Baht bus

Fabulousheart

I have had a few very bad experiences on baht bus driving recently. They drive way to fast for the traffic and slam on there breaks and everyone goes flying. Last night a elderly Russian women went flying into the front of the bus. I understand they are trying to make more money but if they start driving like the van drivers then public transportation will no longer be an option. I said something to the driver and asked him to slow down that people can get very hurt. Two days ago same experience drives like a maniac and slams on his breaks multiple times making every one lunge forward and those standing on the end one person hit there head hard. Previously they use to drive safely but now it seems to be happening with some increased frequency the very fast and slam on brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any increase in such insane driving behavior. A certain percentage of the drivers have been driving that way for years. Yes, my feeling is they have emotional problems and rage issues, hate their lives (understandably I suppose), and are taking it out on their passenger victims. Also some of course must be on drugs, yaba most likely, just statistically speaking, and also I suppose predictable for that type of job. My guess on the percentage of drivers like that in my experience is about 25 percent. Not that high, but still TOO HIGH! Also, yes it does probably increase somewhat in HIGH season.

Also of course, be very careful with disrespecting any baht bus driver, ESPECIALLY the insane drivers because they've already told you they're trouble with their driving style. In other words, don't question their fare demands even if they're scamming or kicked off all the bus way before the end of an expected route, never say the F word or use the finger, don't throw the money at them, etc. even if WELL deserved. That or I hope you have good health insurance.

Edited by Jingthing

I haven't noticed any increase in such insane driving behavior. A certain percentage of the drivers have been driving that way for years. Yes, my feeling is they have emotional problems and rage issues, hate their lives (understandably I suppose), and are taking it out on their passenger victims. Also some of course must be on drugs, yaba most likely, just statistically speaking, and also I suppose predictable for that type of job. My guess on the percentage of drivers like that in my experience is about 25 percent. Not that high, but still TOO HIGH! Also, yes it does probably increase somewhat in HIGH season.

Also of course, be very careful with disrespecting any baht bus driver, ESPECIALLY the insane drivers because they've already told you they're trouble with their driving style. In other words, don't question their fare demands even if they're scamming or kicked off all the bus way before the end of an expected route, never say the F word or use the finger, don't throw the money at them, etc. even if WELL deserved. That or I hope you have good health insurance.

I kind of agree with you and it isn't bad advice, but are you suggesting that we should all be scared of baht bus drivers? If I have a problem with one of them I will tell them, but you carry on being a little lamb all of your life, that's not for me though.

Actually my phone was pick pocketed on the ride two days ago when a Russian women fell on my lap and she got off right after she fell with my phone. When I reached into my pocket to pay for the ride the cover was there with no phone and it was not on the bus. It was in pocket at beginning of ride and gone by the end of it. Thankfully my wallet was in a zipper pocket.

I kind of agree with you and it isn't bad advice, but are you suggesting that we should all be scared of baht bus drivers? If I have a problem with one of them I will tell them, but you carry on being a little lamb all of your life, that's not for me though.

Well, honestly, I really don't ALWAYS follow my own advice on passively accepting any abuse from the drivers, but I am totally convinced it is good advice nonetheless.crying.gif Also keep in mind some really are armed at least with bats, some probably with knives or even guns, and they have LOTS of friends.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

When will Thailand focus on all of our safety. How many people die every day here because of safety issues?

The smart money is on never.

In any case, no matter how bad the baht bus drivers are, it's still WAY SAFER than motorbikes!

Edited by Jingthing

Jing the point is that this is acceptable behavior. The way for this to change is for customers to stand up and say no more with there wallets! Don't you get tired of accepting totally unacceptable behavior every day. From crazy van drivers, to motorbikes taking short cuts on sidewalks, to baht bus driving fast and slamming breaks, to holes six feet deep in sidewalks for a year or more, to live electric wires hanging down, to open sewers running into the beach water, to pick pockets, and the list can go on and on. This can be a great international community but quality and safety are compromised in every area of life here. Just try to cross the road anywhere

Either accept it, go insane thinking you have any power to change it (Thais don't even seem to care, and it is THEIR country), or of course leave. I am already crazy enough (people keep telling me that so I tend to believe them), and I am not ready YET to leave. So I accept it which is not the same thing as delusionally thinking things are rosy when they definitely are not.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Also it is because of that level of acceptance that the problem continues. I am suggesting advocating confrontation what I am suggesting is money is what they respond to therefor impact them financially. Your comment about it is there country is very naive. Who's country is it? The rice farmers? The Muslims in the south? All of the Cambodians and Burmese here working for slave labor?

I believe the OP must have arrived via the Airport so will know where it is for his departure. You chose to live here.............

I wouldn't say that but I would say don't drive yourself crazy over things that you have no remote chance of impacting.

Yes I do kvetch here about baht bus problems but I'm not delusional about being able to change anything here.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder who pays for the gas/petrol? If the baht bus drivers pay adaily fee to rent the baht bus and also pay for the gas, then they are stupid to drive fast and slam on their breaks and speed off again--that just lowers gas mileage and cost them money. There have been so many times that I wanted to kick the shit out of them and started to do so on two occassions, but that is not something most (if any) of us should do. Many of them are psychotic, angry, violent ass%$^es with the same type of friends who love beating up on farangs--the older and more defenseless the better. Avoid confrontations with them. It is foolish to think that farangs are going to change stupid Thai behavior.

Same thing (as the OPs incident) happened to me yesterday, coming from Pattaya North Road bus station. Once the driver got onto Beach, he drove like a maniac. Then he cut the route and went up Klang, which pist off 5-6 passengers, one of whom, Thai, rang the bell angrily. Really. We all had to get off. I looked at the driver and he was not in the "mood" to be dealt with. Cutting the route to go up Klang has happened more often.

I certainly would not recommend that you express your unhappiness directly to the driver. That one act could be the one that turns a restrained driver into a homicidal maniac. Thais don't like it either but there's nothing they can do except mutter something to you as you walk away from the incident.

I just saw the funniest report on a meeting that the vice mayor had with several business Asher's about severe decline I tourism for pattaya. They summed it up to prostitutes on beach road was the problem lol. Nothing about horrible infrastructure, many safety issues,poor air and environmental quality issues. Open sewers or sidewalk with six got holes of dirty smelly areas everywhere. The significant decline is because of prostitutes on beach road according yo yo rims board. Rediculous

• Like 1

While I do understand you, I bet even the tough guys spend the 2 seconds between a gun being aimed at them and the trigger being pulled, wishing they had taken Jingthing's advice :-)

• Like 1

Oops, this info was meant for another baht bus thread about Naklua fares, but what the heck, its still good info:

It has never happened to me that a bus boarded on Naklua road does not continue south onto Beach Road. Yes they need to do a U-turn on North Road and I'm sure that freaks out newbies. Not saying it doesn't EVER happen. They will almost always go on through to Walking Street though fairly often in high traffic will turn left a few blocks north of Walking Street. The baht bus system is a situational system. There are probabilities. Never guarantees.

Edited by Jingthing

Fabulousheart isn't your other account then, JT?

That's

Thats for sure.

Please take care not to radically and INTENTIONALLY alter the meaning of QUOTED posts of others, as you just did with mine. Cheers, buddy.

Edited by Jingthing

No I am not jt. It is unfortunate when people deflect from conversations that shed light on significant issues in Thailand. One of my Thai friends said the baht busses have to pay a fee of 3 million baht for license and only good for 3 years. I do not know if that is true