Airlines now asking to see tourist visa for visits longer than 3 weeks, WTF?

2 weeks ago I flew back to the UK for a family funeral. I did not book a return ticket since I wasn't sure how long it would take to sort out lawyer matters etc.

A few days later, I bought a single ticket back to BKK with EgyptAir via Cairo, (the oinly cheap ticket that I could find).

I checked in at Heathrow using the self-service machines and got my boarding card.

When I presented my boarding card at the departure loiunge, I was told that I would be denied boarding because I didn't have a visa to enter the country. (I was entering on a VoA because it was my intention to travel onto Myanmar a week or so later for my job, but I had no documents on me to demonstrate this).

It took a long discussion with the supervisor and showing of my BKK bank passbook, ATM card, birth certificate of my Thai son, business cards etc etc, before they finally relented and allowed me to board.

I am not sure why caused these problems for me, since British citizens are allowed VoA entry into Thailand.

But it certainly scared the poo out of me! - almost being denied to fly back to a country where I have lived since 2002 and have family and business.

Moral of the story ==> don't fly with EgyptAir (maybe...). Make sure you have a cheap onward ticket from Thailand, even if you live in the country...

You do not get VOA's you get visa exempt entries.

If you don have a visa you need a ticket out of the country within 30 days.That has been rule for as long as visa exempt entries have been allowed.

It has been discussed on many topics on this forum.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was aware that tourists who visit Thailand for their holiday need an outward bound ticket, but I wasn't aware that it also applied to foreigners who live in the country for over a decade :). However, the boarding agent was not to know that, since I was travelling on a relatively new passport with few visa stamps (mostly for Myanmar).

It was unfortunate that I wasn't returning on a non-imm B visa, but my firm intention (at that time), was to travel onto Myanmar. (I had already bought my plane ticket to Myanmar a week before, but the funeral in the UK meant that I was unable to fly - had not yet bought a new ticket).

Yes, visa-exempt, not VoA, my apologies.

Simon

• Like 1

I was aware that tourists who visit Thailand for their holiday need an outward bound ticket, but I wasn't aware that it also applied to foreigners who live in the country for over a decade smile.png. However, the boarding agent was not to know that, since I was travelling on a relatively new passport with few visa stamps (mostly for Myanmar).

It was unfortunate that I wasn't returning on a non-imm B visa, but my firm intention (at that time), was to travel onto Myanmar. (I had already bought my plane ticket to Myanmar a week before, but the funeral in the UK meant that I was unable to fly - had not yet bought a new ticket).

Yes, visa-exempt, not VoA, my apologies.

Simon

It does not matter How long you have lived her unless you have PR or Thai passport you need correct visa or ticket out

" Now I know that you're supposed to have proof of outbound departure within 30 days without a visa but it seems some airlines (and countries for that matter) are particularly strict about this, while others are more flexible."

Shouldn't that be 'some airlines follow the rules and others are lax'?

• Like 1

Visa requirements relate to what passport you hold not whether you are tourist or a long stay. If you are uk passport holder and you want 30 day on arrival stamp you need a onward ticket within that 30 day period. Going overland on the train to malaysia doesnt qualify fo 30 days on arrival. If you want exit overland you need tourist visa. Only flights out of the country count for 30 days on arrival.

If you don't meet these requirements the airline can deny you boarding and its your own fault. If the airline lets you fly they are running the risk of a big fine If thai immigration decide to enforce the rules. This is what Egypt Air did with Simon, run the risk of USD5000? fine if thai immigration checked and enforced the rules.

It's your call whether you meet the entry requirements (onward ticket, visa for entry with one way ticket etc). If you do this this you have a stress free check-in. If you want to gamble and not have the onward ticket, visa etc be aware that in UK, Western Europe ,NZ they will follow the rules to letter. Flying in from a neighboring country they may not.

The big bosses of thai immigration know that they can collect thousands of dollars of fines anytime they like or want just by applying the rules. If you happen to be flying the the day after one of these crackdowns you will be denied boarding if you don't meet the entry requirements.

Almost all countries by law require citizens of other countries entering as a tourist, no matter whether they have a tourist visa or have a tourist visa-exemption window, to have a ticket out of that country before the period is up........

Where do you think all this rubbish up this is totally incorrect, laughable

It's not rubbish.

For example, if entering the UK as a visitor, whether you are a visa national or not, Immigration can ask to see that you have either a return/onward ticket or the means with which to purchase one. If you cannot show either they can, and usually will, refuse entry.

As has been said by many; for visa exempt entry to Thailand the passenger needs to have a return or onward ticket for travel out of Thailand within that 30 days.

In 13 years, no one at Thai immigration has ever checked to see if I have; maybe because they know the airline is unlikely to have carried me without one.

As also said, if an airline knowingly carries a passenger to any country who does not have a valid visa or otherwise meet the entry criteria for that country, then the airline can be fined up to, I believe, 10,000USD per passenger and has to bear the cost of returning the passenger from whence they came.

For Thailand, this is true no matter how many years the passenger may have been using visa runs to live there.

Wherever you are going, if you need a visa for your length of stay; get one.

If you are allowed VoA or are visa exempt, make sure that you know and comply with the conditions of same.

In the OP's mother's case, the airline were perfectly within their rights to protect themselves from a possible large fine and the costs of returning her to her departure point by not carrying her.

She should have either got a return flight within the 30 days, or if she wanted to stay longer than this obtained the appropriate visa.

It is the traveller's responsibility to ensure that they know the entry requirements for their destination and obtain all the necessary paperwork, visas etc. before travelling.

Edited by 7by7

This kind of thread happens on Thai Visa so often, that I suspect that enforecement of rules by airlines are comparable to enforcement of Visa Rules by Thai consulates at different locations. They can ask for additional proof (such as onward/return) tickets. It does happen. Perhaps not uniformly...but it happens enough. Perhaps due to suspicious/untrained staff. I have completed several dozen international flights... Most of the problems are when you fly out of your home country without a return ticket/especially no visa. Even with a visa/permanent residency in the Philippines...I was stopped by Delta, flying out of Seattle. I bought a round trip from Thailand but reside in the Philippines (before). I present my Philippine Immigration card. Thailand has no equivalent of that...as it is a permanent status. That is enough to board one way. (also had travel Bangkok to Philippines and back....but not back to the USA). The point is...you do get stopped and questioned.....not denied. I never have been denied. OK, I was denied in the Philippines when I flew in one time before I had an onward/return ticket....and had to run up and buy my a ticket out to Japan (years ago when I was stationed in Japan).

Like I said before.....if you have been having problems....buy a cheap ticket that can be refunded (use a credit card) and just cancel the damn thing after you get in country. Airlines probably know you can do this...so I wonder why they are so cautious with people have proper income, credit cards, history of travel...etc.

Thanks, she had an onward ticket but it was with another airline so they couldn't change it. Seems petty, and in 10 years travelling here I've never heard of an airline enforcing this. I suppose a different person might have successfuly argued. Unless there is suddenly some strict enforcement by Thai immigration, seems an inexperienced check in clerk was being unreasonable. For goodnessake, if she lands and they don't want to give her a 30 day, there's always the Qatar airline counter to rebook the ticket or put her on the next flight to London.

Sorry, though Qantas might be right in asserting this, it's a case of being inflexible, and few other airlines do this. It's consistent with my poor impression of their customer services. Pity Emirates have a codeshare with them, I would never willingly have booked that airline, never will in the future either.

• Like 1

Some are more flexible than others, but without the proper documents you always run a risk.

Airlines overbook their flights as a number of passengers will not show up. If more passengers check-in than expected, guess who they will deny boarding: the people without the right papers. Simply because they don't have to compensate them.

• Like 2

Thanks, she had an onward ticket but it was with another airline so they couldn't change it. Seems petty, and in 10 years travelling here I've never heard of an airline enforcing this. I suppose a different person might have successfuly argued. Unless there is suddenly some strict enforcement by Thai immigration, seems an inexperienced check in clerk was being unreasonable. For goodnessake, if she lands and they don't want to give her a 30 day, there's always the Qatar airline counter to rebook the ticket or put her on the next flight to London.

Sorry, though Qantas might be right in asserting this, it's a case of being inflexible, and few other airlines do this. It's consistent with my poor impression of their customer services. Pity Emirates have a codeshare with them, I would never willingly have booked that airline, never will in the future either.

Next time book with THAI. Not only do they fly non-stop from Auckland to Bangkok (unlike Qantas, who only fly from Sydney and who knows with their financial situation and upcoming route cutbacks maybe they will even stop flying to Bangkok altogether, I wouldn't be surprised if they did...even if it would be a first for an airline that has served BKK since the 1950s but if car makers can pull out of Australia after decades of manufacturing, then I believe anything is possible in Australia or involving Australian companies) but THAI also serve all neighboring countries and if you book a connecting flight through them routed via Bangkok, you'll save a considerable amount of money compared to booking separate flights with different carriers and the onward flight requirement can be met too.

For example, you could book say London-Bkk-Auckland and then Auckland-Bkk-Pnh (one way) and then Bkk-London. In the latter case, I'm making the assumption that the traveller would be spending some time in Thailand and/or the rest of SEA but wants flexibility with travel arrangements.

The other option is just to get a 60-day tourist visa and all of this becomes irrelevant. Still, THAI is the best airline to fly and tend to be more flexible than the other carriers, not to mention their far superior route network, choice of flights, star alliance partnership and service.

Sometimes when airlines are overbooked, they become petty minded in order to find valid excuses to turn people away.

That may have been the case here.

This gets my vote. Or if not overbooked but many standby passengers waiting, deny boarding to the person with a one way ticket and sell the same seat twice. Cynical? Not by half, some airlines have many tricks up their sleeves...

Yes technically airlines are on the hook to return a passenger at their expense but how many times have readers been asked for proof of onward travel by Immigration? Yeah, I know at TV millions cheesy.gif

• Like 1

It's about the airlines ripping us up as well. I met this guy in bk who'd flown from NZ to Singapore going round the world, and in NZ they told him no boarding without an onward ticket, and absolutely insisted that ticket be back to his home country (which was Germany), and sold him a non-refundable ticket on the spot.

When you buy a ticket with airasia, after purchase a window comes up saying you must have both a visa and an onward ticket. They probably won't ask the see the ticket if you have the visa but they're covering their A** so they can deny you if it's either full or they want to force you into a full price purchase of another ticket at the airport.

Someone should do a start up, a travel agent where you buy an airticket which is fully legit, but if not reconfirmed online within two weeks, automatically refunds minus twenty bucks. People would use it for onward ticket requirements. Printed tickets would be bearing airline logos and official (with a flight code, status OK). Yeah, let's do that. Write a plan, put it on kickstarter.

You in?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's about the airlines ripping us up as well. I met this guy in bk who'd flown from NZ to Singapore going round the world, and in NZ they told him no boarding without an onward ticket, and absolutely insisted that ticket be back to his home country (which was Germany), and sold him a non-refundable ticket on the spot.

When you buy a ticket with airasia, after purchase a window comes up saying you must have both a visa and an onward ticket. They probably won't ask the see the ticket if you have the visa but they're covering their A** so they can deny you if it's either full or they want to force you into a full price purchase of another ticket at the airport.

Someone should do a start up, a travel agent where you buy an airticket which is fully legit, but if not reconfirmed online within two weeks, automatically refunds minus twenty bucks. People would use it for onward ticket requirements. Printed tickets would be bearing airline logos and official (with a flight code, status OK). Yeah, let's do that. Write a plan, put it on kickstarter.

You in?

A "round the World" ticket will eventually ensure a person is returned home and there will be no difficulties with the airline(S).

Suspect the anecdote relates to a person purchasing multiple cheap one way tickets in order to travel place to place.

It is however important that one holds the correct visas/ abides by immigration rules for the countries to be visited.

Poor research is no excuse for bad mouthing airlines when it all goes wrong as a result of personal failure.

The IATA web site is available to anyone!

Edited by olddoc
  • Like 1

Wait till they start vigorously enforcing this rule at Manchester or Heathrow. There'll be howls of protest on this forum then.

There have already been some.

Most airlines out of the UK do check, and have done so for many years. The 10,000USD fine for knowingly carrying a passenger who does not meet the entry requirements for their destination applies to all airlines and all departure points and destinations (except domestic flights, of course).

Which is why my wife always presents her Thai passport to check in at LHR when flying UK to Thailand; as all other dual Thai/British nationals should to show that as they are Thai nationals there is no restriction on their entry to and time spent in Thailand.

As already said; UK immigration can, and do, refuse entry to visitors who do not have a valid return/onward ticket dated within the 6 months maximum stay allowed for visitors or the means with which to purchase one.

People may take a chance, and may get away with it. But if they do not meet the entry requirements for their destination and the airline refuses to carry them that is their fault; not the airline's.

Why should the airline risk a large fine because a passenger can't be arsed to get the correct visa?

• Like 1

You in?

No need for that - you can already book tickets with airlines such as THAI provided you book for a date more than 1 week ahead and not pay a cent. You simply select the "pay later at city office" option and then if the ticket isn't paid for within 72 hours, the system automatically cancels it. Using a print out of that itinerary, you'll get on the plane. I've done it before and so have friends and it always works because it's a legitimate ticket only you haven't paid for it.

• Like 1

I flew from Heathrow to BKK about six weeks ago. Having read so many contradictory stories on this and similar threads, I thought I would ask the supervisor. I had already checked in for my flight with a one way ticket and no onward ticket and had not been asked to show one. The supervisor said yes, anyone travelling to Thailand without permission to stay, would need a return or onward ticket. I have a retirement extension, so can stay in Thailand indefinitely.

So, I asked this (which is relevant to those who crew for me): What if that person was in Thailand for a week or so and then sailing From Phuket to Langkawi and had no return ticket. The supervisor said she would need to see the ticket for that trip! I said, there would be no ticket, it is just a private yacht. Then she said "Well, where would he go next" and I said that he would fly from KL to Sydney. She said "Well, I would want to see a ticket for that journey."

When I arrived in BKK I asked the immigration officer if a visitor required an onward or a return ticket. He said he had never heard of that requirement and was only interested in fining the tourist who overstayed. I had passed straight through immigration with no delay as there were no queues, so I had 15 minutes to wait until my luggage arrived on the belt and I thought I'll go and ask the boss. I put the question to him a few different ways in my best Thai and he had no idea what I was talking about. Then we tried in English and got no further. Back into Thai and he said emphatically that there was no such law, that he had ever heard of!

So, as I have said before this may be one of the 40,000 rules, laws, directives and orders in Thailand that are not upheld, nor applied or are contradicted by other laws.

The airlines are only doing their job as they have been instructed according to the IATA rules, (which may need to be updated as Thailand are clearly not following the rule anymore). I have never been asked for a return ticket in over 200 trips to Thailand on a one way ticket over the last 30 years but it is always best to check with the airline first.

• Like 1

From the Royal Thai Embassy, London.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

• Like 1

You in?

No need for that - you can already book tickets with airlines such as THAI provided you book for a date more than 1 week ahead and not pay a cent. You simply select the "pay later at city office" option and then if the ticket isn't paid for within 72 hours, the system automatically cancels it. Using a print out of that itinerary, you'll get on the plane. I've done it before and so have friends and it always works because it's a legitimate ticket only you haven't paid for it.

Qantas has a similar option--but want a deposit---which you don't get back-- if you don't complete the booking by the required time -

Don't know about Thai or other airlines--but I would have thought that would be similar ???

I've got this sorted for my 'happy days' trip in April. I fly into Penang (total 90-day visa exemption) with my return ticket for a little under 3 months hence, then onto BKK with my el-cheapo Air Asia return flight for ~28 days from my inbound flight. If I want longer, Penang is THE easiest place I know of to get a Tourist Visa - I hand my passport to a guy at a 1-star hotel in Georgetown and he has it for me the following day. Penang rocks, people - fly out, holiday in Thailand or wherever, fly back in and you are 'rewarded' with another 90-day stay.

That trip is coming up for me on 28 April. What hotel was it that you stayed in Georgetown? Is there a name of an agency, or do I just ask the front desk for assistance with my visa? How much does the guy charge to run your visa through? I imagine the single entry is 1000 baht..plus the agents charge. Any additional requirements beyond photos, application, money, passport? Thanks for the info....in advance.

FWIR, there are no shortage of 'visa agents' operating out of many of the hotels in Georgetown - I'm not going to name the hotel in question for fear that there will be a crackdown (granted, a very slim chance of that happening), but you'll know it's a one-star hotel within seconds of seeing the place. Just ask at the front desk of any of the dodgier hotels in downtown Georgetown - I guarantee that you'll find what you need. I cant give you the current fee in MYR, but it was very reasonable (from memory, ~100MYR, which I consider reasonable given that I didn't have to hang around the Consulate) - you need to give him your passport and your passport photos per the online visa form. He just wrote my details down in a notebook and told me to meet him the next day at 1pm in the foyer.

For some people I expect the whole idea of handing your passport to an anonymous guy in a dodgy hotel must seem like madness, and others have raised the possibility of all manner of scams from identity theft to fake tourist visas : if you are even remotely concerned, don't take that chance. I just know how tedious it is standing in those bloody lines when I don't have to, and I can only imagine that they've grown longer since I was last in Penang. Then again, if Suthep keeps dragging Thailand's tourism industry down, they may well have grown shorter ;)

From the Royal Thai Embassy, London.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

Neither of which are applied in practice on entering Thailand.

• Like 1

I had the same issue, I just got them to change my return flight date then when in Thailand I rescheduled for the later date. Thai airways does it free, most will depending on the ticket. Thai airways have always looked after me with changing dates. I even missed a flight once and they re booked me free.

I have been coming to Thailand every winter for the last 8 years, I book a 3 month return ticket with China Airlines, birmingham/ amsterdam/bangkok, never had a visa, never been questioned or stopped.

After 1 month I always visit Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam and then back to Thailand. Never had a problem.

• Like 1

Hmm. This never happens in the US. My trips to Thailand regularly go 5-6 weeks, and I've never had this issue come up. When I used to live in Thailand, and would sometimes fly from the US on a one-way ticket, I got questioned a couple times (on the US end), but luckily I always fly Asian-based airlines, so the young and cute check-in staff were easily charmed, heheh...

• Like 1

To Hell with Qantas. They need educating. And besides, I mostly have return dates for several months ahead of the arrival date. For example, with my current ticket, I arrived Bangkok January 11, and return is for May 17. At immigration when the officer looked through my passport, seeing the many stamps for Thailand and neighbouring countries, she simply asked how long I was staying this time. I said "Four weeks". I had already filled in the departure card (issued on the plane) showing that I was leaving Thailand by train, even filling in the vehicle number.

Do you hear me Quantas? .... by train!

Another circumstance can be that I will not even have a return ticket, but flying on to another country. I am always prepared to verify my plans with diary entries and schedule printouts. Further, because I never fail to present smartly at immigration, and am well prepared, I never have problems.

Immigration are only interested in knowing that you will leave the country by the required time. Whether you fly, go by train, drive or ride a bicycle, they don't care, just as long as you stamp out in time. And it really helps to keep your passport 'clean' and free of any issues such as 'overstay'.

• Like 1