Thai AirAsia stresses it does not have ties with Shinawatra Family

webfact

Thai AirAsia stresses it does not have ties with Shinawatra Family

BANGKOK, 25 Feb 2014, (NNT) - Thai AirAsia has announced it has no ties with the Shinawatra family while indicating political unrest had scared off many of its Chinese customers and forced the airline to postpone the debut of its low cost arm Thai AirAsia X.

The statement was made by the carrier’s CEO Tassapon Bijleveld who pointed out that Shin Corporation had a majority of its shares back in 2004 when the airline was launched, while today, Thai AirAsia is 55% owned by Asia Aviation, and 45% owned by AirAsia International. He stressed the transparency of the airline’s ownership and operations, saying the details can be examined if need be.

Mr. Tassapon said that the airline spent 5 years buying back shares from Shin Corp., now known as InTouch Group which also has no relationship with the Shinawatra family. He said the carrier managed to do so by registering itself in the stock market in order to raise funds to pay its debts.

Meanwhile, the CEO said that since the eruption of political turmoil 4 months ago, the number of Thai AirAsia’s Chinese passengers had dropped by 30%, adding that it is now focusing on the Indonesian market in order to compensate for the loss. Mr. Tassapon also said that the political dispute had forced the airline to postpone the debut of its low cost airline, Thai AirAsia X, which was originally slated for February to March.

Mr. Tassapon gave assurances however that Thai AirAsia X would be established within the year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-25 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ChrisY1, on 25 Feb 2014 - 11:17, said:

The Shinawatra name is becoming quite toxic!.....

Now the big boys are running scared.

I said way back that the Shinawatra name would or could become toxic, although I think the bulk of the family Are very nice people, the only one that needs to address he's status is Thaskin

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

This daily stream of companies paint a picture of a massive reach of wealth and influence. And they are all now struggling to disassociate themselves from Thaksin - which one assumes can't be a particularly ego-building experience for him. Notwithstanding present ownership of Thai AirAsia, how could it be that a sitting prime minister could have had majority-share ownership of an international airline ?

• Like 1

At one point, Thaksin owned almost 50% of Air Asia. I would double check, if he is out of it, before believing the Air Asia Announcement.

That was another conflict of interest...owning almost half of Air Asia and then slowly demolishing Thai Airlines, the Government owned, once profitable corporation.

One thing that baffles me is, that Thai politicians don't even try very hard to hide their corrupt practices. I think, the US and Canadian Politicians, are just as corrupt, but they are doing a lot better job hiding it.

I did like the one commercial I seen on Blueskychannel.tv today, that showed some Government offical receiving the "brown envelope" from another person. Meanwhile a subordinate watches this and when the offical comes to give him the paper to process, the subordinate rips up the paper and the whole office is pointing their finger at the corrupt boss.

Commercials like that go a long ways in having the public stand up against corruption and actually exposing it at all levels.

Corruption is a cancer that festers in every level of society here. In the end, nobody really benefits from it. We all loose! wai2.gif

Really? When? Can you give us sources for this rumor please?

• Like 1

This daily stream of companies paint a picture of a massive reach of wealth and influence. And they are all now struggling to disassociate themselves from Thaksin - which one assumes can't be a particularly ego-building experience for him. Notwithstanding present ownership of Thai AirAsia, how could it be that a sitting prime minister could have had majority-share ownership of an international airline ?

I imagine the same way that a company owned by a sitting prime minister can sell telecoms equipment to a blacklisted country with the aid of a soft loan issued by his own government.

Power must have it's privileges or else why go into politics here in the first place?

• Like 2

"However, I don't agree that US politicians are as corrupt."

Clearly the poster has never heard of "pork barrel" politics , lobby groups and the influence of "big business" on US politics.

Perhaps the poster could tell us why US Presidents are not elected by a popular , one man one vote system ? (for those unaware please look how caucuses manipulate the US voting "system" )

• Like 1

..follow the money and see who gains from these "attacks". Would anyone be surprised where that trail leads?

Come on dude, you haven't even noticed you are in the wrong thread!!

Please stop just posting something and start paying to the topic.

THREAD--he didn't COTTON on that's allcheesy.gif

• Like 1

At one point, Thaksin owned almost 50% of Air Asia. I would double check, if he is out of it, before believing the Air Asia Announcement.

That was another conflict of interest...owning almost half of Air Asia and then slowly demolishing Thai Airlines, the Government owned, once profitable corporation.

One thing that baffles me is, that Thai politicians don't even try very hard to hide their corrupt practices. I think, the US and Canadian Politicians, are just as corrupt, but they are doing a lot better job hiding it.

I did like the one commercial I seen on Blueskychannel.tv today, that showed some Government offical receiving the "brown envelope" from another person. Meanwhile a subordinate watches this and when the offical comes to give him the paper to process, the subordinate rips up the paper and the whole office is pointing their finger at the corrupt boss.

Commercials like that go a long ways in having the public stand up against corruption and actually exposing it at all levels.

Corruption is a cancer that festers in every level of society here. In the end, nobody really benefits from it. We all loose! wai2.gif

I am with you that corruption is a cancer that destroys economies. However, I don't agree that US and Canadian politicians are as corrupt. There are always going to be dishonest people, anywhere but generally this is a minority.

In Thailand corruption is accepted as a way of life. If starts with a simple police check by the roadside where everyone knows you can pay to avoid trouble right up to the PM abusing position.

It runs through everything and can only be stamped out when attitudes change towards it. Put simply when people see it as the poison it is and stop accepting and tolerating it things will change.. Until then nothing will happen.

Yes, corruption top to bottom and wall to wall. A friend of mine (Farang) just had his five year drivers license renewed. He took all the required tests and was told if he needed his new license in a hurry it would cost him Baht 500, other wise take a seat and wait. He negotiated Baht 300 and was out the door with new license in ten minutes.

I think this is an excellent tactic.

Lets bring down all Thailands top companies aside from those in the "old elite" allowing them to get even richer and regain their stranglehold of the Thai economy. That`ll show em wink.png (not that it will work in any shape or form)

Can`t even see themselves as the pawns they are. biggrin.png

To be fair at least they have finally got a new tactic to walking the streets shaking a money box like some kind of charity walk.

Lets bring down all Thailands top companies aside from those in the "old elite" allowing them to get even richer and regain their stranglehold of the Thai economy. That`ll show em wink.png (not that it will work in any shape or form)

To be fair at least they have finally got a new tactic to walking the streets shaking a money box like some kind of charity walk.

TVGerry is totally brainwashed. Never thought foreigners could fall for Suthep's lies.

• Like 1

TVGerry is totally brainwashed. Never thought foreigners could fall for Suthep's lies.

LOL! Red kool aid drinker actually called me 'brainwashed'. I'm sooooo hurt! whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ChrisY1, on 25 Feb 2014 - 11:17, said:

The Shinawatra name is becoming quite toxic!.....

Now the big boys are running scared.

I said way back that the Shinawatra name would or could become toxic, although I think the bulk of the family Are very nice people, the only one that needs to address he's status is Thaskin

NO NOT that nice family actually are you kidding the sisters YL or Yawapa..nice really and the kids of thaksin are as corrupt as they come as well. and then they corrupt anyone in their surroundings. Ang Yees are really nice salt of the earth kind of people ypu have any idea what is the background of the shinclan

Edited by Evolare

trolling with excellent argument 5555 im not saying suthep is innocent but you probably think thaksin and his sister will save Thailand? and what gerry is saying about the disruption of thaiair is common knowledge nothing that has been spread by suthep....who will buy a thaiair ticket for 70.000baht round trip economy budget with them when you can fly with anyother airline for half that price. The strategy that has been laid out have been put there by people appointed to thaiair by PTP. if you want evidence contact thaiair workers union to see what they have to say!!!

Edited by Evolare