US ambassador Kristie Kenney declines to give comments on Thai politics

webfact

The lack of any meaningful support for the 'democratically' elected Gov from most of the international community is clearly a sign that they have not bought into the Taksin spin doctors international efforts and if anything has raised more doubts about the legitimacy of the regime... apart from being a some what ridiculous notion that his sister with no meaningful qualifications for the role became his nominated prime minister. A country being influenced by a fugitive on the run is one which most Govs will give a wide berth too

Edited by Bkkbound

d if anything has raised more doubts about the legitimacy of the regime.

The government of Thailand is not a 'regime'. For better or worse it's a democratically elected administration. Don't like it?- vote it out.

I agree with you the current government is not a regime.

I also think the most recent elections lack a certain level of credibility, partly because the main opposition opted out, and yes there were reasons in addition to not being able to win related of course to the unusual situation with THAKSIN.

The current acting PM is part of a string of Thaksin led governments, yes?

What's the word for that?

Not regime.

But not anything resembling normal democracy either.

This is why I think westerners should totally BACK OFF, except to encourage eschewing violence.

Edited by Jingthing

The US is in a tough spot here. The US was pretty aligned with and supportive of Thaksin all along. However, the US should at least be voicing out something along the lines of hoping that the bipartisan parties will get behind the nomination and election process, and let the Thai people decide. One man one vote, equal rights for all. The US should stand on its own principles when asked.

Although Thailand remains somewhat Strategic for The U.S. Both economic and political dynamics of Southeast Asia have changed radically in the past few years. Thailand now holds less significance than any time in the resent past. Thailand seems to be relegating itself into a small time player in the global market via political kleptocracy. Had the current Ambassador been reassigned to to South Korea. I would perceive it as a promotion. However, keeping her here for her full term confirms faith in her ability.