Thai Police hunt driver who fled fatal school bus crash

webfact

"Police said they'll charge Sompong with reckless driving resulting in death and fleeing the scene of an accident."

500 baht fine and a slap on the hand of they find him .........

The prison poulation in Thailand is 381/100,000 population and ranked 18th highest in the world.

With all these alleged 500 Baht fines and slaps on the hand being doled out as claimed by many TV'ers, one can't help wonder how the prison population rate got so high.

attachicon.gif800px-Prisoner_population_rate_world_2012_map.png

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Sorry impressive statistics ole boy but no gold star for you.

What percentage of the Thai prison population is incarcerated for Traffic related offences?

Clue...just above zero.

What percentage of the Thai prison population is incarcerated for drug related offenes?

Clue...Just below 100.

Why are so many people sent to jail for drug offences and so few for killing someone with a bus, truck or car?

Clue...the evidence seized in a drug arrest can be resold.

• Like 2

The first Thai news stories of this tragic accident only mentioned that the driver didn't have a commercial license, according to the police quoted in the story. The Thai news never mentioned in the early notices of the story that the Thai driver fled again. Thailand must be starting to become ashamed of this fleeing accidents as commonplace. The news press should be equally ashamed of not reporting this earlier and campaigning for Thais to be responsible in the event of an accident and try to help others.

If you look at the brush and forest up there, where the hell do you flee to?

Is he Ray Mears or Bear Grylls?

The first Thai news stories of this tragic accident only mentioned that the driver didn't have a commercial license, according to the police quoted in the story. The Thai news never mentioned in the early notices of the story that the Thai driver fled again. Thailand must be starting to become ashamed of this fleeing accidents as commonplace. The news press should be equally ashamed of not reporting this earlier and campaigning for Thais to be responsible in the event of an accident and try to help others.

If you look at the brush and forest up there, where the hell do you flee to?

Is he Ray Mears or Bear Grylls?

come to think of it, I did see a paranoid looking guy trotting along the road at some distance from the accident scene. About the right age too. You don't often see Thais trotting. Oh well...

"Police said they'll charge Sompong with reckless driving resulting in death and fleeing the scene of an accident."

May I borrow your crystal ball? I want to see what the stock market will be doing next week.

Many thanks.

No Buddy, this will be more serious, 15 young people are lost, and many more in hospital. The driver an ordinary guy so no-one high-so relative can protect him. This case won't be same when the high-so idiot girl has killed 10 people in high-way than could walk away in a nice mood with out any serious retortion.

The prison poulation in Thailand is 381/100,000 population and ranked 18th highest in the world.

With all these alleged 500 Baht fines and slaps on the hand being doled out as claimed by many TV'ers, one can't help wonder how the prison population rate got so high.

What percentage of the Thai prison population is incarcerated for Traffic related offences?

Clue...just above zero.

What percentage of the Thai prison population is incarcerated for drug related offenes?

Clue...Just below 100.

Why are so many people sent to jail for drug offences and so few for killing someone with a bus, truck or car?

I may have missed something here. Where is the supporting data for the Thai prison population for traffic and drugs related offenses that you refered to?

Also, is there someone awarding Gold Stars out there? Sounds rather like my elementary school days. Oh..a joke or barb perhaps?

Ashamed, responsible,social minded , not in this lifetime.

You're right, and I would think that especially in this case, he would be subject to the full weight of the law. I mean, he killed 15 people (unintentionally of course, but manslaughter is still a crime nonetheless), ran away from the scene (which made it a whole lot worse) and therefore once caught he can expect 20 years or something like that - you can't possibly bribe the police to get out of something like this.

Reckless driving occasioning death and manslaughter are two totally different charges. Not that this is any benefit to those who have passed away. The principal of the school should also be charged for not ensuring a trained driver was behind the wheel and face life in prison as well as the driver. About time Thais took responsibility for their actions. When will this nation learn?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Accountability, and responsilibilty. Not in Thailand!

There is no word in the Thai language for "accountability". It simply does not exist. Doesn't that explain a lot?

ความรับผิดชอบต่อการกระทำของตน or if you want a transliteration, khwaam rap phit chaawp dtaaw gaan gra tham khaawng dtohn.

Where do these urban legends come from?

Clue...just above zero.

Clue...Just below 100.

........sigh. coffee1.gif

How many might have been saved, if the driver had some first aid training, and stayed to help? Maybe one or two? How many of the teachers has some kind of first aid training? How many of the first people that arrived, had first aid training? Probably zero. Seems that first aid is learned after watching soap operas for years. I have never seen anyone giving first aid, just shaking the injured and crying.

• Like 1

And who hired this driver? What's their responsibility in this avoidable tragedy?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The owner of the bus bears a large degree of culpability inasmuch as it was his responsibility to check that the driver was correctly licensed and capable of operating a passenger bus.

As most readers are aware, Thailand falls well behind others in the enforcement of safety rules.

IMO, the best drivers are usually the ones operating new semi trailer units hauling chemicals and petroleum etc. You don't get the keys to a 40,000 litre Shell or PTT tanker unless you've been through training school, and hazardous materials classes.

But, having said that, accidents (incidents) still happen.

actually you can and do

same thing happened on petchbury rd when an lpg or petrol tanker hit the concrete and bursted

the driver saw what happened ,got out and ran like hell and lots of people burned to death in their cars when it exploded

it seems like the best thing to do when shit happens is get as far away as you can for all these drivers of large machinery

who maybe under the influence of a whisky bottle or a crack pipe as well

I almost get physically ill when I think about all those poor kids who put themselves in harms way by trusting the school, the teachers, the bus driver and the company that owns the bus

All of whom share responsibility for this tragedy but none will accept any accountability

Yes, the bus driver will eventually take the fall, but how about all the enablers in this sad saga

• Like 2

I am pleased to hear of that prison rate. It does give me faith that there is some justice in this country. "Do the crime do the time"

A bus driver isn't likely to be from privileged roots. He will have to face the charges.

Every vehicle driver in Thailand knows the Thai rules of driving.

If you are involved in an accident and you are still able to walk, run away from the spot of the accident as fast as possible and turn yourself to the Police after a few days.

Advantages:

- You avoid to get lynched on the spot by angry bystanders.

- You get the time to sober up from any substances in your body (alcohol, drugs, etc.)

- You get the time to fabricate a spin of the circumstances that will reduce your fault.

- After a few days, most of the people forgot what had happened and are more willing to forgive you.

- Thailand is a Buddhist country and the people STRONGLY BELIEVE that wishing somebody else bad will backfire to them in tenfold. So nobody will try to sue you but will let "Kharma" handle the things.

- Try to collect as much money as you can while you are on the run. "Money talks and shit walks".

Dosn't mean its right or justifiable. The country should be ashamed to accept that philosophy

And last but not least, by turning yourself in and showing remorse after fleeing the scene, you will get a reduction of 50% on any sentence that you might get.

Get of your high TV horse and learn something about Thai culture. It might help you a lot.

maggiemae, on 03 Mar 2014 - 18:06, said:
clockman, on 03 Mar 2014 - 11:16, said:

Accountability, and responsilibilty. Not in Thailand!

There is no word in the Thai language for "accountability". It simply does not exist. Doesn't that explain a lot?

accountability: การรับผิดชอบ amazing what 10 seconds on Google translate will give you.

Edited by Rorri

How many might have been saved, if the driver had some first aid training, and stayed to help? Maybe one or two? How many of the teachers has some kind of first aid training? How many of the first people that arrived, had first aid training? Probably zero. Seems that first aid is learned after watching soap operas for years. I have never seen anyone giving first aid, just shaking the injured and crying.

That unfortunately is the crux of the problem, they believe in fate and don't assist people that are injured in accidents until educated paramedics arrive. Buddhism doesn't help sometimes and nor does ignorance of what is preventable come to the average Thai mind. Sad but oh soo true...

That unfortunately is the crux of the problem, they believe in fate and don't assist people that are injured in accidents until educated paramedics arrive. Buddhism doesn't help sometimes and nor does ignorance of what is preventable come to the average Thai mind. Sad but oh soo true...

I don't know from what country you are, but I remember a popular TV program in my country.

Something like the "hidden camera" but not funny.

On one of these programs, a woman was assaulted by a man in the middle of a walkway and the man was beating the woman.

Most people looked at it and continued their way.

Others were pretending to be blind or deaf or both.

Some people even chose to take a turn before the place where it all was happening.

And guess what?

None of them was a Buddhist or Thai.

I don't know from what country you are, but I remember a popular TV program in my country.

Something like the "hidden camera" but not funny.

On one of these programs, a woman was assaulted by a man in the middle of a walkway and the man was beating the woman.

Most people looked at it and continued their way.

Others were pretending to be blind or deaf or both.

Some people even chose to take a turn before the place where it all was happening.

And guess what?

None of them was a Buddhist or Thai.

In Australia that would be against the law to not assist a person who is injured or hurt etc. Punishable by up to 7 years in goal. I am also commenting from my EXPERIENCE in Thailand Confucius.... We aren't talking about any other country but here. But for examples sake I have mentioned Australia, New Zealand has similar laws as well.

Did they forget to mention that he doesn't have a license to drive such a vehicle? Or is that losing to much face.... Barstard.

In other countries the coach operator would be responsible for ensuring the driver was licences to drive. This accident would carry charges of corporate manslaughter in UK. Here an envelop full of money makes things go away.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

• 1 month later...

Disturbing Video found on FaceBook - While I was scanning my FaceBook massages I came upon this video posted by (เชิดชัยทัวร์ กับที่นั่งเสริม (5/5/57) (see link below) showing a bus from supposedly from Chiang Mai, that has every space including the drivers and all walkways full of people, this bus looked packed, just imagine if this bus had an accident! There seems to be no control on buses or any one checking if these buses are following any rules (yeah right) and this is why there are so many fatalities in Thailand, truly amazing.