Airlines now asking to see tourist visa for visits longer than 3 weeks, WTF?

My dear old mother tried boarding a Qantas flight in Auckland yesterday bound for Bangkok, they turned her away for the reason that 'anyone visiting for longer than 3 weeks needs a tourist visa', huh!

Last time I checked;

1) Visas on arrival for Brits (and 30 other nationalities) get 30 day visas on arrival at Suvarnabhumi, always have without proble

2) It can be extended locally for a further 10 days

3) As long as you have an onward flight for repatriation the immigration aren't fussed since some travellers come and go through Thailand multiple times over several months.

My Mum had planned to stay for 35 days, she's now had to delay 5 days and rearrange flights and hotels, while she waits for a tourist visa in New Zealand, what a bother.

Any comments? Since I plan to take this up with the airline I would really appreciate if other forum members could briefly add their recent experiences of successfully flying to Thailand for stays longer than 30 days, without a tourist or non-imm visa, and name the airline.

Many thanks

Edited by virtualtraveller
  • Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules are that she needs a visa if she intends to stay for longer than 30 days, so the airline was right to refuse. That has been the rule for years.

Some airlines do not check if one has a flight out within 30 days of arrival or a visa, but they are required to do so and can be fined for taking a passenger to Thailand without the proper documentations, like your mother.

She could have bought a one way ticket out of Thailand with a cheap airline and would have been all right.

Are you sure about that?

Wouldn't the airline then want the onward flight ticket for that next country?

It seems to be slowly getting to the point where only a completed round trip will satisfy the airlines unless one has a suitable visa.

Edited by noodle

The rules are that she needs a visa if she intends to stay for longer than 30 days, so the airline was right to refuse. That has been the rule for years.

Some airlines do not check if one has a flight out within 30 days of arrival or a visa, but they are required to do so and can be fined for taking a passenger to Thailand without the proper documentations, like your mother.

She could have bought a one way ticket out of Thailand with a cheap airline and would have been all right.

Are you sure about that?

Wouldn't the airline would then want the onward flight from that country?

It seems to be slowly getting to the point where only a completed round trip will satisfy the airlines unless one has a suitable visa.

Wouldn't the airline would then want the onward flight from that country?

The airline that brought her to Thailand would only be concerned that she had a paid ticket to exit Thailand.

If she attempted to actually use that ticket it might have been a concern to the second airline, but since the ticket would have been bought with no intention of being used, that problem would not arise.

Edited by Suradit69

Are you sure about that?

Wouldn't the airline then want the onward flight ticket for that next country?

Flew to Thailand from London Heathrow with a one way ticket in August 2013. Then one way ticket back September 2013. No visa.

One way ticket again November 2013, with an education visa. Hopefully I'm here to stay this time, so no return flight needed to the UK.

Flew with Thai Airways.

No problems, no questions in the UK or Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I frequently fly one way LAX to BKK on EVA. The ticket agent usually checks the visa in my passport. I have a one year retirement visa. Ocassionally a problem simply because of an ignorant agent. Supervisor comes over, studies it for several minutes, then approves everything.

• Like 1

I've got this sorted for my 'happy days' trip in April. I fly into Penang (total 90-day visa exemption) with my return ticket for a little under 3 months hence, then onto BKK with my el-cheapo Air Asia return flight for ~28 days from my inbound flight. If I want longer, Penang is THE easiest place I know of to get a Tourist Visa - I hand my passport to a guy at a 1-star hotel in Georgetown and he has it for me the following day. Penang rocks, people - fly out, holiday in Thailand or wherever, fly back in and you are 'rewarded' with another 90-day stay.

• Like 2

Similar thing happened to me one time with a flight from Sydney to Bangkok. Jet Star would not let me board that flight because I didn't have an onward flight out of Thailand booked. The checkin girl allowed me stand to the side of the desk and book a flight to Malaysia there and then on my iphone. Showed her the confirmation screen and that was it, carried on as normal :-)

I disagree. If she bought a one way ticket from Thailand to (say) Myanmar, the airline would insist on a visa for Myanmar or a further exit flight.

Noodle, that's a presumption.

The airline is no immigration-office.

If there is a return-ticket or any other outbound-ticket within 30 (or 29) days after arrival, they're off the hook.

If, just IF is it a airliner-duty to check this, then book a ticket to Cambodia , Indonesia (VOA-possibility), Malaysia or Singapore (most nationals don't need a visa here)

• Like 1

Sad for the mum, but a trustworthy story for the "non believers".

Always you will find people telling you that having a ticket over 30 days and no visa is no problem.

I myself had the same experience in 2008 (32 days, a German carrier).

I told them about prolonging/visa run etc.

No excuse, supervisor told me: "I can not intervene, the check-in agent is right".

Had to rebook on site.

Legally/formally they told me: if entry to Thailand is rejected due to missing visa we have to pay 5000 USD in fines and take you back with the same airplane. Yes, I know its that unlikely, but what can you say?

But definitely: if you have some proof of onward travel then the first airline does NOT have to check for the onward visa situation.

(they told me even a proof of overland travel would suffice, but how to get?)

Malaysia (Penang/KL) is cheapest for "throw away oneway tickets" with Air Asia.

"3 weeks" BTW is nonsense or a misunderstanding.

30 days!

Next time: get a visa or stay shorter!

How did you purchase the ticket?

No information/hint?

-> hit them biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

By the way---would it have ben TOOOOOO much for Qantas to have just changed dear old Mum's return ticket to a 30 day or less---I more than sure there would have been a seat available ---But I suppose it's a case of "Computer Say's No" ---i.e can't be bothered--or-- " the rules say " etc. etc. angry.gif

It really is getting this way. I'm finding myself getting wound up before I check inn. I just know I'm going to come across some smart arse. Maybe it's just airports as a whole.

Rant over :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Almost all countries by law require citizens of other countries entering as a tourist, no matter whether they have a tourist visa or have a tourist visa-exemption window, to have a ticket out of that country before the period is up. The issue here appears that Thai Immigration (or a rumour-monger) has put the word out that it has/ is going to/ is thinking about enforcing the law.

The airline is simply covering itself as if your mother was turned away at Bangkok it would have to repatriate her to her starting point at their expense and pay a sustantial fine

The fact that your mother could apply for an extension in order to stay a total of 35 days is irrelevent as it may be refused and the airline has no way of knowing that it would be granted as wouldn't the Immig. official when she first arrived in Thailand.

I had a similar situation at London Gatwick some 10 years back when checking in for Singapore Airlines trip to BKK via Singapore. The check-in clerk wanted to see a return ticket. On involving a supervisor he instructed her to check me in and appologised stating the clerk was "fairly inexperianced". I was on a 365-day extension of stay with an exit re-entry visa. Even so the clerk may well have been correct.

• Like 1

Almost all countries by law require citizens of other countries entering as a tourist, no matter whether they have a tourist visa or have a tourist visa-exemption window, to have a ticket out of that country before the period is up.

This is contrary to many other threads on Thai visa that have no requirements for onward/return travel if you have a visa. True for Visa Exempt, however.

I've got this sorted for my 'happy days' trip in April. I fly into Penang (total 90-day visa exemption) with my return ticket for a little under 3 months hence, then onto BKK with my el-cheapo Air Asia return flight for ~28 days from my inbound flight. If I want longer, Penang is THE easiest place I know of to get a Tourist Visa - I hand my passport to a guy at a 1-star hotel in Georgetown and he has it for me the following day. Penang rocks, people - fly out, holiday in Thailand or wherever, fly back in and you are 'rewarded' with another 90-day stay.

That trip is coming up for me on 28 April. What hotel was it that you stayed in Georgetown? Is there a name of an agency, or do I just ask the front desk for assistance with my visa? How much does the guy charge to run your visa through? I imagine the single entry is 1000 baht..plus the agents charge. Any additional requirements beyond photos, application, money, passport? Thanks for the info....in advance.

Almost all countries by law require citizens of other countries entering as a tourist, no matter whether they have a tourist visa or have a tourist visa-exemption window, to have a ticket out of that country before the period is up.

This is contrary to many other threads on Thai visa that have no requirements for onward/return travel if you have a visa. True for Visa Exempt, however.

Indeed, only without a visa or with a visa on arrival do you need a ticket out of the country.

Almost all countries by law require citizens of other countries entering as a tourist, no matter whether they have a tourist visa or have a tourist visa-exemption window, to have a ticket out of that country before the period is up. The issue here appears that Thai Immigration (or a rumour-monger) has put the word out that it has/ is going to/ is thinking about enforcing the law.

The airline is simply covering itself as if your mother was turned away at Bangkok it would have to repatriate her to her starting point at their expense and pay a sustantial fine

The fact that your mother could apply for an extension in order to stay a total of 35 days is irrelevent as it may be refused and the airline has no way of knowing that it would be granted as wouldn't the Immig. official when she first arrived in Thailand.

I had a similar situation at London Gatwick some 10 years back when checking in for Singapore Airlines trip to BKK via Singapore. The check-in clerk wanted to see a return ticket. On involving a supervisor he instructed her to check me in and appologised stating the clerk was "fairly inexperianced". I was on a 365-day extension of stay with an exit re-entry visa. Even so the clerk may well have been correct.

Where do you think all this rubbish up this is totally incorrect, laughable

Edited by MikeandDow

Sad for the mum, but a trustworthy story for the "non believers".

Always you will find people telling you that having a ticket over 30 days and no visa is no problem.

I myself had the same experience in 2008 (32 days, a German carrier).

I told them about prolonging/visa run etc.

No excuse, supervisor told me: "I can not intervene, the check-in agent is right".

Had to rebook on site.

Legally/formally they told me: if entry to Thailand is rejected due to missing visa we have to pay 5000 USD in fines and take you back with the same airplane. Yes, I know its that unlikely, but what can you say?

But definitely: if you have some proof of onward travel then the first airline does NOT have to check for the onward visa situation.

(they told me even a proof of overland travel would suffice, but how to get?)

Malaysia (Penang/KL) is cheapest for "throw away oneway tickets" with Air Asia.

"3 weeks" BTW is nonsense or a misunderstanding.

30 days!

Next time: get a visa or stay shorter!

How did you purchase the ticket?

No information/hint?

-> hit them biggrin.png

Not necessarily true. Phnom Penh can be 1,000 baht cheaper for a one way ticket (I just randomly checked 20th March). 2,600 (plus extras) to KL and 1,600 (plus extras to PP. If you had to buy a Cambodian visa that difference would be eliminated.

Pays to shop around.

I met a Dutch woman who also had difficulties departing from New Zealand to Bangkok, this time on China Southern Airlines. BTW Qantas doesn't fly directly from NZ to Bangkok, all flights are via Sydney.

She had to book a one way flight to Siem Reap despite having an outbound ticket from Bangkok booked for a date 2-3 months in advance. Now I know that you're supposed to have proof of outbound departure within 30 days without a visa but it seems some airlines (and countries for that matter) are particularly strict about this, while others are more flexible.

Often credit cards and/or sufficient cash, travellers cheques etc. can be shown in lieu of the onward ticket requirement.

I've noticed in my case when departing from Australia they are actually becoming less strict than they used to be some years ago. I almost always have a return ticket, but it's usually a 6 or 12-month return and I generally don't have a Thai visa in my passport when first departing, although I often do have flights booked to at least one other destination from BKK, usually within 30 days so obviously I am OK in such cases, but in one case a Thai check-in clerk at the Thai Airways counter (I would never fly Qantas to BKK btw I only fly THAI) asked if I had a visa - I said yes, but she didn't check it (indeed I did have a tourist visa at the time) and I was good to go (this was with a 12-month return ticket).

Flew from Vancouver -Bkk in September with Eastern China Airlines. I have a triple entry visa. Ticket agent was trying very hard not to let me on the flight.My triple entry is good thru April ,that is also when my flight leaves. She was not very nice to say the least.What happens if a person has a return ticket and only wants to use Bkk as a starting point and wants to go visit neighbouring countries? I will never fly Eastern China air again

2 weeks ago I flew back to the UK for a family funeral. I did not book a return ticket since I wasn't sure how long it would take to sort out lawyer matters etc.

A few days later, I bought a single ticket back to BKK with EgyptAir via Cairo, (the oinly cheap ticket that I could find).

I checked in at Heathrow using the self-service machines and got my boarding card.

When I presented my boarding card at the departure loiunge, I was told that I would be denied boarding because I didn't have a visa to enter the country. (I was entering on a VoA because it was my intention to travel onto Myanmar a week or so later for my job, but I had no documents on me to demonstrate this).

It took a long discussion with the supervisor and showing of my BKK bank passbook, ATM card, birth certificate of my Thai son, business cards etc etc, before they finally relented and allowed me to board.

I am not sure why caused these problems for me, since British citizens are allowed VoA entry into Thailand.

But it certainly scared the poo out of me! - almost being denied to fly back to a country where I have lived since 2002 and have family and business.

Moral of the story ==> don't fly with EgyptAir (maybe...). Make sure you have a cheap onward ticket from Thailand, even if you live in the country...

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

2 weeks ago I flew back to the UK for a family funeral. I did not book a return ticket since I wasn't sure how long it would take to sort out lawyer matters etc.

A few days later, I bought a single ticket back to BKK with EgyptAir via Cairo, (the oinly cheap ticket that I could find).

I checked in at Heathrow using the self-service machines and got my boarding card.

When I presented my boarding card at the departure loiunge, I was told that I would be denied boarding because I didn't have a visa to enter the country. (I was entering on a VoA because it was my intention to travel onto Myanmar a week or so later for my job, but I had no documents on me to demonstrate this).

It took a long discussion with the supervisor and showing of my BKK bank passbook, ATM card, birth certificate of my Thai son, business cards etc etc, before they finally relented and allowed me to board.

I am not sure why caused these problems for me, since British citizens are allowed VoA entry into Thailand.

But it certainly scared the poo out of me! - almost being denied to fly back to a country where I have lived since 2002 and have family and business.

Moral of the story ==> don't fly with EgyptAir (maybe...). Make sure you have a cheap onward ticket from Thailand, even if you live in the country...

Moral of the story is have the correct VISA

• Like 1