US ambassador to remain in post until term completed: US Embassy Bangkok

webfact

POLITICS
US ambassador to remain in post until term completed: US Embassy

30227635-01_big.jpg
File photo : Kenney

BANGKOK: -- US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney on Monday dismissed as untrue rumours that she was to be reassigned to South Korea.

Kenney was answering questions posted to her Twitter account, @KristieKenney, regarding unconfirmed reports that she would send be completing her term in Thailand soon and would be replaced James Zumwalt, deputy assistant secretary of state for East Asia and Pacific affairs.

Rumours had gone viral on the social network, some of them saying she was being abruptly removed from the position due to her alleged intervention in the political tensions in Thailand.

Antigovernment protesters earlier rallied in front of the embassy and called on the US government to transfer her as she always sided with the government.

Meanwhile the US embassy tweeted, "US ambassador Kristie Kenney won't be leaving her posting until later this year and remains very focused on her responsibilities in Thailand."

The next US ambassador to Thailand has not yet been nominated by the US President or confirmed by the US Senate, the tweet read.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-24

US Embassy denies rumor of Ambassador Kenney’s transfer to Korea

BANGKOK, 24 February 2014 (NNT) – The speculation over the transfer of US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney to South Korea has been disregarded as false by the US Embassy.

In a phone interview, Spokesman for the US Embassy in Bangkok Walter Braunohler confirmed that Mrs Kenney would continue her duty as Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand. The statement was issued in the wake of a rumor in the social media that the ambassador had been moved to the Republic of Korea. The rumor also cited Mr James Zumwalt, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs, as the incoming ambassador.

Mr Braunohler admitted that Mrs Kenney, who became Ambassador to Thailand in January 2011, had already reached the usual 3-year ambassadorial term. However, he said no candidates had been proposed by President Barack Obama to the Senate as her replacement.

In her Twitter comment regarding the rumor, Mrs Kenney said “Someone had a really good imagination.”

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-24 footer_n.gif

It's a bad photo, granted, but she seems to be a decent enough ambassador. I've seen her on Thai TV a couple times and she's always come off really well, speaks enough Thai to joke around with the hosts, etc. Granted these are all fluff pieces but what more is required of an ambassador, really?

Didn't the last US Ambassador high tail it out of town when the wikileaks revelations about Thai politics?

No, he left after his 17 year old daughter died in a accident in New York.

Do you execute these misdirections of yours on your own initiative ? Out of ignorance ?

Or do you actually travel on one of those whiz-bang Disneyland passports ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

The rich elite establishment believe everyone should do their bidding , The US government is not the EC or Courts, they belong to a Democratic government that knows how to abide by the Rule of Law, in the US your baht isn't worth more than a farmers Baht!

Cheers

Don't you ever give it a rest? bah.gif

You seem to forget exactly which rich elites are dictating just now.

Hey you do not have to read my post, makes no difference to me, there is an ignore function all you have to do is put me on that list Presto, I am still here but you can't see me!

Cheers

• Like 2

Didn't the last US Ambassador high tail it out of town when the wikileaks revelations about Thai politics?

No, he left after his 17 year old daughter died in a accident in New York.

Do you execute these misdirections of yours on your own initiative ? Out of ignorance ?

Or do you actually travel on one of those whiz-bang Disneyland passports ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nicole-john-daughter-ambassador-thailand-eric-john-posts-blur-plunge-article-1.200740

Only nieve think that US Ambasadors are just transfered out because some persons or groups in a particular Country may imply improper medling or comments that they try to "Spin" or don't agree with.

US Ambasadors speak only on behalf of the Government of the USA and don't go out on their own and make personal public comments about Foreign Affairs.

As this article says; US Ambasadors are Nominated and assignd by the President of the USA and confirmed by the US Senate.

The Ambasador would not be arbitrarily reassigned.

Well, if she does go, she may come back as US ambassador to North Thailand in the near future.

Go to sleep knowing that everyone thinks your so cool.

(I respect your broken record stick2itveness)

I tell my wife I am the Man...and even I begin to believe it.

Keep on keeping on, Red Joe

For all the BS floating back and forth in this thread, and the lead of the OP being the denial of Kenney being moved to South Korea, the OP nonetheless included the following:

Meanwhile the US embassy tweeted, "US ambassador Kristie Kenney won't be leaving her posting until later this year

So basically, they're confirming she'll be remaining in Thailand for less than a coming year -- subject of course to the vagaries of political winds.

I think it's pretty safe to assume anytime the U.S. foreign service knows one of their Ambassadors is going to be finishing their term, the vetting and consideration of a replacement starts well ahead of time.

• Like 1

Ambassadors are representatives of their governments, not policy makers. Whatever positions she is taking, they are on instructions from Washington, not a personal initiative by her.

Well replaced (if true or if circulated to discredit her) would mean that she did to much personal initiative herself instead of following Washington instructions.

(Or Washington instructed wrong and let it look as it was only her).

But I doubt it.....seems more like a rumor....

Ambassadors are representatives of their governments, not policy makers. Whatever positions she is taking, they are on instructions from Washington, not a personal initiative by her.

Well replaced (if true or if circulated to discredit her) would mean that she did to much personal initiative herself instead of following Washington instructions.

(Or Washington instructed wrong and let it look as it was only her).

But I doubt it.....seems more like a rumor....

Did you read post #18 by Publicus? The ambassador has finished her three year appointment and is temporarily staying on to have an experienced hand during the turmoil.

U.S. ambassador appointments are never permanent. I assume the same is true for most other countries.

Her predecessor was replaced early wasn't he? Something about arranging a meeting with Khunying Potjaman or someone for a visiting bigwig from the State Department when Abhisit was PM.

If you check here you'll see he served a little under three years, which seems to be the standard tour.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/relation/175usth/timeline-of-u/american-ambassadors-to-thailand.html

I haven't found anything that indicates a scandal or diplomatic problem leading to an early departure. If you find evidence to the contrary I'm sure there are many who would like to read about it.

The sooner she leaves the better, in fact the sooner Obama leaves the better. I am sure both of these are meddling in things they should not. Look at that snooping thing with Germany. Carter move over, you have competition in the history books.