Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

Utter rubbish! A number of foreigners are given Thai citizenship every year. On this board I can think of members such as Dbren and NewlyMintedThai. I will apply in a couple of years when I meet the visa-extension requirements for my application.

It is you who knows nothing - check the facts about citizenship applictions/requirements

Edit: AFAIK, Sehgal is not a hilltribe ethnic minority - he is an Indian citizen and some of his compatriates apply for and are awarded Thai citizenship each year.

Simon

I have been led to believe that to gain Thai citizenship you have to be able to read and write Thai and be able to answer written questions in Thai about Thai history, geography and culture, even if you were born here (to foreign national parents).

Does that fit your definition of "easy"?

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

What visa does he have? ED?

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

Edit: I note that the original article says he has a residency permit ==> PR

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

There are other indigenous "minority" groups in Thailand who have lived here for generations ... some longer that the Thai-Chinese clans who run the country ... who are denied "citizenship".

Rogerdee123, you obviously no nothing about Thai Citizenship. I have a lot of friends, British, Swiss, Dutch, Danish for instance who now have Thai Nationality and hold Thai passports. If you have lived here 5 years, have a reasonable grasp of the Thai Language and can show that you pay tax(such as withholding tax on investments) you can start the process to get a Thai passport which may take another 2-3 years.

Yes!!

You do not have to be fluent in written Thai. You need to be able to read basic Thai and answer some easy questions in Thai about the country in which you want citizenship.

I have been here only 12 years and can read/write good Thai. I am sure that Sehgal is fluent in Thai. It has been his choice not to apply for Thai citizenship and his choice to protest against a democratically-elected government when he must have known the possible consequences of his illegal actions, (yes illegal, because foreigners are not allowed to involve themselves in political demonstrations).

Simon

• Like 1

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Conclusive proof that Thailand's visa rules are too lax and should include an IQ test prior to be given a visa...whistling.gif

should include an IQ test prior to be given a visa..

That would sound the death knell for Thai Visa membership following a brief spike in incoherent posts about "nails in coffins."

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

There are other indigenous "minority" groups in Thailand who have lived here for generations ... some longer that the Thai-Chinese clans who run the country ... who are denied "citizenship".

Rogerdee123, you obviously no nothing about Thai Citizenship. I have a lot of friends, British, Swiss, Dutch, Danish for instance who now have Thai Nationality and hold Thai passports. If you have lived here 5 years, have a reasonable grasp of the Thai Language and can show that you pay tax(such as withholding tax on investments) you can start the process to get a Thai passport which may take another 2-3 years.

Really? Tell me how many (lots?) have Thai Passports who are not originally ethnic Thai.

Even the million dollar elite club doesn't provide Thai Citizenship.

Immigration Commission has voted to cancel the residency permit .... The panel had earlier resolved that he had not committed any wrongdoing that would warrant deportation, the source noted."

So, clearly no political pressure from the caretaker-government there then, on the panel or Commission ? wink.png

By law the prime minister has the authority to endorse such a decision but the PM has delegated that power to Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is now in charge of the government's Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order, according to the source.

"Quick, bring me a bowl of water, I need to wash my hands, urgently !" rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

This guy is an absolute idiot with no common sense. The quicker he gets out the better

dont let the door hit you on the way out, sehgal

Moo, there you go again, anything anti-government and you're opposed to it, regardless of the circumstances...!!

You speak as if you know the guy ... "This guy is an absolute idiot with no common sense" ... but you obviously don't; and indeed, you are proving yourself to be the real "absolute idiot" on this forum.

He has made enormous contributions to Thai-Indian business relations, and as soon as these clowns are kicked out of office, any potential threat of deportation will simply fade away...!!

• Like 2

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

It's a shame he, as a foreigner, considered Thailand "his own" (according to you, anyway) when he quite clearly was making an incorrect assumption. Maybe he should have looked in a mirror before he joined the leaders of the protests.

Simon

It is pretty clear that it is you who hasn't got the faintest.

I know about a half dozen people of European descent who have naturalised as Thai citizens. Had dinner with one the other night. Another bloke at the dinner table was in the final stages of getting his application in. Had coffee with another last Thursday who is preparing his paperwork Nothing special about them, apart from meeting the basic residency and income requirements. Another half dozen, purely of anglo descent who were born in Thailand and by virtue of being born prior to 1971, have Thai nationality.

My wife is at the final step of the naturalisation process (blond haired, blue eyed) and if it wasn't for this government shut down, she'd be having her papers signed shortly. We had the immigration committee meeting interview at the ministry of interior just last November, just before these troubles started.

Check out the immigration forum, a few farangs every year get natualised,in addition to a few dozen (mainly) indian and chinese.

The laws in terms of ethnic minorites have been significantly liberalised, espcially in 2010 as I recall. The 2010 version of the law allows anyone born on Thai soil between 1971 and 1992 claim citizenship so long as they've shown a continous link to Thailand. Prior to 1971 it was automatic.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Yes!!

You do not have to be fluent in written Thai. You need to be able to read basic Thai and answer some easy questions in Thai about the country in which you want citizenship.

I have been here only 12 years and can read/write good Thai. I am sure that Sehgal is fluent in Thai. It has been his choice not to apply for Thai citizenship and his choice to protest against a democratically-elected government when he must have known the possible consequences of his illegal actions, (yes illegal, because foreigners are not allowed to involve themselves in political demonstrations).

Simon

Im certain Senghi is fluent in Thai language both written and spoken, he was as reports keep saying brought up here plus the positions hes held would probably require those skills.

It is surprising hes not after 40 years gained citizenship, he considers himself to be Thai after all and has contacts enough. Perhaps he is so Thai he thought it didnt really matter having PR already....

Obviously he was mistaken or didnt bother to chat to his lawyer before getting involved in the politics... should have read TV a bit, any of us could have told him to keep out of it and the possible consequences.

I do wonder if he wasnt invited to speak and possibly told he had nothing to worry about good PR for him i expect he thought... or they just didnt care to mention the risks

Er no you cant be kicked out of Singapore as a PR, if they wanted to kick you out of Singapore they would have to get your PR status withdrawn in a court of law, once the court orders your PR withdrawn, then immigration can start taking steps to get you kicked out.

therefore your statement is incorrect.

Bloody hell, talk about pedantic semantics.

• Like 2

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

Yes, and I wonder how many of us would be outraged by foreigners engaging in "anti-government activities" in our home countries...

[And in how many countries can people sue officials who have made a deportation order?]

• Like 1

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

It's a shame he, as a foreigner, considered Thailand "his own" (according to you, anyway) when he quite clearly was making an incorrect assumption. Maybe he should have looked in a mirror before he joined the leaders of the protests.

A:Not according to me, according to him and his family. I'll take their view above yours any day.

B: Evidence he is a leader please.

C We all could use mirrors [yourself included]

D: My post was aimed at the unnecessary gloating at this mans misfortune, I don't find it funny at all.

• Like 1

This is really obscene. The Immigration Commission before saw no reason whatsoever why this man should be deported, doubtless embarrassing Chalerm no end in front of the media. Well, guess what, they changed their mind. I wonder why ? And Yingluck, who has the authority - help us all - for deportation - has - surprise, surprise - decided to keep her hands clean by delegating a task so unsavoury that it would sully the image she is trying so carefully to build up of herself on her facebook page. When the deportation of a foreigner becomes the single, sole prize of a domestically imposed emergency decree, you know something really doesn't add up. Let's hope the Indian government sues the pants off of Chalerm for this outrageous act, and when this preposterous act is reversed, and he returns to Thailand - as undoubtedly will happen - that he be met with a hero's welcome. And further, that Chalerm - as part of his probationary sentence - be required to present him with a garland of flowers.

• Like 2

This guy is an absolute idiot with no common sense. The quicker he gets out the better

Moo, there you go again, anything anti-government and you're opposed to it, regardless of the circumstances...!!

You speak as if you know the guy ... "This guy is an absolute idiot with no common sense" ... but you obviously don't; and indeed, you are proving yourself to be the real "absolute idiot" on this forum.

He has made enormous contributions to Thai-Indian business relations, and as soon as these clowns are kicked out of office, any potential threat of deportation will simply fade away...!!

Just the small problem of kicking them out, that seems to be fading away don't you think.

I feel that chance disappeared with the army of tractors.

Edited by lostinsurin

Kind of remark coming from a 9ish year old....presumably you've amassed a few asbos in your time. Sad world when faced with such constructive tripe......jeez

Find a mirror.

Ouch, must of been painful getting off the rusty barbed wire fence you pretend to ride for the sake of an antigovernment crusader about to get justice served.

I sit in chairs and sofas, quite comfortable ones really.

I don't sit on fences, I take positions on most issues. You just don't like the fact that I regard PT with as much contempt as I do suthep. Both are dangerously narrow minded in their thinking and have no concern for anyone or anything but themselves. Neither has any respect for democracy or the majority of the Thai people. It is blind indifference to reality to say otherwise.

I'll judge each issue as it arises, you keep your red shades and judge them through those.

• Like 2

Simon

Ever heard of free speech?

This is not normally limited to a country's citizens, it is normally extended to the people who come to visit.

Totally politically motivated and he will come back soon once this shit sack government is gone and will be handed HONORARY CITIZENSHIP.

Get used to it.

Yes!!

Simon

Im certain Senghi is fluent in Thai language both written and spoken, he was as reports keep saying brought up here plus the positions hes held would probably require those skills.

It is surprising hes not after 40 years gained citizenship, he considers himself to be Thai after all and has contacts enough. Perhaps he is so Thai he thought it didnt really matter having PR already....

Obviously he was mistaken or didnt bother to chat to his lawyer before getting involved in the politics... should have read TV a bit, any of us could have told him to keep out of it and the possible consequences.

I do wonder if he wasnt invited to speak and possibly told he had nothing to worry about good PR for him i expect he thought... or they just didnt care to mention the risks

I believe his political involvement is purely fir his business expansion.

YL govt refuse to include TATA in the 100,000 Baht rebate scheme, as TATA Nano was not built domestically

http://www.aseanaffairs.com/thailand_news/trade/thai_auto_program_brings_protests

• Like 1

Find a mirror.

A:Not according to me, according to him and his family. I'll take their view above yours any day.

B: Evidence he is a leader please.

C We all could use mirrors [yourself included]

D: My post was aimed at the unnecessary gloating at this mans misfortune, I don't find it funny at all.

Obviously in Thailand you do not needs evidence, as the court found the Protesters Peaceful and not armed,

Immigration law foreigners cannot actively participate in any actions aimed at the overthrow of the Thai government!

Don't let that door hit that Farang in the butt on the way out of Thailand!

Gloating:

A non citizen can sue a foreign government if they get deported for breaking the law???

If he really thought he was a Thai and loved the place so much he would have applied for citizenship

Can you tell us what law he broke? After a gazzillion posts on the last thread concerning this, the fact was he did not break any law.

Enjoy our flight home Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif alt=w00t.gif width=18 height=20>

Find a mirror.

For give me as I live in Singapore and had done for 32 years but travel to Thailand every week, so I must have missed something here. I can be kicked out of Singapore also as a PR.

Since when has living in Singapore been an excuse for being a heartless bas***d. After 32 years there I imagine you would shed a tear or two if we all laugh our heads off as you were deported. Now I wonder what PR could stand for in this case mmmmm?

• Like 1

Yes!!

Simon

I believe his political involvement is purely fir his business expansion. YL govt refuse to include TATA in the 100,000 Baht rebate scheme, as TATA Nano was not built domestically

http://www.aseanaffairs.com/thailand_news/trade/thai_auto_program_brings_protests

So you are inferring his motivation is revenge for a failed application by Tata, Do you know if he represented Tata in the discussions?. Easy to kick a man when he is down & by the way your comment is defamatory under Thai Law. Love to see you squealing 'sorry, sorry' if taken to Court

Edited by simple1

I wonder if our comments here on Thai Visa are also seen as "getting involved".

Moderator, can you tell us what are the risks in giving our critical views on Thai visa?

If Charlerm and his band of merry thieves, took in on themselves to interpret comments on TV as getting involved in Thai Politics they could, lest not forget Thailands attempts at supressing stuff on facebook even to the point of hitting "Like" being be interepreted as "breaking the law"

One suspects if they could/did start tracking people down for the comments they are making on TV there would be plenty of TV members getting their "visa's" revoked and people getting deported under the Thai "libel" laws.

Problem is the police cant even enforce traffic laws, so one suspects hunting TV members down would be rather problematic for them...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1