New Alcohol Control Bill To Be Put For Public Hearing

george

So where can I pick up a surplus Tiger outfit?

I've got to agree that the Tiger promotional uniform is much more attractive than the Heinekin or Singha uniforms... :o

Even though the cut is probably the same as the others... the colours and shapes have a way of wrapping around curves very nicely... :D

That is about the most sensible rationale I've heard in ages.

awwwww......... nice photos not copied due to inadequacies of tv's system of quoting posted photos.... :D

Seconded

ft-SINGHA_003.jpg

Gentlemen, gentlemen... while appreciative of your efforts thus far... the task is far from complete.

For without the aforementioned correctly-identified, best-looking-of-all Tiger beer girl photo, this album is incomplete.

For without the creme de le creme, the icon of beer fashion ware... the hottest of the hot...

your contributions are inadequate....

So get out there and capture us a TIGER GIRL with your lens..... let's see these alluring threads as they were meant to entice...

Tiger....

TIGER....

TIGER>>>>

TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T I G E R ! ! !

Edited by sriracha john

Trying to be serious here,

Just how bad is the alcohol problem in Thailand? I've been here for 8 years and in my opinion it's not too much to worry about. There are exceptions, but there are everywhere.

Alcohol is a drug and it makes you behave differently. That is inherently the situation that this country is faced with.

Thay don't like critism, they don't like "anti-social behaviour", basically they don't like anything that goes against the norm.

Now they've got a problem. Again, back to my first question, just how bad is it?

It's terrible!!

Khon Kaen, where I live has the highest rate of liver disease in the World - yes, no 1.

Speak to a doctor at A&E about it. One told me that 9 out of 10 accidents at night are caused by alcohol.

Thai people don't want to admit the problem, especially the doctors, as their egos are too big to accept that they can't do anything about alcoholism.

I work volantarily in a HUGE treatment facility and believe me it is bad.

Beer co's shouldn't be able to advertise but not for the children's sake but rather due to Thai beer products being flat out lousy

Monochaser as someone who thinks Bud is a good beer you should chose a different criteria for advocating banning beer advertising. I would happily use your criteria for most beer I have tried in USA when I lived there :o .

no comment on whatever new policies or whatever. can we turn this into a "pretty beer gals pictures" thread instead??? lets get the tigerbeer gals out here since their outfits wrap the curve well and all the way Jai Dee mentioned. i know by my nick, i should have some but ! unfortunately not.

For without the aforementioned correctly-identified, best-looking-of-all Tiger beer girl photo, this album is incomplete.

For without the creme de le creme, the icon of beer fashion ware... the hottest of the hot...

I concur 100% SJ... :D

Surely the Bangkok Herald-Examiner has a few appropriate photos in the archives... :o

There's no way in hel_l that the inept Thai government is going to be able to limit the consumption of alcohol, but they could make drinking beer difficult. I'm sure however, that the Thais will find a way around that.

Let's face it, it's the Wild Wild East here. That's partly what draws some of us here. Crazy driving, Thai male ego, racism and other issues are unfortunately part of the package. But, so are the pretty girlies.

Of course the government has done it's bit to cut down drinking. Before 11am and in between 2 & 5 you cannot buy beer..................UNLESS YOU BUY TWO CASES OR MORE.

That is so Thai, it might as well have a twenty foot sign on it reading 'I'm Thai, I thought that one up'

[i've got to agree that the Tiger promotional uniform is much more attractive than the Heinekin or Singha uniforms...

Cheers JD ....I always knew I was attractive in that off-beat way :o

Hey Lampman...You're a real problem drinker....You were so drunk last night, that you dropped me 3 times on the way home :D

[i've got to agree that the Tiger promotional uniform is much more attractive than the Heinekin or Singha uniforms...

Cheers JD ....I always knew I was attractive in that off-beat way :D

Hey Lampman...You're a real problem drinker....You were so drunk last night, that you dropped me 3 times on the way home :D

And you must have been pissed..............I could see three of you :o

I concur 100% SJ... :D

Surely the Bangkok Herald-Examiner has a few appropriate photos in the archives... :o

hahaha.... that's why I was asking you, of course...

there was one Tiger beer girl in Sriracha that would have been an OUTSTANDING example of the perfect beer girl... simply left everyone in attendance awestruck... with that mouth-dropping effect on all who gazed upon her outfit... but alas, no photos... :D

a superficial search on the Net turns up nada...

but I'm sure a combined effort by all TV members can bring this necessary and mandatory addition to fruition....

Sorry but it's disconcerting and embarassing when some young thing has her private parts stuck in a man's face and his wife is sitting across the table.

Christ, the mind boggles! :o

I sincerely hope such old trouts wear knickers when they straddle the table. :D

Ugghhh, what a nasty thought... :D

Sorry but it's disconcerting and embarassing when some young thing has her private parts stuck in a man's face and his wife is sitting across the table.

I thought Id been in some iffy bars in my time , but now I see I've led a very sheltered life indeed.

:o

I thought Id been in some iffy bars in my time , but now I see I've led a very sheltered life indeed.

:o

I must aggree, where have i been all this time, not where Scott's going anyway thats for sure.

Where are those Tiger girl pic's anyway, I am trying to find some with no luck so far, If i get hold of one then i will post it.

Ling Noi

Speak to a doctor at A&E about it. One told me that 9 out of 10 accidents at night are caused by alcohol.

No they are caused by idiots that drink and drive, not alcohol. Why not outlaw cars? Or better yet let us outlaw idiots!!!

By the way the girls in previous post I consider ugly, therefore I think that they should be permitted to stay within that profession.

At the risk of becoming slightly serious, I suggest the following;

1. The limitation of alcohol OR the limitation of the sale of alcohol, will do nothing more than to increase the illegal drug trade (alcohol/non-alcohol related). Less bar jobs = more illicit 'jobs'.

2. An increase in that abhorant 'christian' sin of prostitution, as a result of the closing of bars. Less bar jobs = more illicit 'jobs'.

3. A slow decline in tourism. Oops! Forgot to mention an incline in 'do-gooder' tourism (yeah...they are good for any economy :o ).

Is there one person in the inane Thai government who is capable of even the slightest bit of lateral thinking?

Of course the government has done it's bit to cut down drinking. Before 11am and in between 2 & 5 you cannot buy beer..................UNLESS YOU BUY TWO CASES OR MORE.

That is so Thai, it might as well have a twenty foot sign on it reading 'I'm Thai, I thought that one up'

Actually lamps this has been the law in England since forever. The formerly draconian alcohol laws in England could always be circumvented by buying more than 10 litres of alcoholic beverages. Buying 10 litres or more was considered to be wholesale, thus bypassing the "retail licencing laws". Great minds think alike??....or fools seldom differ.....you choose.

regards

It's terrible!!

Khon Kaen, where I live has the highest rate of liver disease in the World - yes, no 1.

Thai people don't want to admit the problem, especially the doctors, as their egos are too big to accept that they can't do anything about alcoholism.

I work volantarily in a HUGE treatment facility and believe me it is bad.

Ermm....so any alcohol related accident is recorded as a liver related disease? Can you quote your sources? In my experience most Thai people with drink related problems are quite open about it. You have made some very wide ranging and vaguely accusatory statements. Thai doctors have got an alcohol problem? They are reluctant to admit a national problem that is out of control? Please tell us about this HUGE treatment facility that you belong to. I wait with bated anticipation. (and a bottle of chang) :o

regards

• 2 weeks later...

was finally able to shoot one of the endangered Tiger Beer Girls this past Saturday night.. (admittedly not a prime example of the species, but any newcomer should at least be able to get an idea about their attire)...

(additionally, she's of somewhat questionable loyalty to her brand as well what with the Heiniken button on her dress)...

when does this and other similar species become extinct exactly?

post-9005-1150085340_thumb.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Hmmm

JD's smart suggested compromise .....

Ban bilboards etc .... no sweat ....

Ban most promotions including "cute girls" ----

------Except in real bars/dicos etc ... that enforce the 20+ years old rule

This does sound ridiculous, and does not tackle the "problem". Most drinking "problems" in Thailand, IMHO, are from excessive drinking of Lao Khao and Sangsom in the villages - and a group of guys sitting in a circle on the floor in a small village are not responding to avertising. The advertising encourages beer (surely better than Lao Khao to avoid problems) and upmarket brands which I do not think are at the root of the social problems.

here here I agree

New alcohol control bill to be put for public hearing next month

BANGKOK: -- A new bill to entirely ban alcohol advertising and all forms of sales-promotion activities, including pretty girls, will go to a nationwide public hearing next month.

There is now a final draft of the Alcohol Consumption Control Bill, which will cover all aspects of the national control of alcohol consumption, said Dr Narong Sahamethapat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department.

The Bill took the Public Health Ministry a year to draft, he said.

Narong said the next step was to conduct a series of public hearings next month in eight provinces, representing all regions of the country.

--The Nation 2006-05-29

would the last drinker leaving the country please turn the lights out please :o

was finally able to shoot one of the endangered Tiger Beer Girls this past Saturday night.. (admittedly not a prime example of the species, but any newcomer should at least be able to get an idea about their attire)...

(additionally, she's of somewhat questionable loyalty to her brand as well what with the Heiniken button on her dress)...

when does this and other similar species become extinct exactly?

post-9005-1150085340_thumb.jpg

:D They become extinct at the age of 25. Nothing can be done to save them from this cycle. :D

Love those beer girls. Keep the photos coming fellow beer girl lovers! :o

They do make a big production about a lot of things. I have a friend who works in BKK and his wife has a shop upcountry in the home province--they sell, among other things, beer. They also have a small area for people to sit and drink. They know nothing about the restrictions on the sale of alcohol during the afternoons. No one ever told them, never received anything in writing etc. etc.

The first my friend ever heard of this law was when we were going out with some friends one afternoon and I told them it may be a problem because of the ban on drinking until after 5:00. He said it must only be for BKK. I told him it isn't.

• 2 months later...
ALCOHOL REFORM

Industry fears the worst from new law

Changes 'threaten businesses, jobs - won't solve nation's drinking problem'

The new law aimed at controlling alcohol consumption will make people drink more and destroy brewers and related businesses, people in various associated industries said yesterday.

Under the Alcohol Consumption Control bill, advertising, all forms of sales promotion activities, and the sale of alcohol to anyone under 25 would be banned.

Brewers said the law would turn their future in the international market into nothing more than a pipe dream, while advertisers said the law would affect sponsorship of social activities.

Anti-alcohol activists, however, insisted that a total ban on ads was needed for the sake of society.

Boonrawd Trading Co's marketing manager Chatchai Wiratyosin said the total ban on advertising could lead to heavy price-cutting campaigns by new and existing alcohol players which would stimulate greater consumption.

This would then lead to the major players having a monopoly in the market, as only the major players would survive a price war, he said.

"It seems to be good for a big player like us, but in fact it is dangerous. We would face difficulties selling brands internationally due to a lack of domestic marketing support," Chatchai said.

He said many big alcohol companies were now focusing on international markets as domestic sales growth had flattened out as a result of previous measures and laws aimed at controlling consumption.

Chatchai said the company had no problem with the increase in minimum drinking age or the restriction of sales channels.

"We have tried to point out the effects to the Public Health Ministry, which is the lawmaker, many times but our concerns have always been ignored," he said.

However, Boonrawd Trading would send representatives to attend the public hearing on the 20th of this month to repeat its concerns, he said.

Chaipranin Visudhipol, president of the Advertising Association of Thailand and TBWA (Thailand) managing director, said if the objective of the law was to make the nation drink less, a total ban on advertising would not help.

"It can be seen that lao khao [white liquor] is the top-seller without any advertising," he said. "It is also the main kind of alcohol consumed by drivers who have road accidents."

Besides affecting the Bt1-billion advertising budget of alcohol companies each year, the new bill will have a great effect on many useful activities sponsored by alcohol companies, such as sports, Chaipranin said.

Chaipranin said the current measures to restrict alcohol ads were sufficient. Only social advertising is allowed for all kinds of alcoholic drinks now and the ads have to be aired after 10pm, he said.

However, Songkran Takchokedee of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation's Stop Drinking Network insisted advertising caused an increase in new drinkers, especially youths.

Despite social ads, the advertisers used tricks to prompt sales via the ads by using gaps in the law, he said.

"Social advertising is more hazardous because it makes youths have a positive feeling towards drinking and the alcohol companies," he said.

According to research, it is clearly seen that every dollar spent on adverting generates a significant increase in new drinkers, Songkran said.

"Alcohol is more dangerous than tobacco, because while tobacco can only damage health, alcohol damages society and creates accidents and crime. So, it's unreasonable to forbid tobacco ads but allow them for alcohol," he said.

Recently, CP Seven Eleven Co pledged that the clause to ban alcohol promotions in shops that open more than 16 hours a day would severely affect its more than 3,000 branches that are open 24 hours.

Samarn Futrakul, from the Bureau of Non-Communicable Diseases, which oversees the drafting of the law, said enforcement of the bill would need time because it required approval from Parliament.

All sections of the bill could be revised after the hearing, Samarn said.

Chatrarat Kaewmorakot

The Nation

The Nation

I can't believe they're seriously planning to raise the minimum age for purchasing alcohol to 25. It's just one insane idea after another since Thaksin came to power. Total madness.