Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

webfact

A non citizen can sue a foreign government if they get deported for breaking the law???

If he really thought he was a Thai and loved the place so much he would have applied for citizenship

applying for citizenship is full of corruption. if you do not bribe a persone here and there, the request will merely sit on desk for ever. my western father is a thai citizen. so i KNOW better than anyone here. one you open the doors for bribes, you will so more problems. ... which require MORE bribes. i would rather sacrifice my freedom over supporting corrupt practices. IMHO, westerners, including foreigners, love thai people more than thai people love eachother.

• Like 1

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A non citizen can sue a foreign government if they get deported for breaking the law???

If he really thought he was a Thai and loved the place so much he would have applied for citizenship

applying for citizenship is full of corruption. if you do not bribe a persone here and there, the request will merely sit on desk for ever. my western father is a thai citizen. so i KNOW better than anyone here. one you open the doors for bribes, you will so more problems. ... which require MORE bribes. i would rather sacrifice my freedom over supporting corrupt practices. IMHO, westerners, including foreigners, love thai people more than thai people love eachother.
Yes and we haven't paid a cent. And things still worked. Funny that.

People pay. I know they do. I'm just not convinced that it helps.

Edited by samran

He broke no laws.

After SOE when freedom of speech became a crime he stopped.

He has been cleared of the charges charm brought against him because there was no evidence.

No one deserves the vindictive, petty behaviour being exhibited by PT.

However as I said earlier, I don't care. Still no reason to take pleasure in his misfortune.

Contemptible to do so.

what freedom of speech? you heard of the restrictive and censorship laws here? which are about the worst (apart from N.Korea) I have come across? Les Majeste ring a bell???

a hypocrite you are (Yoda 'free' speech)

Ok I'll bite. Why am I a hypocrite?

because 'freedom of speech' here has never, ever been allowed so they can't stop something that was never there

ps by the way I am not one to gloat over this chaps misfortune BUT he was warned AND he is not Thai and my advice to anyone on either side who is not a Thai passport holder is you are, and will always be, a second class citizen here, get used to it, keep your nose clean and OUT of Thai politics publicly - not our business we can rant on here (not that it makes a modicum of difference)

I still don't see why that makes me a hypocrite.

for all those who say that he has supported thailand local thais , well today I when down to check out his restuarant Indus at Suk 26 , he only employs Burmese and Filipinos. At His Dressed salad restuarnats ta Mercury Ville and at Paragon, all the staff are filipinos! I think that the Immigation authorities need to do a check or is someone at the Immigration on the take. How can a establishment have only Filipinos staff completely, what type of work permits are they own?

Yup. That is pretty much the case.

• Like 1

Having a friend who can pull a string or two speeds the whole thing up, no doubt.

Having a friend who can pull a string or two speeds the whole thing up, no doubt.
Depends. Some certainly have achieved that. I also know others who lobbied unsuccessfully and waited 10 years while others in the queue went ahead.

To my mind here in Thailand is that I sometimes think lobbying and under the table payments can be counter productive precisely as it also gives and excuse for officials to slow things down and hold out for more. Or in other cases you are paying for something which would have been done for you anyways.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

for all those who say that he has supported thailand local thais , well today I when down to check out his restuarant Indus at Suk 26 , he only employs Burmese and Filipinos. At His Dressed salad restuarnats ta Mercury Ville and at Paragon, all the staff are filipinos! I think that the Immigation authorities need to do a check or is someone at the Immigration on the take. How can a establishment have only Filipinos staff completely, what type of work permits are they own?

You had time to chat to ALL the staff in ALL 3 restaurants .. busy boy!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Please check the facts before you post. He would employ Thais if he could get them. Thailand has a labour shortage currently estimated at 300,000 jobs, especially in Bangkok. That is even with the current 1,864,520 Burmese, Lao and Cambodians already helping make up the labour shortage. Without Burmese workers, many businesses such as restaurants find it very difficult to get Thai workers to work in their restaurants. Even my daughter tried it for a while, but gave it up because being a Thai she was able to get a better job where she doesn't have to work hard, and earns more money. That is why many minimum wage unskilled jobs are being filled by Burmese, Cambodians, Lao and to a lesser extent Filipinos. They have a proper work permits. Next year the ASEAN will allow the free movement of skilled labour so expect to see more skilled Thais working in other ASEAN Countries and more Burmese, Cambodians and Lao serving you in restaurants. There are not many Filipinos working in menial jobs here except students.

I have other friends who have had to employ Burmese workers because they also cannot get skilled and unskilled Thai workers for their businesses in Bangkok.

Easy enough to employ Burmese (and Laos and Cambodian nationals) under the migrant labour scheme. In doing so they get two year work permits and access to Thailand's public hospital system.

Phil's and other nationals are a bit different, but it is easy to get a work permit but if the salary, registered capital and the 4:1 ratio isn't met here the extension of stay isn't granted. As such you'd have to do the work permit plus visa run every 90 days option. Not ideal, but one of Thai visas sponsors has suggested this as a way and plenty if service industries who need English speakers hire low wage Philippinos under this system.

only in that I observe you defending 'free speech' and this guys 'right' to interfere in a foreign country's affairs - yet not condemning that there is no free speech here nor that he should keep his Indian nose out of it?

BTW way post #155 is quiet revealing too for this avid 'Indian Thai nationalist'

Edited by binjalin

only in that I observe you defending 'free speech' and this guys 'right' to interfere in a foreign country's affairs - yet not condemning that there is no free speech here nor that he should keep his Indian nose out of it?

BTW way post #155 is quiet revealing too for this avid 'Indian Thai nationalist'

That logic makes no sense at all. I said he has the right to free speech, that is not in any manner condoning the restriction of free speech in other areas. Why you would think this is beyond me.

That logic makes no sense at all. I said he has the right to free speech, that is not in any manner condoning the restriction of free speech in other areas. Why you would think this is beyond me.

On this question of free speech etc...interesting parallel about to be played out in the US in that the US conservatives are pushing for Piers Morgan's deportation from the US over his stance/comments over his position on gun control in the US, and it appears CNN is pulling his show.

I dont particularly like Piers Morgan, think he is a swarmy, arrogant bast*rd......but it seems along with Thailand, free speech aint alive an well in the US either.wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know of several Foreigners that became Thai and it was not about bribery but had more to do of what the person has contributed to Thailand and how much taxes he had paid, what kind of visa statuses they had over the past 20 years as an example.

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

What visa does he have? ED?

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

Edit: I note that the original article says he has a residency permit ==> PR

What does this say? He wants to stay in the country but refuses to become a citizen. Probably because he and his offspring would need to fulfill certain criteria like i think serve in the military and be a monk if they are buddhists i think. Obviously he just wants to leach off thailand.

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

There is no right to freedom of speech in Thailand. But don't let the facts get in the way of how you view reality in Thailand.

He has contribute many to this country and served as consultant at finance minister office, He did a lot of good deeds to this country just break a emergency laws by deporting him it's something really unfair. As he has so strong connection why don't he apply for Thai citizenship which open for those who has contribute to this society for 50 years and still not a Thai.Someone like him has the power and connection but still holding India passport how about properties under his name ? You cannot deport an investor as this waking call for others.

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

What does this say? He wants to stay in the country but refuses to become a citizen. Probably because he and his offspring would need to fulfill certain criteria like i think serve in the military and be a monk if they are buddhists i think. Obviously he just wants to leach off thailand.

Think you will find his children are Thai citizens. He has many businesses here and worked in senior positions for six Thai Government Ministries, I would not call that being a leach. If his children are Buddhist they not obliged to become monks, although its Thai cultural practice to attend a Wat for a short period of time.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Simon

Clearly your 'ultimate weapon' isn't your brain.

As a naturalised Thai he wouldn't be required to serve. As for becoming a monk, well that is a personal decision. Many don't. Those who do usual do it for 10 days, usually as a merit making for their parents.

Do back to the drawing board on your conspiracy theories. Don't try and think too much, it might hurt.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

There is no right to freedom of speech in Thailand. But don't let the facts get in the way of how you view reality in Thailand.

Thanks I won't let your 'facts' get in my way at all.

Yes. Look at what happens in Europe. Non European nationals break the law and then fight deportation with Human Rights actions. Then reality stops and we enter the twilight zone.

No idea how Thai law stands but it seems that you can sue for just about anything, whoever you are, as long as you have the money and connections.