Army to secure downtown Bangkok with 117 more checkpoints

webfact

Hardly. Get real. That's where foreigners go anyway- the locals go to low profile places where the Mrs. won't find out- not the main issue at hand now.

dam_n really? Your knowledge is legendary rolleyes.gif (Btw i didn't really think the army were fighting in house who gets nana)

Edited by negreanu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game Over rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

You might be right that the game will soon be over, but which game? Suthep's side show or the real power struggle? What happens next will be determined by who emerges victorious in the real power struggle. Either way, there will be one group, backed by influential people, who will be disappointed. I suspect the army are positioning units in readiness for for that event. After all, the army are always on the winning side.

Lots of "get rid of shins to end the corruption and problems". I doubt that if they are ridded from the land there will be a new dawn and all vested interests and corruption will be gone. If my doubts are realised will the conclusion be that it wasn't the shins at all? What way then?

• Like 2

coup next week for sure.

The red shirts won't surrender this time. I just hope the yellow shirts and army remember they brought it all on themselves.

What red shirts?

The last time that they tried to take Bangkok and oust the anti government protestors they realized that they had made a very big mistake and went back home with their tails between their legs.

Now they are reduced to carrying out cowardly hit & run terrorist tactics.

The red shirts are loosing support at a rate of knots and are now a spent force.

Are you really so soft in the head that you believe these bullies can take on the army?

Redshirts losing support?????? Just because of a few million rice farmers????

Not so fast, lad. There are STILL plenty of brainwashed redhsirt-fanatic-luntac-leaders AND their brainwashed followers who would die-hard for their leader in Dubai. Trust me. This bunch is still plenty and they're getting paid under the table to uphold REDEMOCRACY aka THAKSINOCRACY

any more questions???

Relegating the poor to a substandard education.

The yellow shirts have never wanted a population of citizens capable of critical thinking.

They don't want educated well informed voters.
They want workers.
Didn't the Royalist yellow shirts have a fair crack of the whip to mould Thailand's history the past 100 years?

Until you change the education system here, its going to be ground hog day for a very long time to come.

The yellow shirts have got what they wished for.
An uneducated people to control.
They just didn't bank on it being a red shirt controlling them.
  • Like 1

While the army are doing this the police can carry on doing their normal checkpoint duty to get tea money, Surely this is police work they should be ordered to end their checkpoints for no hat offenders and man these.

The police have far more experience at manning road blocks, it's an everyday job collecting. But they would not be collecting so there is no reason to do it.

You're obviously not familiar with how the protestors feel about the police! In this current anarchic climate the mass presence of police at any of the protest sites would be very counter-productive.

I wonder when the army will be called upon to clear the protesters like they were ordered to do in 2010?whistling.gif

The yellow shirts have never wanted a population of citizens capable of critical thinking.

They want workers.
Didn't the Royalist yellow shirts have a fair crack of the whip to mould Thailand's history the past 100 years?

Until you change the education system here, its going to be ground hog day for a very long time to come.

In the last decade, most of which Thailand had a Thaksin controlled government, the only attempts to increase the education level of the masses were made by the Democrats. Most of those innovations were cancelled to pay for the crap tablets, which like Thaksin's governments, have never lived up to their claimed performance.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

coup next week for sure.

Key Positions are being covered

I do not think that there will be a coup for the following reasons:

1. Prayuth is playing a waiting game,

a. waiting for the NACC legal process to be completed and

b. 4th March is the deadline for the parliament to be convened - am impossibility in the present circumstances.

2. Prayuth retires in September and he does not want to sully his reputation the way that Sonthi did.

Given the above, there is no reason for him to have a coup. Events will inexorably grind to the demise of the current caretaker government.

It when the two situations in para 1.a above reach their finality, the current caretaker government will no longer be the government in which case the question of a reforming, non-elected government will arise. It will not matter if the PT nominate a new PM. It will not be accepted by the courts as many of the current government will be the subject of prosecution for their part in the corruption in many of the projects they sponsored.

If the red shirts create trouble, then martial law will be declared to contain them. Once the current government falls, the PRDC will have achieved its objectives and will disband. Suthep has stated many times that he has no intention of participating any further in the political process. Whether the members of TV believe him is entirely up to them. Personally, I don't care.

One last point. If the suggestion that Anand Panyarachun becomes the interim PM, I believe that the majority of Thai, (I exclude the hard core red fanatics) will gladly accept the new interim government. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

They won't. Events are moving too quickly for that to happen. The protesters will go home when the government cannot form a parliament before 4th March. The constitution clearly states that in the event that a new parliament cannot be formed within 30 days of an election, an interim government will be formed. The nature of the next government will be decided by the Constitutional Court, not by PT.

They won't. Events are moving too quickly for that to happen. The protesters will go home when the government cannot form a parliament before 4th March. The constitution clearly states that in the event that a new parliament cannot be formed within 30 days of an election, an interim government will be formed. The nature of the next government will be decided by the Constitutional Court, not by PT.

Presumably if that happens, the anti-democracy protestors will be replaced by the red shirt protestors! Maybe that's why the army is getting into position now?

• Like 1

While the army are doing this the police can carry on doing their normal checkpoint duty to get tea money, Surely this is police work they should be ordered to end their checkpoints for no hat offenders and man these.

The police have far more experience at manning road blocks, it's an everyday job collecting. But they would not be collecting so there is no reason to do it.

You're obviously not familiar with how the protestors feel about the police! In this current anarchic climate the mass presence of police at any of the protest sites would be very counter-productive.

I wonder when the army will be called upon to clear the protesters like they were ordered to do in 2010?whistling.gif

Would not be counter productive if they conducted themselves in the role that they are supposed to fill. This is not the case -ask around how much respect and integrity they hold with the Thai people. near nil.

Your not obviously familiar with the contempt/hate for them in how they take care of the people.

My comments about the topic are quite clear----they could do the job if they were not busying themselves collecting money-and used their time in having a strong FAIR and respected presence .

To clear up thugs OR clear up peaceful protesters. 2010 were mainly arsonists pillagers armed thugs, and violent gangs, history proved that. In most other countries casualties/deaths would have been extremely high.

This walk about is a different ball game.

They want workers.

In the last decade, most of which Thailand had a Thaksin controlled government, the only attempts to increase the education level of the masses were made by the Democrats. Most of those innovations were cancelled to pay for the crap tablets, which like Thaksin's governments, have never lived up to their claimed performance.

Look, both sides are corrupt.T.I.T

Both sides are falling the people.

But the yellow shirts have had the most practice at it.

Now the internet is in Thailand the people are becoming self educated.
All Thais can read about there country's true history.
Why the yellow shirts educated their children abroad.
Why red shirt children were not afforded the same education.

The red shirts all ways win.

All that remains to be seen, is by how much and for how long.

The red shirts had very substantial wins in China, Vietnam Lao, Burma and Cambodia

And yet the Thai Royalist yellow shirts have paid no heed to what happened to all their neighbours, due to keeping the people so down trodden.

• Like 2

coup next week for sure.

The red shirts won't surrender this time. I just hope the yellow shirts and army remember they brought it all on themselves.

so in you opinion red shirts against a trained army will will

you forgot to say or die

funny My Thai wife said on TV last week that while they were protesting the ment many soldiers who said they will not be a coup

but the army will slowly just take over the streets and bring a new future for Thailand

Do not bother to ask me how as like you I have no idea, and any thing I say will just be a stab in the dark opinion just like you

But My Thai wife and her Thai friends feel the end for Taskin and his corrupt mob is at an end

Guess that is something to look forward to

reminds me of the late 60's when the American people stood up to the government and won

US boys were stopped being sent to die in Vietnam

coup next week for sure.

you forgot to say or die

funny My Thai wife said on TV last week that while they were protesting the ment many soldiers who said they will not be a coup

but the army will slowly just take over the streets and bring a new future for Thailand

Do not bother to ask me how as like you I have no idea, and any thing I say will just be a stab in the dark opinion just like you

But My Thai wife and her Thai friends feel the end for Taskin and his corrupt mob is at an end

reminds me of the late 60's when the American people stood up to the government and won

The red shirts had very substantial wins in China, Vietnam Lao, Burma and Cambodia

Presumably if that happens, the anti-democracy protestors will be replaced by the red shirt protestors! Maybe that's why the army is getting into position now?

Quite possibly, but I feel that, at this stage, it is to deter the red shirts from attacking the protesters. I saw in a previous post that the army has set up a checkpoint on Sukhumvit on the opposite side of the road to the Asoke intersection. I believe that this has been done deliberately to cut off the escape route of the attackers. Don't be surprised if we see more of these checkpoints set up in a similar fashion for a similar reason. After all, the announcement that 117 more checkpoints will be constructed over the next few days will more than provide enough to prevent any more attacks on all the protest sites.

In my view, the reason why there have been no arrests of the attackers, these attacks are being organised by a very bad section of the police closely allied to Thaksin. There are many very good police officers but the bad element causing the mayhem is, again in my view (although I have no proof) by the Metropolitan Police Chief, Lt. Gen. Kamonrat - the very guy that went to Hong Kong to have his new badge of rank pinned on him. He was also heavily involved in the disappearance of the Muslim activist lawyer ten years or so ago. His wife is still waiting for justice as are the innocent victims of Thaksin's anti-drug policy of 2002-2003. He is one very bad bast----d.

Again, these are just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by maggiemae

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

coup next week for sure.

Key Positions are being covered

I do not think that there will be a coup for the following reasons:

1. Prayuth is playing a waiting game,

a. waiting for the NACC legal process to be completed and

b. 4th March is the deadline for the parliament to be convened - am impossibility in the present circumstances.

2. Prayuth retires in September and he does not want to sully his reputation the way that Sonthi did.

Given the above, there is no reason for him to have a coup. Events will inexorably grind to the demise of the current caretaker government.

It when the two situations in para 1.a above reach their finality, the current caretaker government will no longer be the government in which case the question of a reforming, non-elected government will arise. It will not matter if the PT nominate a new PM. It will not be accepted by the courts as many of the current government will be the subject of prosecution for their part in the corruption in many of the projects they sponsored.

If the red shirts create trouble, then martial law will be declared to contain them. Once the current government falls, the PRDC will have achieved its objectives and will disband. Suthep has stated many times that he has no intention of participating any further in the political process. Whether the members of TV believe him is entirely up to them. Personally, I don't care.

One last point. If the suggestion that Anand Panyarachun becomes the interim PM, I believe that the majority of Thai, (I exclude the hard core red fanatics) will gladly accept the new interim government. Just my 2 cents worth.

And we should believe this with the same amount of credulity placed in his multiple statements of "this is the final battle. If we don't win this day, I will quit and turn myself in." ??

coup next week for sure.

What red shirts?

The last time that they tried to take Bangkok and oust the anti government protestors they realized that they had made a very big mistake and went back home with their tails between their legs.

The red shirts are loosing support at a rate of knots and are now a spent force.

Are you really so soft in the head that you believe these bullies can take on the army?

Man you got it totally correct.

If the army come out though it may not be an out and out coup, but more like a situation of martial law will exist.

The protesters can disperse and wait out the court to do their job for them and almost stroll in to complete their target of reforms and fair elections without any Thaksin influence anywhere.

This will then remove the attacker's soft targets that they have been preying on for months and so where do the reds go from here??? I will tel you... They will have absolutely nowhere to go. No protest site to act as a sitting duck for them, can't go into BKK at night under martial law... also can't gather there because it will be like an ISO on steroids.

Attack the army? I don't think they want to put themselves back in the 2010 situation.

They will just have to sit in isaan gnashing their teeth. They won't have anything else they can be capable of.

If they start spouting that they will divide Thailand, then there will be a huge response from the army, anyone getting on a stage to announce that will be an instant target for arrest on treason charges.

hey where you ate the same lunch that my wife was at

your comments are almost word for word

In house, Army fighting over who gets the Nana Bunker...pick me pick me.

Hardly. Get real. That's where foreigners go anyway- the locals go to low profile places where the Mrs. won't find out- not the main issue at hand now.

Buffalo Bridge is low profile

you have not lived in Thailand long I see

Game Over rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

You might be right that the game will soon be over, but which game? Suthep's side show or the real power struggle? What happens next will be determined by who emerges victorious in the real power struggle. Either way, there will be one group, backed by influential people, who will be disappointed. I suspect the army are positioning units in readiness for for that event. After all, the army are always on the winning side.

correction

the Army create the winning side

I wonder when the army will be called upon to clear the protesters like they were ordered to do in 2010?whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Would not be counter productive if they conducted themselves in the role that they are supposed to fill. This is not the case -ask around how much respect and integrity they hold with the Thai people. near nil.

Your not obviously familiar with the contempt/hate for them in how they take care of the people.

My comments about the topic are quite clear----they could do the job if they were not busying themselves collecting money-and used their time in having a strong FAIR and respected presence .

To clear up thugs OR clear up peaceful protesters. 2010 were mainly arsonists pillagers armed thugs, and violent gangs, history proved that. In most other countries casualties/deaths would have been extremely high.

I've lived in Thailand long enough to know that much of the police force is corrupt (a bit like the politicians and judiciary!) and to wish that there was a police force along western lines (i.e. slightly less corrupt and partly respected). So, in essence, I don't disagree with you.

My point is that in the current circumstances using the police to actively police the protest sites would be foolish and counter-productive.

Regrettably I think your wife and Thaivapor may well be right. The combined forces of the army and the judiciary will no doubt prove to be too much for those who wish to see a functioning democracy in Thailand. The anti-democracy movement may well win this battle, but ultimately I don't think they'll win the war.

• Like 1

coup next week for sure.

you forgot to say or die

and my thai wife has done well when she goes to Casinos

she has also lost

I wonder when the army will be called upon to clear the protesters like they were ordered to do in 2010?whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

I've lived in Thailand long enough to know that much of the police force is corrupt (a bit like the politicians and judiciary!) and to wish that there was a police force along western lines (i.e. slightly less corrupt and partly respected). So, in essence, I don't disagree with you.

My point is that in the current circumstances using the police to actively police the protest sites would be foolish and counter-productive.

My post agrees with you the bib are not up to the job and do not have the qualities.--The only alternative is the armed forces- OR the Shins get off the scene, once that happens I believe the red element would gradually fade. Then royal colours could flourish.

Regrettably I think your wife and Thaivapor may well be right. The combined forces of the army and the judiciary will no doubt prove to be too much for those who wish to see a functioning democracy in Thailand. The anti-democracy movement may well win this battle, but ultimately I don't think they'll win the war.

well I have been told my Thai wife wants to sell her business and our house in Udon and move to Hua Hin

coup next week for sure.

What red shirts?

"The Red Shirts are losing support at a rate of knots"

If this is true,when do you think the Yellows will feel confident enough to show up for an election?

Well its not democracy as we know it Jim but Prayuth seems to be a good man, sensible man and has the thoughts of Thailand and its people in his heart, you know what I think he would make a good leader/PM dont know about you.

What red shirts?

Redshirts losing support?????? Just because of a few million rice farmers????

Not so fast, lad. There are STILL plenty of brainwashed redhsirt-fanatic-luntac-leaders AND their brainwashed followers who would die-hard for their leader in Dubai. Trust me. This bunch is still plenty and they're getting paid under the table to uphold REDEMOCRACY aka THAKSINOCRACY

any more questions???

They want workers.

Then tell me why the Dems when in power raised the age of free education from 12 to 15 yrs and had a package of education reforms on the table, which were scrapped by PT in favor of tablets.

Then when you have done that tell me what PT have done in the last 2 years, besides the disaster of the tablets, to improve education.

Hang on I just remembered, they set up red schools so they could spread their lies and hate to the kids.

Another one who likes to call anyone who does not subscribe to the Thaksin cult yellow, could it be you are the one who needs educating ?