Thai Police arrest 'maniac' truck driver caught on video

webfact

Police arrest 'maniac' truck driver caught on video
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested the driver of a truck on Sunday made infamous recently after being caught on video for his dangerous road rage.

Angkoon Buathong, 27, reportedly told police that he swerved recklessly to drive another, smaller truck off the road after he saw an occupant brandishing a weapon.

In another account of the incident, the small truck's driver has come forward to claim it was all a mix up. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/04/police-arrest-maniac-truck-driver-caught-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-03-04
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously noone in the small truck is trying to shoot or otherwise attack the big truck at the beginning of the video, so it was not self defence on the part of the big truck. The big truck could have kept driving on normally, and nothing would have happened.

Instead he was upset about something the small truck may or may not have done in terms of blocking the road, so he decided to go crazy, as many truck drivers here tend to do. Should he not be in the inside lane anyway with a truck that size?

• Like 2

Both vehicles are to blame as is the owner of the video. Voices overheard are of men laughing about the situation and almost cheering on both vehicles. Almost like friends watching another plan Grand Theft Auto. The only reason this story came to light was because the video eventually found its way through popularity and eventually to the police.

Luckily no innocent bystanders were harmed. Especially the illegally overloaded pickups with passengers that were being passed.

• Like 1

Not quite sure why the pickup keeps trying to get past to be honest. The truck has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want that, and is prepared to use all ~40 tons of his truck to stop it. Pull over and let him get away.

What if somebody damages the side of your car as a result of their reckless driving you just keep going as if nothing happened?blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

2 months ago, I got an accident with a driver that changed lanes at the very last moment because he entered the wrong lane and tried to get in front of me, so he wouldn't have to wait in the long queue. He tried to push me of the road, but I just went straight on and didn't move a bit. So, he hit my car on the side.

My insurance came and we made pictures, he admitted he was wrong. It was very clear from the pictures. His insurance paid everything.

I thought it would be a good lesson for him. He was pretty upset he lost 2 hours time.

He said I was selfish because I didn't let him go first.

Now, 2 weeks later, the same guy in the same car, at the same place, had another accident by trying to push another car of the road....

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Maybe he forgot !!! small brain

Why such an aversion to truth here in the LOS? Does anyone just simply confess here? I screwed up. Sorry. He that ever been said? The relationship many Thais have with truth is perverse.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is planet Thailand......................of another universe/galaxy/timewarp!

Not quite sure why the pickup keeps trying to get past to be honest. The truck has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want that, and is prepared to use all ~40 tons of his truck to stop it. Pull over and let him get away.

What if somebody damages the side of your car as a result of their reckless driving you just keep going as if nothing happened?blink.png

I'd take down is registration (if I had the presence of mind) and report it to the police. If feasible then follow him at a safe distance and try resolve your differences when he stops. No way in hell I'd get into a ding dong like that with a 40 ton truck in heavy traffic. And anyway I'd rather have a maniac driving a truck in front of me than behind me.

Cars can be fixed or replaced and I have good insurance anyway. The truck driver had clearly lost it and that could have ended in multiple fatalities very easily.

I suspect there was some incident before the video started, and as Larry says a bit of machismo on both sides. I'm not immune to that myself, but the fact is a 2 ton pick up is not nearly as "macho" as a 40 ton truck if they collide.

• Like 2

how the majority of drivers on these roads ever passed an actual driving test is beyond me.

they drive like they think... foolishly, ignorantly, selfishly & dangerously.

in our soi, huge trucks rev the hell outta their engines before screaming up the 15meter soi and slamming on their breaks at the junction

they have destroyed the surface of the road and now they leave huge clouds of dust & mess every day!!

not to mention the taxi/ice-cream/mo-cy taxi vermin who piss in our soi EVERY day!!!

Chai-Yooooooooooooooooo!!!

Edited by edgarfriendly

Safety is my biggest worry here.

The maximum speed I drive here is 80 km/h.

I try to stay far away from all U-turns.

I avoid using the most left lane, where all the motorcycles are.

I avoid using the most right lane that is "misused" to jump the queue at U-turns.

I try to go with the flow, but keep a safe distance with the car in front of me.

But I am almost sure that within 1 year I'll have another accident.

I never had an accident in my home country.

Here I had 2 accidents in 2 years (1 serious).

But I see so many accident daily, that soon I must be involved in one again.

I need to drive 100km per day, on the same dangerous road.

My neighbor lost 3 children on that road.

Another neighbor has only half brain and head left and is paralyzed. He can still walk a bit, but can't talk. He collects and sells garbage now.

The restaurant owner nearby was crashed to dead (together with several others) by a truck while sitting in the songteaw, leaving a husband and children behind.

At least once a month I see a body covered with blankets.

I love Thailand, but if there would be one reason to go back, it would be safety in general.

This kind of image just makes me sick.

I keep mostly your rules, but

- you can't go max. with 80 in Bangna Trat in BKK.

- have to use U turn many times

- if you keep safe distance which is enough for a car within two minutes some-one will take your safe distance

- I have never been in accident situation (5o ooo km / year) but this was my special luck, and can be turned anytime.

Well i have never seen police stopping reckless drivers or doing anything about this kind of behaviour. That's why this will go on and on.

In BKK there are loads of expensive cars around so i wonder why their insurance-company's don't demand better drivingbehaviour of all drivers. The 500 baht for a driverslicense can also be 5000 or 50.000 because they all can afford a car of at least 400.000 baht. Also then many more family's won't loose their family-members in accidents and it will make less orphans.

These days everybody can afford a car, even the secretary's or macdonalds personell drive big cars in BKK.. It is time to maintain safety and the BiB are paid to do that. When they give serious fines they also can get a raise. I hope it won't end up like in Europe but i feel much better on the roads when those careless selfish idiots would get a serious warning.

Where you go wrong is that you apply logic to the situation. This is Thailand, remember?

Do truck drivers need a special license in LOS, or are they just driving on car licenses ?

Licence?? What licence?

The same kind of licence that James Bond has.

The encouraging thing about this story is that the police were spurred into action by social media. Now if more people can film this kind of driving and post it online it would be a big help. It would be a good thing if a Thai TV station could run a program where people could send in videos of driving like this. I'll bet it would get a huge response and it would put the frighteners on the maniacs, who would never know if someone was filming their driving.

• Like 2

Do truck drivers need a special license in LOS, or are they just driving on car licenses ?

Licence?? What licence?

The same kind of licence that James Bond has.

The encouraging thing about this story is that the police were spurred into action by social media. Now if more people can film this kind of driving and post it online it would be a big help. It would be a good thing if a Thai TV station could run a program where people could send in videos of driving like this. I'll bet it would get a huge response and it would put the frighteners on the maniacs, who would never know if someone was filming their driving.

Brilliant idea! Drive like a maniac and risk losing face in front of the whole nation! I have countless hours of Thai traffic stupidity from my dash cam.

Safety is my biggest worry here.

The maximum speed I drive here is 80 km/h.

I try to stay far away from all U-turns.

I avoid using the most left lane, where all the motorcycles are.

I avoid using the most right lane that is "misused" to jump the queue at U-turns.

I try to go with the flow, but keep a safe distance with the car in front of me.

But I am almost sure that within 1 year I'll have another accident.

I never had an accident in my home country.

Here I had 2 accidents in 2 years (1 serious).

But I see so many accident daily, that soon I must be involved in one again.

I need to drive 100km per day, on the same dangerous road.

My neighbor lost 3 children on that road.

Another neighbor has only half brain and head left and is paralyzed. He can still walk a bit, but can't talk. He collects and sells garbage now.

The restaurant owner nearby was crashed to dead (together with several others) by a truck while sitting in the songteaw, leaving a husband and children behind.

At least once a month I see a body covered with blankets.

I love Thailand, but if there would be one reason to go back, it would be safety in general.

This kind of image just makes me sick.

No-one needs to drive 100k a day. The solution is always simple. Find a job, then find accommodation as close to your job as possible, within walking distance. Maybe you are a traveling salesman. Also the value and condition of your vehicle must be in steep decline.

Just curious...Now why would the pickup driver make this statement:

"In another account of the incident, the small truck's driver has come forward to claim it was all a mix up. He was just changing lanes and Angkoon must have thought he was cutting the 18-wheeler off."

In the video he clearly crashed his truck. Sounds to me as he is trying to diminish the the situation. Aah...just let it go. "Mai Pen Rai...! After all didn't the truck driver say he thought he saw a gun being brandished?