My new rented house is making me sick.

AgentOkeyDokey

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The question is though: Is there an unpolluted creek available near-by to provide you with fresh scented mist ?

Chiang Mai is one of the most polluted city in the world

Don't get fool by the scenery

I know CM

is not the cleanest but one of the most polluted? I guest you havent been to Varanasri or Lucknow Delhi or Hochimin

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm assuming this gets resolved today, given that you're willing to pay for the water cost of using city water to water the garden. If the places next to you are also rented out then maybe those people will chip in. (We actually haven't heard yet if the people next door also have complaints or not.) But anyway, worst case is that you pay a bit more for clean water sprinkling. Great solution.

BTW, I would recommend to not permanently route the supply to city water, but put in a valve to allow you to select between the two. This because chances are the water quality is near the worst this time of year in the dry season. In the rainy season there will be loads more water in the creek, which may significantly reduce the problem. Then come June or so you might give the creek water a try again.

And if for any reason this does not get solved today then just move out before the end of the month, walking away from your deposit.

Either way this gets resolved this week. And the drama ends.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If "the owner" is happy for you to water the garden (and I must admit, I would be delighted), first check to see if there are any outside taps that run from the domestic water supply. If not, it is not too expensive to get two or three installed for his houses. Then go buy some good lengths of hose and say two or three sprinklers (you can get the plastic ones from most hardware shops such as HomePro). Most people close their doors and windows in the evening to keep the invading army of mossies out. You do likewise and turn on your sprinkler system. Job done, but you might want to have a medical as well to make sure that your immune and other systems are firing on all systems. Good luck!

Your post reminds me of a polluted klong in a rubber plantation area in Rayong where the people have to put up with stench smell (worse situation than you) that caused by a rubber refinery factory nearby released polluted water into the klong. The red tape problem is that the factory is owned by an or-bor-tor who will not do anything to fix this problem. The people in the village are afraid to make complaints. My Thai friend whose house is right next to the klong. That stench nauseating smell is health hazard which causes nagging headache and loss of appetite.

You should have a talk to the landlord and tell him that after having stayed there long enough you discovered that this smell has caused you health problem. When you viewed the place was not long enough to know the hidden fault. Maybe the landlord would negotiate with you to let you break the lease.

Good luck.

The landlord is an excitable man. I think egos have come into play. The Broker didn't want to talk to me on the phone. Or hear my side of the story. I am afraid decisions have been decided. Emotions are riled. This does not bode well for rationality. She will come and talk to me in the afternoon. But didn't have time to talk on the phone.

Now I am kept in suspense until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's possible the broker has already been paid. Which will obviously complicate matters if you and the landlord agree to cancel the lease.

Edited by cocopops

Without wishing to be the least bit rude I'd also say that spider phobics manage to see or find spiders in places the rest of us don't even notice.

I know, I'm an agoraphobic.

Perhaps you've just been sensitized to the issue.

I'm afraid all things consider I'm on the landlord's side unless you can provide solid evidence of a real problem....and even then, is it a problem we all might expect in Thailand and you didn't check for when you signed the contract repeat signed the contract.

Anyway good luck

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

The level of pesticide in the river water needed to create instant nausea would be ridiculously high. Just imagine who many ppm you can get in a drop of water.

Whilst it can be polluted, are you sure this isn't a psychosomatic reaction.

Why are you assuming just pesticides? That is unclear thinking. There are unknown chemical and biological contaminants in the sludge like canal/creek. Pesticides may be one of them. We don't know what chemicals of industry has found its way to this water source. Also biological contaminants such as bacteria or parasites or sewage and fecal matter could/would be a concern. It just doesn't seem like a good healthy practice to expose yourself needlessly to such water.

So a fresh creek of sparkling clear water it certainly is not. But my other point is this.... I had the reaction before I knew it was the source of water for the sprinklers.

Interestingly.

I never said I felt like vomiting. Having a "gut"reaction of having stomach upset or disturbance doesn't necessarily equate to having nausea. This negative reaction proved to be right in the "real world." Only after this negative reaction to exposure to the sprinkler spray for the first time and confronting the owner about it did I find that the water source of the sprinklers was the canal.

Well, that would go for any pollutant. Just because it gets sprayed around, you personally might only be exposed to a tiny amount.

This isn't like the movie, and to induce instant nausea it would have to be some pretty potent stuff at a very high concentration.

Understand, you can pretty safely empty an entire can of bug spray into a room and stand there quite safely. Most people won't have any reaction at all. 99.99999% of it falls on the floor.

Do it every day for a year and that is a different matter.

There are still major unanswered questions . One is what's in the water? Another is do you know what things you are allergic to? Those questions answered, if the water does have certain pollutants in it --- and plenty of natural untreated sources do --- then are contaminates within heath and legal standards? And there's then what to do to resolve the problem. A lot of effort that won't reach resolution easily or quickly. If you go that path, then you can contact the provincial office of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. Under some circumstances they might test your water. Then, not just CMU, also contact Mae Jo University.

I don't believe that you can start modifying the sprinkler system. Now, of course, is when water is

most needed. Some one or two have pointed out that, for much of the year, there shouldn't be nearly so much sprinkling. One additional thought about sprinkling. Why do it during the day when so much water evaporates?! If you and the owner reach some sort of negotiated settlement if the issue, think of that --- especially if you use public water.

It is regrettable that the situation is so soured. For peace of mind at this point it would seem moving is probably the best option. You seem to be the only one fighting this battle where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Firstly I would never stay in that property, it sounds like there are serious health hazards there plus the possibility that these unknown chemicals could be contaminating the main water supply.

My advice is; to tell your illegal property owning farang landlord who is running an illegal property renting business, that you want to leave a.s.a.p due to health hazards and you expert back any deposits due to you If the illegal farang property owner tries to give you a hard time, than inform him you intend to take legal action and if the illegal landlord ignores the warning, then hire the services of a reputable lawyer and have a lawyers letter sent directly to him. Explain in the lawyers letter that you want to see a work permit, company registration papers for the renting business, and 3 years audited accounts for the company, which if requested under the right authority you are entitled to inspect.

I know I can press "like"

How do I "GREATLY DISLIKE"?

You have no evidence of serious health hazards or even minute health hazards.

And f--- the lawyer's letter.

The guy's given you what sounds like a very decent place......you're lucky.

Work round it.

not to mention that the landlord is obvious Thai.

If "the owner" is happy for you to water the garden (and I must admit, I would be delighted), first check to see if there are any outside taps that run from the domestic water supply. If not, it is not too expensive to get two or three installed for his houses. Then go buy some good lengths of hose and say two or three sprinklers (you can get the plastic ones from most hardware shops such as HomePro). Most people close their doors and windows in the evening to keep the invading army of mossies out. You do likewise and turn on your sprinkler system. Job done, but you might want to have a medical as well to make sure that your immune and other systems are firing on all systems. Good luck!

goodness gracious! there's an automatic sprinkler system installed which just needs a different feed and not "some good lengths of hoses plus taps from most hardware stores" bah.gif

I'm assuming this gets resolved today, given that you're willing to pay for the water cost of using city water to water the garden. If the places next to you are also rented out then maybe those people will chip in. (We actually haven't heard yet if the people next door also have complaints or not.) But anyway, worst case is that you pay a bit more for clean water sprinkling. Great solution.

BTW, I would recommend to not permanently route the supply to city water, but put in a valve to allow you to select between the two. This because chances are the water quality is near the worst this time of year in the dry season. In the rainy season there will be loads more water in the creek, which may significantly reduce the problem. Then come June or so you might give the creek water a try again.

And if for any reason this does not get solved today then just move out before the end of the month, walking away from your deposit.

Either way this gets resolved this week. And the drama ends.

Thx for reading what I have decided to do. I agree it is a good solution. Still waiting for the broker to come to have the meeting. I agree with you on every point. For responses like yours is the reason I posted on Thaivisa. Never thought of the valve. Clever. And true about the rainy season. The valve gives more control.

You certainly prove the value of this forum.

I know this is Thailand and I know Western rules do not apply in many cases but in many places in the world connecting that city water with the Klong water via a valve system would not be allowed due to the risk of contamination of the city water supply. A special check valve can be used in some cases. In Thailand they might not follow that policy but if they happened to think of it they would hold you up for lots of cash I bet.

now we have reached the hair-splitting level even though you mentioned the simple solution (check-valve).

now we have reached the hair-splitting level even though you mentioned the simple solution (check-valve).

Naam's right.

We need some drama.

Can you smack the landlord in the mouth with a 50 page chemical analysis?

Or push him in the laamuang, saying

"See if you think it's clean now, sucker?"

• Like 1

Out of interest, do your neighbours have anything to say about this or are you just hypersensitive and guilty of not doing your homework?

My two neighbors are both sick right now. One is "recovering" and looks a little like death warmed over. His wife was too tired to stand. (No kidding.) Yet they are failing to put two and two together. This is not rocket science guys. I have personally moved out and is not sleeping there anymore. I will move my things Sunday. I was nicely given the option of moving out with a portion of my deposit. I took it. Amazingly a friend emailed me a few days ago telling me of a property of his that was available. I didn't see the email right away because i was preoccupied and not checking my mail. I saw his place and found it adequate and accepted it. I am there now and breathing comfortably and feeling happy after having a few beers. .

All is well that ends well.

Edited by AgentOkeyDokey

Out of interest, do your neighbours have anything to say about this or are you just hypersensitive and guilty of not doing your homework?

My two neighbors are both sick right now. One is "recovering" and looks a little like death warmed over. His wife was too tired to stand. (No kidding.) Yet they are failing to put two and two together. This is not rocket science guys. I have personally moved out and is not sleeping there anymore. I will move my things Sunday. I was nicely given the option of moving out with a portion of my deposit. I took it. Amazingly a friend emailed me a few days ago telling me of a property of his that was available. I didn't see the email right away because i was preoccupied and not checking my mail. I saw his place and found it adequate and accepted it. I am there now and breathing comfortably and feeling happy after having a few beers. .

Did you explain your theory to your two sick neighbours? If so, how did they respond? And will you tell them that getting away from it has got rid of the symptoms?

• Like 1

Did you explain your theory to your two sick neighbours? If so, how did they respond? And will you tell them that getting away from it has got rid of the symptoms?

Yes I did. Their response was odd. Agreeing and nonplused. My prediction is if their illnesses continue and/or return with some frequency and a symptom being the same apparent lack of vitality that I saw in them; that they will think harder about what I have said to them. The seed has been planted. It is their life.

I know this is Thailand and I know Western rules do not apply in many cases but in many places in the world connecting that city water with the Klong water via a valve system would not be allowed due to the risk of contamination of the city water supply. A special check valve can be used in some cases. In Thailand they might not follow that policy but if they happened to think of it they would hold you up for lots of cash I bet.

Most places it is a bit more complicated than a simple check valve. Again this is Thailand so this may not apply but as a minimum double check valves are needed with spring loading. As a maximum a Reduced Pressure Zone Device needs to be used. The problem is this double check valve rule may very well be on the books but not enforced until something happens and someone figures out they can make some tea money off it. Hair splitting right now maybe but if problems happen it could be bank account busting. The issue is contamination of the city water supply system as you know.

Edited by rotary
  • Like 1

Yes I did. Their response was odd. Agreeing and nonplused. My prediction is if their illnesses continue and/or return with some frequency and a symptom being the same apparent lack of vitality that I saw in them; that they will think harder about what I have said to them. The seed has been planted. It is their life.

And so, I suppose, this unhappy situation has come to an end.

• 2 weeks later...