEVER seen such antics on the road as here. Up here in Isaan I think it's WORSE, if that is possible. Thais' seem to just do whatever they feel like doing re: operating a motor vehicle. Hell 6 year olds operate motorbikes here.... with a band of friends hanging all over the machine as well.

The most perplexing driving habit that I observe - perhaps - is making a right hand turn from the right hand land and onto the right hand lane of the street/road they turn into. Can this maneuver be explained? I really can not understand why they think this tactic is desirable. To do this is unimaginable (to me); THEN they seem genuinely SHOCKED when a vehicle (traveling in the left lane) nearly hits them.

I could go on but you most likely know the other usual driving infractions. With NO police enforcement it can seem like utter madness/chaos. Wouldn't self preservation prompt individuals to think a/b what might get them killed, and avoid that? I don't get it. Maybe you folks with more experience can clear this up for me. If so thanks in advance.

How's this: The self-preservation computer chip is simply missing.

Nothing will change in Thailand because no one cares about anyone else in Thailand only me me and money money road safety is a million miles away, making a simple thing like wearing an appropriate certified crash helmet not a thin bit of plastic is far too difficult for a Thai to do or understand what it is for it’s our tradition and custom not to wear a helmet that’s why we all die on motorcycle accidents, we can’t afford to buy expensive helmet because I need all my wonderful money to buy the latest phone and more money to buy whisky for tonight, and also need money to pay police man fine for not wearing a helmet.

Edited by metisdead
Font fixed again.

Basically, correct. It matters not how dangerous a country is. If you have a high standard of defensive driving, anticipation and able to do a basic risk assessment you will be able to stay safe and avoid these idiots.

This is completely correct. We know this, but the hundreds of tourists/backpackers coming here don't. Like everything else, they assume the same safety standards and quality of roads and drivers that they are used to in their home countries will exist half way around the world... (mind you some European drivers are completely insane, as are the Russians, from what I've seen.). Anyway, I mostly drive the car now... I've seen too much.sad.png

Basically, correct. It matters not how dangerous a country is. If you have a high standard of defensive driving, anticipation and able to do a basic risk assessment you will be able to stay safe and avoid these idiots.

I think broadly speaking this is correct but where I live it is very mountainous. We have had a number of incidents over the years where buses/trucks/WMDs (sorry, commuter vans) have lost control due to driving too fast or having their brakes overheat on the way down. Unfortunately if you are in front of one of these it really doesn't matter what style of driving you adopt.

SDM

I think broadly speaking this is correct but where I live it is very mountainous. We have had a number of incidents over the years where buses/trucks/WMDs (sorry, commuter vans) have lost control due to driving too fast or having their brakes overheat on the way down. Unfortunately if you are in front of one of these it really doesn't matter what style of driving you adopt.

SDM

Exactly.

If a truck behind you loses brakes on one of those roads Im afraid your past driving history is unlikely to affect the result unless it entitled you to an ejector seat. You could try arguing with the truck's compressor that you have driven the last billion miles (or whatever you claim it was) incident free and this shouldnt be happening to you.

Good luck with that.