Brand new car gets stuck in sand, then catches fire on Phuket beach

webfact

This guy drove in onto the sand and continue to thrash it to the point where friction caused it to burst into flames.

If they pay him out I'll be mighty surprised. Good way to disguise insurance fraud.

"...and continue to thrash it to the point where friction caused it to burst into flames."

No he didn't. The friction of the spinning tyres caused dry grass to ignite under the car which then caused the car ignite.

Just sounds so unlikely - super heated tyres - maybe, but more likely his wild accelerations caused damage to the engine and caused overheating, then fire.

"...more likely his wild accelerations caused damage to the engine and caused overheating, then fire."

That sounds even more unlikely. Overheated engines don't normally burst into flames, they have a cooling system that would fail first. Frantic attempted acceleration would cause the belt-driven radiator fan to spin faster and keep the engine temperature under control.

• Like 1

This guy drove in onto the sand and continue to thrash it to the point where friction caused it to burst into flames.

If they pay him out I'll be mighty surprised. Good way to disguise insurance fraud.

"...and continue to thrash it to the point where friction caused it to burst into flames."

No he didn't. The friction of the spinning tyres caused dry grass to ignite under the car which then caused the car ignite.

Or even more likely the heated exhaust came into contact with the grass and ignited it.

would be interesting to get a more detailled explanation of the reason for this fire. Maybe, it's the new A/C refrigerant R-32 or so. Currently excitedly discussed in Europe, and I am involved in the refrigerant business in a way

perhaps reading the story would be a good start.

Or even more likely the heated exhaust came into contact with the grass and ignited it.

Not "even more likely " at all..could just as easily be one or the other...

Did you not see this as posted earlier?

..http://youtu.be/MZ0nVos2gaw

I have pulled dozens of cars and trucks out of the sand at the beach with my 4x4 back in the USA. I've been pulled out a couple of times, too. If you drive on the beach, it's going to happen to you.

Overheating the tires to the point the grass catches fire may or may not be what caused the inferno. I would bet money the catalytic converter ignited the grass, and I've also seen that happen quite a few times- to cars parked in a field.

I chalk it up to bad luck and perhaps lack of experience being stuck- hardly Darwin material. But you guys just go on high fiving yourselves about your superior intellect...

• Like 1

>> I would bet money the catalytic converter ignited the grass, and I've also seen that happen quite a few times- to cars parked in a field.

A la Junior in the Sopranos!

Missed that episode. In fact, missed 99% of them.

At least his motor went to the beach. All new 997 GT-3s have been recalled by Porsche because they can burst into flames for no apparent reason and I'm pretty sure none made it to the seaside.

Vorsprung durch Technik*

SDM

* I know that's the Audi slogan so technically as irrelevant as the entire post.

In this day and age i'm surprised no video clip to go with best story of the year so far.

i have another explanation .He forgot to take the new car to the Temple for it's blessing before he went to the Beach

Next time Somchai.