Thai Voip Telephone Number

joanth

Hello All,

I am looking for a Bangkok based Thai VOIP Telephone number.

I want that to add that number in my VOIP router (Router could be placed anywhere in the world) so that my Thai relatives can call me using a Bangkok telephone number and my phone will ring at my foreign home.

Does anyone know a supplier?

Cheers Jos

Sorry, but I don't think you'll find one...

Last I heard, VOIP was "technically illegal" in Thailand, so I don't think you'll find anyone supplying a VOIP service with a Thai telephone number.

Skype seems to work fairly well, but I know my own Vonage doesn't really like the True internet connection. (I believe the problem is the reliability of the internet connection between the Vonage router and their HQ's servers - i.e. that you get more disconnects between you and Vonage in a week (maybe a day) in Thailand, than I had in 6 months in Tokyo.) The actual speed of the connection isn't an issue- i.e. my Vonage usually works fine in Thailand if I reboot my Vonage router when I have a problem dialling out, but that doesn't make it much good for receiving calls. (and you're guaranteed at least one disconnect a day, if not several).

(To be honest - it's as if the ISPs here had designed their internet service so that Vonage wouldn't work reliably...)

Personally - I'd recommend trying out Skype (assuming the people that want to call you have PCs and Internet access). The alternative is two Vonage boxes - one in Thailand, and one that you take with you on your own travels, but see what I said above about my own experience with Thai internet connections. (I've only used Vonage in the UK, Thailand and Japan, and in the UK and Japan, it works perfectly).

- That's assuming the issue is the cost of calling.

If the issue is really one of being able to contact you when you're travelling, then Vonage (depending on the countries you're travelling in), or a SkypeIn number make sense. (If only Thailand was one of the countries you could get a SkypeIn number for...)

Edited by bkk_mike

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

I want that to add that number in my VOIP router (Router could be placed anywhere in the world) so that my Thai relatives can call me using a Bangkok telephone number and my phone will ring at my foreign home.

To what I know there’s no Bangkok base VOIP numbers. There are numerals providers to choose from. One is unlimited calling by paying low monthly flat rate calling 27 countries including cell/mobiles on certain country. We are conducting surveys for Thailand, positive results with good sound qualities & clarities working well on any Hi-speed broadband providers from Thailand. :o

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm Massimo from Italy (sorry for my eng..)

I see this page, and i think possibile have "virtual number" Thai,

bud have 1 problem, the page it's Written in Thai..

i give link: http://www.ck-global.com/index.php?mode=bvpn

possible some people tell more for this service?

Thanks

Massimo

http://www.patong.it

Hello All,

Cheers Jos

VOIP isn't illegal in Thailand, there are many companies including very large ones (even True offers it) currently. From what I last heard my friend who lives in Japan has an 02 (Bangkok) incoming number provided by Cat2Call.

Personally, I bought a Linksys SPA3102 box which has 1 FXO port (and 1 FXS port). What an FXO port does is it takes in an analogue line and convert that into VoIP data. I have my Bangkok number running in my room in the UK, voice quality is quite good apart from the quiet echo you get from the SPA3102 itself (it's quite a cheap device ~2500THB so it doesnt have a built in echo canceller).

Paveet, that's a bit too technical for me but I would like to understand how it works. Is your Linksys SPA3102 box in Thailand, and permanently connected to the Internet?

--

Maestro

Yeah, this is one of the reason this may not be practical for someone who doesnt already have the infrastructure at home (or office) to do it. Your line would be as reliable as your internet connection, electrical supply etc.

For me:

TRUE ANALOGUE NORMAL PHONE LINE <--> SPA3102 <--> SWITCHING HUB/ROUTER <--> INTERNET

This was posted earlier:

http://www.ck-global.com/index.php?mode=bvpn

that does indeed say you can get a Thai number (I assume 02) with those plans.

Pavee

Ciao Paveet

thanks for answer, I use Fritz! Box 7050,

possible u tell me some company voip u know, before i chek web site Cat2Call, bud i don't see opttion "virtual number".

Thanks so much

Massimo

VOIP isn't illegal in Thailand, there are many companies including very large ones (even True offers it) currently. From what I last heard my friend who lives in Japan has an 02 (Bangkok) incoming number provided by Cat2Call.

Personally, I bought a Linksys SPA3102 box which has 1 FXO port (and 1 FXS port). What an FXO port does is it takes in an analogue line and convert that into VoIP data. I have my Bangkok number running in my room in the UK, voice quality is quite good apart from the quiet echo you get from the SPA3102 itself (it's quite a cheap device ~2500THB so it doesnt have a built in echo canceller).

The only company that can currently supply this service is CAT Telecom. Do a search for CAT2Call. You'll find them.

CAT can supply a 02 number on an account. You carry the adapter with you wherever you go, plug in a normal analog phone, and it rings whenever someone calls the analog number. The only problem with this service is the fact that it is supplied by CAT. They're not exactly known for their stunning customer service. It also isn't advertised that this is possible, so you have to call them and talk to them in person. You're looking for a normal account with an incoming telephone number so you can receive calls as well as make them.

Lots of other providers are trying to do this same thing. In fact, the entire 06 number range has been set aside for local VoIP providers to offer numbers. Unfortunately, while you can apply for these numbers as an operator, Thai politics has made it impossible to get the numbers routed to your switch. There is no telling when someone other than CAT will be able to offer this. Could be next month, or it could be next year. You just never know. The last government was dedicated to making changes in the telecom arena, and for all their other failings did at least make an attempt. This government? Remains to be seen....

There are numerous companies - have used GRN before. Google "voip termination proper thailand" Will show you a list of available. Best to buy in the wholesale market as it is cheaper, can usually still purchase one DN at a time.

proper refers to landlines instead of mobiles - Most companies that offer termination will also provide DID numbers (usually marketed as virtual number).

edit:

DN - Directory number

DID - direct inward dialing

Edited by dsys

http://www.ck-global.com/index.php?mode=bvpn

that does indeed say you can get a Thai number (I assume 02) with those plans.

Pavee

From what I can tell, what they mean by "virtual number" is that they have a single local access number in Bangkok. Someone can call that access number, and then DTMF in your "virtual number" similar to how you would dial an extension in a PBX at a large company.

It is not a real 02 number. Only Cat2Call has the ability to offer you a real DID. Yes, there are some ridiculously overpriced people on the net reselling True numbers for $20+ USD per month, but those don't really count. At those prices I'll give you a number myself. You can PM me if you'd like an expensive BKK number. :o

Just call CAT Telecom and ask to sign up for Cat2Call. Make sure to ask them about "incoming calls" and that you need a Bangkok number. This is the only service that can give it to you.

VOIP--if you use a USA based company in another country that they don't license it for use there then you are in violation of the license agreement. Plus, there are US laws that restrict this usage as well but not enforced. Packet 8 and lingo work well over here... you can get virtual numbers in many countries but Thailand is not one of them. There was a company called (not sure of the name) Asian telecom that offered a service with a bangkok number... but there was a problem because it bypassed the charges that they get for local calls so its no longer around... either shut down or went out of business. Would love to get a virtual number in bangkok as well... tied to a sip box ... so I could use it in Chiang Mai to bypass the phone charges between cites. Please let me know if you find any company that does this.

Edited by swain

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but when I googled for DID numbers Bangkok, this was one of the main hits.

I know it will probably not as easy as in the UK or the US, where DID numbers are completely free incomming, but if possible and if not too expensive, a bangkok based DID number (02) would be a major cost saving, as I could dial in to my asterisk box back in the Netherlands and use a local sip provider to place calls.

Rainman, how much does CAT charge for 02 Did numbers, and how reliable are their services ?

As the founder of this Topic:

All you need is a Thai Internet provider that also delivers VOIP telephone functionality.

The internet service has to fixed broadband, not modem dail-up.

So at the location of your house (of that or your relatives) broadband has to be available.

In all the discussions in this Topic everybody is talking about DID numbers.

DID numbers are not important if there is not THAI SIP provider that connects you to the common Thai PBAX telephone network.

You're Thai Broadband provider can be your Thai SIP provider to.

On the site of your ISP you can look if this is one of their products.

At my house there is no broadband possible yet, because of an old telephonecentral.

If have to find someone that has ISP but does not use his of hers VOIP functionality.

I have to give him of her money to use this part of his of hers contract.

kind rergards

Jos

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...195053&st=0

As I mentioned they want you to set up a SIP account.

Maybe not VOIP, but I bought some minutes for CATs 1544 service....2 baht a minute to the USA, a bit more elsewhere....competitive with Skypeout, and I don't need to be on the computer. I've used it several times so far and all but once the connection has been very good. Now driving to work I can talk to family on my handsfree. :o

http://www.thaitelephone.com/EN/Products/CAT/index.php

"All you need is a Thai Internet provider that also delivers VOIP telephone functionality.

The internet service has to fixed broadband, not modem dail-up.

So at the location of your house (of that or your relatives) broadband has to be available."

Right, let me explain what I want to achieve:

I want to have a local Bangkok number, that of course is reachable on the public network, this number would then be linked straight into my asterisk server back in the Netherlands, where based upon the DID, the call is forwarded to my Exchange Unified Messaging server, there I would login to check my email/voicemail, but more importantly, where I can dial any of my contacts in my personal directory). These contacts are then dialled by Exchange UM, via my asterisk server, which will dial using a local (Dutch) SIP provider, that has great rates (obviously) for local calls in the Netherlands, but also great rates to other countries.

I have the same setup currently working in the UK and in the US, so if I am in any of these countries, and I want to call someone in the Netherlands, I merely dial the local number, and then dial out using Exchange UM/Asterisk.

But I have received a PM where the monthly charge was quoted at 399 baht, that's a bit much for such a service, back in the Netherlands, this would be the yearly rate, in the UK and the US, there is no rate for a DID.

Edited by sjaak327

try www.deecall.com if you go from there to their Swasdeeshop main web site, they were saying their the only 100& pure voip company in thailand, which is set up and configured for international quality calls.

I think they now have SIP capabilities, I noticed that on main web site today.

I have it, & the call quality has been pretty good. You can also access your VOIP account from your Thai mobile number, which is a great idea. (deedial.com is a pay as you go version of deecall.com deedial rates marginally more expensive).

Check it out...

I also use Skype Out (Skype In too ) for international calls to Europe. Skype quality has seemed to improve strong this year. (And use an Ireland based VOIP co, more so for inbound calls, which normally I transfer to call answering service in Ireland, I can use them for outbound from Thailand. However in Ireland quality is excellent with them. if net is slow in thailand, & all the call about 12 gateways to pass through from here to Europe can pull down the quality of the voip call in general.)

This deecall.com seems the best so far, & I am using a cheap telephone headset. ( I assume when I get decent telephone handset, the deecall.com voip will be better quality ).

VOIP--if you use a USA based company in another country that they don't license it for use there then you are in violation of the license agreement. Plus, there are US laws that restrict this usage as well but not enforced. Packet 8 and lingo work well over here... you can get virtual numbers in many countries but Thailand is not one of them. There was a company called (not sure of the name) Asian telecom that offered a service with a bangkok number... but there was a problem because it bypassed the charges that they get for local calls so its no longer around... either shut down or went out of business. Would love to get a virtual number in bangkok as well... tied to a sip box ... so I could use it in Chiang Mai to bypass the phone charges between cites. Please let me know if you find any company that does this.

Have a look at http://www.asterisk.org/ could do that youself if you're inclined to it :o

Gizmo offer open standards SIPPhone inbound calling.. Not sure if they have a BKK inbound routing but assume so as they have outbound cheaply into Thailand.

Gizmo is based on open standards so for a corporate situation its a better choice than skype IMO.. Also very nice gizmo on mobiles features too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also want to get a local Bangkok DID number. Suretelekom is a little bit pricy with 40USD per months. How about the rates at cat2call?

I have two cat2call questions

- Does cat2call has a similar forwarding service like Skype, i.e. if somebody calls the DID number, then the call is forwarded to a mobile or landline?

- Can this also be used for Fax?

Michael

Seems you need to have a Thai ID to register online, although they are obviously happy to have foreigners subscribe to the service.

If you are using a SIP device, have you managed to test faxing domestically? I realize this is not technically FOIP but it should work in a similar manner...

• 7 months later...

i want start to use this one bahtcall.com

what they say on their website

BahtCall lets you keep in touch like never before. Establish a Phone Number wherever your friends, family, or customers live and they can call you for the price of a local call. Whether they're around the corner, across the country or across the world, your family and friends can call you with no long distance fees.

How It Works

BahtCall Phone Numbers are inexpensive and easy to use. You can choose to have more than one number in locations around the corner or around the globe. Your numbers can ring to your BahtCall line or any other phone you choose using our free Call Forwarding feature (per minute fees may apply).

For Example

You live in Bangkok. Your mum lives in London, UK. You could get a virtual phone number with a London area code that rings to your BahtCall line. Now mum doesn't have to pay long distance charges when she calls you. Remember BahtCall also offers Phone Numbers worldwide so you can receive calls from friends and family from in any location we offer.

• 1 year later...

TOT netcall (http://www.totnetcall.com) supports softphone and SIP device with a Thai phone number. Current promotion is 1 baht per minute to EU, US and OZ. Quality is good. They have a 30 minute FREE trial.

any new info on getting a Thailand number. I done some searching ad seems hard to find. it would be nice to get calls on my iphone while out of the country

• 4 months later...

Strange enough I can call now my netcall 060xxxxx number from my TT&T landline but when Intry it from mt DTAC mobile it tells me that the number is not in use yet. Any ideas or experiences?

• 2 months later...

I found this thread searching Google. Is anybody able to tell me if there are any new options or services? I would like to setup a Thailand SIP number for using within the USA to call Thailand, or to receive a call from Thailand.

In the past, I have signed up with various pay services, and didn't always use up my minutes. is there anything that is via the internet that is completely free or extremely cheap? Perhaps one that I don't need to pay 10 -15 USA dollars?

Is anybody familiar with this one: http://www.truenettalk.com/truenettalk/en/about_truenettalk/what_is_truenettalk.html

Edited by JoshuaCaleb