Brit going to Thailand, which visa?

Apologies that I've not spent days reading all the threads, it'll just give me less time to get sorted but I will do some more reading I promise

On March 25th I fly to Thailand for 3 weeks for the birth of my daughter (my wife is Thai but after returning from her UK visit we realised she would be too pregnant to fly by the time the settlement visa was processed so we decided to wait until after the birth before applying).

My current plan is to go on a 30-day visa exemption as a tourist, but if she's late or has any problems work are aware that I may extend my stay for another week or two, but that'll take me over 30 days, so would I be better applying for a 60-day tourist visa ahead of my visit? Or, as I'll be staying an hour or two from the Cambodian border should I do a visa run just before the 30 days is up? The wife tells me the visa will cost a few thousand baht, is this true, is this a legit fee or "tea money"? What's the typical processing time for a 60-day visa, basically is 3 weeks enough time to apply by post?

3-4 months after returning to the UK, and assuming she's granted a settlement visa to the UK, she wants me to fly back out to help her with the baby and luggage so it's possible I'll visit again for a couple of days. For such a short visit should I just get a 30 day on entry or might I be wise doing it some other way?

Garry

Without a visa or a ticket out within 30 days you could be denied boarding your flight.

A tourist visa costs 25 pounds. It will only take a few days to get. You can do it by post to the embassy or in person there or at one of the consulates (issued while you wait at most of them). See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

Get a single entry tourist visa at Hull consulate, just to be on the safe side. That will give you 60 days + 30 day extension = 90 days. If you think you'll be longer, get a double entry which effectively gives you 120 days.

Call them on 01482 581668 - they are very helpful.

• Like 1

Without a visa or a ticket out within 30 days you could be denied boarding your flight.

A tourist visa costs 25 pounds. It will only take a few days to get. You can do it by post to the embassy or in person there or at one of the consulates (issued while you wait at most of them). See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

Thanks both. I'm currently booked for 3 weeks so do have a return flight, but if I need to stay and so have to change my flight I wasn't sure of the best option visa-wise. Don't want to be an over-stayer biggrin.png

To be on the safe side I'll go with the recommendation of a 60-day visa, and if I end up coming home on time all it's cost me is £25.

The tourist visa is a good decision. With the birth of your child to look forward to, you don't want the stress of having to do a border run when all you want to do is be your wife and, after the birth, with your newborn.

The tourist visa is a good decision. With the birth of your child to look forward to, you don't want the stress of having to do a border run when all you want to do is be your wife and, after the birth, with your newborn.

I forgot the form (left it at work yesterday) so can't post it until Monday, but I was unsure on exactly how to complete it so I wonder if someone wouldn't mind guiding me slightly.

1. Date of previous visits. Do I put "Oct 2014", "5th Oct 2014" or "5th to 20th Oct 2014"?

2. Purpose of current visit. Do I mention the birth of my child (will I then have to send a copy of the marriage certificate and will they then expect me to pay for a Non Imm O), or just put tourism?

3. Duration of proposed stay. Currently 21 days for which I don't actually need this 60 day visa and have to be careful they don't give me a 30-day visa at border control, so do I put 37 days taking me to my alternative preferred return date?

4. For departure travelling by. Same as 3 really, currently booked to return 20th April but if there are problems I'll change me flight to a later date. Due to Songkran there's nothing cheap before 1st May, but by the time I'm looking to change they could all have gone, so do I put 5th May to give me a few days leeway, or even stretch to the full 60 days?

Thanks....