Popular DJ Josh Ezell dies in Phuket bike smash

webfact

Now that we know all his activities in Thailand since 2001, what are we going to do with the information?

Many thousand people die every year in motorbike accidents in Phuket, what is so special with this one?

R.I.P. Josh Ezell who ever you was.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bus driver in Thailand - says it all. Many have poor driving skills, poor vehicle maintenance, tight schedule, lack of sleep, who knows what substances injested. I see them charging along the roads, no chance of stopping in an emergency.

They come down Kata hill basically in neutral. Easily doing 70kph.

No stopping distance at all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A much better report by the PG.

I find this statement by the bus driver interesting ...

“The foreigner was driving his motorbike in front of me, going very fast. When I passed him on the curve, he lost control of the motorbike and fell.”

So if the bike was going very fast, how fast was the bus going when overtaking ?

We need more answers, where is all the desktop detectives when you need them? coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A much better report by the PG.

I find this statement by the bus driver interesting ...

“The foreigner was driving his motorbike in front of me, going very fast. When I passed him on the curve, he lost control of the motorbike and fell.”

So if the bike was going very fast, how fast was the bus going when overtaking ?

I too find this very disturbing. Bus driver tries to implicate Josh by saying he was going to fast, yet being the genius that he is, the driver then says he overtook the rider and the rider lost control. Guaranteed the driver cut back over and knocked Josh off. RIP Josh.

He was racing Josh, a busdriver lose face if a motorbike outrun him, especially if the mc driver is a falang, thais can never lose a race with any falang

I know all the RIP comments are well meant but I think when you're brown bread, "peace" & "rest" have very little to do with anything. And the image if him DJing up in the skies, well..... My heart goes out to the widow & child and I wish them a supportive recovery and renewed happiness down the road a ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is very plain to me that the tour bus driver either gunned down the motorcyclist from the rear or that he sideswiped him. Too many times here in Pattaya I've had tour buses go right at me either from the front or the rear. Not to mention a friend who is now brain damaged due to a tour bus colliding with his motorbike as he was taking his son to the Siricha Tiger Zoo.

The huge proliferation of tour buses, is due mostly to what I call "The Fearless Leader Kick Back to Beijing Syndrome". First off here in Pattaya I've noticed that nearly all passengers in the tour buses prowling around at night in search of restaurants, shopping and entertainment spots are Chinese. Each of these tour buses has a guide. Whenever possible he is going to direct the bus and his passengers to favored designations whose owners kick back commissions to him for whatever his passengers buy. He in turn sends the kickbacks to his bosses in China. I even had a Thai beer bar owner tell me that one night a Chinese man ventured into her bar. She asked him if he wanted a beer, and he said he had to wait until the tour guide came. When the fearless leader came in with the rest of his Chinese Army he asked the bar owner for a special price for his minions---120 baht a beer. The bar owner was selling beer for 80 baht so the tour guide was going to spit the overcharge with her.

This of course is being done all over Asia. Back in 1983 I got pretty close to our young Hong Kong tour guide who accompanied us to Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok. He'd take us to all these little cultural outings many of which we actually in the tour brochure. For example there was glass blowing and a Jade handicrafts factory, and naturally there was a small showroom where the tourists could all buy glass and jade items at inflated prices. But Larry didn't get to keep all the kickbacks for himself. His boss back in Hong Kong got to rake it all in to help him pay for his two Rolls Royces he had at his large home on Victoria Peak.

Needless to say with the huge explosion of Chinese tourists we can expect a lot more deaths to be dealt out by these irresponsible tour bus drivers not to mention the huge traffic congestion that is only going to get worse as the number of Chinese tourists continues to explode. Right now there's about an equal number of Russian tourists as there are Chinese. The difference is you won't see many Russians on these tour buses that have become a scourge to Thailand's cities.

Are you for real? i.e. Large bus, small undeveloped streets and roads = no room for multi vehicle . Its very plan to you the bus driver did this and that??? You have proof this happened ? You were there? Or its assumption at it's finest.

Tour buses have been coming at you front and back ? No side attacks ????

Ever thought this is normal driving conditions in Thailand ?

The foreigner was driving his motorbike in front of me, going very fast. When I passed him on the curve, he lost control of the motorbike and fell.

meaning that the bus driver was going even faster for the turn

RIP.

Easy to explain, they were both travelling the same way, suddenly the bus driver cut the corner and smashed the bike, as usual.

I have no idea what happened in this case, but near my home, I have had a number of close calls at a left-turning L bend in the road. I stay in my lane, but motorcyclists, one with two adults and two kids, almost always cut the corner into my lane. I've had to slam on my breaks and stop mid-turn in order to stop them from hitting me. None of them have stopped, of course. If I had been going full speed into the turn, I think there would have been more than a few collisions.

Regardless of who was at fault, RIP, Josh.

Almost the same happened to me a couple of times. T-junction, I came downhill turning around left corner. An elderly lady on her bike cut the corner. Fortunatelly I was able to stop before we hit. The very same story a few days later with the same lady.

It is very plain to me that the tour bus driver either gunned down the motorcyclist from the rear or that he sideswiped him. Too many times here in Pattaya I've had tour buses go right at me either from the front or the rear. Not to mention a friend who is now brain damaged due to a tour bus colliding with his motorbike as he was taking his son to the Siricha Tiger Zoo.

The huge proliferation of tour buses, is due mostly to what I call "The Fearless Leader Kick Back to Beijing Syndrome". First off here in Pattaya I've noticed that nearly all passengers in the tour buses prowling around at night in search of restaurants, shopping and entertainment spots are Chinese. Each of these tour buses has a guide. Whenever possible he is going to direct the bus and his passengers to favored designations whose owners kick back commissions to him for whatever his passengers buy. He in turn sends the kickbacks to his bosses in China. I even had a Thai beer bar owner tell me that one night a Chinese man ventured into her bar. She asked him if he wanted a beer, and he said he had to wait until the tour guide came. When the fearless leader came in with the rest of his Chinese Army he asked the bar owner for a special price for his minions---120 baht a beer. The bar owner was selling beer for 80 baht so the tour guide was going to spit the overcharge with her.

This of course is being done all over Asia. Back in 1983 I got pretty close to our young Hong Kong tour guide who accompanied us to Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok. He'd take us to all these little cultural outings many of which we actually in the tour brochure. For example there was glass blowing and a Jade handicrafts factory, and naturally there was a small showroom where the tourists could all buy glass and jade items at inflated prices. But Larry didn't get to keep all the kickbacks for himself. His boss back in Hong Kong got to rake it all in to help him pay for his two Rolls Royces he had at his large home on Victoria Peak.

Needless to say with the huge explosion of Chinese tourists we can expect a lot more deaths to be dealt out by these irresponsible tour bus drivers not to mention the huge traffic congestion that is only going to get worse as the number of Chinese tourists continues to explode. Right now there's about an equal number of Russian tourists as there are Chinese. The difference is you won't see many Russians on these tour buses that have become a scourge to Thailand's cities.

From your name and avitar I assume are western.

Why would you need a tour guide

RIP.

Easy to explain, they were both travelling the same way, suddenly the bus driver cut the corner and smashed the bike, as usual.

SAD for sure. Was the bus driver overtaking? Were you able to give a statement to the police?

This is why as much as I love Harley's I do not ride them. I'd rather have metal surrounding me in an event of a collision then me surrounding the metal.

RIP. The DJ world has lost another talent and someone a father, husband and son.

This has got what to do with Harley's???

You would rather be crushed in a burning wreck than be on a bike???

When your numbers up it's up I reckon

• Like 1

If you drive a motorbike in Thailand you are 100% responsible to watch out every second for any traffic around you. the bus and truck drivers are not educated and have learned driving from the dogs on the street primarily. They are most often on Ya ba and are crazy. they don't care about you and will often times go after you for fun. But at best they are not good drivers and never will be here in this country. Please watch out.

So the yabba idiots and drivers without licenses and /or a brain are not responsible for their stupidity??? It is your fault for not having 360 degree vision and lightning fast reflexes....
  • Like 1

Bus driver in Thailand - says it all. Many have poor driving skills, poor vehicle maintenance, tight schedule, lack of sleep, who knows what substances injested. I see them charging along the roads, no chance of stopping in an emergency.

Totally agree, saw one the other day with the engine compartment open, probably over heating, just waiting for some kid to stick his arm into the fan belt pulley... absolutely amazing. I asked an ex GF what the lines on the road were floor ...... mai roo.... I just replied "that explains a lot"

Although feeling sorry for this lost life, I noticed the Police saying:

"and died from head trauma. There was no helmet found"

A helmet could have saved his life, maybe not, but a higher chance of survival.

You can see many farang driving motorbikes in a fashion that they would not dare at home: shirt-shorts-flipflops-no helmet!!!

What is the matter with farang, behaving like the Thais they have so flaming comments on?

Bad enough Thais drive like that, let farang behave as they would at home!

I ride mountain bike in rural Isan, around my village I don't wear a helmet, but as soon I reach the provincial road (not a highway) I wear a helmet, your head is not made to hit a pavement, you always lose.

RIP DJ

I totally agree a helmet could have made all the difference, but seriously how many people over here have a DOT or equally approved helmet? The "ice crem buckets" that most Thai helmets are, are only to prevent you from getting a 300 baht fine anyway, they would do nothing in an accident!!! I personally don't mind spending $100 US and te tax involved for a little peace of mind and upping the odds of survival!!

I do agree however that the number of farangs you see not wearing a helmet, carrying their 3 year old child etc. is mind blowing. "Don't do the sensible thing" even if you know better, just copy the "local" population they have been doing it for years.....

I hope a complete drug check on the Bus driver is conclusive. People who don't stop for accidents mainly because of guilt.

Yeah the results of a test would certainly be interesting........

Probably subject to how much h paid for the "test" though I suspect...

RIP young fellow...

No one has commented on the probable fact he died from head trauma and wasn't wearing a helmet. This is the unspoken tragedy in this case.

SGH-I337 abusing Tapatalk Pro

Helmet, ice cream bucket, baseball cap same same.....

How many times have you seen a police officer just wearing a cap riding past the "100%" helmet signs? How can you expect ANYONE to respect the law when the "law enforcers" are breaking it everyday?

TIT, use your own common sense and / or pay the price, when are people going to be (take) responsible for their own actions? I occasionally ride without a helmet, usually late at night with less traffic, I have certainly weighed up the risks and have chosen to accept them when I do it !!

I have a Harley and ALWAYS wear riding boots, jeans a DOT approved helmet, and it is not enough really but if I take the skin off my arm it's my fault I knew the risks......

Life is a gamble, but being run off the road by some idiot bus driver...........

The baby and mother are the ones who shouldn't have to "pay" for this IMHO

• Like 2

SORRY Guys / Gals, this thread REALLY got to me.........

So many hypocritical replies, and this is something that could happen to any one of us over here. Accidents are a result of an accumulation of more than one factor......

It's ALWAYS the living that pay the price !!

If you drive a motorbike in Thailand you are 100% responsible to watch out every second for any traffic around you. the bus and truck drivers are not educated and have learned driving from the dogs on the street primarily. They are most often on Ya ba and are crazy. they don't care about you and will often times go after you for fun. But at best they are not good drivers and never will be here in this country. Please watch out.

RIP to victim, but we know his family won't RIP. This is terrible! Besides the above enlightenment, which I agree with, I say think about going faster than the traffic at all times. Use the fast lane with multiple lanes, never use the motorcycle (suicide) lane, and don't let any large vehicle catch you to run you off the road. You need a faster bike than the normal little ones, but it doesn't need to be super special. I've been riding since I was 9, and I'm serious in this advice. There is no perfect answer to this terrible problem, you just shake your head. A saddening lose.

Edited by Longtooth
  • Like 2

You can see many farang driving motorbikes in a fashion that they would not dare at home: shirt-shorts-flipflops-no helmet!!!

What is the matter with farang, behaving like the Thais they have so flaming comments on?

I ride mountain bike in rural Isan, around my village I don't wear a helmet, but as soon I reach the provincial road (not a highway) I wear a helmet, your head is not made to hit a pavement, you always lose.

RIP DJ

Let everybody make their own choices.

As you do, driving without helmet on local rides, with further away. And you're condemning others who drive without? Get real.

Quite dumb reaction, as you don't know the situation. When I ride in my 65 houses village, surrounded by sand roads, I see no buses, no trucks (except a single crawling old truck with sugar), not even a lot of sedans. It is the most quiet environment you can imagine. In that environment I ride in the village without a helmet, I can, there is no danger. When on the provincial road there are trucks, two-stroke trucks, quai lek and sometimes a bus or a song thaw. The danger is much higher as the road is asphalt and in spite of the potholes people can drive fast, that Thais mostly do as they also mostly leave too late, so in a hurry. That is a different environment and for sure lets me wear my helmet.

And with the recent accident involving a bus that killed 15 people, many of them students, the bus driver only possessing a car license. It is sad that people are being killed on the roads here in unacceptable numbers most due to the negligence of rules and laws. We all know that nothing will change however it does not mean we are no saddened by the news of deaths on the road.

Thus needing to be in your rearview mirrors at all times and get out of the way.

This last week I charged by a large filled dump truck creeping up the Kamala hill toward Kamala, on the way down when I saw that guy barrelling downhill coming up behind me fast, I pulled over.

RIP Josh, and everyone be safe out there, wear the dang helmet !

Absolutely! I have been cycling in Bangkok for five years which some say is a death wish. However, I always wear a helmet and I have both left and right rear view mirrors - and USE THEM (when I'm not daydreaming). If I see a potential threat approaching from behind (particularly buses and high-speed/closely-passing vehicles), I immediately look for a way to protect my A$$ even if it means leaving the roadway - admittedly, usually much easier to do on a bicycle because my speed is usually lower than that of a motorbike.

Most, if not all, of the bicycle defensive rules apply as well to motorbikes and vice versa. I'm a veteran driver and I recall many instances where I would not let a potentially dangerous passing situation involve me. I was usually in a vehicle that was quite capable of preventing it - either a MK III or MK IV (bi-turbo) Toyota Supra.

RIP DJ Josh (but we should all learn from his potential mistakes* or be a victim of them ourselves)

* = Allow passing by a much larger vehicle in a dicey, curve situation, not wearing a helmet (not confirmed).

Edited by MaxYakov

RIP young fellow...

No one has commented on the probable fact he died from head trauma and wasn't wearing a helmet. This is the unspoken tragedy in this case.

a friend is dead. the facts are there. why belabor the obvious?

Its a tragedy that likely could have been prevented. I belaboured the point in hopes of stirring others to consider the risk...that risk in Thailand is always real and very present.

RIP DJ

As you do, driving without helmet on local rides, with further away. And you're condemning others who drive without? Get real.

Quite dumb reaction, as you don't know the situation. When I ride in my 65 houses village, surrounded by sand roads, I see no buses, no trucks (except a single crawling old truck with sugar), not even a lot of sedans. It is the most quiet environment you can imagine. In that environment I ride in the village without a helmet, I can, there is no danger. When on the provincial road there are trucks, two-stroke trucks, quai lek and sometimes a bus or a song thaw. The danger is much higher as the road is asphalt and in spite of the potholes people can drive fast, that Thais mostly do as they also mostly leave too late, so in a hurry. That is a different environment and for sure lets me wear my helmet.
You're on the rosd, that means there is danger.

Sometimes I do the same close to home, knowing I take an extra risk. Pretending or thinking there is no risk and accusing me of a dumb reaction? :-)

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

RIP DJ

Sometimes I do the same close to home, knowing I take an extra risk. Pretending or thinking there is no risk and accusing me of a dumb reaction? :-)

You keep doing it. You pretend to know the risk I take? Really? I think I'm in a much better position to say riding in my tiny village is a no risk event. The village is a stretch of 500m sand road with 5 minor sand roads. The only traffic concerns toddlers on plastic 3-wheelers. So no risk, got it?

RIP DJ

You keep doing it. You pretend to know the risk I take? Really? I think I'm in a much better position to say riding in my tiny village is a no risk event. The village is a stretch of 500m sand road with 5 minor sand roads. The only traffic concerns toddlers on plastic 3-wheelers. So no risk, got it?

Anytime on any road is a risk. No risk does not exist in life.

RIP DJ

If only he, and everyone else, had the "choice" of a proper metered taxi home, instead of having to ride a bike.

He was mature of age, and experienced in all things Thai, and a professional, yet, he too, has become a victim of the lack of transport options here.

The "I'm an expat, so the transport issue here doesn't bother me" crew are always quiet when there's a thread like this. The same crew i ask, "Well, how do you get home after a night out?" Never a reply.

RIP.

Yet another victim of the "influential people" on Phuket, controling the essential service, transport.