US urges probe into Thailand attacks

webfact

US urges probe into Thailand attacks

WASHINGTON, March 1, 2014 (AFP) - US Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday called on Thailand to investigate "politically-motivated" attacks, denouncing the deaths of several children as "horrifying."

"As allies and close friends of the Thai people, we are profoundly saddened by the deaths and injuries that have shaken the country," Kerry said in a statement.

"I call upon Thai authorities to investigate these attacks swiftly and bring those responsible to justice," he said, adding "violence is not an acceptable means of resolving political differences."

Thai opposition protesters seeking to force Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office said Friday they would abandon most of their rally sites in the capital, ending their self-styled "shutdown" of Bangkok, which has lasted some four months.

The move follows increasingly frequent gunfire and grenade attacks targeting the protest sites, mostly at night.

Violence linked to the rallies has left 23 people dead and hundreds wounded in recent weeks, including four children killed in two separate grenade and gun attacks on opposition rallies last weekend.

"As a father and grandfather, the death of several innocent children is particularly horrifying, and must at last be a wake-up call to all sides to refrain from violence, exercise restraint, and respect the rule of law," said Kerry.

He insisted that the United States does not take sides in Thailand's politics, saying it was up to the Thai people to resolve their differences.

But he highlighted US concern about "the employment of other tactics that undermine Thailand's democratic values and processes, inhibit compromise, and further exacerbate political tensions."

"All sides should commit to dialogue in the spirit of seeking common ground to address differences and find a peaceful, democratic way forward," he added.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-03-01

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sat on my balcony having breakfast I Just saw some American warships off the coast of Koh Chang, maybe Team America is about to liberate Thailand.

Annual Joint Multi National Military Exercise "Cobra Gold" is currently underway in Thailand.

Also, the US Military established Utapao Air Base, and have used facilities at Sattahip Naval Base, established and used many Military Bases throughout Thailand for decades.

The US and many multi national military hav used Thailand as a place for "R&R" Rest and Relaxation or shore leave also for decades.

That is part of how the Pattaya area has come to be a tourist spot.

Edited by quagmirefg
  • Like 2

Press Statement

John Kerry
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
February 28, 2014

We are deeply concerned by the ongoing politically-motivated violence in Thailand. As allies and close friends of the Thai people, we are profoundly saddened by the deaths and injuries that have shaken the country. As a father and grandfather, the death of several innocent children is particularly horrifying, and must at last be a wake-up call to all sides to refrain from violence, exercise restraint, and respect the rule of law.

I call upon Thai authorities to investigate these attacks swiftly and bring those responsible to justice. Violence is not an acceptable means of resolving political differences. We are also concerned by the employment of other tactics that undermine Thailand’s democratic values and processes, inhibit compromise, and further exacerbate political tensions.

The United States of America does not take sides in Thai politics. Ultimately, it is up to the people of Thailand to decide how they will resolve their differences. All sides should commit to dialogue in the spirit of seeking common ground to address differences and find a peaceful, democratic way forward.

Soucre: http://m.state.gov/md222778.htm

-- U.S. Department of State 2014-03-01

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Amazing Thailand. Some crimes can be solved in 24 hours, while other remain mysteriously unsolved forever.

And many are solved before they are committed.

The US has around 10,000 deaths per year by shooting.

I think the terror in the south of Thailand has managed 6,000 in 10 years.

And the protests in 4 months have managed 23.

Whilst Kelly is right that there should be a probe, and maybe a member of the FBI could be volunteered now that foreign assistance is in vogue, but I would postulate that his highest priority is closer to home where children are being shot dead in schools

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Several off topic posts and rants have been removed from view. Show some respect. This is about innocent children who have been killed, not about the policies of the US in other parts of the world.

Further off topic posts could result in posting holidays.

Sat on my balcony having breakfast I Just saw some American warships off the coast of Koh Chang, maybe Team America is about to liberate Thailand.

Annual Joint Multi National Military Exercise "Cobra Gold" is currently underway in Thailand.

Also, the US Military established Utapao Air Base, and have used facilities at Sattahip Naval Base, established and used many Military Bases throughout Thailand for decades.

The US and many multi national military hav used Thailand as a place for "R&R" Rest and Relaxation or shore leave also for decades.

That is part of how the Pattaya area has come to be a tourist spot.

Yes indeed. I was one of those evil Americans. I remember when Pattaya had only three restaurants and one actual hotel (The Nipa Lodge). There were a lot of bungalows because it was a major vacation spot for Thais as well. The water was crystal clear and the beach was clean. The American R&R center had a small PX were you could buy toiletries and cigarettes (handy when your paycheck ran out)

The beach was clean, the R&R center actually hired people to rake their beach. too bad it never caught on with anybody else. If you wanted entertainment of the female persuasion there was little available. Better import some from Taa Tan or Kilosip outside the bases.

I was there from 1968 until 1972 (the last two years in Bangkok) and married a Thai woman.

We went back together in 2002 and were appalled by Pattaya. Bangkok is still Bangkok just more so.

Nice place to visit but we couldn't live there anymore.

• Like 2

A signal in my opinion from the US that it knows the Shins are on their way out, because any investigation into this is only going to land the responsibility for the bombings on the Red side. If the US thought the Shins were safely ensconced, it would not want any investigation to further embarrass and destabilize them. In effect: the US is dumping its Shin allies.

You presume the authorities will actually conduct an investigation and you presume to already know the outcome, that is, which of the several sides the perps come from, definitely and positively - you also presume to know the United States is actively taking sides and which side the US singularly for sure supports, that both the US and the Shins are on the run from Suthep's forces of the good and the righteous.

An opinion has presumptions and yours are extreme and fanciful.

• Like 1

A signal in my opinion from the US that it knows the Shins are on their way out, because any investigation into this is only going to land the responsibility for the bombings on the Red side. If the US thought the Shins were safely ensconced, it would not want any investigation to further embarrass and destabilize them. In effect: the US is dumping its Shin allies.

This is why you are not a news commentator or journalist. But, your kids probably eat up your fairy tales.

• Like 1

Seems everyone is missing probably the most important line of his statement. The rest is just what is expected.

But he highlighted US concern about "the employment of other tactics that undermine Thailand's democratic values and processes, inhibit compromise, and further exacerbate political tensions."

Have you been to that bloke in Myanmar?

The US has around 10,000 deaths per year by shooting.

I think the terror in the south of Thailand has managed 6,000 in 10 years.

And the protests in 4 months have managed 23.

Whilst Kelly is right that there should be a probe, and maybe a member of the FBI could be volunteered now that foreign assistance is in vogue, but I would postulate that his highest priority is closer to home where children are being shot dead in schools

How many times do we have to post links showing that Thailand has the 3rd highest gun murder rate per capita in the world. Far higher than the US?

Let's get back on topic about child deaths in Thailand, OK?

Highest number if homicides per capita

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide_Rate.png

Firearms deaths

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Number of guns per capita

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

As an American I'm sick and tired of hearing this administration telling other countries what to do.

Whether it's Ukraine, Thailand, Egypt or Syria.

I ask Mr. Kerry what would happen if an armed group of thousands tried to overtake the White house by force?

Would this administration implore the UN or NATO to help?

No, sir. There would be heaps of bodies strewn about on the White house lawn. Shut your face and make some more ketchup Mr. Heinz/Kerry.

Attention Walmart shopper (on a cart?):

If you're really an American, you have a vote. Use it.

• Like 1