Anand Panyarachun named the most suitable neutral prime minister

webfact

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anand is a mature gentleman, well-mannered, well-spoken and very honest and a cool choice for a great PM clap2.gif

Anand the saviour, Anand the Nelson Mandela of Thailand AMEN

cheesy.gif Nelson Mandela? he was never a 'coup' choice the was the PEOPLE'S choice through ELECTIONS (you know what they are right?)

he won the hearts and minds of the people and they VOTED him in

it's so embarrassing this ignorance... I WISH we had a Mandela - it's what we need - but not through imposition but through democracy (as in the case of the wonderful Mandela)

go LEARN wai.gif

• Like 2

Anand is a mature gentleman, well-mannered, well-spoken and very honest and a cool choice for a great PM clap2.gif

cheesy.gif Nelson Mandela? he was never a 'coup' choice the was the PEOPLE'S choice through ELECTIONS (you know what they are right?)

it's so embarrassing this ignorance... I WISH we had a Mandela - it's what we need - but not through imposition but through democracy (as in the case of the wonderful Mandela)

go LEARN wai.gif

Mugabe, Amin, Marcos, Al Bashir, Hun Sen, Hussein all elected, just for starters.

What are PTPs principles on democracy? And how have they followed them since they were elected the last time?

• Like 1

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

who cares what YOU think?

are you Thai? no - so shut up and let Thais decide

What a nasty man or woman you are. Saying things like this ... then it is better that you go elsewhere.

i cannot believe the MODS have not banned you 3 days three times smile.png as did happen to me for saying someone was STUPID - even though they were clearly so..

get the drift???????

"let the Thais decide" you don't like that? YOU think YOU know better? the Thai people will decide what is good for THEIR country not me or YOU

get the drift????????????

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

What a nasty man or woman you are. Saying things like this ... then it is better that you go elsewhere.

i cannot believe the MODS have not banned you 3 days three times smile.png as did happen to me for saying someone was STUPID - even though they were clearly so..

get the drift???????

"let the Thais decide" you don't like that? YOU think YOU know better? the Thai people will decide what is good for THEIR country not me or YOU

get the drift????????????

Which Thais?

All of them, or just some? Will they ask my missus and her family? Or is it a private discussion? If so between who? That doesn't sound very fair. It seems almost elitest and unrepresentative. What will Anand's plan be? Do we get to hear before?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Shouldn't Anand have been done for lese majeste after the wikileaks incident? Just askin'.

I will try to answer this without breaching any forum rules because I think it is a valid question and you are not the first person to ask it. There were suggestions along those lines from people of the red shirt persuasion but no one ever attempted to file charges against any privy councillors. It was pretty obvious that the leaks would have been dismissed by a court as hearsay evidence. The US government and the ambassador who was alleged to have filed the cables would certainly have denied everything and there would have been no way of verifying anything attributed to to the individual PCs in the leaks.

• Like 1

go LEARN wai.gif

Mugabe, Amin, Marcos, Al Bashir, Hun Sen, Hussein all elected, just for starters.

What are PTPs principles on democracy? And how have they followed them since they were elected the last time?

he said "Mandela"?

you mean he meant "Mugabe, Amin, Marcos" etc ??????????????????????????????????????

so he meant to say "Mugabe or Marcos or Amin" is the SAVIOUR of Thailand (AMEN) ?????????? wow i think you maybe right - WELL DONE

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

Shouldn't Anand have been done for lese majeste after the wikileaks incident? Just askin'.

I will try to answer this without breaching any forum rules because I think it is a valid question and you are not the first person to ask it. There were suggestions along those lines from people of the red shirt persuasion but no one ever attempted to file charges against any privy councillors. It was pretty obvious that the leaks would have been dismissed by a court as hearsay evidence. The US government and the ambassador who was alleged to have filed the cables would certainly have denied everything and there would have been no way of verifying anything attributed to to the individual PCs in the leaks.

so that's ok then... whistling.gif

Claiming what any court in this place could claim is hearsay is a bit tenuous. They are about to try to string up a Prime Minister for overseeing systematic corruption .in the rice system when there hasn't been a single conviction of serious corruption.

Lets not believe that a court in Thailand can't put a cart before a horse.

• Like 1

Korn as a number of people have already pointed out would be a good candidate. Heis smart and respected, AFAIK not tainted with corruption. However given his links to the Dems it would not be acceptable to The Red Shirts. Really Thai politics needs a total clear out, lifetime bans, asset seizures and tough jail sentences for corrupt politicians. Proxies, should IMO also be banned and this across the board. Sadly, the same old dinosaurs are always involved every time, even if they are banned. It's a mess.

I agree with you - but it is not going to happen. In this country you are only ever accused of corruption if the political flavor of the day switches against you - then legal proceedings are dragged out for so long until the political flavor changes again - and you are off the hook. Nothing is going to happen to any powerful people unless they really fall out with the people who pull the strings behind the scenes.

With the information politicians in this country have available to be used against there foes when the time comes the status quo is guaranteed - it is also almost impossible for a thief to point your finger at another thief and tell the world "he stole". Nobody rich or in position of power is clean in this country - nobody! They would have never been able to get where they are without being involved in some form of corruption.

If there are Thais out there who want real democracy they should form a new party and start new - distance themselves from the established parties and show the Thai people that there is another way. Come actually up with ideas for reforms on paper and explain it to the regular Somchai - why things need to change.

The first thing needed would be an independent judiciary but as long as certain people are around this will not happen - without it the country - any country - is doomed.

The battle they would have to fight is almost impossible to win - the forces against them are too powerful - the entire "establishment" would fight against honest people in government once they start seeing their fur disappearing swimming down the river. These people think - once they are in certain positions - they have the right to loot the country and see nothing wrong with doing it!

Can you imagine an "outsider" reforming the armed forces or police in Thailand ? An entire generation of brainwashed officers who are only loyal to each other and think it is their right to be promoted just because they shared the same class with others who have reached high positions thanks to their corrupt dealings and connections - an entire generation of officers would need to be removed until they would actually be promoted for their performance - and not their connections or "gifts" to their superiors.

To change the mindset of an entire nation used to corruption and nepotism everywhere - will take generations - provided the political will is there.

This is an uphill battle that nobody wants to start - after all why are people becoming politicians in today's world without idealism? The only cause politicians are fighting for today are their own and those of their lobbyist's - if these fools would only know how much more satisfying it is to fight for an ideal than for money and power.

Most of today's politicians are nothing but lazy scoundrels getting by in life without ever doing any actual work - just a big mouth is enough today and the ability of blaming others when things go wrong!

So let me finish with a quote of - in my opinion - one of the last idealists in politics - the late Bruno Kreisky a man with a vision, a rich man who dedicated his life to the poor and underprivileged by raising their living standards to previously unknown heights.

"The ideas and principles of democracy should not be limited to politics, but must pervade all areas of social life."

But this a is a long and sometimes painful process - and there are sinister forces out there who prefer a more feudal system - they don't want to share the spoils acquired on the back of the less privileged.

• Like 1

He is my Man.

You may not have noticed but this is a forum for comments primarily by foreigners and relating to Thailand - nobody on here who is not Thai have any right to vote, thats true, but your nasty and undeserved comment is childish and uncalled for - everyone here has a right to express a view, even you, but you have no right to attack others on here - whether you are Thai or other.

Try to learn how to make comments without being nasty to others for doing nothing more than expressing a reasonable opinion on a public forum designed for exactly that.

By the way, I know a number of people who are farang by birth but are now Thai, so your assertion that Costas2008 is not Thai may not be correct at all, unless you know the person's status intimately.

• Like 1

Claiming what any court in this place could claim is hearsay is a bit tenuous. They are about to try to string up a Prime Minister for overseeing systematic corruption .in the rice system when there hasn't been a single conviction of serious corruption.

I think that what "they" are trying to do, is their job.The NACC is there to investigate and prosecute corruption cases. I see that they are making enquiries into the involvement of certain people directly in, not overseeing, the corruption that is at the heart of the failing/failed rice pledging scheme - that's exactly what they have to do, and it means they must pursue the perpetrators including those involved in the design and implementation of corrupt practices. If they determine that a person, no matter their position, is involved, then it is their duty to prosecute that person.

If they don't start somewhere, then obviously there will never be a "single conviction of serious corruption" in the rice pledging scheme...

I think that what "they" are trying to do, is their job.The NACC is there to investigate and prosecute corruption cases. I see that they are making enquiries into the involvement of certain people directly in, not overseeing, the corruption that is at the heart of the failing/failed rice pledging scheme - that's exactly what they have to do, and it means they must pursue the perpetrators including those involved in the design and implementation of corrupt practices. If they determine that a person, no matter their position, is involved, then it is their duty to prosecute that person.

If they don't start somewhere, then obviously there will never be a "single conviction of serious corruption" in the rice pledging scheme...

Shouldn't they prosecute the actual corruption first?

Strewth, if they prosecuted negligence before then accident happened....u see the problem

If I own a bus company, and the driver drives above the speed limit what, who gets charged with what?

Does he get charged for potentially killing.someone?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

In a democracy the person who wins an election is the leader. That is Yingluk she is the only person to have a legitimate claim.

Anything else is a coup. Anything else is not democracy.

[added: it is interest though that they accept that people need to be asked, i.e. they accept the principle of democracy, now if there was only some way we could ask everyone and the people could pick a leader by selecting their party, we could count these paper records, and determinng the winner by some carefully documented method. ]

Ohhhh, so you know the election results already even before the election is finished and votes tabulated?

Sounds like a rigged vote if you can foretell the results.

BlueNoseCodger has on several occasions explained why he believes that Yingluck has won the election. You sneer at his view on the grounds that the election was not completed as it should have been, because the group which you support so enthusiastically, trashed it in a blatantly undemocratic manner.

Yet you see nothing wrong in ignoring the electorate and selecting a Prime Minister on the basis of an opinion poll conducted amongst less than 2000 people?

You are some strange supporter of democracy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have on several occasions explained why I believe yingluck has not won an election. People sneer at my view points on the grounds that the election was free and fair.

Yet you see nothing wrong in ignoring the majority of voters of 53% of which there were 45 million odd and is in sync with with the poll conducted of 2000 odd (broad selection, not rice farmers) people.

You are some strange supporter of beliefs over facts to push a form of democracy.

Can I spell it out.

All up 60% did not register a vote. The poll indicated about 60% don't want the PTP.

Is 63% a majority if they voted for the PTP in the 2011 election?

Is 63% a majority if they were against the amnesty bill?

Now as I have a strange understanding of democracy….Do you think calling voters garbage is democratic? Refusing to hold public hearings in water management? Telling voters that "if they don't vote for us we will not help you?" Passing an amnesty that 63% of the population didn't want? Setting up corruption departments, denouncing corruption. making it an election promise to stamp out corruption and then go against the majority of voters and try to push an amnesty bill that would allow 25 000 corruption charges to be absolved, including the PM's brother?

If that is my strange understanding of democracy, I would hate to see yours.

Can you name the principles of democracy for me?[/quote

I have no interest in answering rhetorical questions on political science.

My understanding of democracy starts with the electoral process. Without it, no matter how many other principles may or may not be fulfilled, democracy cannot be said to exist. You accept the prevention of the election, including blocking ballots and intimidation, then suggest a poll of less than 2000 people provides a mandate for appointing a Government.

That cannot be described as democracy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

He might have been vulnerable of the remarks had ben made in public, but they were made to an american and leaked by an australian. That probably isn't within the purview thai law.

Not so. Who you say it to, is completely irrelevant.

My larger point was that the conversation was intended to be private. The foreigners' factor was supplementary. Otherwise, are you suggesting that I can't have a private conversation at home, a conversation which if made public would be vulnerable to that law? What if I had the conversation outside Thailand? If even the latter holds then why aren't journalists and editors of virtually every foreign newspaper dragged to gaol when they set foot in Thailand?

He might have been vulnerable of the remarks had ben made in public, but they were made to an american and leaked by an australian. That probably isn't within the purview thai law.

Not so. Who you say it to, is completely irrelevant.

My larger point was that the conversation was intended to be private. The foreigners' factor was supplementary. Otherwise, are you suggesting that I can't have a private conversation at home, a conversation which if made public would be vulnerable to that law? What if I had the conversation outside Thailand? If even the latter holds then why aren't journalists and editors of virtually every foreign newspaper dragged to gaol when they set foot in Thailand?
Anyone overhearing your conversation should it be lese majeste can report it. Intending to make it private is no defence. Of course, a formal complaint has to be made.

If no one complains, it isn't punishable. Ask the poor fellow who merely linked to a book on his overseas website. In fact foreign royalty are protected by thai lese majeste in thailand.

Sit in london and write something scathing about thai royalty and try to get through immigration if someone has made a complaint.

Good luck

Edited by Thai at Heart

He's deemed "suitable" to lead without the votes. No campaigning necessary, no platform, no national consensus. A Thai poll in Bangkok "deems him suitable." If anything could be singled out as a potential civil war starter, it would be the appointment of someone like this who in turn would "appoint" a people's council presumably to develop reform issues. The Thai south, the Thai north, northeast - fuggedaboutit.

He founded NIDA ....he has worked for them forever...of course he's gonna be their dog in the race....do more research guys more than Wikipedia... though that is a good place to start.... but again knee jerk approval here in TV ... he has many skeletons as do most Thai Politicians... not gonna find a squeaky clean one in the whole lot... but... rubber stamping a rubber stamper...begs more due diligence on the part of TV readers and posters..and remember that someone or many before me have said already...this is a much bigger picture and a huge part of that picture is stuff we cannot discuss here... a lot of names in the Wikipedia source can be followed up...to a point...cheers all !

Who? I don't care about him.

60% said the PTP are an illegitimate government.

Time to accept that my friend.

I know 60% is a minority for you when they voted against an amnesty.

I know 43% is an overwhelming majority for you when it is PTP votes in 2011.

So whats your excuse this time for the 60%?

No excuses when the figures are on your side. Full of excuses when the figures are against you.

Can't really accept it can you that PTP are not the party they were 3 years ago.

Time to let go mate and move in.

I have no dog in this race. I am neither red or yellow your claims are specious and amount to little more than garbage talk ....from someone who clearly has a color preference... but the numbers are not the issue as you will soon see.. neither are the daily hot button headlines that the biased press propagate..so cling to your frail claim of a inflatednumbers... and I also agree that in spite of his extreme old school bias... he is a bit older than what is necessary.. I think the need someone with better dynamics...

Conversely, has there ever been a conviction based upon wikileaks "evidence"?

Not that i'm aware of.

Dogmatix's points why wilikeaks would be inadmissabke to a court are quite valid.

Conversely, has there ever been a conviction based upon wikileaks "evidence"?

Not that i'm aware of.

Dogmatix's points why wilikeaks would be inadmissabke to a court are quite valid.

It would rely on someone accusing someone of it being fabricated. It isn't going to happen, but I wouldn't bet 100% that any thai court would not accept that type of evidence.

If they will accept the fact that someone sends a dodgy message from your phone as being an admission that the owner must be the person to have sent it, well. That says enough I think.

The moral.of that one. Don't let anyone ever use your phone.

He founded NIDA ....he has worked for them forever...of course he's gonna be their dog in the race....do more research guys more than Wikipedia...

Could you point us in the direction that validates your "He founded NIDA" claim?

He and Prem worked together with his Royal Majesty on developing this entity...

http://www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th/eng/pm_18.htm

Ohhhh, so you know the election results already even before the election is finished and votes tabulated?

Sounds like a rigged vote if you can foretell the results.

BlueNoseCodger has on several occasions explained why he believes that Yingluck has won the election. You sneer at his view on the grounds that the election was not completed as it should have been, because the group which you support so enthusiastically, trashed it in a blatantly undemocratic manner.

Yet you see nothing wrong in ignoring the electorate and selecting a Prime Minister on the basis of an opinion poll conducted amongst less than 2000 people?

You are some strange supporter of democracy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have on several occasions explained why I believe yingluck has not won an election. People sneer at my view points on the grounds that the election was free and fair.

Yet you see nothing wrong in ignoring the majority of voters of 53% of which there were 45 million odd and is in sync with with the poll conducted of 2000 odd (broad selection, not rice farmers) people.

You are some strange supporter of beliefs over facts to push a form of democracy.

Can I spell it out.

All up 60% did not register a vote. The poll indicated about 60% don't want the PTP.

Is 63% a majority if they voted for the PTP in the 2011 election?

Is 63% a majority if they were against the amnesty bill?

Now as I have a strange understanding of democracy.Do you think calling voters garbage is democratic? Refusing to hold public hearings in water management? Telling voters that "if they don't vote for us we will not help you?" Passing an amnesty that 63% of the population didn't want? Setting up corruption departments, denouncing corruption. making it an election promise to stamp out corruption and then go against the majority of voters and try to push an amnesty bill that would allow 25 000 corruption charges to be absolved, including the PM's brother?

If that is my strange understanding of democracy, I would hate to see yours.

Can you name the principles of democracy for me?

If you don't vote for a representative, you don't get represented. Democracy 101, it punishes apathy.

It's the majority of voters for candidates that decide an election, not some magic majority of everyone.

Obama won 61,173,739 votes. Out of 227 million people eligable to vote in America. He's the elected democratic President with a majority.

The problem with your last example as a supposed clincher is that it is wrong. Electoral votes determine the American president. And electoral votes are apportioned by population--including, for example, illegal aliens. California has a large illegal alien population who, in effect, are represented by apportionment of electoral votes, even though they cannot fill out a ballot. Many people in the US consider this disenfranchisement of their vote--if they live in another state--because illegal residents gain electoral representation at their expense (loss of electoral votes). The point being, that direct voting, whether in the US or Thailand, is no key to understanding concepts of representation or democracy.

He founded NIDA ....he has worked for them forever...of course he's gonna be their dog in the race....do more research guys more than Wikipedia...

Could you point us in the direction that validates your "He founded NIDA" claim?

He and Prem worked together with his Royal Majesty on developing this entity...

http://www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th/eng/pm_18.htm

Sorry, but in your link, it doesn't say anything about Anand "founded NIDA".

Do you have any other source that does say that?

When googling "NIDA founded", on the right side of the results screen it lists His Majesty the King as its founder.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=NIDA+founded&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=nn0OU8P-JaquiQeA6YGABg

He is my Man.

If you look at the top of the page under the words Thai Visa you'll see the word 'forum'. Why don't you shut up and Google the word 'forum'?

• Like 1

He is my Man.

And there was me thinking it's ok to voice your own opinion in these forums, silly me!

Out of curiosity:

For those that support Thaksin, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

For those who support the upcountry Red Shirts, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

The answers may not, necessarily, be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

An elected one.

Number 1 on the party list of the Party winning the election becomes Prime Minister....What is so hard to understand about that.

The electoral majority governs the country...Not an electoral minority in any form.

There is no such thing as a "neutral PM".

The electoral majority is very clear about this.

Any hoisting into the PM position of someone without electoral legitimacy is kowtowing to anti-democratic forces. Akin to the coup-rooted AV when he was forced onto the electoral majority. They took care of that little matter the next election, didn't they.

If anti-democracy is the first choice...OK...Then one can talk about neutral and appointed Prime Ministers.

First decision - Electoral democracy or not...After that, selections for a Prime Minister are very easy.

This is one of the clearest examples of these PAD-Dem rooted Polls such as NIDA seeking to add a 'Public Opinion" veneer to themselves.....Ask any UDD/PTP/RS individual and anyone from the electoral majority who a good neutral PM should be, and one is bound to get laughed or booted out of the room. So one can imagine who NIDA asked the questions of.

Not complicated.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

He is my Man.

And there was me thinking it's ok to voice your own opinion in these forums, silly me!

agreed but to say 'He is My Man' (in bold) when not Thai warrants 'let the Thais decide' - if he is 'anyone's man' he certainly is not a farangs lol