We favour a democratic Lanna republic, Chiang Mai group says

Lite Beer

Funny how he accuses Bangkok for wanting a dictatorship. Yet it is actually Thaksin that shows the most characteristics of a dictator. Lets see

1) Abuse of power for personal gain

2) Fleeing from justice

3) Trying to whitewash his crimes by implementing a new law

4) Tries to get an elected senate so that he can just buy his way in and replace all the members of the senate with friends/family

5) Having all political positions occupied by family members or friends.

A dictatorship is where you don't get to vote for the big boss.

Thaksin and Yingluck were both elected by the people, so not a dictatorship.

The yellow leaders were chosen by coup, so dictators.

Dictatorship isn't defined by corruption, it's defined by lack of votes.

1,2,3 Not connected to dictatorship.

4,5 is normal democracy in action, if you don't like it, don't vote for him.

Some dictators allow citizens to vote. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea is one. He is a “bizarre and brutal dictator” who has placed his relatives in the government’s key jobs and won the last three presidential elections with over 97% of the vote.

Calling them red water buffalo is the first reason fr them to separate!! Now i know why PDRC called them that!

You might think this is amusing.

But the reality is this sort of talk is extremely divisive.

It amounts to de-humanizing the opposition and that will go in return. The potential outcomes of that are quite horrific if it came to an armed insurrection - which is getting more & more likely.

• Like 1

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

And falangs.

Fed to hungry guard dogs perhaps ?

ah ok had to check first who published this - of course The Nation!

Nothing but rhetoric - why is this news??

A little back ground check would have revealed that the man speaks for maybe a 100 hard-core members of his group and that's about it!

He represents nobody in the North - his group are a bunch of thugs being used by their leaders. If confronted with some intelligent questions - like after the gay pride parade showdown a few years back in City News - they don't know what to say except repeat their leaders stupid rhetoric.

I personally know a few "red shirts" who do not want to be associated with this group - they want nothing to do with them - they despise them for their sometimes intimidating, violent behavior - they want to move forward with their agenda in a democratic way.

• Like 1

this people so stupid.

go away from my country please !!

Why are they stupid? Is it because they have expressed a view you disagree with? Their idea may only be a dream, fotr as far as I can tell, there is very little support for it. However, maintain your attitude and I am sure support will grow over time. You are part of the problem. Things will not get better in this country until attitudes like yours change.

Why are they stupid ?

Because instead of thinking how to unite and improve their life, they look for easy ways out and never ending hand outs.

Why are they stupid ? Because they actually think their fierce leader wants them to have better life, while in reality their fierce leader only wants to fill his pockets, rice scam is a perfect example of that.

Why are they stupid? Because they actually think they would be better of separated , as if they could manage to do anything.

If they could , they would have done something already, instead of pointing fingers and looking for someone to blame .

Why are they stupid? Because instead of at least finishing school, many chose to drop out to do nothing.

Sufficient enough?

I think there may be a misquote here...

Petchawat said people who prefer dictatorship can move from TO the northern region

Also, I doubt he has any clue what a Republic actually means. From Wikipedia... 'In modern times the definition of a republic is also commonly limited to a government which excludes a monarch.'

Lese Majeste anyone.

And to add if dear YK or any member of the caretaker government state they support this, they are committing a treasonable act as well

Funny how he accuses Bangkok for wanting a dictatorship. Yet it is actually Thaksin that shows the most characteristics of a dictator. Lets see

2) Fleeing from justice

4) Tries to get an elected senate so that he can just buy his way in and replace all the members of the senate with friends/family

Some dictators allow citizens to vote. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea is one. He is a “bizarre and brutal dictator” who has placed his relatives in the government’s key jobs and won the last three presidential elections with over 97% of the vote.

Uncle Bob in Zimbabwe always had a good turn out at election time as well

• Like 1

Petchawat Wattanapongsirikul and his Chiang mai friends will be arrested for les majesté very soon.

Not by the Thai police, they won't!!!

Meanwhile, I just want to know, if their idea should come to pass, will the Lanna-ites have to apply for Thai work permits and do their 90 day reports to Immigration, the same as us regular farangs??? tongue.png I certainly hope so!!!

Whilst Khun Petchawat comments could end up in him or her being imprisoned or assassinated, a decentralisation of power and wealth in Thailand, both geographically and economically, is both inevitable and desirable however it happens and whatever name it is given.

Why is it inevitable? Regions have zero tax raising powers. All major tax revenues are.paid to bangkok. That's it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope that the Lanka Republic can then finally be smoke and smog free on the winter month.

Don't worry about the smoke, the puppet is in CM right now fixing it, she said so.

2) Fleeing from justice

North Korea don't waste money on a vote as they are all of the same mind, The boss tells them this, When you get vast food aid for being bad. This has a similar tone.

2) Fleeing from justice

Marcos, Amin, Suharto, Hussein, Al-Bashir, Mugabe just for starters.......

Elected or dictators?

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope that the Lanka Republic can then finally be smoke and smog free on the winter month.

Don't worry about the smoke, the puppet is in CM right now fixing it, she said so.

They love the red flames on the hillsides, every year, because they always do it. Yingluck is doing what ??? apart from 2 years for the rest of the new millennium her family has been in charge and not stopped the smoke.

Let them cough and splutter up there, I feel sorry for the non reds who happen to live up in the area.

Yes, I agree, the system is completely lopsided and broken. This is why reforms are so desperately needed.

Like a high speed train to Chiang Mai that makes it just as far as Korat?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The proposed (but still unfunded) high-speed passenger-train to Chiang Mai doesn't go via Korat (which is a different line), and is currently envisaged as going via Phitsanulok and ending at Uttaradit (where the mountains & expensive engineering start), unless or until some fairy-godmother private-investor appears to complete the rest of the route (which currently takes several hours by rail).

But at least Yingluck's revealed what the lunch-boxes will contain ! facepalm.gif

I wonder where the border-post will be, what sort of Customs & Immigration would be proposed. by the republicans ?

Edited by Ricardo

Being a travel dude, you already know that the Democratic Republic of Sri Lanka is over a thousand miles west of Thailand.

2) Fleeing from justice

Marcos, Amin, Suharto, Hussein, Al-Bashir, Mugabe just for starters.......

Elected or dictators?

fiftytwo-----'-Yingluck elected by the people' sorry she was chosen by her brother.--not elected.

"And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail?"

Do you think that the law of Thailand agrees to separatism or to people that want to split up the country? In most countries it's a very serious offence.

These people have said that they just want decentralisation, not secession. And if you want to bring examples from other countries into it, look at the case of self proclaimed secessionists in Scotland, Wales, Western Australia, or multiple places in Canada. In modern times, as valid or invalid as their causes may be, I have seen no calls for them to be put in jail.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well maybe you believe their two faced propaganda that decentralization is the only thing that they want, after all we all got a right to our own opinion (not in the "Democratic" Lanna Republic, where singers with different opinion are not tolerated)

You refer to the Red Shirts as a single monolithic entity, when in fact they are far from it. I say this as someone who actually knows many of them. There is a whole spectrum of views in the movement, as we can see from the event referred to in the OP, where the speaker called for only decentralisation while some people in the crowd were wearing headbands advocating more.

Decentralisation would take a lot of steam out of the movement, since the North and NE could vote in their own politicians to manage their own internal affairs without fear of coups and the like. Many in the Red Shirts would feel like they have achieved enough of their goals. It would also defuse the situation in Bangkok, since even if Lanna-Isan voted in Thaksin as Prime Minister, he would not be able to have any involvement with affairs outside his consituency (and probably not even be able to travel south since I doubt the Bangkok government would approve amnesty for him).

However, if the decentralisation movement is suppressed, then the more radical elements in the Red Shirts will continue to gain support, and Thailand will continue towards civil war. Sadly I feel that this is the most likely outcome.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree, the system is completely lopsided and broken. This is why reforms are so desperately needed.

Like a high speed train to Chiang Mai that makes it just as far as Korat?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The proposed (but still unfunded) high-speed passenger-train to Chiang Mai doesn't go via Korat (which is a different line), and is currently envisaged as going via Phitsanulok and ending at Uttaradit (where the mountains & expensive engineering start), unless or until some fairy-godmother private-investor appears to complete the rest of the route (which currently takes several hours by rail).

But at least Yingluck's revealed what the lunch-boxes will contain ! facepalm.gif

Why do they want a high-speed train to Bangkok for? They just said that they want to split with Bangkok and south Thailand, maybe a high wall would be better?

2) Fleeing from justice

In both Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea, the elections have been condemned by the international community as the shams that they are. In contrast, the only international condemnation I hear regarding elections in Thailand is directed towards the actions of anti-government movements that have sought to prevent it from happening.

• Like 1

You refer to the Red Shirts as a single monolithic entity, when in fact they are far from it. I say this as someone who actually knows many of them. There is a whole spectrum of views in the movement, as we can see from the event referred to in the OP, where the speaker called for only decentralisation while some people in the crowd were wearing headbands advocating more.

Decentralisation would take a lot of steam out of the movement, since the North and NE could vote in their own politicians to manage their own internal affairs without fear of coups and the like. Many in the Red Shirts would feel like they have achieved enough of their goals. It would also defuse the situation in Bangkok, since even if Lanna-Isan voted in Thaksin as Prime Minister, he would not be able to have any involvement with affairs outside his consituency (and probably not even be able to travel south since I doubt the Bangkok government would approve amnesty for him).

However, if the decentralisation movement is suppressed, then the more radical elements in the Red Shirts will continue to gain support, and Thailand will continue towards civil war. Sadly I feel that this is the most likely outcome.

The red shirts have been voting in their own politicians for about 10 of the last 13 years. How has that helped them?

Calling them red water buffalo is the first reason fr them to separate!! Now i know why PDRC called them that!

You might think this is amusing.

But the reality is this sort of talk is extremely divisive.

It amounts to de-humanizing the opposition and that will go in return. The potential outcomes of that are quite horrific if it came to an armed insurrection - which is getting more & more likely.

He sounds like a quai to me.

In both Zimbabwe and Equatorial Guinea, the elections have been condemned by the international community as the shams that they are. In contrast, the only international condemnation I hear regarding elections in Thailand is directed towards the actions of anti-government movements that have sought to prevent it from happening.

In most of the places mentioned in the earlier posts, the elections started out being "free and fair". Slowly, the dictators got their claws in and changed that, much as Thaksin has attempted to do while he has been in power.

• Like 2

Three very good reasons to start your own republic:

1. They call us water buffalows
  2. The oposing group don't respect the law, and the judicial system is bias
  3. the undemocratic asperation of the PDRC

The man must be really desperate. He has no clue what he is saying/doing. On top of it he is calling his state the "Peoples Democratic Republic of Lanna". Mr. Petchawat, a republic has a chosen president as head of state, not a monarch.

What you are suggesting mr. Petchawat under the Thailand law i think is treason, but fortunately you abide to the law (see point 2 of your excellent reasons for your republic), so you will be ok to accept the punishment for your actions?

• Like 1

Well maybe you believe their two faced propaganda that decentralization is the only thing that they want, after all we all got a right to our own opinion (not in the "Democratic" Lanna Republic, where singers with different opinion are not tolerated)

Normally the radicals are the ones with the laudest voices, I don't think the modest red shirts fractions want a separate "Democratic Lanna Republic"

ginjag, on 02 Mar 2014 - 09:36, said:
smovi57, on 02 Mar 2014 - 09:05, said:

Thaksin always one move ahead.

Like Montenegro, then Dubai ???

Or anywhere else in the world, except Thailand. You do understand that Thaksin is free to move around as he wishes, that abhisit and the dems were lying about the Interpol warrant, and did so for over two years?

• Like 1