Airlines now asking to see tourist visa for visits longer than 3 weeks, WTF?

Some airline staff do get pedantic about these things, particularly where they don't actually know the requirements. I had a similar issue with Singapore Airlines some years ago, and despite being told I didn't need a visa, they insisted I sign an agreement to cover the return fare in case I was refused entry. I signed, in a manner of speaking, though I doubt it would have held up in a court of law.

However, you, as with others, are getting confused with non-visa entry and visa on arrival. You can't extend a visa that you don't have. Easiest is to get the visa before departure, as your mother is now doing, but could have done much earlier.

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS on the arrival departure card which you fill in prior to BKK immigration arrival, you have to state what date and the mean's of your departure.

You mean on the back of the arrival section? You don't have to enter any date on that, simply your next destination. I haven't completed that sections for many years and I don't know if they ever look at this information in any case, I always thought is was just for TAT's statistics.

EXACTLY! They don't care if you fill this out on arrival or not. Most of the time I don't bother with it until I'm getting ready to leave. 'Wish posters wouldn't just presume stuff and post it here as fact, but it happens often. Bossbar's post a perfect example.

AND quite wrong the bit about the 7-day "extension". That's time to leave the kingdom if a request for an extension on a 30d visa exempt entry is refused (which it will always be since no such provision exists in the law). It's definitely NOT part of your 30d visa exempt wndow, and must be requested AND paid for (1900THB if I remember correctly) AT an immigration office, and CAN in fact be refused (although that probably hardly ever happens, it IS entirely within the immigration officer's discretion). More posting based on half-truth.

Oye FYI (FACT) I have was told by immigration regarding filling it in, i was told to go away fill the section and return after it was completed.

Also its for departure and you MUST fill in your departure flight details etc.

Maybe you know more than Thai immigration.

PS on the arrival departure card which you fill in prior to BKK immigration arrival, you have to state what date and the mean's of your departure.

You mean on the back of the arrival section? You don't have to enter any date on that, simply your next destination. I haven't completed that sections for many years and I don't know if they ever look at this information in any case, I always thought is was just for TAT's statistics.

EXACTLY! They don't care if you fill this out on arrival or not. Most of the time I don't bother with it until I'm getting ready to leave. 'Wish posters wouldn't just presume stuff and post it here as fact, but it happens often. Bossbar's post a perfect example.

AND quite wrong the bit about the 7-day "extension". That's time to leave the kingdom if a request for an extension on a 30d visa exempt entry is refused (which it will always be since no such provision exists in the law). It's definitely NOT part of your 30d visa exempt wndow, and must be requested AND paid for (1900THB if I remember correctly) AT an immigration office, and CAN in fact be refused (although that probably hardly ever happens, it IS entirely within the immigration officer's discretion). More posting based on half-truth.

Oye FYI (FACT) I have was told by immigration regarding filling it in, i was told to go away fill the section and return after it was completed.

Also its for departure and you MUST fill in your departure flight details etc.

Maybe you know more than Thai immigration.

PS no date required but departure details required.

I recently flew into Bangkok on a ticket with return later than 30 days. I was given visa waiver on arrival of 30 days ie my visa waiver ended before my flight out. Questions from neither airline, nor the officials in Bangkok.

If I had been questioned, my reasoning was that I was carrying return tickets to Phnom Penh that would prove that, in effect, I was doing a "visa run" - subsequent to the Phnom Penh trip, my visa waiver cover, through a second waiver stamp, would extend out beyond my return ticket from Bangkok. Two things did occur to me:

1. I seem to remember that you could only play in this way with visa waiver stamps X times (maybe two or three).

2. That it would be logical for the authorities in Thailand to expect to see a visa to show that you could, indeed, make that exit, though, of course, the exit may be to a visa-free country. I was travelling to Cambodia with an e-visa, which I could physically show. If travelling visa on arrival, you'd only be able to show your entitlement, not the actual visa.

In the event, nobody, be it airline or Thai authorities looked at anything, asked about anything. Maybe starting the trip from, and with all boarding passes issued at, a tiny airport in the middle of nowhere in China helped!

• Like 1

So if you are staying more than 60 days then a 60 day tourist visa does not meet the requirements?

If you have a 1 year extension of stay and a re-entry permit then one needs a ticket out before the 1 year extension of stay expires?

Btw, I hear if traveling to the Philippines they are very strict regarding a ticket out.

To answer your second question: No you don't require any ticket out at all. Neither by the airlines not by Thai Immigration (who are the ones that care least about the rule.)

So if you are staying more than 60 days then a 60 day tourist visa does not meet the requirements?

If you have a 1 year extension of stay and a re-entry permit then one needs a ticket out before the 1 year extension of stay expires?

Btw, I hear if traveling to the Philippines they are very strict regarding a ticket out.

If you have a visa of any type or a re-entry permit you do not need a ticket out of the country.

Only for a visa exempt entry do you need a ticket out within 30 days.

This is a truism but Thai immigration don't know or bother about it. It is only the airlines that apply the rule. It seems to be in the order: 1.Qantas. 2.USA. 3 Germany. 4. U.K. and lastly Thailand who couldn't give a damn about the law!

It's quite simple.

If you have a valid visa/entry clearance/residence permit of some kind then you do not need a return or onward ticket.

If you don't have one of these and want to take advantage of the tourist visa exemption then you need a return or onward ticket valid within 30 days.

As already said, if you try and fly to Thailand without one of the above and are refused boarding by the airline; it is your fault.

So don't whinge about it.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

A few days after the nightmare started in Japan 2011. My VISA was good until Oct. 2011. All personal at NRT still very polite despite you could feel the energy of grief. Though over the course of 55 minutes nobody could see where I kept pointing at it. At about the 56 minute point a supervisor without being called came over to me. Inquired. Showed her the VISA stamp, the end. They do it in the USA also starting with that trip. Since the airline easiest for us to fly no longer sells tickets with open return, there is fee to change return date. I always ask in advance to have the fee waived and get agent's name and ID # if they will give it. Tell the ticket agent of the agreement when I change return flight. If they don't give it to me. That is the beauty of the fair credit act. Your credit card company will refund the change fee and depending on the rep. at your credit card company void the entire cost of the trip. Contract law. The airline might even do the same thing. Have had both experiences. You can also buy the cheapest onward ticket. Which ever is easiest. As long as you remain polite, the person can do near anything they want with simple key stroke. Now my fellow humans, you see how many words can be expressed with no vulgarity or negative comments about another person or Country that is just trying also to make it through the day and night. Whatever their customs or psychology. The word supervisor also works magic. Let The Good Times Roll.

• Like 1

My wife visits me often here in Phnom Penh, the past 6 months they have always asked for proof of return ticket, Thai & Bangkok Airways.

So not just foriegn countries, Thailand is doing the same for Thais.

Most foreigners don't need outbound tickets for Cambodia since a visa-on-arrival option, including one that is extendible in-country indefinitely exists - I have flown into Cambodia on one way tickets before without having a visa and was OK. However, Thais receive more scrutiny as they are allowed to stay for 14-days visa free and perhaps might need an onward ticket. If traveling overland this requirement does of course not exist.

Most airlines use handling agents so they are the people who process your check in. Apart from checking in your baggage and passports/boarding passes they also look at visa status.

I travel a lot and use many airlines.

A couple of days ago I routed London Heathrow to Bangkok via Guangzhou. My trip is five weeks via Laos.

I normally have a one year multi entry O for Thailand but for this trip I'm on a 30 day visa free entry to Thailand.

The check in girl spotted this and called the supervisor. A quick check of my two passports with lots of visas and stamps plus my travel plans and a Laos hotel booking before the expiry of the 30 days was enough to convince him. The upshot was a nice trip with an upgrade on the Dreamliner with only 70 passengers on the flight.

• Like 2