Red-shirts force anti-govt singer to ditch Chiang Mai concert

webfact

Really it should come as no surprise to anyone that he has not been welcomed with open arms in Chiang Mai.

What would be the response to a singer that was openly supporting the PTP and Thaksin in some of Sutheps strongholds?

If you are going to stand up there with politically divisive figures you should be prepared for this sort of response....

Either he has been badly advised by his handlers or / and he is just plain stupid if he didn't take into account that this would possibly happen.

All of these singers should think very carefully before getting up on stage at these events (PDRC, PTP , UDD or whatever)

None of them should surprised by their diminished fan bases.

If you're gonna talk the talk you better be prepared to walk the walk

Edited by wave
  • Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really it should come as no surprise to anyone that he has not been welcomed with open arms in Chiang Mai.

What would be the response to a singer that was openly supporting the PTP and Thaksin in some of Sutheps strongholds?

If you are going to stand up there with politically divisive figures you should be prepared for this sort of response....

Either he has been badly advised by his handlers or / and he is just plain stupid if he didn't take into account that this would possibly happen.

All of these singers should think very carefully before getting up on stage at these events (PDRC, PTP , UDD or whatever)

Poor old Off probably thought of it as just like another mall appearance - which is probably how he thought of his appearance at the PDRC event too.

They were protesting against someone who was helping to gather donations to help the farmers.

They have really turned on their so called base support, farmers the backbone of PT.

Yes he was right to cancel.

The donations, on PRDC's own admission, were not to help the farmers. They were to pay PRDC lawyers to sue the government, there is a huge difference. Not that the people who gave the money were told what the real purpose was. Yes he was right to cancel and incredibly stupid to haved booked the gig in the first place. If he was trying make political capital out of it, he was incredibly naive.

The singer was stupid to support Suthep in the first place. I said weeks ago that all of these celebrities will end up ruining their careers by joining the "picnic" and the PDRC stages. Well, here is the first one. He ruined his entire career because he joined a politician fight. There are plenty of other Thai singers not stupid enough to join either side.

So because this singer has a belief that is different than yours his career should end? He is stupid for supporting something that he believes in, but you don't? Is that really fair? Should everyone have the same belief as you for them to be accepted.

I think the singer is courageous. I think everyone should have their own free will to support and chose who ever they want. That is called democracy. Freedom of expression, freedom of religion. Simply freedom.

I hope the red shirts see the error of their ways and understand that if they feel that it is because of Suthep they are doing this then they are just as bad as they purport Suthep to be.

I hope Thailand doesn't get to a point where before a concert security ask which political group you belong to. Is that democracy? Is that what we are trying to achieve in Thailand?

If you don't believe the same beliefs as me you can't sign here tonight.

You apparently didn't understand what I meant, so I will try and explain it again in simpler terms.

He is not stupid for believing it, but he is stupid for publicly supporting and backing it.

Let me know if that makes sense.

By the way, what are your thoughts about the PDRC protesters shutting down the Sek Loso concert?

• Like 1

Utter red stupidity again, twist and turn everything.

His concert in CM had nothing to do with politics....until the reds chose to politicize it.

Neither had the Loso concert in Phuket which was cancelled due to the PDRC protests.

Get your facts straight of you want to discuss like a grown up or go play in a Kindenrgarten with the kids.

Not everybody believes blindly the mantra your spewing.

Posted 2014-01-06 11:28:51

PHUKET: -- Hundreds of angry anti-government protesters last night forced the organizers of the annual Phuket Red Cross Fair to cancel a live concert by Thai rock star Sek Loso, who was to perform the closing show at the fair.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....es-seks-appeal/

• Like 2

ShannonT - Firstly - The veiled condescension in your posts is not really required though it is consistently there. That in itself reflects an undercurrent of contempt that you have for me for not believing the same beliefs as you.

Secondly - You stated and I quote here "The singer was stupid to support Suthep in the first place" So you are trying to tell me know that is not what you meant to say. You meant to say "The singer was stupid to publicly support and back Suthep". Maybe I am, but a simpleton, but explain to me how "supporting Suthep" and "publicly supporting and backing Suthep" is different? If I support Suthep in private that is OK then?

To address your second statement regarding the PDRC protesters shutting down the Sek Loso concert. I could easily say they protestors shut the concert down because the government refused to build a conference hall there until the and I quote again "When you vote for us we will build a conference hall". However I won't retract to that level, because being anti democratic once does not justify being anti democratic twice. So I think it was appalling the concert was shut down and it shows that some supporters on both sides of the political divide actually have more in common than we may think. What they have in common however is not an admirable personal or political trait.

I do look forward to you addressing issues in the future without going back to "how about the PDRC doing." or "The PDRC did this so " or "We did this because the PDRC did )

I mainly look forward to you clearing up the first point. Might have to make it a bit more simple for me.

Cheers.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

To address your second statement regarding the PDRC protesters shutting down the Sek Loso concert. I could easily say they protestors shut the concert down because the government refused to build a conference hall there until the and I quote again "When you vote for us we will build a conference hall". However I won't retract to that level, because being anti democratic once does not justify being anti democratic twice. So I think it was appalling the concert was shut down and it shows that some supporters on both sides of the political divide actually have more in common than we may think. What they have in common however is not an admirable personal or political trait.

Nice to see you take a step in the right direction. wai2.gif

Does anyone know if there is a thai translation for the grenade or M79? serious question,

stopped to eat at a local street food stall on the way home, listening to the conversation there about the deaths of kids in the last days and the term they used translates to thaksin bombs.

M79 = Em-jedsib-gao

Grenade = raberd

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Red democracy again!

Side against my deity and we'll run you out! bah.gif

Absolutely. This is how the red gangs work. Those on this forum who continue to support the reds must be blind, demented or have no humanity whatsoever. To me it beggars belief that any right thinking person can support these thugs.

It doesn't have anything to do with democracy or not, it has to do with Suthep and his co-leaders calling the people of the north stupid and buffaloes. Then you expect these people to welcome your people with open arms and greet the with flowers? You guys are really living in a pink dream world.

This singer should have thought about the consequences before siding with Suthep. Remember the video the "celebrities" released telling the poor Thais to come join the street picnic and come shopping at Paragon?

Well, this is their answer.

Ms. Kanyapak Maneechak, said the Redshirts find it unacceptable that Mr. Pongsak has sided with the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) by helping PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban solicit for donations on 10 February.

Nice answer, very democratic. "the REDSHIRTS find it UNACCEPTABLE".

Now if the lady had said that 'her' red-shirts are anti-PCAD and anti-PDRC leader Suthep, that would be acceptable. Freedom of opinion and so.

• Like 1

" Mr. Pongsak also appeared with PCAD leaders during their campaign to find donations for rice farmers affected by the rice-pledging scheme. "

" Many of the Redshirts who used to support Off are very angry," Ms. Kanyapak said. "

Well, I suppose if donations for the farmers is not the " UDD way ", that might explain why the UDD prefers the method of simply blocking the farmers from traveling to Bangkok.

It's really too bad the farmers didn't know about the concert. They would have enthusiastically occupied every seat in the house, and probably really enjoyed the concert. The UDD would have done their sulking miles away, closer to their Protecting Democracy from Free Expression highway outlook posts.

*Deleted Post edited out*

Khun Offs problem maybe actually finding people who want to buy his tickets in the North rather than them not being able to afford them.

Considering that live shows the breadth and width of the country account for a large percentage of an artists income it's not the smartest of career moves.

Shows in the North and North East are very important and to not be able to play in these regions would have a noticeable impact on his income.

Fair enough if he wants to get up there and express his political views, no one is stopping him, but in such a politically polarized society its guaranteed to not go unnoticed.

Personally I think he (and others like him) has been a very silly boy.

• Like 1

Nice to see you take a step in the right direction. wai2.gif

I mainly look forward to you clearing up the first point. Might have to make it a bit more simple for me or will that one be ignored?

You stated and I quote here "The singer was stupid to support Suthep in the first place" So you are trying to tell me know that is not what you meant to say. You meant to say "The singer was stupid to publicly support and back Suthep". Maybe I am, but a simpleton, but explain to me how "supporting Suthep" and "publicly supporting and backing Suthep" is different? If I support Suthep in private that is OK then?

Edited by djjamie

'However, the Redshirts continued to eat and talk at the restaurant for a while to see whether Mr. Pongsak would show up. He did not. The Redshirts eventually paid their bills and peacefully dispersed from the restaurant.'

somehow this last para surprised me a fair bit

• Like 1

Mr. Off. Chiang Mai is not your country.

Mr NCFC, ChiangMai is part of Thailand and k. Off is Thai. Therefore he was in a city in his own country.

Dear Rubl

Not for much longer.

• Like 1

It is a shame that things like this are ALLOWED to happen. When a singer of Thai fame his general audience is not split into counties/regions, he will have fans across the board everywhere, Remember Cilla Black backed Maggie Thatcher, she didn't have her appearances blocked. Mostly it is when law and order is not tightly enforced, locals take advantage.

I feel sorry for the fans who paid to see him, and the same goes for the innocents at Roi Et.

Funny but there seems many more personalities supporting change, I wonder why ?

Is it because most personalities dislike the colour of red......... but that's just an observation that seems true.

I DO AGREE, at this stage most persons are keeping a low profile.

Talking to some school teachers in my street, most do not want to show favour for any side because they value their jobs, but there is a drift towards the anti corruption stance by the protesters.

Red democracy again!

Absolutely. This is how the red gangs work. Those on this forum who continue to support the reds must be blind, demented or have no humanity whatsoever. To me it beggars belief that any right thinking person can support these thugs.

It doesn't have anything to do with democracy or not, it has to do with Suthep and his co-leaders calling the people of the north stupid and buffaloes. Then you expect these people to welcome your people with open arms and greet the with flowers? You guys are really living in a pink dream world.

This singer should have thought about the consequences before siding with Suthep. Remember the video the "celebrities" released telling the poor Thais to come join the street picnic and come shopping at Paragon?

Well, this is their answer.

What is it with these people and your people crap, last time I looked, they were all Thais. Only a moronic red supporter could think like that.

• Like 1

Red democracy again!

The fact is that the people ate their meals and paid in a peaceful manner.

If they were voicing their disagreement, they did so in a legal manner. The precedent has been set by groups going on a witch hunt against anyone and anything accused of supporting the government. The alleged protestors were following the lead of the PDRC, except in this case instead of harassing non implicated people, they behaved in a peaceful manner. One may not agree with their actions, but they did nothing illegal.

• Like 2

Picture looks like he's the bag man for Suthep and his anti democratic facsist criminals

Not welcome! bah.gif

He can probably spell "fascist" though.

The more the red shirts chase people off, the more they will be despised. Chasing rice farmers away is not going to be well received.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Oh, the outrage.

Sek Loso, one of the finest musicians and internationally acknowledged guitarists Thailand has produced, was the victim of similar prejudice in Phuket. Ok, let's ignore that little incident as it didn't involve 'Reds'.

Carry on.

I didn't even notice that that had happened. If I had I would probably be just as unhappy as I'm about this incident.

They were protesting against someone who was helping to gather donations to help the farmers.

They have really turned on their so called base support, farmers the backbone of PT.

The donations, on PRDC's own admission, were not to help the farmers. They were to pay PRDC lawyers to sue the government, there is a huge difference. Not that the people who gave the money were told what the real purpose was. Yes he was right to cancel and incredibly stupid to haved booked the gig in the first place. If he was trying make political capital out of it, he was incredibly naive.

That's absolutely right. Not a single satang ever made it to the farmers, only into the pockets of Democrat party lawyers, which filed the lawsuits on behalf of the PDRC. There is a news post here for those not aware of it.

20 million Baht to file a few lawsuits and the poor farmers believe it. Any other lawyer would have filed it for free if he really wanted to help the farmers, or at most a few thousand Baht.

The singer was stupid to support Suthep in the first place. I said weeks ago that all of these celebrities will end up ruining their careers by joining the "picnic" and the PDRC stages. Well, here is the first one. He ruined his entire career because he joined a politician fight. There are plenty of other Thai singers not stupid enough to join either side.

Still sprouting the usual red crap ?

It was said from the beginning that the money would be used to support the farmers in their law suits against the government. The lawyers have nothing to do with the Democrats, but are provided by the Thai law society.

They also didn't file suit on behalf of the PDRC but on behalf of the farmers. Filing a lawsuit doesn't cost a fortune, however when you file a lawsuit you will have to deposit a considerable amount of money with the court, and the pleading will cost handful of money.

Where do you think that the farmers would get that money ?A farmer is not allowed to plead in court you will know, and it doesn't make sense to file suit if you can't defend your claim in court

It is also not a single lawsuit but hundreds of lawsuits in tens of different districts all over Thailand

Red democracy again!

To be honest, didn't Suthep pull a similar stint with a concert in Phuket a few months ago ?

• Like 1

So because this singer has a belief that is different than yours his career should end? He is stupid for supporting something that he believes in, but you don't? Is that really fair? Should everyone have the same belief as you for them to be accepted.

I think the singer is courageous. I think everyone should have their own free will to support and chose who ever they want. That is called democracy. Freedom of expression, freedom of religion. Simply freedom.

I hope the red shirts see the error of their ways and understand that if they feel that it is because of Suthep they are doing this then they are just as bad as they purport Suthep to be.

I hope Thailand doesn't get to a point where before a concert security ask which political group you belong to. Is that democracy? Is that what we are trying to achieve in Thailand?

If you don't believe the same beliefs as me you can't sign here tonight.

Colour segregation, where have I seen or heard that before.

" Mr. Pongsak also appeared with PCAD leaders during their campaign to find donations for rice farmers affected by the rice-pledging scheme. "

" Many of the Redshirts who used to support Off are very angry," Ms. Kanyapak said. "

Well, I suppose if donations for the farmers is not the " UDD way ", that might explain why the UDD prefers the method of simply blocking the farmers from traveling to Bangkok.

It's really too bad the farmers didn't know about the concert. They would have enthusiastically occupied every seat in the house, and probably really enjoyed the concert. The UDD would have done their sulking miles away, closer to their Protecting Democracy from Free Expression highway outlook posts.

They wouldn't be able to pay for the tickets.

Khun Offs problem maybe actually finding people who want to buy his tickets in the North rather than them not being able to afford them.

Considering that live shows the breadth and width of the country account for a large percentage of an artists income it's not the smartest of career moves.

Shows in the North and North East are very important and to not be able to play in these regions would have a noticeable impact on his income.

Fair enough if he wants to get up there and express his political views, no one is stopping him, but in such a politically polarized society its guaranteed to not go unnoticed.

Personally I think he (and others like him) has been a very silly boy.

The OP say Off helped PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban solicit for donations on 10 February.

Q1: was that in Bangkok or in ChiangMai?

Q2: did Off express his political views in ChiangMai ?

Q3: any relation with the PCAD rally which got menacing red-shirts walking towards them two weeks ago?

Q4: why the special mention of helping with donations for farmers?

thanks in advance for answers wai.gif

Edited by rubl