Retirement: If Not Thailand, Where?

i have visited phillipines many times for work , its aweful for crime, corruption , bad food ,and scam Thailand is in a different class much better,, Spain is pleasant but rule of law is variable and bureaucracy is poor and taxation due to being in EU is high .

Chile is lovely and safe but women are not, so good looking as other south americans , i worked in chile for a year and also venezuela and columbia but they are to dangerous

Where in Colombia? What year?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the OP my mentality behind the question was based on a lot of "what if's"--- I think every farang needs a Plan B (even a C), and some definable reason or event that causes them to leave.

I love Thailand... Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai have 90% of everything I want in Thailand (sadly lacking only a beach). I live like Scrooge McDuck here on what my car payment was on my plastic Chevrolet back in states. I've grown addicted to Thai massages and discovered the Thai food is pretty authentic (Kaw Soi will surely be the focal point of my autopsy). But I do realize that common sense involves deciding where to pull the pin. Every comment here has some validity--- perhaps a better question to ask is "What would make you leave Thailand?"

• Like 1

As the OP my mentality behind the question was based on a lot of "what if's"--- I think every farang needs a Plan B (even a C), and some definable reason or event that causes them to leave.

I love Thailand... Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai have 90% of everything I want in Thailand (sadly lacking only a beach). I live like Scrooge McDuck here on what my car payment was on my plastic Chevrolet back in states. I've grown addicted to Thai massages and discovered the Thai food is pretty authentic (Kaw Soi will surely be the focal point of my autopsy). But I do realize that common sense involves deciding where to pull the pin. Every comment here has some validity--- perhaps a better question to ask is "What would make you leave Thailand?"

To ask, you have no idea! Though as I've researched (lived in) different places in this country must say Chiang Mai was a favorite but having to travel outside the entire region from late December to April due to over the top the most unhealthy pollution than anywhere I've encountered in the world made me reconsider. Now lungs healthy & living in BK. Reasons to leave is this country is both overly commercialized & overly polluted including the ocean near any inhabited areas.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Completely off topic..

But i love living where i live , and would struggle to find anything that comes near..

Europe , is just too expensive, and has loads of negatives..

Thailand, ok is not perfect, but with half decent income, you can live like a ''King'' here..

just my tuppence worth..

• Like 1

"To ask, you have no idea! Though as I've researched (lived in) different places in this country must say Chiang Mai was a favorite but having to travel outside the entire region from late December to April due to over the top the most unhealthy pollution than anywhere I've encountered in the world made me reconsider. Now lungs healthy & living in BK. Reasons to leave is this country is both overly commercialized & overly polluted including the ocean near any inhabited areas."

Funny... the air pollution in Chiang Mai is what's caused me to rethink living here year 'round. I just never thought BBK as the answer though. It's a megalopolis built on a traffic jam--- and it's frankly one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen in my life. But to each his own. The impending burning season has me concerned so much that I'm thinking about packing up and checking out Spain... (from June to December Chiang Mai is fine... I'm originally from Oregon, I understand wet).

"To ask, you have no idea! Though as I've researched (lived in) different places in this country must say Chiang Mai was a favorite but having to travel outside the entire region from late December to April due to over the top the most unhealthy pollution than anywhere I've encountered in the world made me reconsider. Now lungs healthy & living in BK. Reasons to leave is this country is both overly commercialized & overly polluted including the ocean near any inhabited areas."

Funny... the air pollution in Chiang Mai is what's caused me to rethink living here year 'round. I just never thought BBK as the answer though. It's a megalopolis built on a traffic jam--- and it's frankly one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen in my life. But to each his own. The impending burning season has me concerned so much that I'm thinking about packing up and checking out Spain... (from June to December Chiang Mai is fine... I'm originally from Oregon, I understand wet).

Just a thought as it was my first loved area in Thailand, check out Krabi Town (stayed & there is a great expat community) & Ko Lanta (never stayed but heard its beautiful & quiet). I live BK because being from Los Angeles, I have difficulties living outside a big city. The small town living was fun but I tend to go ape shit after several months.

For retirement purposes, after Thailand I am going to be looking at Uruguay and Chile. I know someone who moved to Chile, she (a senior citizen) said that the medical system was good enough to compare to Canada, and that English speaking people (Canadians specifically) seemed to be quite welcome. It all depends on what the political/financial climates of these places/regions are at the time.

I am quite curious as to what changes there have been over the last, say 15 years, for retirement needs, in LoS. Further, what changes can be projected. I probably should start a separate topic, if it hasn't already.

For retirement purposes, after Thailand I am going to be looking at Uruguay and Chile. I know someone who moved to Chile, she (a senior citizen) said that the medical system was good enough to compare to Canada, and that English speaking people (Canadians specifically) seemed to be quite welcome. It all depends on what the political/financial climates of these places/regions are at the time.

I am quite curious as to what changes there have been over the last, say 15 years, for retirement needs, in LoS. Further, what changes can be projected. I probably should start a separate topic, if it hasn't already.

I was with a friend last night who has visited over 150 countries. His choice for an alternate to Thailand is Chile and Uruguay. With the latter being #1. We spent a few weeks in both countries. Weather gets a bit cool in winter, especially S. Chile. Uruguay's coast line is fantastic.

If not Thailand, back to Florida --

mas-overourheads-donnabrown.jpg

Looks like a nice place to relax. Where was that photo taken?

Just had an old friend retire in Florida and he is loving it. He escaped the worst winter in decades up north so he is especially smug.

Interesting that Uruguay seems to be a favorite for many people. I had only thought about it as some

sort of safe but not particularly interesting country. Obviously I need to learn a lot more about it.

If you do go, try to arrange it during their mardis gras. It's quite tame and great fun. We paid to go up on somebody's roof top (2nd floor). They had free flow beer and whiskey, all you could eat BBQ, fantastic viewing area, all for some $20. It was wonderful and we met some really cool local people.

We liked the N. coast the best. Incredibly beautiful. Great food. Great roads, Nice people. Safe. Cool in their winter. But a bit more expensive than other SA countries. And of course, marijuana is now legal. 555555

post-5869-0-86207700-1393725452_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-24812800-1393725498_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-41491400-1393725543_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-04952500-1393725568_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-39338000-1393725596_thumb.jp

When my pension kicks in, I would consider Ecuador, Chile, or Panama. I wouldn't consider any other country in Asia right now. Burma 10 years from now might get interesting though! Or of course for me back in the U.S.S.A. would not require a visa.

I thought you were retired long time????

When my pension kicks in, I would consider Ecuador, Chile, or Panama. I wouldn't consider any other country in Asia right now. Burma 10 years from now might get interesting though! Or of course for me back in the U.S.S.A. would not require a visa.

I think Burma is more like 3-5 years. Vietnam for now & looking back would be my choice. Thailand is overly commercialized with insane import taxes. If I were to buy a $7 bottle of wine from the States, I'd pay $40-$60 here, closer to the later.

sir

Your future happiness/decision making on where to live is governed by the price of wine, i find that very sad,and a little bit disturbing to be honest

I think Burma is more like 3-5 years. Vietnam for now & looking back would be my choice. Thailand is overly commercialized with insane import taxes. If I were to buy a $7 bottle of wine from the States, I'd pay $40-$60 here, closer to the later.

sir

Your future happiness/decision making on where to live is governed by the price of wine, i find that very sad,and a little bit disturbing to be honest

If you READ the whole post you'd see it wasn't about wine. That in fact it was about commercialization & import taxes; the wine comment was just an example. However if it was about the wine, it wouldn't be about the price, but the selection... If could start over, it would so be South America.

• Like 2

So where in Chile do people suggest exactly? Santiago has very bad air pollution so I think that's out.

Uruguay, I do understand the appeal but I was underwhelmed on a short visit to Colonia.

On wine prices, I think this could be one important factor for people who find enjoyment from wine, which is common. It would rarely be the only factor. It's definitely a negative for Thailand and a positive for some other places like Chile.

It's always a PROS vs. CONS decision on deciding retirement destinations, and different people have different priorities. There is also the "X" factor, just the subjective feel of the place, and this can never be known before visiting places.

These days we can "cheat" somewhat on exploring options and get some hints on the feel of places by watching youtube videos.

A personal note -- yes I retired early before pension age.

Most expat retirement destination nations (not Thailand) DO require an income, usually a lifetime pension income specifically.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

..we have discussed this so many times and came to the conclusion that with all its ups and downs, Thailand is still the best country to retire compared to all others mentioned in this topic.

Lived in all of them, or even visited, have you?

So where in Chile do people suggest exactly? Santiago has very bad air pollution so I think that's out.

Uruguay, I do understand the appeal but I was underwhelmed on a short visit to Colonia.

On wine prices, I think this could be one important factor for people who find enjoyment from wine, which is common. It would rarely be the only factor. It's definitely a negative for Thailand and a positive for some other places like Chile.

It's always a PROS vs. CONS decision on deciding retirement destinations, and different people have different priorities. There is also the "X" factor, just the subjective feel of the place, and this can never be known before visiting places.

These days we can "cheat" somewhat on exploring options and get some hints on the feel of places by watching youtube videos.

A personal note -- yes I retired early before pension age.

Most expat retirement destination nations (not Thailand) DO require an income, usually a lifetime pension income specifically.

Cheers.

Santiago does have pretty bad air. Not a place I'd choose to live, but I would select Bangkok either. Colonia is not a good representation of Uruguay. Depends on what you like. Downtown Montevideo is a bit dodgy, but the area that has that huge curing beach is really nice. Kinda looks like Miami Beach. Built up, but beautiful beach. If you like more solitude, keep heading north. Amazing. But quite.

For me, I love wine. It sucks here in Thailand. The prices are probably 50-80% more than in other locales, which is bad enough, but it's the selection that really sucks.

I really like at least moderately sized cities anywhere. I hate living in the sticks anywhere. Super metropolis cities like Mexico City are probably not the best choices for retirement anywhere. For me, it's about much more than the country, but the specifics of where in the country. Researching Uruguay, I didn't see a specific place fit for me yet though I do fully understand Colonia does not represent all of Uruguay (and it's very nice for a visit ... but for me BORING very fast!). Chile either. I think there are some in Argentina but I've rejected Argentina for various complex reasons (perhaps read the current news and history of the last decades for that). From my criteria, it makes sense that cities Cuenca, Medellin, even Panama City come up on my radar.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I spent 18 years working in SE Asia (Vietnam, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea) so it was natural for me to retire (early !!) in LOS where I had spent many happy vacations. And I had learned to speak adequate Thai too !!

(I'm Belgian but have lived outside Europe since my early twenties)

But if I retired today I'd not retire here. I'd go to Ecuador or Argentina (I speak Spanish).

A few years back I indeed considered sharing my retirement years between BKK/Pattaya (I rent an apt in both places) and Ecuador with a view of making a permanent move there if I liked it better than LOS.

Inertia got the better of me but now I think I made a mistake not to try the move at the time. Too senior now !!

Portugal would seem to be a possible future place for my twilight years.

But then I have a money-minded 26yo TGF who seems to have planned to take care of me in my last years.

So I think I'll stay here !!

• Like 1

Does anyone know the CURRENT Uruguay annual income requirement for retirement purposes? I am seeing different numbers from 650 to 1500 USD per month, also some mention sometimes of a real estate ownership aspect of it. So I'm not clear. In any case it it's 1500 that is higher than many are receiving in government pensions and a higher level than the requirements for Chile (a higher cost country), Ecuador, Colombia, and Panama. 1500 is probably an average level for U.S. social security checks, some have more, some less.

i have visited phillipines many times for work , its aweful for crime, corruption , bad food ,and scam Thailand is in a different class much better,, Spain is pleasant but rule of law is variable and bureaucracy is poor and taxation due to being in EU is high .

Chile is lovely and safe but women are not, so good looking as other south americans , i worked in chile for a year and also venezuela and columbia but they are to dangerous

Columbia , 2001 &2003 , Bogota Cali ,and Cartagena all work related 3months each contract

Columbia , 2001 &2003 , Bogota Cali ,and Cartagena all work related 3months each contract

Thanks.

Interesting.

The news is a lot has changed in Medellin since then. Violent crime down 90 percent making it one of the safest South American cities and safer than many U.S. cities as well. That was down from one of the worst violent crime places to visit in the world but that is the past now. Crime is Bogata is considered higher than Medellin now. For people able to buy into Medellin NOW (rather than later) the bad reputation is probably a great thing as prices are still relatively low.

I do realize the "is now safe" description of Medellin could be hype but I have read this in multiple places now and not one source saying it's a lie. Typical warnings are the downtown area (most tourists stay elsewhere) is a bit dodgy at night and also to avoid large and obvious slum neighborhoods (duh!) that most people would have no touristic or residential interest in anyway.

It will probably take another decade like that before the world fully believes it though, again, perhaps a good thing.

Edited by Jingthing

i haven't read every post but as far as i can see, no one has brought up where to go if you have a Thai wife. i assume Asia would be relatively easy and for me US and UK would be possible as i'm sure i can get my wife a long term visa in either, but south America? how would that work? i don't even know how to get a long term visa for me, never mind the wife

i haven't read every post but as far as i can see, no one has brought up where to go if you have a Thai wife. i assume Asia would be relatively easy and for me US and UK would be possible as i'm sure i can get my wife a long term visa in either, but south America? how would that work? i don't even know how to get a long term visa for me, never mind the wife

If a country interests you, it's time to do the research. In Latin American countries, lawyers are often needed to navigate long term visa issues. It will generally be harder to get clear and definitive information on these countries compared to Thailand (especially thanks to this particular site). There are of course some forum sources for all retirement destination countries as well. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many people spend a lot of resources in exploring retirement destinations they'll never be eligible to live in. The visa thing to me is priority one for serious consideration.

Edited by Jingthing

Wyoming (or Idaho) Summers, Texas or SoCal winters. But I don't want to wait to retire- just gotta find a way to make it work...

Or, if it has to be "exotic": Alaska or Canada summers, Mexico, Belize, or Costa Rica winters.

If Cuba does open up to Americans, I may substitute Cuba in the winter- but hard to tell without spending some time there.

I like it here fine, but Thailand doesn't make the top 20.

• Like 1

Wyoming (or Idaho) Summers, Texas or SoCal winters. But I don't want to wait to retire- just gotta find a way to make it work...

Or, if it has to be "exotic": Alaska or Canada summers, Mexico, Belize, or Costa Rica winters.

If Cuba does open up to Americans, I may substitute Cuba in the winter- but hard to tell without spending some time there.

I like it here fine, but Thailand doesn't make the top 20.

Wyoming....SWEET! Just have to convince the wife.