Hi, I,m a old boy bobbying around in Esaan. Recently met a nice young man who has been here for quite some time, he has children here but is unmaried, about 40yrs old from the u.k. Nice bloke but told me he has an overstay problem running in years rather than months or days, he asked if i knew the best way to clear such a big OS without being locked up or kicked out. I am not blessed with this knowledge but said i would ask the question here. Can any body give any sound advise which i could pass on ASAP ? Cheers.

Best thing he can do is get a flight (AirAsia is cheap) down to Penang............taking 20k baht to cover the overstay when he departs Don Muang and obtain a visa at the Thai Consulate in Penang.

At present he risks arrest and deportation.

Airport is least hassle way out, just pay your tab, eeeerrr have your "friend" pay his tab with a smile and you'll be on your way.
I remember a recent post here not long ago – can’t find it anymore with the erratic search engine attached to this forum – saying that when paying the maximum overstay fine (THB 20,000) at the airport, Immigration collects an additional fee of THB 5,000. If this is in fact implemented, the total tab will be THB 25,000.

---------------

Maestro

..taking 20k baht to cover the overstay when he departs Don Muang and obtain a visa at the Thai Consulate in Penang.

I thought you could get blacklisted on a very long overstay?? ..

I have not seen any post about an extra 5,000 baht but I did see one about a policy of one year black listing being posted at the airport but a later check at a border post by another member found them unaware of any such policy so it may well have been a misunderstanding; perhaps in reference to being found out prior to reaching an immigration office. To my knowledge we have not received any information that there is anything other than the 20k fine for maximum overstay as long as you have the funds to pay and a ticket out and reach immigration.

My mate paid 20,500 and didn't get blacklisted for 8 years overstay.

Sounds like a great way to save money.

8 years = 96 months of visa runs say at

2,000 baht a pop = 192,000 baht .

Not to mention the cost of new passports.

Only drawback is the sweat and heart-thumping any time the cops are nearby :o

Good advice already, so I'll just say if that is Mark from the UK.... good luck to you... it's about time you did something about it... :D

if it's NOT Mark, uhmm... nevermind, but I do wonder just how many 40-ish Brits on multi-year overstays there are in Issan... :o

Edited by sriracha john

I know also a stupid man and his story about one year overstay and an expired passport.

Last month he was going first to his embassy for to became issued an A4-Letter (same like oneway passport for to go back in your home-country), paid 20k in "Don Muang airport" and no problem he said. He already is back with an triple Tourist-Visa - no problem he said again.

But i think this is always a discretion of the immigration officers you have - you have luck or you have not - same a game ...he has to be gambler.

Hi, I,m a old boy bobbying around in Esaan. Recently met a nice young man who has been here for quite some time, he has children here but is unmaried, about 40yrs old from the u.k. Nice bloke but told me he has an overstay problem running in years rather than months or days, he asked if i knew the best way to clear such a big OS without being locked up or kicked out. I am not blessed with this knowledge but said i would ask the question here. Can any body give any sound advise which i could pass on ASAP ? Cheers.

I'm visiting German-speaking prisoner's in Bangkok for the last 15 years and to my knowledge he has only one option.

He has to leave the country anyway - so he should get a ticket first (any destination out of Thailand but with a flight), go to the Immigration in Bangkok and turn himself in.

He will have to see a Judge and he has to pay 20'000.- Baht for any length of overstay.

He than have to leave the country and can re-enter it - hopefully with a proper visa and would be legally back in Thailand.

I also suggest he informs his Embassy and they can give him first-hand information's about the procedure.

I hope for him he is doing the right thing soon as if he get's into any control he will be arrested and send to the immigration.

He might spend some days at the police station and a few days in the Immigration prison.

I can assure you that's not a place he will like.

He does not need to pay his fine at immigration in Bangkok but needs to get to immigration police without contact with any other police first and for that the airport is a good choice. Many roads to border crossings will have police checks where he would risk being found out.

Would not recommend to settle this issue at any Immigration Office.

All they do is accept the fine , stamp you to leave within the same day.

Hope Passport is still valid and the famous TM6 is still available.

Follow Lopburi3 adise and fly out and come back either on 30day or with a proper double or triple TouristVisa.

Good Luck , the rate is THB 20k and no problem with Re-entry.

Edited by visarunner

Good Luck , the rate is THB 20k and no problem with Re-entry.

Usually I'd totally agree here, I know many people that have paid the max fine and re entered with no problems but I just read this new thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=0entry762628

Now of course the guy needs to leave and fix his visa situation as its a problem that will just grow and grow so the chance has to be taken, but I think if it was me I'd definately go out via the airport and not overland, something tells me you will be less likely to get blacklisted that way though its just a hunch.

Perhaps 99,999 times out of 100,000 the overstayer is let off with a simple fine, and then this happens.

---------------

Maestro

This seems to confirm the report we had that any overstay that amounts to the full 20k fine (40 days) will result in a one year black listing.

Perhaps 99,999 times out of 100,000 the overstayer is let off with a simple fine, and then this happens.

---------------

Maestro

This seems to confirm the report we had that any overstay that amounts to the full 20k fine (40 days) will result in a one year black listing.

Where did that report come from lopburi3? Or is there a link to it in this forum? Surely thats just going to encourage a lot of people just to keep overstaying once they hit the magic 20 k mark?

Probably new guidelines in the Immigration Bureau, then. (Now I remember reading that earlier post, and I had got it mixed up with the other thing, the extra 5,000 Baht fee that was in fact not mentioned, at least not recently)

So, times are getting tougher for the gamblers (overstayers who think they can get away with it easily). That maximum of 20k is reached fast with the new calculation of 500 Baht per day. Pay no heed to posters who talk about friends who were let off with the maximum fine and no blacklisting: that was then, and now a new wind is blowing! And don’t count on sailing through with a simple fine for shorter overstays; things can change any time, from one day to the next.

---------------

Maestro

Here is the link to the first mention of one year blacklisting in another forum. I mentioned it as unconfirmed several times here but this latest post seems to be the first hard evidence that it is real. There was also another post by a member who asked at the border and told that there was no such policy about a week ago.

Here is the link to the first mention of one year blacklisting in another forum.
according to a sign at Immigration in Don Muang, when you reach the maximum fine of 20,000B, you will be blacklisted (no re-entry) for one year.
It would be nice if someone passing through Don Muang one of these days would photograph this sign and post it here. If the sign is near an immigration desk, perhaps first ask permission from an officer. I don’t not if there are restrictions about photographing in the airport

---------------

Maestro

I know several people who have over-stayed a long time, paid the fine and been banned for 12 months. However a new passport, always works, well did always work, there are these new clever passports; so it might not work now.

Overstay is foolish, but I guess some people just believe they will stay for ever, perhaps in Isaan and 'drop out' of society. However when they need to leave they panic.

I know several people who have over-stayed a long time, paid the fine and been banned for 12 months. However a new passport, always works, well did always work, there are these new clever passports; so it might not work now.

Overstay is foolish, but I guess some people just believe they will stay for ever, perhaps in Isaan and 'drop out' of society. However when they need to leave they panic.

Well they do have the new scanner machines for passports at the airport. One would assume their data matching capabilities are better as a result now as well.

Well they do have the new scanner machines for passports at the airport. One would assume their data matching capabilities are better as a result now as well.

OK. Thanks to all who have submitted a reply and offered words of advise. I myself also believe overstaying is a dodgy area to plunge oneself into and therefore tend to believe that those who end up in this situation have done so due to their own predicaments, i.e. financial/geographical etc. The lad in this senario did in fact " drop out " spent his time working on the farm and supporting his wife and kids by doing so, not an easy option in my mind for a farang to adopt, never the less, time, money and geography seem to have been his downfall; seems a shame TL does not recognise or appreciate situations like this and allow for a suitable legal way to enable a man to take care of his family without being wealthy or in receipt of a decent pension/income from abroad. Thanks again to all, i believe through all this the guy will come out ok in the end.