Is this something to worry about? (picture).

Shurup

Over the last few days I've developed some sores on my chest beside the nipple. My nipple (one only) was also sore and sensitive but today it feels mostly ok. The sores though still bother me and get very itchy when I sweat, they also hurt when I scratch them.

Someone has mentioned the ring worms and I can't get my mind out of it since, was originally going to wait it out and see if it goes away, should I be worried and go see a doctor?

Maybe the ring worm is not a proper name for the type of worm, but I know there is a worm that gets under the skin and lives there and it kind of makes the circular pattern sore on the skin.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-111234-13938332623336_thumb.jpg

on another note, looks like it may be shingles, but could also just be a rash.

ringworm is a fungal infection like athletes foot that manifests in circles. rinfworm, is no worm.

Edited by HooHaa

Most likely Herpes Zoster. May be worth while letting a dermatologist have it confirmed and then start on Acyclovir which will reduce the pain and also duration of rash.

Most likely Herpes Zoster. May be worth while letting a dermatologist have it confirmed and then start on Acyclovir which will reduce the pain and also duration of rash.

yes, as i said, shingles

Huh?? Herpes? Where could that come from?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh Dear ! Not "herpes" but Herpes Zoster !

Go here for an explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster

Hi there Shurup. It is impossible to diagnose over the internet and completely inadvisable to do so. Please go to the doctor. A little about herpes zoster for your info and not as a diagnosis. Shingles or herpes zoster is not Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) and unlike HSV is not sexually transmitted. If you had chicken pox as a child this is the adult version of that. It will usually grow in a pattern from the spine around the torso to the sternum. It should be diagnosed ASAP as it gets very painful (really, you don't want to muck around waiting). If you are diagnosed with this and the doctor doesn't ask questions about the health of your immune system then please feel free to private message me. Ok, so now we are assuming (for ghoulish kicks) that you have shingles, and someone suggested Acyclovir but I would choose the derivative brand named Valtrex which is available at most Boots in Thailand without a script. Valtrex is the chemical Valacyclovir and is ten times more bioavailable which basically means more gets in to your bloodstream so it works better, faster. Valtrex is also a 'pro-drug' meaning it has been formulated so that the liver has to do almost no work to synthesise it (good if you have liver problems or have had hepatitis A B C etc). Ok so after all this I will laugh if you message back to say that it was heat rash!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Most of us have Herpes in one form or another.

So OK folks, will shingles pass to other people if someone touch it?

I just got married 2 days ago and am supposed to be making a baby :D don't want them to pass to my wife though.

And yes, I have had a chickenpox as a child.

I'd be worried.

I would probably get to a waxing salon asap.

Then a few different doctors. It is Thailand so they will probably make up different things. Go with the answer that is averaged the most.

I probably wouldn't look for much medical advice on a forum.

Ok. Shingles is not transmitted from person to person. BUT if your partner hasn't had chicken pox she can get the virus when the rash is blistering and weeping and would then get chicken pox, not shingles. Dangerous for pregnant women and their babies. The advice is to avoid people who are immune compromised and pregnant women.Advice? Cover up.They always say "don't scratch" but that's impossible. Get diagnosed and start treatment immediately. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Went to see a doctor, turn out to be the Herpes Zoster, but she said that just by looking at it. Is it a normal way to diagnose? Got a shot of Aciclovir plus Aciclovir tabs (called Marvir) 5 days course, plus Paviria cream (Acyclovir 5% w/w).

Was also told no alcohol for 3 weeks (???) and no seafood????? I can understand no alcohol but why 3 weeks, I've only got enough meds for one week (not even). Can't understand the "no seafood" though.

Yep that's a pretty standard method of diagnosis - rash plus a description of the pain you're feeling. They can take a tissue sample but you wouldn't like that. If the treatment works then you know the doctor got it right. Buy acyclovir over the counter at Boots. I don't know about the alcohol and seafood but if that's what the doc said then follow it. You are going to hurt, it gets worse before it gets better so hunker down and rest.

Yep that's a pretty standard method of diagnosis - rash plus a description of the pain you're feeling. They can take a tissue sample but you wouldn't like that. If the treatment works then you know the doctor got it right. Buy acyclovir over the counter at Boots. I don't know about the alcohol and seafood but if that's what the doc said then follow it. You are going to hurt, it gets worse before it gets better so hunker down and rest.

Do you mean Valtrex at the Boots, that you've mentioned earlier, not acyclovir?

Oh, and it's not just the seafood, chicken also. I fail to see the logic behind it, chicken and seafood are protein sources, nothing else. How can these be better or worse than the beef, pork, eggs..?

Well I really hope with your last statement. When village folks heard of me going to see a doctor, they wanted to see what I've got and then the older folks went to say that they had the same thing and went to show some real ugly scars claiming they got them from the same rush.

My rush isn't itching anymore, barely bothered me before I went to see a doc and now it even looks better, but it's still a little too early to say.

Went to see a doctor, turn out to be the Herpes Zoster, but she said that just by looking at it. Is it a normal way to diagnose? Got a shot of Aciclovir plus Aciclovir tabs (called Marvir) 5 days course, plus Paviria cream (Acyclovir 5% w/w).

Was also told no alcohol for 3 weeks (???) and no seafood????? I can understand no alcohol but why 3 weeks, I've only got enough meds for one week (not even). Can't understand the "no seafood" though.

Had it just a few months ago and looked just like the photos. Also was diagnosed through visual exam the same as you. Even the nurses suspected it but the Doctor confirmed it. Also supplied with Acyclovir.

Not sure about the seafood as one document actually recommended it. Integrative mens health

Diet and Activity

No specific dietary changes are recommended.

Patients with shingles can perform activities as tolerated. Most are capable of self-restricting their activities on the basis of any limitations that may be imposed by pain; additional advice from physicians is rarely, if ever, necessary.

During the acute phase, patients should be counseled to avoid direct skin contact with immunocompromised persons, pregnant women, and individuals with no history of chickenpox infection. If the patient is hospitalized, contact isolation measures should be considered.

• Like 1

What iOS most worrying is that you have tried to get medical advice from Thaivisa.......THAIVISA!!!!!

Nothing wrong with this. There are quite a few knowledgeable people here, whose online diagnosis was exactly what a doc confirmed later.

Hey Shurup thinking of u today and hoping the rash has remained painless.

Yup, it's not getting worse for sure, was a little itchy this morning but then it went away. It never hurt really, just itches every once in a while.

Wife said it's getting better so I keep my fingers crossed.

@Tywais how long did it take for the rash to dissapear? Any scars remain?

About 2+ months before all symptoms went away. No scaring as they never fully pustulated, that is never really ruptured it seems. The itching seemed not much of an issue but the pain was as it migrated around different skin areas. I had what felt like muscle aches across the chest and sides and quite difficult some nights to sleep. The kind of aches you get when you've done upper chest exercises for too long. smile.png

From my research on it at the time it appears I had a pretty mild case, or perhaps the meds did reduce the symptoms.

• Like 1

After today I'd be out of pills but I still have Acyclovir cream left. Rash is still there (but it looks better than before), still no pain but it continues itching every once in a while. Should I go get more pills or this is it? Should I continue using the cream for a little longer?

Yup it was a pill every 4 hrs (don't know how many mg) and I was given 5 days worth of pills ??? Plus the initial injection. The cream run out after 2 days as it was a small sample pack, I bought more of it.

So folks, should I go get more of the meds? 5 extra days?