Saveing files on Disk C

chiangrai

Depends on the Operating System.

According to Microsoft you should keep at least 20% for various functions like defragging, installing updates, print and system temp files. The general rule is 10% Free Space (defragged) to allow for system temp, print, unpack and defrag to run.

But if you have a Terabyte Drive then using percentage as a calculation would be pretty stupid.

If Windows 7 OS requires 20GB to install, then 16-18GB should be reserved as Free Space.

Oh, if you use any image or video editors they also need space for temporary swap files somewhere.

My preference is have a 100GB partition for OS (OS/Programs/Pagefile/+20GB FreeSpace) for easy backup/recovery and the balance of the drive allocated to additional partitions so if I ever have to go nuclear I can recover pretty quickly.

So, 16-18GB Free Space should do you.

Thanks Richcor,

I have windows 7 with 233gb on Disk C and about the same on Disk D.

I believe you can move the dividing bar between the disk,this probably wouldn't make

a difference with speed but would make things simpler.

Does anyone have have any idea on how to do this.I would search widows seven forum but I don't know the terminology I'm looking for

That would depend on which "disk" your operating system is on. But regardless, the fuller and more defragmented your hard drives become, the slower the access time becomes. It also depends on what type of hard drive you're using; SSD's are not intended to be defragmented. And it sounds like you're probably using a Windows OS, which is your biggest problem.

Edited by khunron13

Buy external 4 Terabyte drive. As long as Thai Internet speeds remain what they are, you're set for life.

I've got 15 of these things (but I'm in Korea now) and they're all full, your mileage may vary.

Personally, I don't like having a C and D drive partition setup...like where you keep your operating system & programs on C drive partition and your data on D drive partition. Instead, I just have one partition (C:) and I create a folder named "Mydata" that I store all my data files there under in subfolders. Effectively this provides the same thing as a D drive partition (i.e., separation of your programs and data to help you find/backup your data files easier) and makes images and backups a little easier/more straight forward. Plus, it don't put you in the situation of needing to expand or shrink a partition due to more or less space needs in the other partition. Additionally, when your hard drive fails it usually nukes all your partitions so having a C and D drive partitions (or more) is really nothing more than creating a kind of folder setup. For the typical home computer with only one hard drive, I think the use of partitions is really overrated and maybe more confusing. But if you got several people using a computer and storing data maybe having a partition for each person to safe their data is more understandable to them. To each his own.

Edited by Pib

Thanks Richcor,

I believe you can move the dividing bar between the disk,this probably wouldn't make

Does anyone have have any idea on how to do this.I would search widows seven forum but I don't know the terminology I'm looking for

I've been using the EaseUS partition master free version with success on several computers :

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Thanks Richcor,

I've been using the EaseUS partition master free version with success on several computers :

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Sorry to digress, but great avatar (Irish/Red setters are wonderful dogs)

Assuming that your system (OS) is on partition C: and your data is on partition D:, then copy everything on D: to an external drive and delete D:. After that expand partition C: to occupy the space freed up on the drive. In Windows 7, you would use Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage (Disk Management.). There are a few "gotchas: when doing this. Your C: partition must be on the left and your D: partition on the right. You can expand a partition up (to the right but you can't expand a partition down (to the left.). Also, don't touch the System Reserved partition. It should be all the way to the left. A safer way to do this would be to buy a new 1TB drive, take your machine into a shop and let the technician image your C: partition, then put it on the new drive which should be formatted as only one large partition. Then create a folder named "Data" on the new drive and have gone technician copy the contents of D: to that folder. Good luck.

Or use the EasUS Partition Master recommended by userabcd to resize the partitions. Easier. But the best choice might be the new 1TB drive. They're quite cheap now and by switching to it you would avoid any space problems for quite a while and you'd have longer drive life. It isn't a question of whether a hard drive will fail - it's a matter of when.

Or use the EasUS Partition Master recommended by userabcd to resize the partitions. Easier. But the best choice might be the new 1TB drive. They're quite cheap now and by switching to it you would avoid any space problems for quite a while and you'd have longer drive life. It isn't a question of whether a hard drive will fail - it's a matter of when.

I do wonder about "It isn't a question of whether a hard drive will fail - it's a matter of when"

because of this always had smaller hard drives.. present PC have 2 x 1TB, 3x 640 GB.. [1x 1TB is 3 months old, sticker on one of the older ones warranty ended July 2006] to have just 1 x 3 or 4 TB hard drive worry about when it fails

Rebuild my PC every 2-3 years, and buy another hard drive just encase

Use a docking station for the real old IEE hard drives, the very old small one not used any more, but have a number of 200 - 300 GB ones some of these are 15 + years old..

Do hard drive still fail ?

my Sony Laptop is 11 years old, the Acer is 6 years old both still have the same hard drives

Great link from MKAsok! There are some complications, though, when expanding volumes. It's best to have backup system images in case anything goes wrong. Personally, I have not been able to expand volumes into unallocated space before the volume but have successfully expanded into unallocated space after the volume.

I can assure you that Acronis back up and restore is one of the best tools I've ever seen.

Back your drive(s) up ad if something goes wrong you'll get all data back in a few minutes, included a functioning system.

Win 8.1 comes with a pretty nice & super easy to use Image backup and Files backup function now...I really like the Files History backup function where you can reload any file data backup based on backup date...like reload a 1 Jan 14 version of a file versus the latest backup version. I think it should meet the backup needs of the masses "if they would only use it and take 15 minutes in learning how." But like one Microsoft article I read they estimate only around approx 5% of folks do any type of partial backup or complete Image backup.

Easeus is free and gets the repartitioning job done safely and comfortably, as others have said already. I bought Acronis too, it's really worth the money.

A few more tips:

Best not to use the same physical drive for operating system and downloads/torrents. I found that especially torrents put a lot of stress on the hardware (lots of writing/reading tiny data chunks) which could wear out the drive faster. In fact, get a small SSD for your Windows (64 or 128 GB), migrate, and wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

Keep at least 3 backups of your Windows partition, in case that the last one is bad. Nothing more frustrating than overwriting a good backup with one of a corrupted Windows where you've just not noticed yet...

Oh, and buy external drives - think TB, not GB - use the more expensive ones for storage, not active downloading. And don't be shy to claim warranty from Seagate, their policy is usually good. I had 4 drives break during their old 5 (now 3) year warranty, all replaced within a week. Since the older models were obsolete, I got for example refurbished 2 TB for a broken 750 GB... Fair trade.

Thanks all,

I'm working this weekend and will start on monday.

I hope the thread will not be dead in case I need some help.

I'm just going to take out the partition to save time moving files.

I won't forget to put everything on a external HDD in case anything goes wrong

Many thanks to Massok,

I did the job today,no hitched,removed the divide between disk C and D,expanded disk c to the full hard drive and reinstalled what was erased from disk d and that was that.

Started my half downloaded torrents again,nothing was affected.

Now no more waiting when I transfer from one disk to another.

Another step on my crusade to de-microsoft my windows.

Internet explorer,Microsoft office,windows photo viewer,windows media player,libraries are all dead or on the execution list.

Thanks to all who helped.