Beggars

hellohello123

What are you supposed to make of the beggars on the side of the street?

You've got women often who look about 40 with a newborn or two begging in the street at 10pm

Or the same guy near soi cowboy on the side of the street that I've seen three years in a row with no foot, and no leg facing face down in the middle of the foot path

I've heard that some make a good living, but I don't see anyone giving money

I guess if he has no leg, he wouldn't have a foot !!

Always give them a few coins if I have some in my pocket..

Haha, you got me on that one, he actually is missing a foot on one leg, and missing his leg on the other,

And he is face down in the middle of the footpath every time I go there,

It's just confronting every time

I don't give them anything!

They borrow or hire the baby (or it is theirs)so it would look "so sad" for tourist etc that see them, but it is a scam.

Not in all maybe but as I said I never give money to beggers since it could be crimes behind it!

In Malaysia it was a guy with a opend wound in the leg who begged. In the evening we saw the same guy walk without his "sticks" and whitout any problem. Also that wound would heal if he not opened it up every morning...

Edited by MichaelShort

Owned and run by mafia (IOW police), same mob as the shoeshine/rose kids.

Healthy food & drinks only.

Dangerous to try to otherwise help.

An embarrassment to the Kingdom.

Why dangerous to help them? I asked one old lady with a kid on Sukhumvit why she was begging. She said she needed money for food and milk for the baby. I told her I was happy to go buy those things for her. If she knew English, the words "F*** Off" would have been yelled at me. I laughed in her face and walked away.

The kids that come to your table with gum for sale….they don't know how to react when you offer them help outside of money. Same deal...

This is the typical response of the comfortably off person suffering from white guilt and angry about it . . . .blame the beggars, demonise them by turning them into mafia members. The same tactic is used in the west.

Anyway, the process of 'giving' makes buhn for the giver and is a practice to be undertaken for the sake of your soul. It matters not if in fact the beggar is a mafia member (imaginary or not)

Don't make excuses if you don't want to give . . . . . . don't try to fix blame on the beggar, just don't do it but you should give a little if u can . . it's good for you!

Oferring beggars food or something is just another way to salve your guilt as superficially you are trying to help but simultaneously maintaining control of the way in which your 'gift' of 20 baht is spent. It can only be spent on things you approve of . . . . . . so middle-class, so scared to open your hearts and be generous in case occassionally someone may 'make a fool of you' . . . .

Edited by cheyenne

The beggars i laugh at the most are the ones with no legs & stumps for arms crawling their way to an unknown destination.

Funny story = i once put a lit ciggarett but into the back pocket of a beggar with stumps for arms & laughed as he wriggled like a snake on hot coals

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The beggars i laugh at the most are the ones with no legs & stumps for arms crawling their way to an unknown destination.

Funny story = i once put a lit ciggarett but into the back pocket of a beggar with stumps for arms & laughed as he wriggled like a snake on hot coals

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would you laugh at them?

Or do I have middle class white syndrome for feeling sorry for him for missing limbs....unless he did them himself deliberately

This is the typical response of the comfortably off person suffering from white guilt and angry about it . . . .blame the beggars, demonise them by turning them into mafia members. The same tactic is used in the west.

Anyway, the process of 'giving' makes buhn for the giver and is a practice to be undertaken for the sake of your soul. It matters not if in fact the beggar is a mafia member (imaginary or not)

Don't make excuses if you don't want to give . . . . . . don't try to fix blame on the beggar, just don't do it but you should give a little if u can . . it's good for you!

Oferring beggars food or something is just another way to salve your guilt as superficially you are trying to help but simultaneously maintaining control of the way in which your 'gift' of 20 baht is spent. It can only be spent on things you approve of . . . . . . so middle-class, so scared to open your hearts and be generous in case occassionally someone may 'make a fool of you' . . . .

So are you recommending giving them food etc instead of cash if you really want to help them ?

I am speechless by reading above comment......you better read some of the comments on this thread....maffia...etc etc...

I am speechless by reading above comment......you better read some of the comments on this thread....maffia...etc etc...

"Speechless" yet still manages to type out a comment

"Speechless" yet still manages to type out a comment

If i would have stopped typing after "speechless"....yes.

No, I used to live in the neighborhood and got to know the "trustee" girls who did the day-to-day operations for their police mafia bosses. As in personally over a period of years.

Am still on good friendly terms with one that is now 18, have known her since she was 6.

They are ethnic vietnamese trafficked from (purchased in) Cambodia, mostly Phnom Penh but some from Poipet and Battambang.

I suppose you think you're helping the elephant babies by paying the mahout to feed them in the streets of the concrete jungle?

Next time get some solid information before spouting off. . .

Owned and run by mafia (IOW police), same mob as the shoeshine/rose kids.

Healthy food & drinks only.

Dangerous to try to otherwise help.

An embarrassment to the Kingdom.

Why dangerous to help them? I asked one old lady with a kid on Sukhumvit why she was begging. She said she needed money for food and milk for the baby. I told her I was happy to go buy those things for her. If she knew English, the words "F*** Off" would have been yelled at me. I laughed in her face and walked away.

The kids that come to your table with gum for sale.they don't know how to react when you offer them help outside of money. Same deal...

I'm talking about trying to rescue them (AFATK "steal" them) from their owners, get them into foster care where they can get an education and have a chance at a better life.

A lady I knew tried to do that and one day was just gone poof, the kids she'd tried to "steal" were relocated to work RCA, per the trustee kids.

Obviously no good to go to the police since they're the ones running the show behind the scenes.

Just buy them some food without asking and walk up and give it to them, they'll take it. . .

Clean bottles and formula for the babies - they are of course purchased/rented and rotated out with their young "mothers", the latter stick around for years but the babies don't get older.

So are you recommending giving them food etc instead of cash if you really want to help them ?

No he's advocating giving cash, which just rewards the BiB slavers.

Its not the amount, its the fact that people in this world want to tell you how your money is to be spent in helping others. These fake beggars couldn't care less about the legitimate beggars. I don't buy a beggar food to feel better about myself. Its for the simple fact that want to make sure the person is in genuine need.

I guess if he has no leg, he wouldn't have a foot !!

Always give them a few coins if I have some in my pocket..

Haha, you got me on that one, he actually is missing a foot on one leg, and missing his leg on the other,

And he is face down in the middle of the footpath every time I go there,

It's just confronting every time

Is that the guy on Soi 7 and Sukumvit ??? They used to call him the "crawler". He was there for years....

Some poster mentioned white guilt . <deleted> ? There should be some brown guilt from the Thai mafia slavers who buy these children and put them to " work..."

I was told, at the start of my first visit to LoS that all of the Sukumvit beggars are organized under the Cambodians. I have witnessed first hand seeing a beggar childrbeing picked up by an older white tourist. The kids body language said nothing good. The "Mother" looked miserable too.