Building with an appreciation for traditional architecture

WinnieTheKhwai

Sometimes you see something get built that just shows that the person or company building it has some appreciation and care for the way their building looks and fits into the overall environment.

I'm especially happy when it is a building of a type that isn't normally known for showing a lot of care, such as banks and government offices.

For example, small branch offices of banks tend to look like this:

post-64232-0-26736000-1393406734_thumb.j

To see that Krung Thai Bank in this case built something that blends well with traditional architecture is very encouraging indeed!

And at the risk of anthropomorphising a city, if I was Chiang Mai I'd be smiling too!

post-64232-0-59754700-1393406782_thumb.j post-64232-0-42347800-1393406913_thumb.j post-64232-0-93921100-1393406946_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I am an architect, and I love Thailand traditional architecture...but..I have to say that the "modern" Thai architecture is very bad. Worst than that, Thai people and government shows no care for traditional or historical architecture. I will like to believe that it is because the country have so much of it, so much to take care...or not control, but my heart hurts when I see beautiful temples and sites in "restoration". Restoration for Thai people means replacing the old for the new...or replacing the full building for a modern copy....Very sad.. Will take more hundred of years probably to destroy so much beauty.

I glad I will be not here to see the "restored" Thailand.....

Edited by umbanda

Good architecture doesn't exist when the building going up is built for profit or economy as a business.

The new build moo baans fall into "built for profit" and the faceless commercial buildings are built as economical as possible.

Traditional detailing gets lip service on moo baans, well certainly the cheaper end.

You will however see some fantastic design and detailing on individually built plots and the large private hotel or restaurant chains, where the design is actually their advertising aswell.

But its no different to anywhere else in the world, if you have the money then you can have your own unique design.

Isn't that the top of the tree status symbol for most people.