claiming insurancefor gold lost / stolen in thailand

kranuan

i am travelling soon, i will buy a gold necklace 2-3 baht. if this gold was lost or stolen whilst in thailand how would i make a claim, i have heard that thai police are suspicious of anyone making insurance claims. what is the truth about this and am i better to get an insurance company in thailand ? or a company in uk such as post office insurance.

in event of a claim how would one go about making claim ?

there has been past times when me and wife have travelled within thailand ( without insurance ) with up to 15-20 baht in gold. one time she left her bag in a car dealership in bangkok with around 12 baht gold plus 500,000 baht cash in her bag, very very very luckily we got it back , that taught me a valuable lesson . i also lost had around 12.000 baht stolen from my hotel room in pattaya few years ago , also got my passport stolen in bkk 2 years ago and that was a real <deleted> headache to try and get a new travel document to fly back to my home country .

so i must start to get clued in and protect what i have when travelling.

Obviously the risk of fraud for claims of high value items that "go missing" is quite high. If you are a tourist you'd be looking at some form of travel insurance that includes theft and loss of personal possessions. Most insurance companies would limit the value of what they would be willing to cover and for more expensive items to be covered will charge quite a bit. Also there would be a host of conditions that would apply. A police report would be required at the least and things left unattended (out of your possession) might not be covered. If the item was purchased while travelling, it would be included in the general cover since you couldn't have it covered separately before it was purchased.

Suggest you look here: https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Travel/ABI%20guide%20to%20travel%20insurance.ashx

" there has been past times when me and wife have travelled within thailand ( without insurance ) with up to 15-20 baht in gold. one time she left her bag in a car dealership in bangkok with around 12 baht gold plus 500,000 baht cash in her bag, very very very luckily we got it back , that taught me a valuable lesson ."

Apparently not. I would have thought that the only lesson to be learned from that is "dont carry valuables around with you needlessly". I learned that one when I was still in short trousers and have never lost anything of importance since, nor am I likely to.

As for your insurance, good luck finding a company that will cover you for the loss of large amounts of gold or cash being carried on your person. You may find cover for small amounts.