Question Re. 1 Day Overstay At Maesai/takilek

I recently was in Bkk & saw that there is no charge for a 1 day overstay if leaving Thailand via Don Muang airport. Is the same true for a 1 day overstay when going into Burma via Maesai/Takilek? My 30 day tourist visa expires on a Friday, and it'd be most convenient to do my visa run on a Saturday, but I don't want to risk a 500 baht fine unless I'm sure there won't be a charge there for a 1 day overstay.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

- Daeng

I recently was in Bkk & saw that there is no charge for a 1 day overstay if leaving Thailand via Don Muang airport. Is the same true for a 1 day overstay when going into Burma via Maesai/Takilek?
I have seen posts indicating that the one-day grace period is granted only at international airports, not at land borders. At any rate, there is nothing official about this grace period and whatever the practice may be today, it can change from one day to the next. My advice: take no risk, do your border run not later than Friday, even if it is a little inconvenient.

---------------

Maestro

Regardless of any grace period your passport will be marked as an overstayer. At present those with 40 days or more seem to be blacklisted for a period of one year. Although there should not be repercussions for a one day overstay other than possible 500 baht fine it would put you on the radar screen and most likely be displayed on computer every time you pass though. I would make the run on Friday. You should have done it last Saturday if a weekday is a problem. As there is no such thing as a 30 day tourist visa you seem to be here on a 30 day entry without visa stamp for tourist only so one day should be the same as any other as you are not tied to a work schedule.

Regardless of any grace period your passport will be marked as an overstayer. At present those with 40 days or more seem to be blacklisted for a period of one year. Although there should not be repercussions for a one day overstay other than possible 500 baht fine it would put you on the radar screen and most likely be displayed on computer every time you pass though. I would make the run on Friday. You should have done it last Saturday if a weekday is a problem. As there is no such thing as a 30 day tourist visa you seem to be here on a 30 day entry without visa stamp for tourist only so one day should be the same as any other as you are not tied to a work schedule.

agree 100%. if you want to live hassle-free in Thailand for a long time, or visit the country as many times as u want, avoid by ALL MEANS to do even the smallest thing that could be illegal and make u find urself in any computer system of the Thai authorities...... (this goes for ANY country in the world actually......).

I recently was in Bkk & saw that there is no charge for a 1 day overstay if leaving Thailand via Don Muang airport.

Yes the 1 day grace is at the airport only.

There was a Korean guy last weekend in the queue at Baen Laem in front of me that got in a heated argument with the imm officer about this.

The conversation went on for 10 mins something like this.

"No overstay"

"You overstay 1 day"

"No overstay"

"You overstay 1 day"

etc.. etc...

A blacklist for any stay fine of the max 20k was reported here but attempt to confirm at a border crossing resulted in a post that they had not heard of any such policy.

Hi Lopburi, Do you know if this "blacklisting" is inforce at all exit points or is it just at Don Muang?

Don't wait. I arrived half-dead straight out of the hospital late on my last day (at Chiang Mai Imm.Police) one document short. When I returned the next day, they shafted me. I went to the border ASAP and he fined me for three days and put a black mark in my passport, refusing to honor the Thai doctor's statement in Thai.

General consensus: don't wait.

If you go on Saturday you will be charged with THB 500.-.

At landborder there is NO graceperiod.

I talked today with Immigration officials and they confirmed no change in current procedure .

People who are fined THB 20K for overstay are generally not blacklisted.

I'll also update the other thread , but this blacklist is not officially announced yet.

I would not be surprised if this will be official policy sooner or later as the Authorities would like to make it inconvenient for casual overstayers.

I do not think that there will be a crackdown , just increase the pressure.

General Rule : DO NOT OVERSTAY